CUBE U9GT2 Android 4.0.3 Mods

Search This thread

wackym

Dec 1, 2010
Hi everyone!

Since most of us are not satisfied with recent CUBE's U9GT2 Android 4.0 build,(s) I/we created mods based on U9GT2 official builds and in the process also fixed some faults :cool:

Mods by wackym:

[U9GT2 v1.08 2012-02-29] Mod V1 by wackym [creation date: 2012-03-10]
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?aphsztmezdeo7w8

U9GT2_V1.08_20120229_mod_v1_by_wackym.7z:
SHA1: 814068758e210204a58d984897c4ee9b7fe30b5a
MD5: b24c3eb85d0ae0f65653f658941937b1

Changelog:
- added latest Superuser (ROOT)
- increased application flash memory to 2GB
- fixed Calendar sync
- updated ICS apps
- added videochat libraries (might fix videochat issues)
- fixed RW permissions for external SD, usb flash
- added permissions to enable more market apps (thanks Reichi!)
- decreased size of system.img
- changed WI-FI scan interval (from 15) to 120 seconds - should save some battery
- added ADB drivers
- added and updated Google Apps (currently) not available from Market
- added Setup Wizzard (for easy language, timezone and google sync account selection on first start)
- added ES Task Manager (easy and free) and File Explorer (because of cifs support without cifs modules)
- removed Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, GP Moto, UCBrowser, ApkInstaller, Provision... + libs from those apks
- removed trash left by CUBE developers

Difference from V2 released on 2012-02-20:
- USB Mass Storage is working!
- you can now move apps to internal flash space (internal "SD")
- updated ICS apps
- newer base files from CUBE

Notes, bugs:
If you're still running Android 2.3 and thinking about switching to latest (ICS) version then you should be aware of these (major) changes/bugs cube introduced in ICS:
- application screen size is reduced - bottom status bar is visible most of the time (but also hides in ICS aware apps)
- you need to disable USB debug mode to be able to access filesystem on U9GT2
-MTP/PTP is slow and unstable -> but now mass storage is back!
- Bluetooth still doesn't work (unchecked for 1.08)
- Video chat doesn't work (unchecked for 1.08)

Enjoy! :cool:

Previous release(s):
- U9GT2 v1.07 20120215 Mod V2 by wackym [creation date: 2012-02-20]: http://www.mediafire.com/?5hrw6cng4tddbaa
- U9GT2 v1.06 20120214 Mod by wackym: https://rapidshare.com/files/1612319326/U9GT2_v1.06_2012_02_14_Mod_by_wackym.zip

RK29 Modding Tutorial
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?2uxxth4rryad7tw

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mods by bouldou:

U9GT2 v1.06 20120214 Mod by wackym modded by Bouldou:
Download link: https://rapidshare.com/files/2120621074/Cube_1.06_by_Bouldou_V2.rar

Release notes:
- changed all the Google Apps to the LAST release (February 15th)
- added Google Docs (which was missing) last version, optimized for tablets
- added Polaris Office
- changed ES file explorer to File Manager HD (ahah, I like this one ;) )
- removed the ugly 3D Analogic clock
- changed the default background to the nice Galaxy Nexus one

Cube U9GT2 v1.06 by Bouldou:
Download link: https://rapidshare.com/files/1309861655/Cube_1.06_by_Bouldou.rar?bin=1

Release notes:
- Added all the Google Apps : Maps, Docs, Gmail, Calendar, Talk, Navigation, Latitude, Quicksearch Bar, Youtube. All are from the last version, taken here : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1484457 It's already optimized for Android 4.04 ! ;)
- Added File Manager HD, 'cause it's my favourite File Manager app
- Added... Polaris Office ! There is one issue : it cannot edit Word and Powerpoint files, but anyway it's really smooth and cool ! Cool enough to put it on my release
- Changed the ****ty default wallpaper, to the awesome one seen on the Galaxy Nexus
- Change the default language to English and European Time Zone

Notes, bugs:
- Google Voice Search does not work, I did not have time to check that
- On the first start, choose "Setup Wizard" if you wanna configure your tablet

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mods by Troelie:
Visture V2 4.0.3 20120208, pre-rooted by Troelie: (note to everyone: this fw is 100% compatible with U9GT2)
Download link: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-TOY4lzEN3aYTg5NzljMmMtNTUzMC00YWVkLWFlMWEtNTJkYTMxZDYyOWJh

Release notes:
- latest Visture V2 ROM, pre-rooted
- added the latest Google Apps
- deleted the ringtones to create space in the img

Videos by ColonelZap:

Official CUBE U9GT2 Android 4.0.1:

Short demo of CUBE's official 4.0.3 version:

Last edited:

wackym

Dec 1, 2010
You're welcome.

This mod is based on version 1.05 released 2011.12.29. I know there were also two leaked betas before it (12/12 and 12/22) but I do not know if this one is also a beta as download from official 51cube.com site is still unavailable...

Last edited:

ColonelZap

Nov 5, 2009
Thanks for the info :)

but I do not know if this one is also a beta as download from official 51cube.com site is still unavailable...

I believe the official V1.05 was never available, so I am GUESSING this one is also "just" a beta version:confused:

Let's hope Cube will make their download available soon, maybe we'll see some differences in the fw?

Anyway, GREAT JOB, thank you so much for your work :)

G

GuestD0882

Hi,

really great work - many thanks for this! Could you please post a step-by-step guide explaining what you have done to get this image rooted? Linux Tools for doing this are in place. Is it just enough to include the su binary into the image?

Thanks in advance,

wackym

Dec 1, 2010
Hi,

really great work - many thanks for this! Could you please post a step-by-step guide explaining what you have done to get this image rooted? Linux Tools for doing this are in place. Is it just enough to include the su binary into the image?

Thanks in advance,

You're welcome.

I used RK29xxImageTools kindly provided by wendal: www[dot]slatedroid[dot]com/topic/19808-rk29xx-imagetools-v21/ (sorry about the bad url - still few posts short to write proper urls...forum rules)

Steps:
1. Downloaded U9GT2 v4.0.3 20111229.img, gapps-ics-20111125-2 (google apps for ICS from cyanogenmod), Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed, file expert apk
2. Unpacked img with rk image tools
3. Started virtual machine with ubuntu, mounted system.img as EXT3 loop device
4. Removed su from /xbin
5. Removed angry birds etc. from /app, also removed all libs from those apks in /lib folder. I did this to gain necessary space for google apps without resizing the actual img.
6. Added/replaced google apps apks
7. Removed provision.apk which conflicted with SetupWizzard
8. Added Superuser.apk to /app
9. Copied proper su to /bin; added proper file permissions (rws-rx-rx) - this is very important for root to work.
10. Edited /build.prop: added "ro.config.hw_hasbootsound=false" to silence the boot sound (which was terribly annoying me :D) and changed wpa supplicant scan interval from 15 to 180s (this probably saves some battery but annoys people with bad signals...but you can change the scan interval "post mortem" with ROM Toolbox...see "build.prop tweaks").
10. unmounted system.img
11. Used "pack" option in rkimagetools

I think this covers it all...

bouldou

Jan 1, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for this great job, I've updated my U9GT2 with your firmware, it works well ! that's really great from you, thank you for that.

I have two questions thought :

- I tried to install Google Maps and Google Docs with the apk, but I have then some conflicts with my google accounts... I cannot use the apps.

Do you think it will work properly if I create my own system image with Maps and Docs apk included ?

- I found your scripts on your other topics, I will test it : I'm currently installing Ubuntu ;) but can you tell me which file I have to modify so as to change the tablet name, "CUBE U9GT2" ?

Thank you very much ! Have a nice day

wackym

Dec 1, 2010
Hello,
Thank you for this great job, I've updated my U9GT2 with your firmware, it works well ! that's really great from you, thank you for that.
You're welcome.

Do you think it will work properly if I create my own system image with Maps and Docs apk included ?
If it doesn't work now, putting those files to system.img won't change it... Which Maps and Docs apks did you use? They need to be ICS version... Try google maps from gapps-ics-20111125-2.zip pack (see: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1356228

- I found your scripts on your other topics, I will test it : I'm currently installing Ubuntu ;) but can you tell me which file I have to modify so as to change the tablet name, "CUBE U9GT2" ?
To change the name you need to edit build.prop file. But be warned! It is very easy to brick your device...so read extensively about android modding before testing the mod on your device (or anyone else's)...

Good luck!

Troelie

Jan 7, 2010
Firmware flash fails

Hello,

I can't flash this one. It fails at the end of the verify.
The 1.0.4 firmware flashes correctly.
Thank god! ;)

Grtz,
Roel

UPDATE: Didn't read the instructions good enough. Did an upgrade... Restore works great! Sorry!

Last edited:
Reactions: sisko7

bouldou

Jan 1, 2012
You're welcome.

I used RK29xxImageTools kindly provided by wendal: www[dot]slatedroid[dot]com/topic/19808-rk29xx-imagetools-v21/ (sorry about the bad url - still few posts short to write proper urls...forum rules)

Steps:
1. Downloaded U9GT2 v4.0.3 20111229.img, gapps-ics-20111125-2 (google apps for ICS from cyanogenmod), Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed, file expert apk
4. Removed su from /xbin
5. Removed angry birds etc. from /app, also removed all libs from those apks in /lib folder. I did this to gain necessary space for google apps without resizing the actual img.
9. Copied proper su to /bin; added proper file permissions (rws-rx-rx) - this is very important for root to work.
10. Edited /build.prop: added "ro.config.hw_hasbootsound=false" to silence the boot sound (which was terribly annoying me :D) and changed wpa supplicant scan interval from 15 to 180s (this probably saves some battery but annoys people with bad signals...but you can change the scan interval "post mortem" with ROM Toolbox...see "build.prop tweaks").
10. unmounted system.img

Hello wackym,

I am trying to follow your steps, and I have a question : which command line did you use for step 3 ("3. Started virtual machine with ubuntu, mounted system.img as EXT3 loop device
") ?

Thank you !

fyresg

Dec 8, 2011
Singapore
The 4.0.3 firmware is GREAT except that Adobe Flash Player does not seem to work with Opera Mobile. :( However, Flash does load really slowly in the stock browser though and the image quality is really bad.

To get Opera Mobile working with Flash, I tried removing Flash and Opera Mobile, then installing Flash then Opera Mobile from Android Market, but nothing works. :( Any ideas?

I also notice that adhoc WiFi is not supported.

Can anyone configure static IP addresses for each WiFi profile? I would like to do so without relying on 3rd part apps.

Thanks!

bouldou

Jan 1, 2012
Alriiiiiight I did it !! Thank you man, you've been a great help ! It took me quite a long time, but I'm really happy :)

I just have some auxiliary questions :

- do you know how to change the disposal of the apps on the first start ? Which apps appear on which screen, and their layout ?

- do you know how to change the default background ?

I've checked this topic, but it's not very clear... I can't find more info ! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=748095

Thank you very much, have a nice day !

wackym

Dec 1, 2010
Alriiiiiight I did it !! Thank you man, you've been a great help ! It took me quite a long time, but I'm really happy :)
You're welcome :)

- do you know how to change the disposal of the apps
on the first start ? Which apps appear on which screen, and their layout ?
No, I don't.

- do you know how to change the default background ?
See this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=810552

hop3l3ss1990

Jul 28, 2010
Ulm
Thank's for this great rom :)

It's working nearly perfect for me, but would it possible, to get an improved build.prop? (or all whats neccessary to fix market problems..best example is the missing facebook app or the boat browser) :)

I tried some differnt changes while comparing your build.prop an the one from an ASOP Samsung Galaxy Nexus Rom (also android ics 4.0.3) but I havn't the desired profit(still no changes). :(

thanks in advance,
greetings :)

bouldou

Jan 1, 2012
Thank's for this great rom :)

It's working nearly perfect for me, but would it possible, to get an improved build.prop? (or all whats neccessary to fix market problems..best example is the missing facebook app or the boat browser) :)

I tried some differnt changes while comparing your build.prop an the one from an ASOP Samsung Galaxy Nexus Rom (also android ics 4.0.3) but I havn't the desired profit(still no changes). :(

thanks in advance,
greetings :)

Yes, that would be great ! I'm also trying to do that, but I do not manage to do it...

And I'm also trying to modifiy the "splash" screen, but I cannot find any "initlogo.rle" file on the boot.img, and even more, whenever I unpack, edit, and re-pack the boot.img file with unpack-bootimg.pl and repack-bootimg.pl (when I try to add my own initlogo.rle, for instance) the tablet does not start anymore...

Any idea of how to do it ? You would be awesome :)

Thank you !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone!

Since most of us are not satisfied with recent CUBE's U9GT2 Android 4.0 build,(s) I/we created mods based on U9GT2 official builds and in the process also fixed some faults :cool:

Mods by wackym:

[U9GT2 v1.08 2012-02-29] Mod V1 by wackym [creation date: 2012-03-10]
    Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?aphsztmezdeo7w8

U9GT2_V1.08_20120229_mod_v1_by_wackym.7z:
    SHA1: 814068758e210204a58d984897c4ee9b7fe30b5a
    MD5: b24c3eb85d0ae0f65653f658941937b1

Changelog:
    - added latest Superuser (ROOT)
    - increased application flash memory to 2GB
    - fixed Calendar sync
    - updated ICS apps
    - decreased size of system.img
    - changed WI-FI scan interval (from 15) to 120 seconds - should save some battery
    - added ADB drivers
    - added and updated Google Apps (currently) not available from Market
    - added Setup Wizzard (for easy language, timezone and google sync account selection on first start)
    - added ES Task Manager (easy and free) and File Explorer (because of cifs support without cifs modules)
    - removed Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, GP Moto, UCBrowser, ApkInstaller, Provision... + libs from those apks
    - removed trash left by CUBE developers

Difference from V2 released on 2012-02-20:
    - USB Mass Storage is working!
    - you can now move apps to internal flash space (internal "SD")
    - updated ICS apps
    - newer base files from CUBE

Notes, bugs:
    If you're still running Android 2.3 and thinking about switching to latest (ICS) version then you should be aware of these (major) changes/bugs cube introduced in ICS:
    - application screen size is reduced - bottom status bar is visible most of the time (but also hides in ICS aware apps)
    - you need to disable USB debug mode to be able to access filesystem on U9GT2
    -MTP/PTP is slow and unstable -> but now mass storage is back!
    - Bluetooth still doesn't work (unchecked for 1.08)
    - Video chat doesn't work (unchecked for 1.08)

Enjoy! :cool:

Previous release(s):
    - U9GT2 v1.07 20120215 Mod V2 by wackym [creation date: 2012-02-20]: http://www.mediafire.com/?5hrw6cng4tddbaa
    - U9GT2 v1.06 20120214 Mod by wackym: https://rapidshare.com/files/1612319326/U9GT2_v1.06_2012_02_14_Mod_by_wackym.zip

RK29 Modding Tutorial

Mods by bouldou:

U9GT2 v1.06 20120214 Mod by wackym modded by Bouldou:
    Download link: https://rapidshare.com/files/2120621074/Cube_1.06_by_Bouldou_V2.rar

Release notes:
    - changed all the Google Apps to the LAST release (February 15th)
    - added Google Docs (which was missing) last version, optimized for tablets
    - added Polaris Office
    - changed ES file explorer to File Manager HD (ahah, I like this one ;) )
    - removed the ugly 3D Analogic clock
    - changed the default background to the nice Galaxy Nexus one

Cube U9GT2 v1.06 by Bouldou:
    Download link: https://rapidshare.com/files/1309861655/Cube_1.06_by_Bouldou.rar?bin=1

Release notes:
    - Added all the Google Apps : Maps, Docs, Gmail, Calendar, Talk, Navigation, Latitude, Quicksearch Bar, Youtube. All are from the last version, taken here : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1484457 It's already optimized for Android 4.04 ! ;)
    - Added File Manager HD, 'cause it's my favourite File Manager app
    - Added... Polaris Office ! There is one issue : it cannot edit Word and Powerpoint files, but anyway it's really smooth and cool ! Cool enough to put it on my release
    - Changed the ****ty default wallpaper, to the awesome one seen on the Galaxy Nexus
    - Change the default language to English and European Time Zone

Notes, bugs:
    - Google Voice Search does not work, I did not have time to check that
    - On the first start, choose "Setup Wizard" if you wanna configure your tablet

Mods by Troelie:
    Visture V2 4.0.3 20120208, pre-rooted by Troelie: (note to everyone: this fw is 100% compatible with U9GT2)
    Download link: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-TOY4lzEN3aYTg5NzljMmMtNTUzMC00YWVkLWFlMWEtNTJkYTMxZDYyOWJh

Release notes:
    - latest Visture V2 ROM, pre-rooted
    - added the latest Google Apps
    - deleted the ringtones to create space in the img

Videos by ColonelZap:

Official CUBE U9GT2 Android 4.0.1:

Short demo of CUBE's official 4.0.3 version:
    Finally, long promised tutorial.

RK29 Modding Tutorial

It took me some time to write this, so I hope this will be useful to you :)
    I also encourage you if you're willing to add your knowledge to this tutorial to come forward and do so. :)
    Is there any chance of getting support for bluetooth sticks in the modded firmware? ICS kernel source code is available for easypix's variant of the Cube U9GT2 at http://www.easypix.info/download/easypad970/open_source_android4.zip (16/Mar/2012), in case that helps. I'm looking for support for the serial bluetooth profile.
    Thanks for the tip on kernel! I successfully recompiled it and tested cifs module.
    I'm currently struggling to compile the BT support...try these modules:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?7yv9833v9n87kat
    You'll probably need to "cherry pick" them...

Does anyone know when our tablet android 4.0 firmwares will be finally smooth? The home screen is choppy, but when turn off the wallpaper scrolling, its significantly better. Also, I think they left out some of Honeycombs bugs, I don't know how, because they are all already fixed in ice cream sandwich by google. I have acer iconia a500 so I know. First one is the keyboard lag within web browser. It lags like hell, just like honeycomb. And also, the recent app button in the navigation bar lags when there are a lot of apps to show. It should be instant in ics. It lagged in honeycomb though. Not to mention the scrolling and slide to close is very choppy too. These two are both fixed in ice cream sandwich, but this firmware still has the bugs. And this one is not related to honeycomb, but the notification tray lags when trying to open while somethings running. What is 1gb of ram for?? So if anybody can speak chinese can they find out when these bugs are going to be ironed out and when the whole system will become smooth by asking Cube or Window, or Rockchip?
    Thanks.
    This is wishful thinking :) That's all I can say... I sincerely hope that M$ doesn't make the same mistake that google did - use virtualized software for UI.

I see that the keyboard is still missing a proper dictionary, so spell suggestions are missing when typing and spell correction causes words to be underlined in red in email and other apps.
    I used Fryesg's link to latinIMEGoogle.apk to install another copy of the keyboard, then selected it as default and set it for the one to use for spell check, but I'd really like to see this fix incorporated.
    Wackym, I see a note for 1.07 (I think) that says this is fixed, but it doesn't seem to be. Can you, or someone confirm that this is still an issue?
    I found another thread with a link to just latinIME.apk (no Google in the name) that will temporarily fix it if installed, but the fix disappears after a reboot.
    Can anyone else confirm the same?
    Wackym, can you comment on this?
    Well, I thought I fixed it...I'll try to do better...

Hi wackym
    I noticed the Ethernet settings, that used to be under Settings in gingerbread versions, is missing in the ICS builds.
    I have the typical ASIX based (asix.ko) USB to ethernet adapter that I would like to use with the few tablets (U9GT2) and cant seem to locate any article or source on how to enable the Ethernet under Settings back on and use an updated asix.ko (compiled for the latest ICS kernel).
    I understand very briefly someone released a patch to enable the Ethernet under Settings on ICS but its a russian site and translation doesnt read that well (filename they quoted is ethernet.diff.tar.gz for the ICS builds but for a different tablet).
    I have tried to setup an ICS build environment following the article at www dot freeyourandroid.com/guide/compile-ics but stucked at section 5 "Obtaining proprietary binaries" and realized the RK2918 binaries are not available under google code.
    Would you be able to help me to enable the Ethernet back on the latest ICS builds, or guide me on the right direction to get pass section 5 at article www dot freeyourandroid.com/guide/compile-ics

I simply need an re-compiled ASIX.ko file for the latest kernel and a way to enable the Ethernet on the latest ICS Settings section.

Many thanks in advance

EDITED:
    The driver source for the ASIX usb ethernet is located at
    www dot asix.com.tw/products.php?op=pItemdetail&PItemID=97;71;101

under Drivers;
    Linux kernel 3.x/2.6.38 (v4.2.0) 2011-09-19 For Android 1.x/2.x/3.0, Linux kernel 2.6.14 and later

FURTHER EDITED:
    I have located a web page on Android x86 port related page, where the developer post an update for Ethernet support to the ICS builds.
    Not sure if it will be of any help...

www at android-dev.ro/2012/02/22/android-x86-virtualbox-support/
    Try these modules: http://www.mediafire.com/?ek31sgyd4j99q1r
    You can load these modules via "insmod" command (from adb shell) or with Mount Manager (or similar) app from market.

Hi wackym !
    I've bought my tablet 1 week ago when I was in china and I'm very happy with it.
    I'm still discovering its capacity and for the moment no regrets.
    I managed to flash your room (1.08) without any troubles !
    Everything works so far.

Unfortunately, I have one major issue : The screen is flickering and not very usable (inconsistant) while the tablet is charging.
    Apparently you noticed this problem before and fixed it with 1.07 (not tested).
    Do you have an idea ?

P.S. (Due to this problem I have to stop to play with it when batteries are empty, that's actually a good thing for my wife :) )
    You could try the insulation trick...to prevent charger tip touching the housing...for me this got fixed by itself with 1.07 mod...but I don't know why.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all who wish to have CIFS (SMB/Windows share) support:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?7iv3auqdzs6da9r
    You can load modules with Mount Manager... I will also add autoloading of these modules in my next mod.
    Hi,

Thanks in advance,

You're welcome.

Steps:
    4. Removed su from /xbin
    10. unmounted system.img

This is important for all who downloaded my 1.07 mod created on 2012-02-19 (see install.txt if unsure).
    You don't need to download 1.07 mod v2. There's a (simple) fix for root issue.
    1. Turn on "USB Debugging" in Settings->Developer options
    2. Connect the device via appropriate usb cable to PC, directly. Do not use hubs or extension cables!
    3. Start up command prompt (cmd) and navigate to adb.exe (provided with mod)
    4. Run "adb devices". Adb will start a server and if all is correctly connected and proper adb drivers are installed you will see this:
    Q:\U9GT2\ADB\Adb>adb devices
    List of devices attached
    0123456789ABCDEF device
    If you don't see any devices then follow step 5 else skip to step 6.
    5. Go to Device Manager and make sure your device got detected and ADB drivers are properly installed. If you see "Android Composite ADB Interface" then there's a problem with connection...try different usb port or different cable. If you see unrecognized CUBE device (with a question mark) then right click on it and select to update drivers then point to drivers in ADB\Drivers folder. Go to step 4.
    6. Run "adb remount". This will mount system partition as read&write.
    7. Run "adb shell". You will be transferred to android shell on the device:
    Q:\U9GT2\ADB\Adb>adb shell
    root@android:/ #
    8. Run "chmod 6755 /system/bin/su"
    root@android:/ # chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
    root@android:/ #
    9. Type "exit" to disconnect. You are rooted. Check with your favorite root permission requesting program. :)