[FULL TUTORIAL] How to Root OF1

Search This thread
Nov 22, 2015
wherever i reside
Full credit goes to Edgardo_Uchicha for discovering this method. This is just a very specific tutorial using his process.

*DISCLAIMER* - EVEN THOUGH THERE IS A VERY MINUTE CHANCE OF ANYTHING HAPPENING TO YOUR DEVICE, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT MAY OCCUR. FURTHERMORE ALL OF THE PROGRAMS USED IN THIS TUTORIAL BELONG TO THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS AND I DO NOT NOR DO I CLAIM TO OWN ANY OF THEM.

Now that we've got the boring stuff out of the way, lets get on with the tutorial.

This exact method that i will be showing you is the method that I used to root my own Samsung Galaxy S4 on Verizon.

First, you will want to download all of the files needed. I have created a zip file right here containing all of the programs / files that we will be using.

Step 1: First things first, were going to enable 'USB Debugging' on our S4. Go into the 'Settings > About phone.' Find the build number and tap it repeatedly until you get a message saying 'You are now a developer'. Go back into the settings and you should see 'Developer options' right above 'About phone'. Click on that. Once your in developer options, scroll until you see a 'USB debugging' option. Tap on it and hit 'OK' on the warning prompt that appears.

Step 2: After that switch over to your computer. Unzip the zip file that you downloaded earlier. Run the 'SamsungDrivers.exe' program to install the necessary drivers. Extract the file titled 'Odin3_v3.10.7.zip' as well as we will be using that to flash our kernel later on. Also run the 'mobilego_setup_full818.exe' because that will be the program we will be using to obtain root.

Step 3: Now go back to your S4 and shut it down. Once its shutdown, hold the 'Volume down', 'Home button', and 'Power button' to boot your device into download mode. When you get to a confirmation prompt, click the 'Volume up' button to continue. Once you see the android guy and text saying "Downloading..." your at the right place. Plug your phone into your computer and launch 'Odin3 v3.10.7.exe' from the zip we extracted earlier. You should see a message saying 'Added!!' If you don't see that message, you probably didn't install the drivers correctly. Click the button that says 'AP' and navigate to the unziped file and find the file titled 'OC1_kernel.tar.md5'. Select that file. Once Odin loads the file, click the 'Start' button. The flashing of the kernel should only take a few seconds and you should see your device reboot like normal.

Step 4: Now that you are rebooted MAKE SURE TO unlock your device. The MobileGo application on your computer should automatically sense your device. When the little alert windows from MobileGo pops up, click the 'Manage' button. It should start a whole process during which a confirmation with a bunch of random looking characters will probably popup on your S4. Click 'OK' when that pops up. Once that happens then just wait. The MobileGo application will be flashing an app to your device. When it does there will probably be another popup on your device from google. Just click the 'Decline' button and keep on letting it do its thing. When it's done, you should see your device in the MobileGo application along with a button that says 'One-Click Root'. Click on this button. While it might seem like it's taking a while, it's just running the rooting process. After a few minutes, you should get a popup on your computer saying that root was successful.

Step 5 (optional but HIGHLY recommended): Install Supersu. For those of you that don't know, Supersu is a root manager app than makes sure you are asked before an app gets root permission. To install it it's as simple as going to the play store and downloading it. Once you've downloaded it, open the app and it will ask you what recovery you have installed. Click the 'Normal' button and let it run. It should say that it was successful and from there hit the "Reboot" button to fully apply it.

Step 6 (optional but also HIGHLY recommended): Flashing the newer kernel. By flashing the newer 'OF1_kernel.tar.md5' you will not lose root and you will get rid of a very pesky message that pops up every time you do something with root on the OC1 kernel. There really is no downside to it and it only takes a minute. Repeat 'Step 3' but instead of selecting the 'OC1_kernel.tar.md5' choose the 'OF1_kernel.tar.md5'. Once it flashes your phone should automatically reboot and be rooted on the latest kernel.

All comments, feedback and questions are appreciated as this is my first post ever to XDA Forums.

Thanks!

Last edited:

jwhistler

Aug 23, 2010
TCL 10 5G
Moto G Stylus 5G
I followed this guide as written and everything worked perfectly. Could not be easier! Very happy to have root again on my S4 OF1!

Just to reiterate, once you click the "one click root" button in MobilGO, be patient. It does take a long time...close to 5 minutes in my case, so don't get all antsy! :)

Many thanks to the OP for this clear and concise guide!

Reactions: ZDeuce2
Nov 22, 2015
wherever i reside
I followed this guide as written and everything worked perfectly. Could not be easier! Very happy to have root again on my S4 OF1!

Just to reiterate, once you click the "one click root" button in MobilGO, be patient. It does take a long time...close to 5 minutes in my case, so don't get all antsy! :)

Glad I could help!:good:

PalmCentro

Dec 8, 2014
█ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂
Full credit goes to Edgardo_Uchicha for discovering this method. This is just a very specific tutorial using his process.

*DISCLAIMER* - EVEN THOUGH THERE IS A VERY MINUTE CHANCE OF ANYTHING HAPPENING TO YOUR DEVICE, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT MAY OCCUR. FURTHERMORE ALL OF THE PROGRAMS USED IN THIS TUTORIAL BELONG TO THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS AND I DO NOT NOR DO I CLAIM TO OWN ANY OF THEM.

Now that we've got the boring stuff out of the way, lets get on with the tutorial.

This exact method that i will be showing you is the method that I used to root my own Samsung Galaxy S4 on Verizon.

First, you will want to download all of the files needed. I have created a zip file right here containing all of the programs / files that we will be using.

Step 1: First things first, were going to enable 'USB Debugging' on our S4. Go into the 'Settings > About phone.' Find the build number and tap it repeatedly until you get a message saying 'You are now a developer'. Go back into the settings and you should see 'Developer options' right above 'About phone'. Click on that. Once your in developer options, scroll until you see a 'USB debugging' option. Tap on it and hit 'OK' on the warning prompt that appears.

Step 2: After that switch over to your computer. Unzip the zip file that you downloaded earlier. Run the 'SamsungDrivers.exe' program to install the necessary drivers. Extract the file titled 'Odin3_v3.10.7.zip' as well as we will be using that to flash our kernel later on. Also run the 'mobilego_setup_full818.exe' because that will be the program we will be using to obtain root.

Step 3: Now go back to your S4 and shut it down. Once its shutdown, hold the 'Volume down', 'Home button', and 'Power button' to boot your device into download mode. When you get to a confirmation prompt, click the 'Volume up' button to continue. Once you see the android guy and text saying "Downloading..." your at the right place. Plug your phone into your computer and launch 'Odin3 v3.10.7.exe' from the zip we extracted earlier. You should see a message saying 'Added!!' If you don't see that message, you probably didn't install the drivers correctly. Click the button that says 'AP' and navigate to the unziped file and find the file titled 'OC1_kernel.tar.md5'. Select that file. Once Odin loads the file, click the 'Start' button. The flashing of the kernel should only take a few seconds and you should see your device reboot like normal.

Step 4: Now that you are rebooted MAKE SURE TO unlock your device. The MobileGo application on your computer should automatically sense your device. When the little alert windows from MobileGo pops up, click the 'Manage' button. It should start a whole process during which a confirmation with a bunch of random looking characters will probably popup on your S4. Click 'OK' when that pops up. Once that happens then just wait. The MobileGo application will be flashing an app to your device. When it does there will probably be another popup on your device from google. Just click the 'Decline' button and keep on letting it do its thing. When it's done, you should see your device in the MobileGo application along with a button that says 'One-Click Root'. Click on this button. While it might seem like it's taking a while, it's just running the rooting process. After a few minutes, you should get a popup on your computer saying that root was successful.

Step 5 (optional but HIGHLY recommended): Install Supersu. For those of you that don't know, Supersu is a root manager app than makes sure you are asked before an app gets root permission. To install it it's as simple as going to the play store and downloading it. Once you've downloaded it, open the app and it will ask you what recovery you have installed. Click the 'Normal' button and let it run. It should say that it was successful and from there hit the "Reboot" button to fully apply it.

Step 6 (optional but also HIGHLY recommended): Flashing the newer kernel. By flashing the newer 'OF1_kernel.tar.md5' you will not lose root and you will get rid of a very pesky message that pops up every time you do something with root on the OC1 kernel. There really is no downside to it and it only takes a minute. Repeat 'Step 3' but instead of selecting the 'OC1_kernel.tar.md5' choose the 'OF1_kernel.tar.md5'. Once it flashes your phone should automatically reboot and be rooted on the latest kernel.

All comments, feedback and questions are appreciated as this is my first post ever to XDA Forums.

Thanks!
One second. What's wrong with the original thread???
Ummmm :confused:

Syconder

Nov 23, 2015
trouble with a black screen

after using your method and getting though step three the device rebooted , the sounds came on and everything seems fine except once the virzon red boot up screen is supposed to come on the screen just goes dark and doesn't turn on, the sounds still work, but the hard buttons on the bottom dont light up either, any suggestions on how to fix it, and i can pull the battery and get into download mode as well.

Nov 22, 2015
wherever i reside
after using your method and getting though step three the device rebooted , the sounds came on and everything seems fine except once the virzon red boot up screen is supposed to come on the screen just goes dark and doesn't turn on, the sounds still work, but the hard buttons on the bottom dont light up either, any suggestions on how to fix it, and i can pull the battery and get into download mode as well.

First of all, sorry about your trouble. If it happened to me I would recommend to do step 6 and flash the OF1 kernel to your device. I've been in a similar situation before and I've found that updating the kernel with make it work perfectly again.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2015
wherever i reside

***ATTENTION!!!! - THIS WILL FACTORY RESET YOUR DEVICE AND YOU WILL LOSE ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA. USE AS A LAST RESORT***

If flashing the OF1 kernel doesn't work for you then try using this program made by Verizon. After you install the program, boot your device into download mode. Once in download mode plug your S4 into your computer and launch the Verizon program. Click on the repair assistant tab and you should see your device listed - it might take a minute of two to sense your phone. Once it's listed, click on it and then click the repair button. It might take a while depending on your connection but the Verizon program will reflash your device with the latest software. Don't worry though, the latest version is still running the OF1 kernel and if fully root-able using the method described in my post. Hope everything works for you!

hankscaddy

Mar 27, 2011
Root Failed

It appears that oc1_kernel.tar.md5 is applied successfully. In step 4, once I hit one click root, it says Verizon SCH-I545 root failed. When I run getprop ro.bootloader, it still shows I545VRUGOF1. Does anyone have any recommendations of what I'm doing wrong?

tdwpgtp

Nov 23, 2015
So I just successfully flashed my OF1 S4 to OC1 using the steps listed. I'm interested in installing a new ROM, but have read that only touchwiz based ROMs are currently compatible. If this is the case, what are my options? I'm very new to this and am not really sure what is available to use, given that I currently have lollipop. Sorry for the (probably) stupid questions that you probably hear all of the time

Nov 22, 2015
wherever i reside
It appears that oc1_kernel.tar.md5 is applied successfully. In step 4, once I hit one click root, it says Verizon SCH-I545 root failed. When I run getprop ro.bootloader, it still shows I545VRUGOF1. Does anyone have any recommendations of what I'm doing wrong?

Even after you update the kernel, it will still show up as I545VRUGOF1 but in reality it has changed and it rootable. All I can recommend is reflashing the kernel and retrying the root method. You might have to try rooting more than once.

Nov 22, 2015
wherever i reside
So I just successfully flashed my OF1 S4 to OC1 using the steps listed. I'm interested in installing a new ROM, but have read that only touchwiz based ROMs are currently compatible. If this is the case, what are my options? I'm very new to this and am not really sure what is available to use, given that I currently have lollipop. Sorry for the (probably) stupid questions that you probably hear all of the time

I'm not going to lie, I'm actually pretty new to the ROM flashing on the S4 although I have done it on multiple other devices. However, from the things that I've read and tried I would say not to flash any ROM on the OF1 of OC1 kernel. I have tried a few that were and weren't trouchwiz compatible and with all of them they bricked my device and it was really a pain to undo it. I would just say to steer clear of any ROM flashing until a dedicated post comes out for it with someone who's a bit more knowledgeable on the topic for the S4 with the OF1 kernel. Until then sorry but I don't have any definitive answer and I would recommend not trying anything due to the fact that you could SERIOUSLY mess up your phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks!
    One second. What's wrong with the original thread???
    Ummmm :confused:

This is just for any beginner user who want to root their S4. You have to remember that not everyone is on the same level and I know when I got into rooting I appreciated the very in-depth tutorials that I found.
    So this works if I have accepted the OTA for OF1?

Yes