The Offical how I hard bricked my E4GT thread

Search This thread

oscarthegrouch

Jun 19, 2011
Yet you have people insisting it isn't cwm touch. How did the bricked people install touch? Was it through rom manager or hitman kernel/recovery or some other way? I'm hearing problems with touch, cm9 and ics. How come some phones are flashing fine yet loads of others are bricking?

iBustCh3rries

Jan 6, 2010
Yet you have people insisting it isn't cwm touch. How did the bricked people install touch? Was it through rom manager or hitman kernel/recovery or some other way? I'm hearing problems with touch, cm9 and ics. How come some phones are flashing fine yet loads of others are bricking?

I believe it to be the rom kernel combo... I don't think you can flash an anything while using an aosp kernel on a Twiz rom. this is my guess I'm no where near a dev and could be reaching for the heavens. I just know I wasn't using touch recovery I had just flashed cm9 kernel using mobile odin and when I tried to flash 3.1 It hung and wouldn't boot back up. which leads me to come up with the theory I have. If anyone is feeling brave enough to recreate the scenario and let me know us know what happens... please do.

Disclaimer:
I will not be held responsible for any brave soul that tries to actually recreate this. I don't recommend trying to recreate.

I've used touch recovery since release, used it to flash to and from gb/ics. what I think the problem is, is the partitions, trying to nandriod to/from different OS.

The correct way should be, tar flashes. Or flash zips to change OS, not nandriod. If you want to nandriod, flash zips/tar to the same OS, then nandriod same OS version restore.

.: sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch :.

YoungAceAtlanta

Feb 8, 2009
New York, NY
instagram.com

I think the people that aren't bricking are going the long way around to restore their phone. aka Restoring using a .tar when everyone else says "just use cwm recovery to restore" and every time someone restores using cwm flashing it with the stock android recovery CWM either hangs on data. or not work at all.. forcing people to take out their batteries.. unless you wanna leave your phone for 2 hours and see what happens..

that just my theory and what happen to me and others

theclerk74

Jun 30, 2007
Houston
I've used touch recovery since release, used it to flash to and from gb/ics. what I think the problem is, is the partitions, trying to nandriod to/from different OS.

The correct way should be, tar flashes. Or flash zips to change OS, not nandriod. If you want to nandriod, flash zips/tar to the same OS, then nandriod same OS version restore.

+1 on that theory... Although I couldn't even guess as to why. I have no idea how the process works when restoring a Nandroid versus a Zip/Tar.

Oh yeah, and you mean that you can use recovery from FB15 or FB17 to flash a GB rom? I'm assuming that if so, it would be best to use a rom with a GB modem included?

Usually I'm not scurred to flash, but this is my first Samsung, and since I use it on Cricket, I have no recourse if I screw it up! :rolleyes:

ElAguila

Mar 12, 2007
San Antonio
The dev's have posted this and it should be remembered by all who are on the ics rom's. If you want to go back to a GB rom, use odin. Period. Don't even think of flashing a GB rom thru the recovery console.

Reactions: theclerk74

theclerk74

Jun 30, 2007
Houston
Oay, got it. I'll be honest and just say that I think I had read that Odin was an option, but didn't see that it was actually the preferred method. I think it's definitely good info to put in this thread though, for people like me looking for a safe way to try the ICS leaks out.

Thanks ElAguila

sputnik767

Dec 28, 2010
Its not the touch recovery or ics. Its from temp flashing the touch recovery and wiping data.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda premium

Can you please elaborate on this "temp flashing"? I came from an Evo that was bricked in a similar way by a new touch recovery, so I am staying far away from anything like this on the E4GT until this mess is figured out.

Otherwise, if I want to try an ICS ROM and then go back to a GB ROM, would the safest method be an ODIN to install ICS and then ODIN back to GB if I need to? I will obviously not be coming anywhere near the touch recoveries, but I want to be as safe as possible with the regular recoveries as well. I'm on the previous, non-touch Rogue CWM recovery. As far as I can tell, ODIN should be safe overall, right?

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA

Nandroid restoring from Gingerbread leaks,to Froyo on OG Epic caused all kinds of Google services framework and acore force closes...I remember those days. I think hayabusa is on to something here. If I was testing Gingerbread leaks on my Epic, I always ended up flashing a stock tar in Odin then building back up

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

musclehead84

Nov 3, 2010
Falling Waters, WV
Can you please elaborate on this "temp flashing"? I came from an Evo that was bricked in a similar way by a new touch recovery, so I am staying far away from anything like this on the E4GT until this mess is figured out.

Otherwise, if I want to try an ICS ROM and then go back to a GB ROM, would the safest method be an ODIN to install ICS and then ODIN back to GB if I need to? I will obviously not be coming anywhere near the touch recoveries, but I want to be as safe as possible with the regular recoveries as well. I'm on the previous, non-touch Rogue CWM recovery. As far as I can tell, ODIN should be safe overall, right?

Temp flashing the touch recovery is done by flashing the touch recovery in the stock recovery. It would boot u into the touch recovery. Once u left recovery it would disappear. Well the problem is when I was in the touch recovery I tried to wipe data. This cause the phone to freeze. I held the power button and it wouldn't boot past the black GSII screen. Odin won't flash past data.img because my data partition and emmc is borked

Reactions: sputnik767

musclehead84

Nov 3, 2010
Falling Waters, WV

Thus could be the case but I wasn't doing this. All I did was try to wipe data on the touch recovery in ics.

stonesaber

Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere in Wisconsin
I'm sending mine in to mobiletechvideos.com tomorrow. They say that they can repair it. I bought mine off swappa and luckily have a Photon as a backup so I have no insurance or recourse when it comes to sprint. But if they can fix it for @$60, then I'll gladly pay it.

blackroseMD1

Jul 12, 2010
San Diego, CA
www.standupforkids.org
It doesnt seem to be just the Clock Work Mod Touch. It would seem that sbrissen thinks that in ICS the data partition or blocks are slightly different and this is causing errors when flashing ICS or back to GB from ICS. So id say for now stay away from ICS in general until this is completely sorted.

That wouldn't surprise me at all, actually. When I bricked mine, I could pull the battery and SD card for an hour or so, and then be able to boot back into CWM and flash CM7. It would boot into CM7, but then freeze right away. I don't think the data position was completely destroyed, just moved a bit from where it was before, which is why almost everything would hang when writing data.

Sent from The Restaurant at the End of the Universe while drinking a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster

Jahspree

Jan 2, 2011
ATL
Ive been on xda over a year and never really comment or anything but I see a growing concern about bricking. I think alot of it boils down to not reading and miscommunication. I have only used Odin once in my flashing career and that was to root my 1st ET4G. Only reason I got a second ET4G was because the white one came out. I have been back and forth between ICS and other roms using CWM ONLY, and have never encountered an issue. This is how I flash if coming ICS I flash a romm like BLAZER. NEVER RESTORE A BACKUP. them after blazer boots up I restore my nandroid from the recovery that initially came with the rom. If flashing kernels or mods I always wipe cache and dalvick doesn't matter if the dev says so or not. Sorry its so long but I dontt want to see anyone else ruin this perfect device.

EmperorX

Jan 6, 2010
Seattle
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I definitely used cwm to restore my gb nandroids (went back to miui three times) from the original cm9 builds. Alpha 1,2,3 etc. It seems that people did not start having issues until the fb17 kernel came out, sans recovery. I am very glad that I did not attempt to nandroid with the rom manager sgsII temp cwm because I think I maybe would be in this same bricked boat with you guys... The one time I decided to use Odin it appears to have saved me from a big headache.

As I said though, prior to fb17 (without recovery) I had several successful nandroids from cm9 to miui and vice versa. I think it would have to be a kernel / recovery thing?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

Jahspree

Jan 2, 2011
ATL
Dont know if its the kernel cause im on it now as we speak with no issues. But your definitely right about the nandroids through rom manager. Thats where it seems most people mess up. Either Odin or flash a fresh rom with a recovery then go from there.

blackroseMD1

Jul 12, 2010
San Diego, CA
www.standupforkids.org
I definitely used cwm to restore my gb nandroids (went back to miui three times) from the original cm9 builds. Alpha 1,2,3 etc. It seems that people did not start having issues until the fb17 kernel came out, sans recovery. I am very glad that I did not attempt to nandroid with the rom manager sgsII temp cwm because I think I maybe would be in this same bricked boat with you guys... The one time I decided to use Odin it appears to have saved me from a big headache.

As I said though, prior to fb17 (without recovery) I had several successful nandroids from cm9 to miui and vice versa. I think it would have to be a kernel / recovery thing?

It was actually the FB17 kernel that killed it for me. Before that, I was able to flash back and forth with no issues. I went to flash FB17 (before SteadyHawkin released his version) and it borked 3G. After that was when things went to hell.

EmperorX

Jan 6, 2010
Seattle
Google Pixel 6 Pro
It was actually the FB17 kernel that killed it for me. Before that, I was able to flash back and forth with no issues. I went to flash FB17 (before SteadyHawkin released his version) and it borked 3G. After that was when things went to hell.

I had the exact same scenario... Except after 3g was borked I odined back to el29 and started the process over again... I flashed everything and ended up at the same point (yet again). However, I got 3g to work by disabling wifi and leaving 4G on. I got by that way for a couple days and then odined steadys kernel today. Everything is working very well now...

Man we were in the exact same spot! I feel for you bud

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    E4gt wasn't really brickable either until:

People saw ics test releases coming out for the intl gs2 and started flashing them getting the intl bootloader which rendered their usb port inoperable even though they could get intk odin dl mode.

Ics test releases started coming out for e4gt which ended up using a linux 3.0 kernel which has slightly changed how partitions are accesed. This coupled with a suggestion that people combine cwm touch with the new kernel caused the 2nd set of bricks.

Both these conditions didn't exist during tge og epic days you remember. There was far less confusion about the intl galaxy s and there was no 3.0 linux kernel with ics.
    Well since I just bricked my phone I decided to start this tread. I figured it would be helpful for people to read to keep them from bricking their phone by not following the same process of the unlucky few who have hard bricked their device.

I flashed the Rogue CM9 kernel through Mobile Odin Pro and while on the FB17 leak from Calk which is where I think I made my mistake. when I went to flash CM9 alpha 3.1 it got stuck at install for about 15 minutes before i decided to the battery which I knew was a HORRIBLE idea. When I tried to boot back up all I got was a blue light. My guess is that the phone didn't like that I had a AOSP Kernel while on a TW rom and got confused and froze because it didn't know what to do next. The good news it that sprint is ever so gracious to provide me with a new phone coming in the mail on Thursday since they don't have any in stock. I just told them I got a update and when it installed it wouldn't boot back up and I should hopefully be back in business with some CM9 yumminess later this week :D thank the cellular gods for insurance!

Some users are reporting that mobiletechvideos.com is somewhere you can send your phone too have it brought back from the dead.
    Oh I bricked my ET4G by........by.........No wait, Ive never bricked my sh** before. Lol.

4257422d-04c5-2caa.jpg

^^^What he said :rolleyes:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
    After I got the blue led of death, I took it into sprint and played dumb. (The guy from mobiletechvideos emailed me and said that he probably couldnt fix my phone) I told sprint that it dropped it the middle of an update, and wouldnt boot. Came back two hours later, and they said they tried to swap the screen. (Idiots) Left 5 minutes later with a brand new one. Social Engineering at its finest.
    Imo it is more productive to concentrate on providing solutions rather than ripping on each other.

It is hard to get down to the bottom of the issue with cwm touch fake flashed onto an ics linux 3.0 kernel when previously it had only been paired with a gb linux 2.6 kernel, especially when one is working blind and doesn't have the source for either.

I did notice the major/minor dev numbers changed for the /data partition between the ics 3.0 kernel and the gb 2.6 kernel while most of the other partitions stayed the same. That might explain why all the other partitions are fine and it is /data that is hosed. I would start there and see if there is any hard-coded partition info that wouldn't adjust.