[Q] Problem while downgrading Desire Z

Search This thread

ammm84

Mar 4, 2012
Hello!
In order to became root, I'm trying to downgrade my European Desire Z, following your guide
I have make a (big) mistake, installing T-Mobile G2 ROM, instead of Desire Z one. It tuns on without normally, on froyo, but home, menu, back, search, and trackpad keys doesn't work.
I have tried to repeat the process of the guide, but in the step:
$ /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start FAA90000 -end FFFFFFFF

or

$ /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start 10000000 -end 1FFFFFFF
$ /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start 20000000 -end 2FFFFFFF
$ /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start 30000000 -end 3FFFFFFF
$ /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start F0000000 -end FFFFFFFF
$ /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start E0000000 -end EFFFFFFF

It can't explot the device, and cannot became temp root. So, I can't change software version.

I get permroot using Visionary + 14 (got superuser icon on my menu), but when I access to adb shell, I don't get # as the administrator, do I can't change software version.

Does anybody have some idea to change the software version number and get my device working again?

Thanks! And sorry about my bad english

ammm84

Mar 4, 2012
When I try to run in recovery mode, the device draws a little phone with a red exclamation in the center of the screen. But doesn't boot. I'm at the officce now. When I arrive home, I'll try both solutions

Thanks for your help Android_Monsters and ilbeppez ;-)

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
When I try to run in recovery mode, the device draws a little phone with a red exclamation in the center of the screen. But doesn't boot. I'm at the officce now. When I arrive home, I'll try both solutions

That's the stock recovery. You need another key combination to get past that screen into the next one. I can't remember what that is though, and don't have stock recovery on my phone to try.

Edit - I think it's Power and Volume Up that you have to press (together).

Sent from my Desire Z running CM7.

Last edited:

ammm84

Mar 4, 2012
Can you get into flashboot and flash the right rom?

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

I have tried to flash the right rom via flashboot, but when I type:
fastboot-windows flash zip StockRom.zip

I get an error telling: remote:
02 remote data lenght is too large

Any clue?

I have read something about different partitions on G2 and Desire Z. May this be the problem?

Some data about my device:
VISION PVT SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.82.0000
MICROP-0425
RADIO-26.03.02.26_M
eMMC-boot

Last edited:

ammm84

Mar 4, 2012
Ok, I'm going to try to perm root and S-OFF now.

The device has 1.22 software (I think: Android version 2.2, build number:1.22 )

But...If doesn't matters G2 rom to be flashed, why doesn't the front keys work?? (home, menu, back, search and trackpad)

What about this?: Note also that the dz, g2, and dhd each use their own version of the engineering boot, as the phones are partitioned differently. (If you have previously installed the wrong HBOOT for your phone, you may need to reflash everything after partition 18)

Thanks for all again!

Last edited:

Nipqer

Mar 14, 2011
Asus Zenfone 9
From memory that error means you're trying to flash a G2 rom onto a DZ (or the other way round), or you're trying to do it in hboot rather than fastboot mode.

Do you see a black screen with a silver htc logo when you try run the fastboot flash command?

-Nipqer

ammm84

Mar 4, 2012
Yes Nipqer. I have a Desire Z. I'm trying to downgrade in order to became root. But I make a mistake flashing the G2 PC10IMG.zip into device. Now my DZ thinks that he is a G2, but front keys doesn't work.

Yes, when I'm trying to run the command, silver htc logo is on the screen.

ammm84

Mar 4, 2012
I have tried what you tell me, rooting device as said on the wiki, but after this step:

We call these two md5_2 and md5_3 in the next section

If md5_3 matches md5_1: gfree 0.7 failed to powercycle your emmc chip. Either your software version is to high and you did not downgrade (see "Downgrading HTC Desire Z and Desire HD" in the beginning of this guide) or you did something wrong. Try again or join #G2ROOT on Freenode and ask for help!

If md5_3 does not match md5_1 and md5_3 does not match md5_2: First DON'T REBOOT and second run for help at #G2ROOT on Freenode.

If md5_3 matches md5_2: You are fine, Reboot your phone by executing the following command in the root shell (indicated by the #):

# reboot

Green HTC logo gets freezed on the screen, and doesn't start. Obviously, md5_3 matches md5_2
I want to kill myself.

Edit: When I try to enter recovery, it has detected the original rom on the SD, and has started updating. I will write tomorrow with the results!
Thanks!!

Last edited:

ammm84

Mar 4, 2012
As I told you, after the reboot, my desire gets freezed on the green HTC logo. I have Desire Z stock froyo ROM downloaded from the downgrading tutorial here, and it has detected it, and started installing it. Now the device starts perfect, and except the trackpad, all the buttons works perfect.
I think I need to install the Desire Z HBoot. Do I need? Will this solve the problem of the trackpad? I want to change the rom, an don’t know if trackpad won’t work with other roms.

Is there someway to make a donation to this forum?

H

hoffmas

...if you want to install sense 3+ roms you have to change your hboot to the dz one (use the link nipqer provided)

and remove the pc10img.zip from your sdcard (otherwise it will always update if you try to enter recovery)

donations are not necessary, use the thanks button

EDIT: be sure that your bootloader shows s-off and you have root !

lineaira

Mar 28, 2010
Hboot

As I told you, after the reboot, my desire gets freezed on the green HTC logo. I have Desire Z stock froyo ROM downloaded from the downgrading tutorial here, and it has detected it, and started installing it. Now the device starts perfect, and except the trackpad, all the buttons works perfect.
I think I need to install the Desire Z HBoot. Do I need? Will this solve the problem of the trackpad? I want to change the rom, an don’t know if trackpad won’t work with other roms.

First, to load an custom rom you do need load the Desire Z engineering HBoot. If you have done so, you need to flash a recovery image (I use Clockworkmod) and install a custom rom for your vision (this is done in the tutorials further down this post).

Second, the trackpad should be set in the keylayout, if the wrong keynumbers are assigned to the trackpad functions it won't work. But this is indeed set in the rom. (on an rooted device you can access the configuration file trough an root explorer, like ESFileExplorer, just download from the market.., the keyboardlayout files are in /system/usr/keylayout/ depending on your rom you can edit these files, mostly qwerty.kl Generic.kl vision-keypad.kl or vision-keypad-wwe.kl, this should look something like this:
key 232 DPAD_CENTER WAKE_DROPPED
key 108 DPAD_DOWN WAKE_DROPPED
key 103 DPAD_UP WAKE_DROPPED
key 105 DPAD_LEFT WAKE_DROPPED
key 106 DPAD_RIGHT WAKE_DROPPED

in all those files... depending on your rom.)

So HBoot won't fix your trackpad problems, it's all set in the rom. HBoot just enables you to load custom roms. If you wan't to stick with your current rom, you need to look if those settings are correct.

NOTE:
If you can't edit the file but you can read them, first check in the explorer settings if /system/ is mounted read/write, if so and you still can't edit the files
you can use an adb shell to chmod the file to 777 by typing:
Code:
adb shell
su -
cd /system/usr/
chmod -r 777 keylayout

OR do the the same from the phone through an terminal emulator:
Code:
su -
cd /system/usr/
chmod -r 777 keylayout

and change again.

Follow for Desire Z (only from Froyo or Gingerbread, but as you said you're on Froyo already) this tutorial to install HBOOT and gain root:
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/HTC_Desire_Z:_Rooting#Root.2C_S-OFF.2C_the_ClockworkMod_Recovery_.26_the_Engineering_HBoot_for_the_HTC_Desire_Z

if this ain't working it could also be that your device is an G2, but as you're on vodafone I highly doubt that... still then try this tutorial:
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/TMobile_G2:_Rooting#Rooting_the_TMobile_G2

Then you can load an custom rom, using an recovery image like Clockworkmod:
take your SD card out and put the desired rom on it. Rename the package to: update.zip
Put the SDcard back in your phone and start the phone by holding power and volume down together. The phone boots and displays the HBOOT, first it will start looking for Stockroms on your SD, if those are not there it will display an menu. Use your volume buttons to select recovery and confirm with the power button. This should restart your phone and ClockworkMod should come up. with the volume buttons or the trackpad you can select options and power and trackpad center buttons will select the options. Do a full wipe ( option: wipe data or something similar) go to advanced options and wipe the dalvik cache. Go back to main and select install from SD, (or again something similar, I can't remember precisely) use the update.zip you placed on your SD.

This will delete all data on your phone, but the data on your SD will be save.
After it finishes you can reboot the phone in the mainscreen. Note that the first boot with an custom rom can take up to 10 minutes to load... if the rom won't boot, no worries, just try another one. CM7 is a good one, or if you want ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich, Android 4.0.3) try Andromadus or CM9 (CM9 is not yet officially deployed and needs some work with the microphone and camera, apps as gstrings and voicesearch won't work yet, unless you manually use the audiodrivers from JIBwitch) I can't say anything about Andromadus, as I didn't test that rom yet.

CyanogenMod 9 pre-Alpha

Andromadus Rom

Reactions: ammm84

syaiful_86

Mar 3, 2012
First, to load an custom rom you do need load the Desire Z engineering HBoot. If you have done so, you need to flash a recovery image (I use Clockworkmod) and install a custom rom for your vision (this is done in the tutorials further down this post).

Second, the trackpad should be set in the keylayout, if the wrong keynumbers are assigned to the trackpad functions it won't work. But this is indeed set in the rom. (on an rooted device you can access the configuration file trough an root explorer, like ESFileExplorer, just download from the market.., the keyboardlayout files are in /system/usr/keylayout/ depending on your rom you can edit these files, mostly qwerty.kl Generic.kl vision-keypad.kl or vision-keypad-wwe.kl, this should look something like this:

So HBoot won't fix your trackpad problems, it's all set in the rom. HBoot just enables you to load custom roms. If you wan't to stick with your current rom, you need to look if those settings are correct.

NOTE:
If you can't edit the file but you can read them, first check in the explorer settings if /system/ is mounted read/write, if so and you still can't edit the files
Code:
adb shell
su -
cd /system/usr/
chmod -r 777 keylayout

Code:
su -
cd /system/usr/
chmod -r 777 keylayout

and change again.

Follow for Desire Z (only from Froyo or Gingerbread, but as you said you're on Froyo already) this tutorial to install HBOOT and gain root:
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/HTC_Desire_Z:_Rooting#Root.2C_S-OFF.2C_the_ClockworkMod_Recovery_.26_the_Engineering_HBoot_for_the_HTC_Desire_Z

if this ain't working it could also be that your device is an G2, but as you're on vodafone I highly doubt that... still then try this tutorial:

take your SD card out and put the desired rom on it. Rename the package to: update.zip
Put the SDcard back in your phone and start the phone by holding power and volume down together. The phone boots and displays the HBOOT, first it will start looking for Stockroms on your SD, if those are not there it will display an menu. Use your volume buttons to select recovery and confirm with the power button. This should restart your phone and ClockworkMod should come up. with the volume buttons or the trackpad you can select options and power and trackpad center buttons will select the options. Do a full wipe ( option: wipe data or something similar) go to advanced options and wipe the dalvik cache. Go back to main and select install from SD, (or again something similar, I can't remember precisely) use the update.zip you placed on your SD.

After it finishes you can reboot the phone in the mainscreen. Note that the first boot with an custom rom can take up to 10 minutes to load... if the rom won't boot, no worries, just try another one. CM7 is a good one, or if you want ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich, Android 4.0.3) try Andromadus or CM9 (CM9 is not yet officially deployed and needs some work with the microphone and camera, apps as gstrings and voicesearch won't work yet, unless you manually use the audiodrivers from JIBwitch) I can't say anything about Andromadus, as I didn't test that rom yet.

CyanogenMod 9 pre-Alpha

Andromadus Rom

huhuhu

to many link ... sorry for this stupid question... there anyway that i can get tutorial to downgrade the software or to restock original software (android froyo)?

coz im suspecting my DZ problem coz by software...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1533329

lineaira

Mar 28, 2010
huhuhu

to many link ... sorry for this stupid question... there anyway that i can get tutorial to downgrade the software or to restock original software (android froyo)?

I don't mind questions :D, besides, stupid questions don't exist, only stupid answers.
The tutorial I used to downgrade my Vision is:
For HTC Desire Z

For T-mobile G2

just follow it by heart and don't panic if you do not understand something. If you just copy paste the commands all should go well.
After that use the links I posted in my previous post for rooting..

Reactions: syaiful_86

ammm84

Mar 4, 2012
Now, I'm root, and S-Off. I want to install the HBoot of the DZ, but how can I know wich HBOOT I have? after my problem instaling the first ROM, I don't know wich HBOOT I have, and this warning of the tutorial frigtens to me:
DesireZ users, none of this applies to you unless you flashed the G2 HBOOT at some point, such as when you rooted. While the process has been tested on my own device and several testers, there remains a small amount of risk of bricking your phone. I think it is unlikely but I will not be responsible if it happens; consider yourself warned.

In another hand on the trackpad problem, I have opened qwerty.kl, and at the middle, more or less, I have found waht you tell me:

However, in vision-keypad.kl, and vision-keypad-wwe.kl, there is a part of the text with the tittle #not use in vision:
#232 DPAD_CENTER WAKE DROPPED

But nothing about 108, 103, 105, and 106

Do I need to erase the "#", and type the rest of the keys?

lineaira

Mar 28, 2010
Yesh, you should do so. Then it should work.

And if you followed the guide I provided, you should have the Engineering HBOOT, and you should be able to flash any rom you like...
And that message has to be there, because rooting and such will always bring the slight risk of bricking your phone.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA

Last edited:

ammm84

Mar 4, 2012
I have no permission to write in System folder. I have tried to do what you tell me:
Code:
adb shell
su -
cd /system/usr/
chmod -r 777 keylayout

but after typing the last command, I get a message:

Code:
Bad mode

By terminal emulator, I get the same error

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can still root using the wiki instructions if your on g2 froyo.
    You shouldn't have used visionary, its evil.
    If you perm-root using the wiki, you can then flash a dz hboot following these instructions

-Nipqer
    Hboot

NOTE:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su -
    cd /system/usr/
    chmod -r 777 keylayout

Code:
    su -
    cd /system/usr/
    chmod -r 777 keylayout

and change again.

CyanogenMod 9 pre-Alpha

Andromadus Rom
    huhuhu

I don't mind questions :D, besides, stupid questions don't exist, only stupid answers.
    The tutorial I used to downgrade my Vision is:
    For HTC Desire Z

For T-mobile G2

just follow it by heart and don't panic if you do not understand something. If you just copy paste the commands all should go well.
    After that use the links I posted in my previous post for rooting..
    I have done te log:

I think that lines are enought. qwerty.kl and vision-keypad-esn.kl are the files of interest. Isn't it? Must the h2w_headset.kl must be modified too? Appears to be the calling profile.

You are totally right, I'd modify that one too, but only if the rest of the key's are also defined in that kl file.
    You could always try though.

If it isn't working, the only option I see is flashing another rom and check if it works there. (If you use ClockworkMod Recovery you can easily backup your current rom and put it back, later on)
    I wonder what isn't working in this one... but as I said, if it doesn't work in other roms.. then I'm afraid it's just broken... although you can always try to unroot and such, but still.

(Just finished writing my tutorial on how to do it in my previous post, posted it, oh, new post, ahh, that was time wasted... oh well)
    Firstly, chmod is telling you you used it wrong. Notice how it prints out the correct syntax? you forgot a space between the 777 and the /data/local/tmp.
    Next, the not found error could be a caused by a whole heap of things, though I'm guessing you didn't push it properly

-Nipqer