ICS AOSP Build for 7.7

Search This thread

maconsultant

Jun 10, 2011
New York
I have reached out to some other developers for some guidance on building an AOSP build of ICS for the 7.7.. I am new to android but very computer savvy so im going to try and give it a shot. Anyone here who has a 7.7 and is more versed with building a rom from AOSP source, please feel free to chime in, i can use all the help available..

Sent from another Galaxy...
Tab 7.7

Reactions: CooL4EvEr and levky

scarytas

Aug 5, 2009
I have reached out to some other developers for some guidance on building an AOSP build of ICS for the 7.7.. I am new to android but very computer savvy so im going to try and give it a shot. Anyone here who has a 7.7 and is more versed with building a rom from AOSP source, please feel free to chime in, i can use all the help available..

Tab 7.7

I can't even pretend to be of any help, but I can simply offer you much encouragement, and hope others can assist.

kassemja

Jun 1, 2010
Sydney
maconsultant, I’m not sure if you own or have access to AOSP device like Gnex or Nexus S, if so I would start learning how to setup your build environment and compile with devices as you be able to test your builds. Then move onto 7.7 once you’re a little more confident and have a general idea how the device tree looks.

I have been investigating a possible cm9 port, the 1st hurdle is the kernel which we have sources for, non the less these sources are configured for Touch whiz and there are some differences to a stock AOSP kernel.

You would need to setup a stock kernel as a base. The sources for the core base system don't differ to much, its just the proprietary hardware libs which we have for HC 3.2, i'm not sure how compatible they are with ICS.

I know there has been port of the GT-p7500 (10.1) to cm9, 1st place to look, although hardware is different being tegra based. Second place would be the SGSII ics ports as they have the same processor base and the same GPU. This would be a good generic base to start from.

I’d really like some development on the device, but the sales ban and the Apple circus have seen it banned through most of Europe and the states. 2012 being year of the tablet, doesn’t make me confident on development for this unit.

Good luck and happy reading.

Remember XDA and Google are you friends.

Last edited:

maconsultant

Jun 10, 2011
New York
maconsultant, I’m not sure if you own or have access to AOSP device like Gnex or Nexus S, if so I would start learning how to setup your build environment and compile with devices as you be able to test your builds. Then move onto 7.7 once you’re a little more confident and have a general idea how the device tree looks.

I have been investigating a possible cm9 port, the 1st hurdle is the kernel which we have sources for, non the less these sources are configured for Touch whiz and there are some differences to a stock AOSP kernel.

You would need to setup a stock kernel as a base. The sources for the core base system don't differ to much, its just the proprietary hardware libs which we have for HC 3.2, i'm not sure how compatible they are with ICS.

I know there has been port of the GT-p7500 (10.1) to cm9, 1st place to look, although hardware is different being tegra based. Second place would be the SGSII ics ports as they have the same processor base and the same GPU. This would be a good generic base to start from.

I’d really like some development on the device, but the sales ban and the Apple circus have seen it banned through most of Europe and the states. 2012 being year of the tablet, doesn’t make me confident on development for this unit.

Good luck and happy reading.

Remember XDA and Google are you friends.

kassemja, thanks for the reply.. I already setup my build environment.. I also do have a galaxy nexus.. but its out for repair at the moment (Faulty WiFi Radio) my main thing would be to kill Touchwiz and get it as close to AOSP as possible.. I also thought about the SGSII builds as a point of reference as you said the Processor and Graphics are parallel. I agree with you on all the lawsuits and product bans have gotten things a bit messy. i am hopeful i can build it or someone with more knowledge on the matter can build it for the community. Ill give it a try though.. whats the worst that can happen.. I brick my 7.7.. lol (Thats really not funny.!)

furius

Sep 6, 2009
maybe you can have a look at Nook Color ICS Development thread (special the 2° post):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1370873

The awesome devs on that thread started two months ago in a great operation trying to involve newbe in building from source ICS for the Nook ...

I'm waiting for my 7.7 to be shipped to italy, so it would be awesome to have an early AOSP ICS build!
:eek:

Raziel_Sicily

Jan 6, 2012
maybe you can have a look at Nook Color ICS Development thread (special the 2° post):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1370873

The awesome devs on that thread started two months ago in a great operation trying to involve newbe in building from source ICS for the Nook ...

I'm waiting for my 7.7 to be shipped to italy, so it would be awesome to have an early AOSP ICS build!
:eek:

I have my tablet here in sicily from about 2 weeks :) dont wait for italian release, my hk version is perfect (no ir) i suggest you to buy it from negri electronics and ship it with consegnato.com for avoid taxs and customs ;) fraté é la fine del mondo sto tablet (considerando ke avra ics)

furius

Sep 6, 2009
I have my tablet here in sicily from about 2 weeks :) dont wait for italian release, my hk version is perfect (no ir) i suggest you to buy it from negri electronics and ship it with consegnato.com for avoid taxs and customs ;) fraté é la fine del mondo sto tablet (considerando ke avra ics)

Negri Electronics + consegnato.com
This is exactly what I did ;)
Già sdoganato! Waiting for it!

Sent from my N1 using XDA App

Last edited:

antiochasylum

Inactive Recognized Contributor
@anti... If the post is in the wrong section feel free to move it..

Tab 7.7

"IF"? It is. Development is just that. Not a statement that you have reached out to developers and are going to try and compile from source.

Like I said already props for wanting to learn how to compile. However it should be in general.

maconsultant

Jun 10, 2011
New York
@anti.. I was just updating other people who already owned the device and who are all looking for the same thing. As for props. I wasnt looking for any props.. Im looking to get an AOSP build of ICS for the Galaxy Tab 7.7.. Thanks for the props though, i dont hink i deserve any as i havent been successful yet.

Tab 7.7

O_G

Retired Senior Moderator / Retired ET Admin
Jul 8, 2007
Thread Moved To General

There is no actual development in the first post. Its more of a discussion, they belong in the general section.

Please feel free to post in the development section when there is something available​

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Tab 7.7