[KERNEL] SetiroN i9000 SuperOptimized v1.5.6: JPX, 345MB RAM, UV/OC upto 1.6GHz

Search This thread

slider2828

Jul 19, 2010
Just saying you do not need to undo voodoo, that is the point of the universal lagfix.

Yes you can flash over tatuyama's ROM...

I haven't per se tried this rom, but I am using the UV/OC rom / Lagfix ext2/4/bind over tatuyama....

Also for people who want BLN support, just use a program from the market called NoLED, I think its a LOT better than BLN support....

crazililazn

Nov 27, 2008
man, honestly i want to flash this kernel, but im afraid the OC/UV will screw up my phone. Personally, im an overclocker, but this isnt exactly a computer with a heatsink ><

Anybody thats running this kernel with the overclock having any problems? or is it smooth sailing?

slider2828

Jul 19, 2010
man, honestly i want to flash this kernel, but im afraid the OC/UV will screw up my phone. Personally, im an overclocker, but this isnt exactly a computer with a heatsink ><

Anybody thats running this kernel with the overclock having any problems? or is it smooth sailing?

Been running this for over... ergh 3 days now, no problems....

By default underclock is not enabled you have to use some other program for that. No need for SetCPU either because its already governed at 'Conservative'..... Just if you want to underclock.... but no need as the battery life is still good.....

glitterballs

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 11, 2010
Bed-Stuy

I've been running raspdeep's OC/UV since Monday. Read the thread, I've talked about it. Also, you can set temperature warning with setCPU.

Last edited:

TheTodFather

Aug 9, 2010
Huntsville
the reorient kernel is for any rom that is i9000 some of older cog roms used it but it was dropped by dg because he wasnt a fan of xcaliburs kernel, caused to many problems. I like the i9000 kernels a lot. I was a little frustrated with the modem.bin issues. I never use COG so im kinda out of the loop to much help but like i said some cogs will play with it. I rather just flash darkkys raw steel rom... or even sheps there a few ones you can choose from.

Last edited:

arffer

Aug 27, 2010
Tweaking Options

I've compiled a Kernel based on Sztupy's ULF and xcaliburinhand's re-oriented kernels, including OC/UV support, 340Mb RAM and compiling optimizations.
Features:

- Modded CWM integrated
- CWM pre-installed (no more install from update.zip)
- reboot to 2e
- reboot to download mode
- tweaking options
- root from recovery

I was looking at these 'tweaking options', found the following:
  • IOSCHED
  • KERNELVM
  • KERNELSCHED
  • MISC

But I have no idea what these do, which are recommended, what the pros and cons are. I searched this forum, but found no references to them.

Can someone either point me to any docs/discussions or other reading material, or perhaps a short discourse with warnings and recommendations?

Thanks!

Guess I need to spend more time over on the I9000 forums. That's where my answer was at:
EDIT: Explanations:

# Remount all partitions with noatime
atime is a setting where the filesystem updates the access time of a file. This creates a write-after-every-read which slows things down. By default all partitions are mounted with relatime, which is an optimized version of atime. noatime is the fastest, and afaik we don't need atime.

# Tweak cfq io scheduler
Tweaked settings of the disk io scheduler more for flash memory. Defaults are optimized for spinning harddisks. Lowered the idle wait, re-enable the low latency mode of cfq, removed the penalty for back-seeks and explicitly tell the kernel the storage is not a spinning disk.

# Tweak kernel VM management
Set tendency of kernel to swap to minimum, since we don't use swap anyway.
Lower the amount of unwritten write cache to reduce lags when a huge write is required.
Increase tendency of kernel to keep block-cache to help with slower RFS filesystem.
Increase minimum free memory, in theory this should make the kernel less likely to suddenly run out of memory.

# Tweak kernel scheduler
Make the task scheduler more 'fair' when multiple tasks are running. This has a huge effect on UI and App responsiveness. These values (less aggressive settings) are 20% of the Linux defaults, and about half of the Android defaults.

# Miscellaneous tweaks
Manually set the starting dalvik heap size.
Increase wifi scanning gap to reduce battery usage.

Last edited:

TheTodFather

Aug 9, 2010
Huntsville
i am most stoked by the ram optimization the most. I like ext 4 ooh jfs (battery sipper) I am really excited to see the free ram, i think that makes a nice performance boost.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry for disappearing guys, I wasn't in the mood for posting or working on the kernel: unfortunately it looks like I bricked my phone.
    I couldn't believe it myself but as soon as I restarted it phone after CWM-flashing my usual JPO rom, going back from official JPU+803.pit, the screen went black and never came up again, no matter the key combination. No signs of life besides warming up slightly after pressing power or connecting the USB cable. No luck with a JIG cable aswell, tried all the way from 290K to 315K Ohm and nothing happens... I guess there's nothing I can do.
    The problem is, I came back to Europe last month and official Samsung centers around here are refusing to offer repair services on US phones because of some kind of freak policy they have, even if I pay myself.

Update Dec 13:
    I have no words to explain how thankful I am: PAulyhoffman offered to donate a spare phone he had, and promptly shipped it on the same day.

A special mention goes to Patrick Richter, Pauly's father in law, who just passed away on Saturday: a most generous man in honor of whom he would like to dedicate the donation.

I've already covered the shipping fee myself but customs will add a variable amount in taxes (most definitely 20% of original value as they usually do, although the specified value is just $100).

Hoping customs won't hold the package over the holidays, untested version versions will have to do for now.

HUGE thanks go to every single one who offered help, I really am moved by the affection demonstrated by this wonderful community.

I've compiled a Kernel based on Sztupy's ULF and xcaliburinhand's re-oriented kernels, including OC/UV support, 340Mb RAM and compiling optimizations.
    Being based on the i9000 JPM source, it comes with every issue xcaliburinhand's kernel might have.

As I have absolutely no kernel programming knowledge, all credit goes to the respective coders: I've merely copied, pasted and compiled things, so I won't be able to offer much additional support or modify any of the function unless they provide source.

THIS IS A FROYO KERNEL, USE ONLY WITH A 2.2 ROM, PREFERABLY AN I9000 ONE

DO NOT USE SETCPU

Features:

- Sztupy's Ultimate Lag Fix V. pre-0.4https://github.com/sztupy
    Multiple configurable Lagfix options:
    Ext4 No-Journal DATA: /data converted to Ext4 with no journaling, everything else stays RFS
    Ext4 No-Journal ALL: /data, /cache and /dbdata converted to Ext4 with no journaling
    Ext4 DATA: /data converted to Ext4, everything else stays RFS
    Ext4 ALL: /data, /cache and /dbdata converted to Ext4
    Ext2 DATA: /data converted to Ext2, everything else stays RFS
    Ext2 ALL: /data, /cache and /dbdata converted to Ext2
    Advanced options: lets you specifically configure each partition and eventually add an Ext2 loop on top of them
    Ext3/4 mount options: enables writeback journaling mode

(Using BIND_DATA_TO_DBDATA you might run out of space with many apps installed)

Suggested configuration (Ext4 ALL):
    DATA_FS=ext4
    CACHE_FS=ext4
    DBDATA_FS=ext4
    DATA_LOOP=false
    CACHE_LOOP=false
    DBDATA_LOOP=false
    BIND_DATA_TO_DBDATA=false
    Use FAST mount opts

You will get a "Configuration has changed" recovery screen at the first reboot after setting lagfix options, it's perfectly normal. If you wish to keep your current data, select the first option and wait (a separate backup is recommended).

- Modded CWM integrated
    - CWM pre-installed (no more install from update.zip)
    - reboot to 2e recovery
    - reboot to download mode
    - tweaking options
    - root from recovery
    - configure lagfix

- raspdeep's OC/UVhttp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=822027
    If you do not want to mess with commands, use Xan's Voltage Settings app
    - do note that you're subtracting voltage from the default setting, which varies with frequency:
    Code:
    1600MHz CPU		200MHz GPU		1400mV
    1552MHz CPU		194MHz GPU		1375mV
    1488MHz CPU		186MHz GPU		1350mV
    1440MHz CPU		205MHz GPU		1325mV
    1400MHz CPU		200MHz GPU		1300mV
    1344MHz CPU		192MHz GPU		1300mV
    1288MHz CPU		184MHz GPU		1300mV
    1200MHz CPU		200MHz GPU		1300mV
    1000MHz CPU		200MHz GPU		1275mV
    800MHz CPU		200MHz GPU		1200mV
    400MHz CPU		200MHz GPU		1050mV
    200MHz CPU		200MHz GPU		950mV
    100MHz CPU		100MHz GPU		950mV
    the lastest Voltage Settings version includes voltage calculation

- 345Mb available RAM with 720p and JPU support
    And improved minfree memory management

- Hardcore's SpeedModhttp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=822756
    - jhash3
    - Kernel HZ
    - startup tweak scripts (available from cwm)
    - ext4 kernel patches from http://www2.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/ext4-patches/

- compiling optimizations:
    (thanks to laststufo)
    -O3 -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mthumb -fno-gcse -fprefetch-loop-arrays --param l2-cache-size=512 --param l1-cache-size=64 --param simultaneous-prefetches=6 --param prefetch-latency=400 --param l1-cache-line-size=64

- config optimizations: (XT variant only)
    CONFIG_UACCESS_WITH_MEMCPY=y
    CONFIG_KSM=y
    # CONFIG_CGROUP_DEBUG is not set
    # CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE is not set
    CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY=y
    additional config settings found in other kernels are pointless or even counterproductive for performance/stability

- BFQ I/O schedulerhttp://lwn.net/Articles/306641/
    Set as default, you may change it using Xan's Voltage Settings app

- supercurio's Voodoo Color&Sharpnesshttps://github.com/project-voodoo

- HSUPA support (with i9000 modems)
    Enable WCDMA 850Mhz by dialing *#2263# (COMBI BANDS -> choose WCDMA 850)

- neldar's v2.2 BackLight Notifications supporthttps://github.com/neldar/backlightnotification
    Configure with BacklightNotification settings app
    To enable BLN it is necessary to flash a CWM zip or enable BLN in CWM from ULK advanced options

- Boot animations support
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=819686
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=822955
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=623960

Once again, none of it comes from me and all credit goes to the original developers, especially xcaliburinhand, raspdeep and hardcore
    Nevertheless, if you're feeling particularly generous and have already provided for the developers, I'll gladly accept a token of gratitude (after all, being so ignorant I did have to invest quite a bit of time into it).

Everything comes at your own risk, I offer no support at all.

Thank you aleadam, ReedX50v, junktzu, shaolin95, Shane, krl66, Smokestack76, Henry, Xstop, lpsi200, Arffer, newter55, Lertets, txRangerXDA, id10terrordfw and Bedwa for your donations. :)

Code:
    - v1.5.6
    fixed boot-up and CWM instability
    updated modules from JPX kernel
    new frequency table
    full compatibility with Voltage Control 3 (lowering frequency with it seems to cause freezes)
    removed update_frequency, making changes to the freq table immediately applies them
    - v1.4.7
    fixed boot animation issues
    fixed init.d script execution
    fixed CIFS support
    - v1.5.5
    lowered default freq to 1000MHz
    updated ram disk to late 1.4.x versions
    improved wi-fi performance
    fixed internal SD mount as CD-ROM on JPU
    - v1.4.6
    improved wi-fi performance
    fixed internal SD mount as CD-ROM on JPU
    Changelog:
    - v1.4.5
    Frequencies/battery fix
    - v1.4.4
    added workaround script inside the update.zip to execute voltage control boot settings directly from the program's data dir, eliminating the necessity to remount /system 
    gained an additional MB of RAM thanks to kernel size optimization
    implemented Xcaliburinhand's wired headset fix
    optimized RAM utilization (minfree tweaks)
    updated CWM to include Hardcore's latest additions
    slight menus reorganization
    updated optimization scripts (now including battery optimizations, GPS tweaks, CIFS support)
    built-in support for ext2, ext3 and ext4 no-journaling (you will see a "configuration changed" screen if you manually disabled journaling - select "No, enter recovery mode" and switch ext4 to ext4nj)
    built-in support for ext4 mount optimizations (writeback mode)
    HZ=500, PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY
    JPU variant with modules and mem config extracted from samsung's JPU kernel: DO NOT USE IT ON FIRST BOOT OR YOU'LL GET AN ENDLESS VIBRATING BLACK SCREEN, BOOT ON SAMSUNG JPU AND ONLY THEN FLASH THIS KERNEL
    v1.5.4
    initial boot and recovery frequency lowered from 1200MHz to 800MHz
    reduced voltage change delay
    frequency jumps set up more like 1.4 in order to improve performance
    v1.5.3
    /system mounts as RO
    added workaround script inside the update.zip to execute voltage control boot settings directly from the program's data dir, eliminating the necessity to remount /system 
    corrected frequencies script, should now work on every ROM
    only available as a CWM update.zip to make sure everyone has working init scripts
    increased default voltages for 1456-1464MHz to 1325mV, 1504-1544MHz to 1375mV and 1600MHz to 1400mV, regulate your UV settings BEFORE upgrading
    gained an additional MB of RAM thanks to kernel size optimization
    v1.5.2
    DELETE USER GENERATED SCRIPTS IN /system/etc/init.d/ BEFORE UPGRADING
    (remember it's necessary to unlock higher frequencies from both freq_table and Xan's app)
    implemented Xcaliburinhand's wired headset fix
    mount /system R/W - could be dangerous, but solves script creation issues
    optimized frequency jumps for better battery life
    optimized RAM utilization (minfree tweaks)
    workaround for the highest frequency step being sometimes briefly used during bootup and recovery operation
    effectively set 1200MHz as the default frequency
    corrected wrong display of highest frequency in Quadrant
    added frequencies scheduler script in the CWM zip package with a visual aid
    reorganized performance levels with a few additions
    - v1.5.1
    skipped, integrated in 1.5.2
    - v1.5
    updated raspdeep's OC/UV to v300
    multiple performance levels:
    1360 (GPU downclocked, don't worry performance improves anyway)
    1440 (GPU slightly overclocked)
    1460 (GPU downclocked)
    Default clock at 1200MHz, additional frequencies can be enabled by editing /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/states_enabled_table
    in order to update the states table it's necessary to edit to 1 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/update_states (echo from terminal or by manually editing the file, just like the states table)
    added compatibility with Xan's voltage app v2.0 (please update, v1.9x wouldn't work correctly)
    reduced 14xxMHz default voltage to 1.3v
    updated CWM to include Hardcore's latest additions
    slight menus reorganization
    updated optimization scripts (now including battery optimizations and CIFS support)
    built-in support for ext2, ext3 and ext4 no-journaling (you will see a "configuration changed" screen if you manually disabled journaling - select "No, enter recovery mode" and switch ext4 to ext4nj)
    built-in support for ext4 mount optimizations (writeback mode)
    - v1.4.3
    fixed 2e recovery, now completely functional
    added 1350Mhz, 1400MHz and 1450MHz variants, only available as ODIN packages. The latter two have a default voltage of 1350mV. Keep using Xan's Voltage App v1.98b's 1200MHz setting to undervolt, higher frequencies replace the 1200MHz step, bear in mind the app doesn't show the updated frequency/voltage. Remember to reset said setting before upgrading and please realize how 14xxMHz will only run on few lucky devices
    from now on there won't be a CWM version for 1350MHz+ and XT variants as well as a release integrating the modem, just install it on its own if necessary
    - v1.4.2
    implemented Tiny RCU
    re-enabled Samsung's bootanimation when there's no bootanimation.zip
    re-added -noatime optimization script
    XT variant: 1280MHz, config optimizations: HZ=500, PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY,  UACCESS_WITH_MEMCPY, KSM (possibly unstable, slightly higher performance and battery drain, might be necessary to lower UV)
    - v1.4.1
    fixed BLN (flashing as update.zip or re-enabling it from CWM might be necessary)
    - v1.4
    raspdeep's OCUV updated to v217
    implemented fastscaling for 100-400MHz frequencies
    added 1280MHz variant (UV setting for 1200MHz applies to 1280MHz, so reset it)
    ULF updated to pre-0.4, modified to support bootanimations
    fixed potential /system corruption
    integrated JK3 modem in CWM flash package
    kernel version updated to reflect frequency variant (#140-1280 / #140-1200)
    BLN has issues
    - v1.3.5
    removed config optimizations 
    removed -noatime remount script
    (should provide stability for those experiencing hangups/reboots/charging issues)
    - v1.2.6
    removed config optimizations (should provide stability for those experiencing hangups/reboots/charging issues)
    HZ=300
    - v1.3.4
    rebuilt from scratch
    even more stability fixes
    build # updated according to version (#134->v1.3.4)
    - v1.2.5
    rebuilt from scratch
    additional FS optimization script to remount partitions with -noatime included in the I/O Scheduler script
    fixed script execution
    kernel HZ back to default
    build # updated according to version (#125->v1.2.5)
    - v1.3.3
    fixed screen lock issue
    kernel HZ lowered to 300
    more stability fixes
    supposedly fixed charging issues (oneclick to JF6, reset battery stats and masterclear)
    - v1.3.2
    stability fixes
    - v1.3.1
    included ext4 patches from [url]http://www2.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/ext4-patches/[/url]
    additional FS optimization script to remount partitions with -noatime included in the I/O Scheduler script
    - v1.3
    Corrected a small bug that was preventing scripts from running
    updated raspdeep's OC/UV to v2.1
    update [url=http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=829731]Xan's app[/url] to undervolt
    - v1.2.1
    hopefully fixed script execution on Captivate ROMs aswell
    fixed CWM option for enabling BLN
    fixed 500hz setting
    enabled CONFIG_UACCESS_WITH_MEMCPY and CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY as they apparently make no difference in battery use
    - v1.2
    increased available RAM to 343Mb
    updated BLN to v2.2
    - v1.1.1
    enabled init.d script execution on boot (Xan's app voltage settings are now being kept)
    - v1.1
    added BFQ I/O scheduler
    updated Voodoo color&sharpness
    BLN reverted to v2.0, now working (flashing from an update.zip is required to install the Library)
    - v1.0.1
    fixed JFS filesystem support, added bootanimations, BLN still not working (no clue why not, waiting for xcaliburinhand's upcoming update)
    - v1.0
    initial release

RESET ALL UV SETTINGS (DELETE INIT.D SCRIPTS) BEFORE UPGRADING TO HIGHER VERSIONS
    IF YOU'RE HAVING SLEEP DEATH ISSUES, REVISE UV SETTINGS
    Modules and mem config extracted from samsung's JPU kernel: DO NOT USE THIS KERNEL ON JPU FIRST BOOT OR YOU'LL GET AN ENDLESS VIBRATING BLACK SCREEN, BOOT ON SAMSUNG STOCK AND ONLY THEN FLASH THIS KERNEL

The XT variant is slightly faster but can cause instability (which might require higher voltage) and charging death.

Voltage Control 3 supports enabling higher frequencies from the freq table, but doesn't yet let you disable selective ones.
    To disable a certain frequency its corresponding value in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/states_enabled_table has to be set to '0'.
    Changing update_states is no longer necessary. That file can either be manually edited or modified through an 'echo' command, which is much more convenient if you're in front of a PC and able to use ADB.
    It's a volatile RAM file, which means changes made to it won't stick through reboots; I've included a script that reapplyies settings on boot in the CWM package (also attached to this post).
    Let's say you wish to overclock to 1400MHz and disable 1288-1344:
    1344MHz corresponds to the 6th value, 1288 to the 7th:

Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh
    #SET OC - below are GHz decimals (i.e. 1.60GHz, 1.55GHz, 1.50GHz and so on)
    #60 55 48 44 40 34 28 20 00 .8 .4 .2 .1
    [color=red]#[/color]echo 0 0 0 0 1 [color=blue]0[/color] [color=blue]0[/color] 1 1 1 1 1 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/states_enabled_table
    REMEMBER TO REMOVE # FROM THE LAST LINE

jk3_modem_update.zip

SetiroN_v1.4.7xt_1600.tar.7z 1400mV@top frequency - 200MHz GPU
    SetiroN_v1.4.7_1600.tar.7z 1400mV@top frequency - 200MHz GPU
    SetiroN_v1.4.7xt_1552.tar.7z 1375mV@top frequency - 194MHz GPU
    SetiroN_v1.4.7_1552.tar.7z 1375mV@top frequency - 194MHz GPU
    SetiroN_v1.4.7xt_1488.tar.7z 1350mV@top frequency - 186MHz GPU
    SetiroN_v1.4.7_1488.tar.7z 1350mV@top frequency - 186MHz GPU
    SetiroN_v1.4.7xt_1440.tar.7z 1325mV@top frequency - 205MHz GPU
    SetiroN_v1.4.7_1440.tar.7z 1325mV@top frequency - 205MHz GPU
    SetiroN_v1.4.7xt_1400.tar.7z 1300mV@top frequency - 200MHz GPU
    SetiroN_v1.4.7_1400.tar.7z 1300mV@top frequency - 200MHz GPU
    SetiroN_v1.4.7xt_1344.tar.7z 1300mV@top frequency - 192MHz GPU
    SetiroN_v1.4.7_1344.tar.7z 1300mV@top frequency - 192MHz GPU
    SetiroN_v1.4.7xt_1288.tar.7z 1300mV@top frequency - 184MHz GPU
    SetiroN_v1.4.7_1288.tar.7z 1300mV@top frequency - 184MHz GPU
    SetiroN_v1.4.7xt_1200.tar.7z 1300mV@top frequency - 200MHz GPU
    SetiroN_v1.4.7_1200.tar.7z 1300mV@top frequency - 200MHz GPU

setiron_v1.5.6.tar.7z
    setiron_v1.5.6_cwmupdate.zip
    setiron_v1.5.6xt.tar.7z
    setiron_v1.5.6xt_cwmupdate.zip

Voltage Control 3 alpha3
    Do I need to be in download or recovery mode?

DL mode (10 Char)
    1.4.6 is running great.

Thanks for your hard work SetiroN
    I have no words to explain how thankful I am: PAulyhoffman offered to donate a spare phone he had, and promptly shipped it on the same day.

A special mention goes to Patrick Richter, Paul's father in law, who just passed away on Saturday: a most generous man in honor of whom he would like to dedicate the donation.

I've already covered the shipping fee myself but customs will add a variable amount in taxes (most definitely 20% of original value as they usually do, although the specified value is just $100).

Hoping customs won't hold the package over the holidays, untested version versions will have to do for now. :D

HUGE thanks go to every single one who offered help, I really am moved by the affection demonstrated by this wonderful community.

v1.4.6 OUT
    - improved wi-fi performance
    - fixed internal SD mount as CD-ROM on JPU
    Lower quadrant score whine
    Set ext4nj and ext2 loops if you care so much about quadran't pointless I/O score.
    If you wish to cahnge mount options you have to do it with tune2fs in recovery mode, but I'm not gonna guide you through it.

@Setiron

Hey dude, can we get a 1200mhz kernel with all the optimizations as 1.4.4? :D
    Why? I have yet to head of a phone unable to handle 1300MHz...
    I actually edited both the file in the init.d and the the the one in the sys folders. For the init.d you need to mount to rw first then just save your settings to bios from with in the Voltage Controller app.
    I might be able to squeeze 1460 with 1.4.4 and it is a heck easier to get 1400Mhz stable on 1.4.4 than the time it took me to get it stable on 1.5x
    1.4.x only supports a single additional frequency step at 1300/1400MHz, nothing else.

I didn't have any issues with the 1.5.X series the only thing that I think was missing from your volt limitation script was the scaling_max_freq. (Didn't use Xan's app everything manual)
    Test Conditions
    I tested this with 1.5.2 XT when I had set the max freq scale to 1.6 ghz but did not enable the frequency (0 function) it would higher chance of locking up. (Unless I placed it in the refrigerator ha!) Placing the 1.4 ghz limitation it would work the same as 1.4.X. I think this is what was causing most issues. But I do understand you need to dumb it down for most people.
    the scaling_max_freq is built in at 1200MHz in 1.5.x unless specified differently. As I mentioned earlier, setting it higher than enabled frequencies at boot is dangerous because that frequency gets applied for a fraction of a second on boot.

Running 1.4.5-JPU on XXJPU, video is now working great but unfortunately WiFi is still not working.
    Wi-Fi is working perfectly here. I'll make a small change to eventually circumvent issues you may be having.

I love this kernel! I've tried all most every version since 1.2.6fixed.
    I know nothing about kernel, I just install it.

When I went to i9000 forum, I saw this thread
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=8890266
    It is about the kernel "SpeedMod". they said:"Kernel HZ value: HZ=500 is smoother, HZ=256 is Samsung default."

Here, I have a question.
    What is the default kernel HZ do you use in Setiron. Is it the same with Samsung default one?

I know you rise the maximum clock, take SetiroN_v1.4.5_1300 for example, the maximum clock is set to be 1300MHz. What about the default value of Samsung for this parameter.

Will battery life improved, if I change this "maximum clock"? Or is it the best balance between battery life and performance?

Thank you
    Read the OP. HZ=500. Kernel HZ has nothing to do with clock frequency, it's another matter entirely.

Hey guys I am using kernel 1.4.5 1300 and it doesn't seem to be reaching 1300 on tests.... It just seems to be 1288 is or so.... Can anyone confirm this?

I am using stability test to look at the speeds when its running its passes...
    I noticed this too. In Setcpu, it was showing the max frequency as 1200. So i went to sys/devices/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq and it said 1200000. So i edited it to 1300000 and now it works.
    It's not my fault if you guys don't delete init scripts before downgrading.

SetiroN,

Have you tried looking at hardcore's recent kernel scheduler tweaks? There have been a lot of chatter on the i9000 forums that it helps GPS:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=9587212&postcount=4326
    since you have kernel scheduler tweaks already baked in thought i'd let you know about the update. also you do a great job of incorporating updates. thanks.

edit: not making any claims about gps its just something that a lot of other folks are talking about and I thought i'd link it in here since it comes from a major developer
    Read the OP, it's already implemented.

With JPU kernel, the internal SD mounts as a cd drive on my computer and it says its write protected when I try to copy stuff to it.
    External SD mounts normally.
    Known issue caused by using JPM based kernels on JPU. Nothing can be done until samsung releases updated sources.