[2019] New Rom for Ace, is anyone interested?

Search This thread

Mik-el

Feb 17, 2013
www.cam.tv
I can share with you a simple and minimal Android rom that could make the ace completely usable in 2018... Would you be interested?

I think that the best idea is to use Android 2.3 as base (no bloatware, no TouchWiz, and no Android 4.4 that just crazily drains battery)
I' ve tested less known apps that can still run on 2.3 (and found them very fast too). I will replace old system apps with them

I also thought that a good way to push the Ace beyond it's limit is to take a look at the Sony Xperia Play threads on xda. This phone has the same cpu/gpu and it has been supported a lot through the years (being a gaming phone, Devs has done their best to optimize performance instead of themes and useless functions)

Let me know what you want to see in this rom and I'll try to do it!
Just leave a comment with an advice :fingers-crossed: :D

----------UPDATE--------------------------
I'm creating a NEW/Better thread for my Rom, subscribe to this one to stay tuned! :D
Quick summary:

Mich-C ROM v0.5 is out! :D
Go to the post

Quick Installation Guide for this Rom :D
Go to the post

Let's choose together a theme for the rom... :D
Go to the post

...and a modern music player :D
Go to the post

Another Note: many users contacted me via PM, please post any question or request you have on this thread. Thank you.

Last edited:

tiger_kj

May 7, 2009
Hello. I just found my old Galaxy Ace on drawer and tried to use it - hard landing from Oreo :) I'll be interested and I have one friend who is still using it as a daily phone so there are two of us.

Reactions: xp10975 and Mik-el

Mik-el

Feb 17, 2013
www.cam.tv
Hello. I just found my old Galaxy Ace on drawer and tried to use it - hard landing from Oreo :) I'll be interested and I have one friend who is still using it as a daily phone so there are two of us.
Hi tiger! Thank you! :D
Would you also be interested in testing the first release of the rom?

If the project will be appreciated I' ll work on next releases even more (I could recompile the rom from source, we could change the kernel, choose more in depth oprimizations ecc)

P.S. Which are the best and last roms you installed on your ace?

jaymore95

Oct 21, 2018
Hello.

I'm interested too. I recover from dust my old Galaxy Ace II (GT-S5839i), but it is very limited in memory right now. There is no easy way to extend memory with an SD card.
Some apps are not supported on the old Gigerbread 2.3.6 (Whatsapp will not have any update anymore). I was not aware of the "4.4 draining battery probelm"

Mik-el

Feb 17, 2013
www.cam.tv
...sounds good! I just flashed a lollipop ROM, I would Like to test your ROM - the ace is a nice phone and it would be great to use it furthermore. Thank you for this project.

Thanks to you for stopping by :) Which rom did you flash?
I'm not working on themes and appearence for now, but you can show me some icon packs you'll like for this rom

Mik-el

Feb 17, 2013
www.cam.tv
Hello.

I'm interested too. I recover from dust my old Galaxy Ace II (GT-S5839i), but it is very limited in memory right now. There is no easy way to extend memory with an SD card.
Some apps are not supported on the old Gigerbread 2.3.6 (Whatsapp will not have any update anymore). I was not aware of the "4.4 draining battery probelm"
Hi jaymor,

Regarding 4.4 :
the 4.4. battery consuption problem is caused by Jellybean itself. Devs that made 4,4 roms made a wonderful job, but the the ace hardware doesn't have enough power to work on a so new new/heavy os.

Regarding Whatsapp :
I don't see any reason to don't use WA on Android 2.3
1) they stopped updating it just 4 months ago (I don't know if you have the latest version)
2) they aren't adding new features, and the most important one that is messages criptografy is supported on 2.3
3) WA does nothing else that increasing in size with each version, and you just tell us how limited storage could be annoying on old devices

Regarding GT-S5839i
I checked its specs, it seems to have 158mb of rom and support for micro-sds up to 32gb. Using a custom rom you shouldn't worry about memory.
Unfortunately you can't flash my rom (it's for s5830) I'll surely make a rom also for this device if I had a device for testing it, but first of all I have to complete this rom ;)

jaymore95

Oct 21, 2018
Hi Mich-C.
I agree with you : Whatsapp work for now on 2.3, but they announced (I cant post link in XDA, but search Google for "WhatsApp-support-for-mobile-devices" ) it will not work anymore in 2020. Same for Symbian and iOS 6 (and old dino-smartphone).
Not a big deal, but if I could refurb this phone to my kids for free, it will be cool.

Hi jaymor,

Regarding Whatsapp :
I don't see any reason to don't use WA on Android 2.3
1) they stopped updating it just 4 months ago (I don't know if you have the latest version)
2) they aren't adding new features, and the most important one that is messages criptografy is supported on 2.3
3) WA does nothing else that increasing in size with each version, and you just tell us how limited storage could be annoying on old devices

Regarding GT-S5839i
I checked its specs, it seems to have 158mb of rom and support for micro-sds up to 32gb. Using a custom rom you shouldn't worry about memory.
Unfortunately you can't flash my rom (it's for s5830) I'll surely make a rom also for this device if I had a device for testing it, but first of all I have to complete this rom ;)

Mik-el

Feb 17, 2013
www.cam.tv
Hi Mich-C.
I agree with you : Whatsapp work for now on 2.3, but they announced (I cant post link in XDA, but search Google for "WhatsApp-support-for-mobile-devices" ) it will not work anymore in 2020. Same for Symbian and iOS 6 (and old dino-smartphone).
Not a big deal, but if I could refurb this phone to my kids for free, it will be cool.
Ok, anyway we still have almost 2 year to keep using whatsapp. ;) I hope that until then it will be replaced by something else.
I would also recompile those apks to make them working on 2.3, but apps like Whatsapp (or even Telegram) are not opensource...

Mik-el

Feb 17, 2013
www.cam.tv
Mmhh, not sure... "About Phone" shows 'Android 5.0' . I never used lollipop so I cannot verify whether it is a lookalike or a ROM. Here in the forums I did not find it, maybe you had " conceptL' in mind? That one was posted here indeed as far as I remember. And that one is a CM 7.1
The showed android version can be modified by the dev.
The name of the author is probably hidden in settings or in the easter egg (touch 7 times "about phone")
Last "actual" android version that was developed fo ace is kitkat

Last edited:

Mik-el

Feb 17, 2013
www.cam.tv
What do you think about the ROM?
Well, it's a very nice rom but I find useless to fuse both the look of iOS and LineageOS on a CyanogenMod rom, it would be better If he just made a pure iOS or LineageOS looklike rom.
I like the fact that he didn't install GApps and the full Facebook app, I won't include them too in my rom too! (I'll try to do it without losing features)
My rom should also be faster than this one, or at the least I hope so ;)

Mik-el

Feb 17, 2013
www.cam.tv
Hi @Erpinoob
I'm sorry for making you and other users wait, the reasons are
1)I'm busy for the university
2)Recently I got a boot-loop I'm going to fix
3)I don't want to release 99999 versions of the rom
4)I'm including several "old" tools for android 2.3, often links are not working and so I'm still waiting for developers to provide me new links
4)I'm learning how to develop apps in Android Studio at the university, and I'm taking advantage of this creating 2-3 exclusive apps for my rom

I hope to finish the rom after christmas holidays, anyway I'll tag in the post all those who left a comment in this thread
Greetings

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can share with you a simple and minimal Android rom that could make the ace completely usable in 2018... Would you be interested?

I think that the best idea is to use Android 2.3 as base (no bloatware, no TouchWiz, and no Android 4.4 that just crazily drains battery)
    I' ve tested less known apps that can still run on 2.3 (and found them very fast too). I will replace old system apps with them

I also thought that a good way to push the Ace beyond it's limit is to take a look at the Sony Xperia Play threads on xda. This phone has the same cpu/gpu and it has been supported a lot through the years (being a gaming phone, Devs has done their best to optimize performance instead of themes and useless functions)

Let me know what you want to see in this rom and I'll try to do it!
    Just leave a comment with an advice :fingers-crossed: :D

----------UPDATE--------------------------
    I'm creating a NEW/Better thread for my Rom, subscribe to this one to stay tuned! :D
    Quick summary:

Mich-C ROM v0.5 is out! :D
    Go to the post

Quick Installation Guide for this Rom :D
    Go to the post

Let's choose together a theme for the rom... :D
    Go to the post

...and a modern music player :D
    Go to the post

Another Note: many users contacted me via PM, please post any question or request you have on this thread. Thank you.
    Download v0.5

Hello guys, since you liked the idea to test my rom...
    Here it is !!! :D

This is Rom v0.5 by Mich-C (it's just a provisional name, next build will get a more appealing name XD )

I haven't flashed it yet but it should work well like the previous build I'm currently using.
    My rom will be based on a specific rom compiled by @SpaceCaker up to version 1.0. Then I'll start working on sources ( @veloo wants to contribute)

v0.5
    Code:
    ---contains just basic apps: a launcher and 2 browsers to choose from (let me know which one do you prefer)
    ---debloated!
    ---...but I dindn't remove GApps yet, I'll do it a later time to be sure to avoid conflicts
    ---let me know if the gallery apps works, it doesn't accept to be trated as a system app (installing it normally works fine)
    ---Modified system: you can choose to install every app DIRECTLY on the external-sd!

• ---Free and Safe Download here
    • (Click on "slow download" -> "continue download")

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

We're still alive! :cool:
    TUTORIAL : How To Install Mich-C Rom

This is a quick and easy tutorial How To Install Mich-C Rom on your Galaxy Ace. The rom has not reached its definitive version yet but procedure will always be the same:

Step A: Download the right files
    1) Download the recovery file from here;
    2) Download Mich-C Rom from the first post of this thread
    3) Copy these 2 files to your sdcard​

Step B: Install Custom Recovery (ClockWorkMod Recovery)

1) Turn off the phone. Now restart it in recovery mode (just hold down the middle button and the power button);
    (Now that you are in Recovery Mode you scroll items using the volume rocker and you confirm them pressing the physical center button)
    2) Select “Apply Update From SD Card”;
    3) Select the file previously downloaded and copied to your SD card;
    4) Select "Reboot System Now" and your phone will restart;​

Step C: Install Mich-C Custom Rom

1) Reboot the phone to recovery mode (key combo already described);
    2) Select the "wipe data/factory reset" item;
    3) Select the "wipe cache partition" item;
    4) Select the "advanced" item, then select "Wipe Dalvik Cache", then use your touchscreen "back" button to reach agin the Recovery main menu;
    5)Select the "install zip from sdcard" item;
    6)Select the "choose zip from sdcard " item to search in your sdcard the ROM file. Confirm and wait for the installation to complete;
    7) Select "Reboot Sytem Now" and wait a few minutes more compared to a standard boot;
    8) Congratulazioni :laugh: you installed the rom!​