[Q] Broken power button: any way to boot up?

Search This thread

freshprints

Feb 19, 2011
Backstory: My phone was water-damaged despite all flaps being closed. This resulted in power + volume up both not working. However I had a recovery installed and was able to use DOWN volume to boot into system, remapping the volume down to equal a power button (only while the phone was turned on). Next... I STUPIDLY thought that I would be able to update my firmware and boot into the system. However I wiped the recovery when doing so and there is no way to get into the system now. Any thoughts hugely appreciated.

Oh and as for warranty, I lost the usb port whilst trying to dry the bloody thing out so they haven't been very forthcoming with actually fixing my problem under warranty.

So basically, any way to either

A) Boot into system (it currently only boots into charge mode, or fastboot/flash mode)

B) Install a recovery without usb debugging (as I freshly updated the firmware and haven't been in since I'm pretty sure that option is now disabled)

C) Anything?

Would seriously appreciate any advice. And yes, I know I'm a moron.

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
Reboot device from fastboot to system
Code:
fastboot.exe reboot
Root and install recovery without usb debugging
Use @munjeni's tool http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783876 since my tool requires USB debugging
Download with browser, then use root explorer or something to move the file to /data/local/tmp and apply permission 777. Open terminal emulator and write
Code:
/data/local/tmp/newroot doit

Then you should have root & recovery :good:

By the way don't forgot, if you have locked bootloader the recovery resides in /system which is wiped during update.

Last edited:

freshprints

Feb 19, 2011
Code:
fastboot.exe reboot

By the way don't forgot, if you have locked bootloader the recovery resides in /system which is wiped during update.

Ah, thank you good sir! Yeah bizarrely my phone powered itself on through the power of prayer.. ha. So I was able to do it the traditional way in the end. But this is vital to know for next mishap. Cheers

mimo119

Aug 17, 2014
Backstory: My phone was water-damaged despite all flaps being closed. This resulted in power + volume up both not working. However I had a recovery installed and was able to use DOWN volume to boot into system, remapping the volume down to equal a power button (only while the phone was turned on). Next... I STUPIDLY thought that I would be able to update my firmware and boot into the system. However I wiped the recovery when doing so and there is no way to get into the system now. Any thoughts hugely appreciated.

Oh and as for warranty, I lost the usb port whilst trying to dry the bloody thing out so they haven't been very forthcoming with actually fixing my problem under warranty.

So basically, any way to either

A) Boot into system (it currently only boots into charge mode, or fastboot/flash mode)

B) Install a recovery without usb debugging (as I freshly updated the firmware and haven't been in since I'm pretty sure that option is now disabled)

C) Anything?

Would seriously appreciate any advice. And yes, I know I'm a moron.

Hi freshprints,
i have the same problem as yours, can you tell me in details what you did to solve your problem?
thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    fastboot.exe reboot
    Use @munjeni's tool http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783876 since my tool requires USB debugging
    Download with browser, then use root explorer or something to move the file to /data/local/tmp and apply permission 777. Open terminal emulator and write
    Code:
    /data/local/tmp/newroot doit