[PSA] There's an OTA coming and it COULD be bad for us

Search This thread

gunnyman

Apr 12, 2010
Greenville SC
It seems AT&T is pushing out an OTA version 2.20 that is rumored to close all the loopholes we've used to unlock and root the One X.
If you have NOT rooted and unlocked your bootloader and you want to do so don't accept the update.
Wait until someone has gotten a hold of this version and picked it apart before installing it.

Keep Calm and Carry On.

Last edited:

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
If you have NOT rooted and unlocked your bootloader and you want to do so don't accept the update.

Even if you are rooted and unlocked BL, don't accept the OTA, unless you are brave and feel like being the guinea pig (I guess somebody has to be). The install may not work, or it may wipe out root, and the existing root methods may have been plugged up. OTA Rootkeeper might work. It did for the last OTA, but there is no guarantee that it will work this time. Somebody will probably post this as a recovery flashable zip in pre-rooted form. So be patient, unless you feel like experimenting, and living with the consequences.

Thanks for the public service announcement, as I'm sure people will start asking whether its safe to install the OTA.

Reactions: Arkilus

kevina90

Jul 14, 2010
maryland
Bu-bu-but I want the update NOW. Can I plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz install it? I know you said its not safe, but is it safe?

Reactions: zounduser

_MetalHead_

Jun 30, 2010
Portland
It never fails to surprise me how may people who are rooted try to install an OTA.

Or how many people unroot just so they can get an OTA that will provide very little added performance if any. People are sooooo quick to accept OTAs when they have no clue what they are for. I can understand wanting to accept an OTA for a major OS update like ICS to JB (ok that was a lie, I still have no clue why people would rather accept an OTA than just flash a rooted ROM) but to give up root for a simple MR is just asinine.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

zounduser

Mar 2, 2012
sioux falls SD
got replacement, has 1.85 firm, but everytime i run the root script, it says new at&t software update??? im assuming its not gonna let me root!!!

shawn1224

Feb 2, 2010
Something like this should go without saying. Any xda member that's foolhardy enough to download an ota without knowing the consequences, probably doesn't belong here in the first place.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It seems AT&T is pushing out an OTA version 2.20 that is rumored to close all the loopholes we've used to unlock and root the One X.
    Wait until someone has gotten a hold of this version and picked it apart before installing it.

Keep Calm and Carry On.
    CONFIRMED!

CONFIRMED upgrading to the new OTA 2.20 is safe if you already are unlocked with super cid and rooted!

ATT didnt change anything as far as the unlock process with a current token etc. It stuck on my first try, flashed twrp 2.1.8.1 then flashed super user in recovery

profit. Im on 2.20 rooted unlocked etc!!!!!

:cool:
    Metalhead it's part of the changing face of XDA I'm afraid. the D is secondary in a lot of members minds.

Yep. This place is turning into a general Android forum. All the "I'm not really into rooting" posts crack me up.

oh well, looks like im keeping my scratched screen device! ill send them back this unrootable phone. no biggie. just wanted to report in the thread my findings. oh and the unlock_code.bin didnt work. this is gonna suck for people getting the one x right now! its funny to me........they drop the price to 99.99 then push out a unrootable update! lol:mad:

Who said it's unrootable? It's just not rootable with the current exploit. Beaups will get it rooted, he already promised to not sleep or make love to his wife until he does.