[ROM][7/7/2012] AOKP KF Edition Milestone 6

Search This thread

0xD34D

Feb 7, 2009
San Diego
Team-Kang.jpg

I present to you AOKP for the Kindle Fire
Milestone 6

Let me start off by giving thanks to some people that have made this possible.
Team Kang:
Roman
Whitehawkx
Zaphod-Beeble
Jonathon Grigg
ProTekk
Khas Mek
sethyx

And a big thanks to Hashcode who has made a 3.0 kernel for this great piece of hardware!

Major changes since Milestone 5
  • Removed FB sync
  • Added ability to hide sender and/or message body in notifications (Mms)
  • Added CM9 T-Mobile theme manager
  • Added Sense 4 style Task switcher (you have the option of choosing from stock/web os/sense 4 now)
  • Added ability to play boot sound (disabled by default) -- read instructions in ROM Control >
  • General > Boot sound
  • added delayed ring feature to Phone
  • added Emoji to Mms (enable in Mms settings)
  • added AOKP wallpapers app
  • added USB tether toggle,
  • added AOKP clock widgets
  • added notification counters
  • new boot animation
  • added nav bar widgets (must add nav bar widgets button/long press button in nav bar settings and add some widgets to play with!)
  • added AOKP stats (www.stats.aokp.co) -- you can opt out
  • added bluewall firewall - RC > General UI > Less Notification Sounds -- limits the number of notification sounds an app can play per X seconds, so like 1 GTalk ping/30s, but notifications will still be coming in
  • improved weather code
  • added "copy to clipboard" option in "Share" dialogs throughout Android
  • added hardware info in about screen
  • added new music layout to lockscreen (you can choose between old and new)
  • added nfc toggle
  • added nfc polling settings (Settings > More > NFC polling mode)
  • made lockscreen weather prettier
  • fixed DRM issues
You can find more info about ALL the changes at http://rootzwiki.com/topic/29314-milestone-6/

So what makes this build different from the stock (no longer supported) ROM? Well here's a list of features I've added:

System UI
  • Added volume slider w/mute to the status bar settings panel for quick access to system volume level
  • Added a screenshot button, which can be enabled in ROM Control, to allow quick access taking a screenshot of current screen.

Trebuchet
  • Added an easy access settings button at top right of home screen
  • Added dual docks - now you can use up some of that empty space by placing apps and shortcuts into these two docks for quick access to these apps on any home screen

ROM Control
  • Added screenshot button which can be added to the navbar buttons
  • Added settings for changing location of the volume slider in the stats bar settings panel

At this time I have not found any issues with the ROM. If you find a problem/issue/bug please let me know what it is and how to re-create the problem. Working with the source is far easier than the work I have done with MIUI so I have much more control over the issues.

files
AOKP for Kindle Fire - Milestone 6
gapps

Last edited:

0xD34D

Feb 7, 2009
San Diego
5/20/2012 - Release Build 36

5/9/2012 - Released Build 35

4/29/2012 - Released Milestone 5
  • My ROMs are now available on Goo Manager (Included in this build)
  • Trebuchet launcher has two docks now. In portrait orientation there is one up top and one at the bottom and in landscape they are on the left and right. Each holds up to 5 shortcuts/folders
  • Using Hashcode's 3.0 kernel #8

4/24/2012 - Released build 34

4/23/2012 - Released build 33r2
  • Fixed navbar disappearing when using "RESET NAV BAR" option
  • Added a Screenshot button to the navbar customization section
  • Update to Hashcode's latest kernel (#7 4/22/2012)
4/23/2012 - Updated gapps to the 4/22/2012 bundle

4/21/2012 - Fixed no boot animation showing.

Last edited:
Reactions: OuT.Law

dnathan13

Sep 17, 2010
How is this one different than the other two aokp that have to 3.0 kernel? Is it just the tweaks you made? Maybe you and the other 2 op should get together and get an official aokp going for the kindle

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

smirkis

Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
its build 33, and he made the changes necessary to run the 3.0 kernel.

thanks 0xd3ad, gonna try this one now!

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda premium

dw9906

Jun 24, 2010
Terre Haute, IN
www.facebook.com
How is this one different than the other two aokp that have to 3.0 kernel? Is it just the tweaks you made? Maybe you and the other 2 op should get together and get an official aokp going for the kindle

How about not being a smartass, and just appreciate that is here.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011

Official support for the 3.0 kernel version of the Kindle Fire won't happen until the new kernel is in a more final state.

In the meantime, the community is going to rely on devs to produce up-to-date builds using the latest sources.

Just tossing that out there for what its worth.

Sent from my XT894 using XDA

smirkis

Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
This gentleman is also one of the official miui developers, for what its worth. Not knocking anyone else obviously, but this man is good!

The rom feels good so far, it feels good with hashs kernel. Its my first aokp experience, nice work 0xd3ad

dnathan13

Sep 17, 2010
How about not being a smartass, and just appreciate that is here.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Wasn't tying to be a smartass. I was trying tosee if the devs would be willing to work together on this rom the way hash is working with other kernel devs...
In no way was I complaining or being a jerk.. Thanks for your wonderful assumption and quick response/attack however it was meant

Official support for the 3.0 kernel version of the Kindle Fire won't happen until the new kernel is in a more final state.

In the meantime, the community is going to rely on devs to produce up-to-date builds using the latest sources.

Thank for a quick and logical answer, I was just wondering if collaboration would work to keep things up to date and further advance.

minieod

Jun 24, 2010
San Diego, CA
This gentleman is also one of the official miui developers, for what its worth. Not knocking anyone else obviously, but this man is good!

The rom feels good so far, it feels good with hashs kernel. Its my first aokp experience, nice work 0xd3ad

it feels good , except i can hardly use it - my wifi just wont even turn on

ive rebooted a few times... hmm?

AndroidMobileNZ

Aug 22, 2010
Auckland
I'm getting a few issues with the touchscreen. I long press to move a widget and it doesn't work straight away. It takes a while and then eventually I can move the widget on the homescreen. In fact I'm finding that I have to push some buttons multiple times to get it to work. Maybe it's just the kernel being unfinished?

Last edited:

smirkis

Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
yup, the only thing i did differently is install the 4-22 kernel over the 4-20 one....but .. maybe thats why, ill retry

the new kernel is the issue. I'm on the new kernel but has to modify a file. hash is updating his kernel I believe to address the wifi issue.

playing now with the newer kernel, I'll report back later after I use it for a while

Gam3r 4 Life

Mar 5, 2011
Napa, California
Ive had one minor issue so far, and one not so minor. First minor one is that the digital clock widget is cut at the bottom partially. The other issue is with the navigation buttons settings. I was trying different settings, and then decided to reset it with the reset button. And I completely lost the navigation and status bar. Rebooted, still gone. Reflashed rom still gone. I had to flash ReloadedROM just to get it back.

0xD34D

Feb 7, 2009
San Diego
Ive had one minor issue so far, and one not so minor. First minor one is that the digital clock widget is cut at the bottom partially. The other issue is with the navigation buttons settings. I was trying different settings, and then decided to reset it with the reset button. And I completely lost the navigation and status bar. Rebooted, still gone. Reflashed rom still gone. I had to flash ReloadedROM just to get it back.

Where is this reset button you speak of? I'm in ROM control now and do not see an option to "reset" it.

0xD34D

Feb 7, 2009
San Diego
Wasn't tying to be a smartass. I was trying tosee if the devs would be willing to work together on this rom the way hash is working with other kernel devs...
In no way was I complaining or being a jerk.. Thanks for your wonderful assumption and quick response/attack however it was meant

Thank for a quick and logical answer, I was just wondering if collaboration would work to keep things up to date and further advance.

I'm all for working with others. The problem I have had is that I see people putting out these ROMs but not really fixing issues or making it functional for the hardware it is running on. That was my motivation for building AOKP myself and share it with others.

I see people doing this sort of thing where they port a rom or get something working on another device and leave it at that (not saying that's the case for the other AOKP roms). I understand that is a logical first step, but I like to code and if I can fix problems and add useful functionality I will do so.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team-Kang.jpg

I present to you AOKP for the Kindle Fire
    Milestone 6

Let me start off by giving thanks to some people that have made this possible.
    Team Kang:
    Roman
    Whitehawkx
    Zaphod-Beeble
    Jonathon Grigg
    ProTekk
    Khas Mek
    sethyx

And a big thanks to Hashcode who has made a 3.0 kernel for this great piece of hardware!

Major changes since Milestone 5
    • Removed FB sync
    • Added ability to hide sender and/or message body in notifications (Mms)
    • Added CM9 T-Mobile theme manager
    • Added Sense 4 style Task switcher (you have the option of choosing from stock/web os/sense 4 now)
    • Added ability to play boot sound (disabled by default) -- read instructions in ROM Control >
    • General > Boot sound
    • added delayed ring feature to Phone
    • added Emoji to Mms (enable in Mms settings)
    • added AOKP wallpapers app
    • added USB tether toggle,
    • added AOKP clock widgets
    • added notification counters
    • new boot animation
    • added nav bar widgets (must add nav bar widgets button/long press button in nav bar settings and add some widgets to play with!)
    • added AOKP stats (www.stats.aokp.co) -- you can opt out
    • added bluewall firewall - RC > General UI > Less Notification Sounds -- limits the number of notification sounds an app can play per X seconds, so like 1 GTalk ping/30s, but notifications will still be coming in
    • improved weather code
    • added "copy to clipboard" option in "Share" dialogs throughout Android
    • added hardware info in about screen
    • added new music layout to lockscreen (you can choose between old and new)
    • added nfc toggle
    • added nfc polling settings (Settings > More > NFC polling mode)
    • made lockscreen weather prettier
    • fixed DRM issues
    You can find more info about ALL the changes at http://rootzwiki.com/topic/29314-milestone-6/

So what makes this build different from the stock (no longer supported) ROM? Well here's a list of features I've added:

System UI
    • Added volume slider w/mute to the status bar settings panel for quick access to system volume level
    • Added a screenshot button, which can be enabled in ROM Control, to allow quick access taking a screenshot of current screen.

Trebuchet
    • Added an easy access settings button at top right of home screen
    • Added dual docks - now you can use up some of that empty space by placing apps and shortcuts into these two docks for quick access to these apps on any home screen

ROM Control
    • Added screenshot button which can be added to the navbar buttons
    • Added settings for changing location of the volume slider in the stats bar settings panel

At this time I have not found any issues with the ROM. If you find a problem/issue/bug please let me know what it is and how to re-create the problem. Working with the source is far easier than the work I have done with MIUI so I have much more control over the issues.

files
    AOKP for Kindle Fire - Milestone 6
    gapps

I'm all for working with others. The problem I have had is that I see people putting out these ROMs but not really fixing issues or making it functional for the hardware it is running on. That was my motivation for building AOKP myself and share it with others.

I see people doing this sort of thing where they port a rom or get something working on another device and leave it at that (not saying that's the case for the other AOKP roms). I understand that is a logical first step, but I like to code and if I can fix problems and add useful functionality I will do so.
    I'm back!!!

Since AOKP have decided to no longer support our device, I decided to get back in action with my customized version. So I present to you Milestone 6 with my usual changes. Once they release Milestone 6 to the masses I'll update the OP with the latest change log. In the meantime, enjoy this new release!

L!TH!UM aka |0xD34D|
    I do read. I read one guy says:

Then another guy says:

Then another guy is saying not to download the one from AOKP since it does't run on "our" Kindles.

I've not a clue what he's referring to when he says "Our" Kindles.

And then I read:

And again, I don't know what he means by it's not the same rom as ours.

So before you start mouthing off, perhaps you might like instead to help a person who is confused by all the posts above, and doesn't understand whether or not I can installed the AOKP milestone 5 successfully, particularly if I don't care about having a modified kernel I keep reading about.

To clarify, AOKP merged the old 2.6 kernel based device tree into their sources. It has not been maintained or updated since then. I'm sure you could actually make their M5 build work by flashing back to a 2.6 kernel and then applying the official AOKP build. But there also might be bugs, etc.

A few more bugfixes and I will get the new device tree merged into AOKP for "official" support of the 3.0 kernel based build. At which point we would be able to grab official builds such as this and go crazy flashing.