Mango new features currently available in the Emulator

Search This thread

Robin.B

Jun 16, 2010
A short delve into the emulator in the developer tools reveals things like navigation that still hasn't officially been confirmed!

Here's what I've found so far:

Zune:
-There's a smart-dj feature

-You can create and save playlists

-There's a "related artists" and bio under the artist tab, great for discovering music

-Podcasts work well

-You can't "heart" songs (at least in the emulator)

-There's still no scrub controls

Bing & Maps
-Bing maps has voice-guided directions as expected

-You can show traffic on maps

-Still no landscape maps

-It's now possible to scroll the mini-map while the text directions are on-screen

-Bing music recognizes music like Shazam and clicking on the result will take you to zune marketplace

-You can now unlock the phone using the search button, apparently

-If you search for something on Bing that has an application equivalent; it will show you a link to the application within Bing.

Keyboard

-Keyboard prediction has been improved a lot:

It previously didn't correct misspellings of many short words like ar -> at, fir-> for and br-> be), now it does

It also now corrects it if you press a letter instead of space between two words e.g. it will suggest "I'm about" if you type imnabout or imnaboit, and will suggest "How are you" if you type "hownarebyou"

The keyboard also corrects common misspellings like Profesional -> Professional

-Keyboard tries to predict next word (as shown at 24th May event), e.g. If you type I, then "tr", it will suggest "tried", whereas in WP7 it will suggest nothing. This seems to work pretty well

IE

- Websites seem to render more accurately

- Websites can use GPS data for location

- Bing suggestions now appear when typing a search in IE as well

- Text still looks garbled when really zoomed out

- Tab animation has changed very subtly

General OS:

- Same colour themes as last time

- It appears you can't "press and hold" the back button in the emulator, meaning possibly we can't do multitasking, even in an unlocked emulator.

Camera

- No changes in general layout. There seems to be a software camera button in the camera app

Can't wait for an unlocked emulator!

Update: If you search for something on Bing that has an application equivalent; it will show you a link to the application within Bing. Picture at the end.

Update 2: Additions to the keyboard section about prediction

Update 3: There seems to be a software camera button in the camera app

Update 4: It appears you can't "press and hold" the back button in the emulator, meaning possibly we can't do multitasking, even in an unlocked emulator.

Update 5: The "my location" icon now has the same colour as the OS theme

Here are some images;

RT7aV.jpg

jtTZ8.jpg

jMq4B.jpg

ZnO76.jpg

wIxrp.jpg

8wj8i.jpg

gIZaa.jpg

dmczn.jpg

wLSSG.jpg

MiCgv.jpg

Last edited:

Robin.B

Jun 16, 2010
Thanks. Updated with one more thing :) If anyone else has things to add, I will update the list

toza

Jan 4, 2009
Thank you for the infos you provided! I was wondering if there's any chance to explain a bit how does the "smart DJ" option in Zune, work?

Can you move songs around freely and then create the playlist or not? How does it work?

Thank you for your time!;)

Robin.B

Jun 16, 2010
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on the emulator. I'll let you know if I can get it working.

EDIT: To expand on that, it says "WE don't have enough info about this artist to generate a Smart DJ playlist"

Last edited:

toza

Jan 4, 2009
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on the emulator. I'll let you know if I can get it working.

EDIT: To expand on that, it says "WE don't have enough info about this artist to generate a Smart DJ playlist"

Who knows what "smart dj" option really is...
Anyway, thanks for your time and efforts! ;)

jmerrey

Aug 28, 2010
On the zune player, the smart dj takes the song you are listening to, and creates a playlist of 25 or so songs that are similar to that song.

cbebop7

Dec 11, 2010
Who knows what "smart dj" option really is...
Anyway, thanks for your time and efforts! ;)

its kinda like Pandora, auto creates a playlist based on your taste with songs from your library and also marketplace if u have a Zune pass. The Zune desktop software has it and so did the Zune HD I m guessing.

And yeah Bing music looks awesome, maybe thats why Shazam decided to remove their app from the marketplace;)

OGCF

Aug 23, 2010
Awesome work so far Robin.B! We're writing an article about this post right now.

Mystictrust

Jul 4, 2009
From the 7.1 Beta Release notes:

"The task-switching user interface that accessed on physical devices by pressing and holding the back button, is not supported on the emulator."

I was looking forward to checking that out, too :(

toza

Jan 4, 2009
@ jmerrey and cbebop7

Ah, that is the thing I was hoping not to get as an answer... I hope you agree with me, that that is kinda useless.:(
It would be much better if one could rearange the songs in wished order, and then save that as an playlist (of course, with a possibility of editing that playlist).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A short delve into the emulator in the developer tools reveals things like navigation that still hasn't officially been confirmed!

Here's what I've found so far:

Zune:
    -There's a smart-dj feature

-You can create and save playlists

-There's a "related artists" and bio under the artist tab, great for discovering music

-Podcasts work well

-You can't "heart" songs (at least in the emulator)

-There's still no scrub controls

Bing & Maps
    -Bing maps has voice-guided directions as expected

-You can show traffic on maps

-Still no landscape maps

-It's now possible to scroll the mini-map while the text directions are on-screen

-Bing music recognizes music like Shazam and clicking on the result will take you to zune marketplace

-You can now unlock the phone using the search button, apparently

-If you search for something on Bing that has an application equivalent; it will show you a link to the application within Bing.

Keyboard

-Keyboard prediction has been improved a lot:

It previously didn't correct misspellings of many short words like ar -> at, fir-> for and br-> be), now it does

It also now corrects it if you press a letter instead of space between two words e.g. it will suggest "I'm about" if you type imnabout or imnaboit, and will suggest "How are you" if you type "hownarebyou"

The keyboard also corrects common misspellings like Profesional -> Professional

-Keyboard tries to predict next word (as shown at 24th May event), e.g. If you type I, then "tr", it will suggest "tried", whereas in WP7 it will suggest nothing. This seems to work pretty well

IE

- Websites seem to render more accurately

- Websites can use GPS data for location

- Bing suggestions now appear when typing a search in IE as well

- Text still looks garbled when really zoomed out

- Tab animation has changed very subtly

General OS:

- Same colour themes as last time

- It appears you can't "press and hold" the back button in the emulator, meaning possibly we can't do multitasking, even in an unlocked emulator.

Camera

- No changes in general layout. There seems to be a software camera button in the camera app

Can't wait for an unlocked emulator!

Update: If you search for something on Bing that has an application equivalent; it will show you a link to the application within Bing. Picture at the end.

Update 2: Additions to the keyboard section about prediction

Update 3: There seems to be a software camera button in the camera app

Update 4: It appears you can't "press and hold" the back button in the emulator, meaning possibly we can't do multitasking, even in an unlocked emulator.

Update 5: The "my location" icon now has the same colour as the OS theme

Here are some images;

RT7aV.jpg

jtTZ8.jpg

jMq4B.jpg

ZnO76.jpg

wIxrp.jpg

8wj8i.jpg

gIZaa.jpg

dmczn.jpg

wLSSG.jpg

MiCgv.jpg
    Right guys, here are some pictures detailing the e-mail set-up and the likes.
    I came to this area in the phone using bing search to search for a local business, dial the number, then add a call to access dialer, then people hub, and then finally adding an e-mail account. Unfortunately, I can't yet add a windows live account. However, I think with some tweaking it may be possible to access the calendar through the e-mail.

Meanwhile, here are some more pictures:

"Save check-in history to improve search results" sounds great, perhaps it will know roughly what places you go and suggest local results accordingly.
    hEa3l.jpg

You can now filter the contacts list to show whichever accounts you like.
    UdrP1.jpg

It seems you can sync tasks from Google as well as Outlook!
    nboHd.jpg

Fairly standard link inboxes dialogue
    edv3w.jpg

You can name it anything you like, and link as many accounts as you want
    9NJn5.jpg

Finally, server-side searching on google e-mail
    VN5oW.jpg

You can also search the e-mail server for history with a contact!!
    uwg0x.jpg

That's all for now, I will do my best to uncover more.
    fantastic write up
    "Bing music recognizes music like Shazam"
    > Shazam inb4 out of business in wp7 lol.
    Task Switching is accessed by pressing and holding F1 on your keyboard.