Simple TWRP instructions for flashing ROMs

Search This thread

@wells

Feb 3, 2014
Zagreb, HR
So many posts with errors while flashing custom ROMs and flaming it then. No need.

Always flash latest TWRP found here:

http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/hammerhead

To flash recovery use fastboot:

fastboot devices

(some number should appear here)

fastboot flash recovery

Or you can use Flashify or similar if already rooted. But, go ahead and learn to fastboot.

(Thanks to @simms22 for telling me to clarify)

first thing you want to do is backup your EFS partition in twrp and copy it to safe place (aka your computer or some secure cloud) - thanks to @gee2012 for headsup.

So now to the ROM flashing / fun part:

Installing custom ROMS/Gapps packages (thanks to @kufikugel for headsup)

Go to Wipe -> Advanced, format system (as your previous custom ROM/Gapps has most probably added backup scripts in system/addon.d), data, cache & dalvik. reboot recovery. flash new ROM & gapps as you would usually.

Easy? :)

Peace!

Last edited:

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
lol, you didnt include instructions on how to flash twrp in your instructions post. maybe you should add instructions?
anyways, twrp is flashed via fastboot, not recovery. you can also flash it with the flashify app if you already have root(or the twrp manager app). also, wiping one time is too much. you never ever need to wipe when flashing a recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: @wells

@wells

Feb 3, 2014
Zagreb, HR
update: even with 2.7.0.0 you'll most probably run into issues flashing ROM if you format system and don't reboot recovery.. so just do it.

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
I'm well aware I am n00b in your eyes, but still.. so many posts with TWRP 2.6.3.4 errors while flashing custom ROMs and flaming it then. No need.

fastboot devices

fastboot flash recovery <filename.img>

Or you can use Flashify or similar if already rooted. But, go ahead and learn to fastboot.

Don't wipe system as most ROM scripts will do it for you or if you do, unmount system before flashing (or even better just reboot recovery and then flash your custom ROM).

Also, no need to wipe multiple times anything before custom ROM flashing, it does nothing, just once is enough and just factory reset is usually enough, no need for advanced wipes.

Hope this helps somebody, mods if you think this should go away, just make it go away, not trying to be clever one.

Peace!

Maybe its usefull to add/mention the option to backup the EFS folder in TWRP and users should copy it to the PC once they backed it up :)

Last edited:

kufikugel

Aug 12, 2012
Well I would prefer when you add the hint that switching ROMs or gapps packages the user should wipe manually system prior the flash.

It is right that every ROM flash will format the system partition. But all ROMs have since long time backup scripts (for gapps and such things). When you flash a ROM it searches for this scripts, all things mentioned in the script will be copied to the data partition.... ROM formats the system partition installs its stuff and restores the copied stuff from data partition back.

Due that every gapps package is slightly different and as well a lot ROMs package own scripts into the addon.d folder this results always in problems. And a factory reset does not wipe this scripts. Only a manual format system.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I flashed a rom per your instructions and get force closures in play music. What should I do?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So many posts with errors while flashing custom ROMs and flaming it then. No need.

fastboot devices

fastboot flash recovery

first thing you want to do is backup your EFS partition in twrp and copy it to safe place (aka your computer or some secure cloud) - thanks to @gee2012 for headsup.

Installing custom ROMS/Gapps packages (thanks to @kufikugel for headsup)

Go to Wipe -> Advanced, format system (as your previous custom ROM/Gapps has most probably added backup scripts in system/addon.d), data, cache & dalvik. reboot recovery. flash new ROM & gapps as you would usually.

Peace!
    lol, you didnt include instructions on how to flash twrp in your instructions post. maybe you should add instructions?
    anyways, twrp is flashed via fastboot, not recovery. you can also flash it with the flashify app if you already have root(or the twrp manager app). also, wiping one time is too much. you never ever need to wipe when flashing a recovery.
    you mentioned about wiping. wiping is done in recovery.

There I fixed it, my post was aimed to post-installing-twrp era. Thanks! :)
    I'm well aware I am n00b in your eyes, but still.. so many posts with TWRP 2.6.3.4 errors while flashing custom ROMs and flaming it then. No need.

fastboot devices

fastboot flash recovery <filename.img>

Don't wipe system as most ROM scripts will do it for you or if you do, unmount system before flashing (or even better just reboot recovery and then flash your custom ROM).

Also, no need to wipe multiple times anything before custom ROM flashing, it does nothing, just once is enough and just factory reset is usually enough, no need for advanced wipes.

Hope this helps somebody, mods if you think this should go away, just make it go away, not trying to be clever one.

Peace!

Maybe its usefull to add/mention the option to backup the EFS folder in TWRP and users should copy it to the PC once they backed it up :)
    Well I would prefer when you add the hint that switching ROMs or gapps packages the user should wipe manually system prior the flash.

It is right that every ROM flash will format the system partition. But all ROMs have since long time backup scripts (for gapps and such things). When you flash a ROM it searches for this scripts, all things mentioned in the script will be copied to the data partition.... ROM formats the system partition installs its stuff and restores the copied stuff from data partition back.

Due that every gapps package is slightly different and as well a lot ROMs package own scripts into the addon.d folder this results always in problems. And a factory reset does not wipe this scripts. Only a manual format system.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk