Bluetooth Remote Control for Android Media Player, etc

Search This thread

voxluna

Jan 3, 2009
SE Michigan
en.wikipedia.org
I'm looking for a Bluetooth remote to use in my car, to control my G1 when it's hooked up as a music player. This is both a safety and convenience concern.

The starting point is finding a remote control that transmits Bluetooth directly to the G1 (i.e., not infrared or wired). It needs, at a minimum, a forward and a stop button. Reverse, pause, and other functions are nice, but not mandatory.

The other half of the solution is software to control the media program in Android, which may or may not already exist; if not, I'll commission someone to write it. Maybe I can even offer a turnkey system for sale if there's enough interest.

I know someone's will say "search the forums", and I did. What I found seemed to be focus on wired remotes for another HTC phone, or remote controlling your PC with your phone. But if I missed a relevant post, please do correct me.

Ideas are greatly appreciated. :)

pistol4413

May 28, 2009
Philadelphia
remote

there is a remote for gaming used for the n95 i saw on a website it worked for android on a basic level. maybe that might help. in the development of this

voxluna

Jan 3, 2009
SE Michigan
en.wikipedia.org
Found this on another thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Wc0KqnW2M that some people are using. Jabra BT3030

Hmm, I posted a reply to this, but it isn't showing up. Maybe forgot to submit.

Anyway, thanks for pointing this out. I had seen this a long time ago and forgot all about it. That's exactly the kind of thing I want. Here's the instruction manual, for anyone else who might be interested. It's about US$55.

The only problem I see here is that it'll register as a headset and thereby disable the sound coming out of the extUSB connector in the car.

there is a remote for gaming used for the n95 i saw on a website it worked for android on a basic level. maybe that might help. in the development of this

It's the Zeemote JS1, and this blog has a video showing it interacting with a G1. This may ultimately be what I'd have to go with... it seems to be designed solely as a controller, without A2DP getting in the way. But looks like it needs some kind of interfacing software, at least on the Nokia. At US$20, I should just get one and play around with it. Cheaper than buying another car stereo with BT built in.

voxluna

Jan 3, 2009
SE Michigan
en.wikipedia.org
Dual Infrared + Bluetooth Remotes

FWIW, I ran across two rare, interesting items.

One is the RicaVision Vave 100 Universal Remote. Unfortunately, it's $349... but in theory, it would control both your car stereo (via infrared, which the majority of remotes use) and the G1 (via Bluetooth). It's able to "learn" commands from 24 infrared devices, and has a 2.4" 240x320 color LCD screen. No PC or internet connection is needed for configuration.

The screenshots show artist/track info being received from Windows, so it's Media PC-oriented, but still a possibility -- assuming you could program it accordingly. If so, just carry it back and forth between home and car: use it inside for your TV and PC, outside for the car stereo and G1.

The other device is the Ricavision SideShow Remote for the same price, also having IR + BT transmitters. This is purpose-built for Windows SideShow, and has fewer buttons -- volume, play/pause, prev/next, etc. It's smaller than the Vave, but still has a 2.5" QVGA screen. This is perfect for my car setup, but there doesn't seem to be a learning mode or any way to program, so the chances of it working are about zero. Boo!

Attachments

• view1.jpg
    view1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 386
  • view3.jpg
    view3.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 272
  • view7.jpg
    view7.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 331
  • ssremote1.jpg
    ssremote1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 295
R

random_username_

try the jabra 3030 (dogtag) theyre about $15 on ebay

voxluna

Jan 3, 2009
SE Michigan
en.wikipedia.org
Apparently some people have had luck with this one:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8422

If that worked in my case it'd be perfect, and it's the smallest form factor yet. The only problem I foresee with this and the Jabra is that they'll want to subvert my wired headphone output over to A2DP. But for $13 I'll probably take a chance.

yep they're pretty good once you get a working one

Yeah, buying directly from mainland China, you never know what you'll get -- and if it doesn't work, it's usually pointless return it. But I've bought stuff from DealExtreme before, and dirt cheap, too. Back when I had this flashlight habit....

voxluna

Jan 3, 2009
SE Michigan
en.wikipedia.org
[OT] Counterfeits

try the jabra 3030 (dogtag) theyre about $15 on ebay
Well, I finally bought a Jabra from there. I'll play with it and report back on whether it'll work like I wanted above.

Meanwhile, I didn't realize until looking more closely that most of them were fake. I've been burned by counterfeits before, and sure enough, there are a ton of them on fleaBay. I made this graphic to demonstrate:

BT3030s.jpg
BT3030s.jpg

Aside from the logos, they look identical. Price is an obvious warning, but not always. Location is another: I'm wary of shipping from Hong Kong. OTOH, just because it says Jabra doesn't mean it's real... the Motorola H700 is another example where it's nearly impossible to tell them apart online.

Unfortunately, even with VeRO and the rules against keyword spamming, this junk can be found all over eBay.

Last edited:

dixon_coxon

Jun 10, 2007
New Jerusalem
Well, I finally bought a Jabra from there. I'll play with it and report back on whether it'll work like I wanted above.

Meanwhile, I didn't realize until looking more closely that most of them were fake. I've been burned by counterfeits before, and sure enough, there are a ton of them on fleaBay. I made this graphic to demonstrate:

BT3030s.jpg

Aside from the logos, they look identical. Price is an obvious warning, but not always. Location is another: I'm wary of shipping from Hong Kong. OTOH, just because it says Jabra doesn't mean it's real... the Motorola H700 is another example where it's nearly impossible to tell them apart online.

Unfortunately, even with VeRO and the rules against keyword spamming, this junk can be found all over eBay.

I just got a pair of these and thanks to your illustration, I'm convinced mine are counterfeit works well with all my other phones but the G1.

voxluna

Jan 3, 2009
SE Michigan
en.wikipedia.org
I just got a pair of these and thanks to your illustration, I'm convinced mine are counterfeit works well with all my other phones but the G1.

In theory, if it's able to connect to one phone's A2DP, it should connect to any. But I wonder if it has something to do with the ROM you're running?

I've noticed the G1 needs some finesse when connecting and pairing BT. Also, there are different steps you can take that all arrive at the same result (ergo, lots of trial and error).

Anyway. Now that I have the Jabra, my next problem is keeping A2DP, HSP and AVRCP separate... more on that soon.

dixon_coxon

Jun 10, 2007
New Jerusalem
In theory, if it's able to connect to one phone's A2DP, it should connect to any. But I wonder if it has something to do with the ROM you're running?

I've noticed the G1 needs some finesse when connecting and pairing BT. Also, there are different steps you can take that all arrive at the same result (ergo, lots of trial and error).

Anyway. Now that I have the Jabra, my next problem is keeping A2DP, HSP and AVRCP separate... more on that soon.

Here is whats interesting; I have tried the BT3030 with several ROMS and I get the same results (I even tried it on stock and then rooted). When paired placing and receiving calls work fine. The problem arises when you try to listen to music, the sound skips constantly and I haven't figured a way to fix this permanently. Do you experience this problem (skipping sound)?

skesseks

Feb 4, 2009
Here is whats interesting; I have tried the BT3030 with several ROMS and I get the same results (I even tried it on stock and then rooted). When paired placing and receiving calls work fine. The problem arises when you try to listen to music, the sound skips constantly and I haven't figured a way to fix this permanently. Do you experience this problem (skipping sound)?

no skips from BT. see my configuration in my sig.

pfn

Jan 5, 2010

I got 3 knockoff bt3030s back in october (from dinodirect... shady) at $15/ea it was an ok price...

I too have the skipping problems on my Droid, but I just discovered how to fix them. Go into bluetooth settings, long-press the jabra bt3030 device, select options, and deselect phone audio and reconnect the device. Now, no more skips.

I don't know if it's the bt3030's fault, I think it might be an android bug where audio gets routed over phone audio instead of a2dp. This is evidenced by the skipping audio--headset audio only has something like 8khz of bandwidth.

It kind of sucks that phone audio has to be disabled, but in all seriousness, I use the bt3030 for a2dp far more than phone calls, if I need to make a phone call over the bt3030, I'll reconnect the phone audio and disconnect it when I'm done.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just to close the loop....

I was reading this thread from Google and I wanted to add something awesome I found from searching a little differently. I searched for AVRCP only remote or something like that and came up with the following: Sony Ericsson Live View

This thing looks like it does everything you're asking plus more because it'll display facebook, etc and it looks like it has the bonus of being easily tethered to your steering wheel.

The only downside appears to be that fulfillment for this appears to only roll through the UK.

PS: the captcha system for this forum is bad, I wish they would let you anonymously post a comment.