Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

Arafeh94

Apr 29, 2013
Tripoli
Is there any risk in flashing rom from XDA using an xperia flash tool???
I really care about my phone and I don't want to lose It:eek:

syung

Apr 16, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I posted a thread before about this but I wasn't able to get a complete answer, so I guess I'll ask it here:

Is it possible to flash a custom recovery without unlocking/rooting? I am trying to make a nandroid backup without rooting or unlocking, since these actions could potentially wipe the phone. I was thinking of using something like fastboot or a custom apk, but I wasn't sure if it would be able to work on most devices. I understand that different phones do different things, I was just wondering what the general rule is.

Is all user data stored in the /data partition, or is there some data stored in the /system partition as well? By user data I am referring to SMS, contacts, call logs, basic phone info (IMEI, phone number) and any application data the user has installed.

B

Bruce Wayne

Is there any risk in flashing rom from XDA using an xperia flash tool???
I really care about my phone and I don't want to lose It:eek:

Which phone do you have?
You will find instructions on flashing in every rom thread. Follow them properly and you are fine. If anything goes fine, we are here to help. If you fear, you'll never ever get something.

I posted a thread before about this but I wasn't able to get a complete answer, so I guess I'll ask it here:

Is it possible to flash a custom recovery without unlocking/rooting? I am trying to make a nandroid backup without rooting or unlocking, since these actions could potentially wipe the phone. I was thinking of using something like fastboot or a custom apk, but I wasn't sure if it would be able to work on most devices. I understand that different phones do different things, I was just wondering what the general rule is.

Is all user data stored in the /data partition, or is there some data stored in the /system partition as well? By user data I am referring to SMS, contacts, call logs, basic phone info (IMEI, phone number) and any application data the user has installed.

As for samsung phones, you can have a nandroid backup using temporary recoveries(if available) without the need of root. All the data is stored (user data) in /data partition.
/system is not used to store data afaik.
And IMEI is stored in efs partition.

A Hero Can Be Anyone. GENERAL HELP THREAD

Reactions: SUPERGITSU

syung

Apr 16, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
As for samsung phones, you can have a nandroid backup using temporary recoveries(if available) without the need of root. All the data is stored (user data) in /data partition.
/system is not used to store data afaik.
And IMEI is stored in efs partition.

Thank you, is there a similar process for HTC phones? Since I'm guessing the majority of Android phones out there are either HTC or Samsung, I should only have to worry about these two manufacturers.

B

Bruce Wayne

Thank you, is there a similar process for HTC phones? Since I'm guessing the majority of Android phones out there are either HTC or Samsung, I should only have to worry about these two manufacturers.

Yes.
You can backup your data on your desktop using adb tools. This method should work on all devices and does not require root. You can read on xda portal about it or just google it.
It will also restore the data.

Only thing required is you need to enable usb debugging in develooement options in settings.

I hope that clears up your doubts :)

syung

Apr 16, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Yes.
You can backup your data on your desktop using adb tools. This method should work on all devices and does not require root. You can read on xda portal about it or just google it.
It will also restore the data.

Only thing required is you need to enable usb debugging in develooement options in settings.

I hope that clears up your doubts :)

Are you referring to the adb backup command? I looked into that, however it only works if the phone is running Android 4.x. Since the majority of phones out there are still running gingerbread, I was wondering if there was some way to get the backups from these older devices.

B

Bruce Wayne

Are you referring to the adb backup command? I looked into that, however it only works if the phone is running Android 4.x. Since the majority of phones out there are still running gingerbread, I was wondering if there was some way to get the backups from these older devices.

Yeah.

There must be other way around.
But as I have never owned a htc device, its rather hard and also not good to answer questions on that.

psaila

Sep 19, 2009
Hi. My girlfriend has a vodafone android (gingerbread) mobile. It is having problems opening the messages prog that came stock with it. Sometimes it opens fine and sometimes it opens, keeps refreshing and closes back to home screen. Also when it opens fine I cannot delete the threads in it. How can I fix this problem? Do I have to do factory reset and if yes how can I do this with this phone?

Thanks

B

Bruce Wayne

I have xperia p
I just wan't to know about the bootlaod
how to know if it locked or not ????????????
do you know a safe way plzz answer

Please ask your question in your device's forum. Those guys know it better. I own a samsung device, so I don't know much about the sony/htc/lg devices. Please wait for someone else to answer your question.
Thanks

7he8ob

Jan 20, 2011
Rock Hill, South Carolina
Help carrier unlocking AT&T Impulse

Hi! I need some help carrier unlocking my girlfriends AT&T Huawei Impulse 4G. I called AT&T like I normally do but they said that since they don't carry the phone anymore they can't provide me a unlock code. I google searched the matter and it just list a bunch of pay sites. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this matter? Thank You! Sorry if this is a double post.

AT&T Huawei Impulse 4G U8800-51

Sipiii

Mar 7, 2013
Hi I recently try to root my RAZR xt912 and I think is just half rooted I have the super app but it says that needs us update went I try to do it the permission is unsuccessful any help please

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts