Intrusive ads? Post here!

Search This thread

TechAttack

Oct 16, 2011
I'm still getting the odd mobrewards.org ad but it seems they have also set up shop at another URL: mobgifts.org

These ads are identical and just as intrusive. They're really getting in the way of me browsing xda by hijacking every other tab that I open :(

leo321

Jan 15, 2011
Johnson City, TN
I'm still getting the odd mobrewards.org ad but it seems they have also set up shop at another URL: mobgifts.org

These ads are identical and just as intrusive. They're really getting in the way of me browsing xda by hijacking every other tab that I open :(

I hope chrome apps become available on chrome beta... ad blocker all the way :cool:

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
I find the video ads at the bottom of the page perticularly frustrating as the suddenly start playing audio without warning. Have to keep my PC on Mute all the time if I'm checking XDA.

I don't mind ads, but the video ones need to go.

Reactions: Major_Sarcasm

TechAttack

Oct 16, 2011
If you're rooted, just use AdFree. Works flawlessly, gets rid of in-app ads too.

Nobody seemed to pay attention to what I said when I said it a while back :rolleyes:

Also, I love your reason for editing post 'I haz gud grammer skilz' :')

Thanks to everyone who mentioned AdFree!

Is it worth adding any of the additional ad block lists featured on the developer's website?

Or would this slow browsing down by having thousands of records in the hosts file?

irrelephant

Jan 17, 2010
Houston
First time i have ever had it happen and it scared the crap out of me!!! AUDIO/VIDEO ads at the end of posts in a thread... I couldn't get a screen capture of it as I closed the window rather quickly after finding the source of the noise... But it woke up the wife as I was in the bed with my laptop!!! SAY NO TO AUDIO/VIDEO ADS PLEASE!!!

leo321

Jan 15, 2011
Johnson City, TN
First time i have ever had it happen and it scared the crap out of me!!! AUDIO/VIDEO ads at the end of posts in a thread... I couldn't get a screen capture of it as I closed the window rather quickly after finding the source of the noise... But it woke up the wife as I was in the bed with my laptop!!! SAY NO TO AUDIO/VIDEO ADS PLEASE!!!

Do you think that's an appropriate avatar to have on a public forum? Kids use this site man.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Reactions: tonyram57

fridgie

Jan 26, 2012
Brisbane

Happens to me all the time. Please no audio/video ads. Hate trying to find which one of the 15 threads I have opened is making the racket.

molesarecoming

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 12, 2012
Berlin
this is getting awful - im surfing with alot of tabs open and suddenly my browser starts to talk or broadcast stupid football games, im clicking and sifting through my tabs to find out which is the one bugging me and its xda. its gotten so bad i cannot use the site without switching off sound - what the heck is that, please fix that.

chazam

Nov 26, 2005
Thurrock
gplus.to
I have no idea what this ad is for (thank you lack of Flash, Chrome) but even without the applet loading it's intrusive enough. :(

Still getting the odd Mobprizes redirect too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-06-17-14-51-39.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-06-17-14-51-39.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 161

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The internet is full of advertisments and let's face it, almost every site that has an ounce of traffic uses ad revenue. The intention of xda is not to burden its members with ads that distract from the user experience. With that being said, if you have a problematic ad, please take a screenshot of the ad and post here so admin can take care of it. right now, that is the solution in place.

Thanks for your help in keeping XDA "intrusive ad free".

XDA:DevDB Information
    Intrusive ads? Post here!, ROM for the General Discussion

Contributors
    TheRomMistress
    ROM OS Version: 2.3.x Gingerbread

Version Information

Created 2016-03-03
    Last Updated 2016-03-03
    +1 Im annoyed with these redirected fake sites and sites that auto start downloading mobogenie apk

Its Going To Be LEGEND--Wait For it--DARY!-Barney Stinson(How I Met Your Mother)

+2 Avast is now blocking the entire xda site whenever these adds pop up.

Is this forum a ship with no captain, this has been going on for nearly a week, do the owners not care at all?
    time to do something

So tonight I drop by and am confronted with an ad that obscures a large portion of the bottom screen. It is inescapable and makes the site unreadable so I click it in the hope that it goes away after the obligatory popup... no such luck. It remains on the page. I go to scroll the page and trigger another ad on the right hand side. Christ almighty, can xda please accept some responsibility for the general usability of the site? Right now it's not happening and the site is borderline stupid to use. Ive been around a long time here and have heard every argument about ads and their role in modern development... I get it, I support it and want every dev to wildly succeed. This isn't about that. This is about xda making a decision to commit to usability and striking a better balance between content and advertising than what we have today because its not working as it stands. Thanks for the rant
    Just want you guys to know we're monitoring this thread.

We want you to have a good browsing experience. Thanks for the heads up and keep it coming.
    For last couple of weeks, I've been experiencing an EXTREMELY ANNOYING pop-up ads problem on XDA Forums. It's so frustrating I cannot browse this forum from my phone anymore. And it's definately not about my device/software. I tried every possible software solution but still no luck and I have this problem on more than one device. All these spam/ads are coming from the same website: itt-edu.us and they these ads claim that I have virus on my device, my device is slow or outdated etc and they redirect me to some software called 360 Security on Play Store. These ads keeps poping up unless I close the tab in browser. Here are some screenshots from these ads I've been talking about, they are all in Turkish(my native language): http://imgur.com/a/Yam1D
    Here is a thread about the issue from another user: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s6/help/question-spam-t3278835
    And here is a thread from a local forum, these people also claim that issue is about XDA itself not our devices: http://forum.donanimhaber.com/m_112937991/tm.htm