modded app sig conflict

Search This thread

radji

Mar 25, 2011
San Diego, CA
This has probably been answered, so you can all laugh at me and point me in the right direction at the same time. :eek:

On my shiny new M8, Twitter and Facebook came preinstalled as system apps.

I took the latest version of each app (from the Play Store) and pushed my own hd-ish notification pngs into each apk. Then I signed them and tried to side load them on the M8. I got the conflicting signature error message. So I tried copying the META-INF and androidmanifest from the play store version to my modded version. Nothing.

So I tried uninstalling the system versions with RootUninstaller. The apps can be frozen, but not uninstalled. If I uninstall them, they just magically reappear when I exit RootUninstaller.

I am at a loss of what to try next. I know the simplest solution would be to uninstall the system version then side load my own modded version, but it seems the M8 doesn't want to get rid of it's system version of Twitter & Facebook. I've also tried using the SE Linux Mode changer before uninstalling and no dice.

Any suggestions?

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
You need a custom kernel, the system partition is not writable. There was a kernel module written by a dev here.

You could probably do it from a recovery too. Hmm. Maybe fastboot boot a custom recovery and use the file manager? Just guessing now. It will probably break OTAs, too, so keep a backup of them.

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
I don't have a custom kernel, I can write, delete, move anything I want in system. I'm rooted and unlocked boot loader with s-off, but thought all that was required to make changes to system is root?

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
I don't have a custom kernel, I can write, delete, move anything I want in system. I'm rooted and unlocked boot loader with s-off, but thought all that was required to make changes to system is root?

Maybe S-Off also disables the shadow system partition, but root is not enough, which is why the custom kernel module was written.