AT&T Motherboard in a Verizon S3 Housing

Search This thread

dereade

Sep 17, 2010
Ok. So. Let me start off.

I buy and sell phones through Craigslist. I have AT&T. I picked up a Verizon Galaxy S3 (because it's supposed to be unlocked. And it was a good deal.) Turns out the sim contacts were ripped out. *Derp.*
I bought an AT&T motherboard off of a friend of mine for $10.

Using wire cutters, sandpaper, and box cutters, I managed to dig out enough metal from the housing, around the power button, to fit the motherboard in snugly. (I'm a Russian. We like to come up with solutions like "Oh, the plane's wing is coming off? Duct tape it is.")

All the connections hooked up just fine. Booted up to a clean 4.1.2. Took my sim. *Yayyyy.*

The camera doesn't work. *I'm assuming this is a firmware difference?*

And my signal drops randomly. *Perhaps I should update the modem firmware?* But I do get LTE just fine with the original Verizon-housing antenna wire.

Thoughts? o.o Concerns? The camera and signal isn't a big deal, since I'm just going to dump this thing on somebody anyway, but it would be nice to sell a...not...completely...ghetto product.

Thanks in advance.

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
Ok. So. Let me start off.

I buy and sell phones through Craigslist. I have AT&T. I picked up a Verizon Galaxy S3 (because it's supposed to be unlocked. And it was a good deal.) Turns out the sim contacts were ripped out. *Derp.*
I bought an AT&T motherboard off of a friend of mine for $10.

Using wire cutters, sandpaper, and box cutters, I managed to dig out enough metal from the housing, around the power button, to fit the motherboard in snugly. (I'm a Russian. We like to come up with solutions like "Oh, the plane's wing is coming off? Duct tape it is.")

All the connections hooked up just fine. Booted up to a clean 4.1.2. Took my sim. *Yayyyy.*

The camera doesn't work. *I'm assuming this is a firmware difference?*

And my signal drops randomly. *Perhaps I should update the modem firmware?* But I do get LTE just fine with the original Verizon-housing antenna wire.

Thoughts? o.o Concerns? The camera and signal isn't a big deal, since I'm just going to dump this thing on somebody anyway, but it would be nice to sell a...not...completely...ghetto product.

Thanks in advance.

Your signal drop is mostly cause of your nv file (which seems to happen a lot to unlocked devices). You can use nv-reader-writer to copy another phone's file and replace yours.

As for the camera, either software issue or the connection isn't right. That being said, it should connect just fine.

gtluke

May 20, 2011
it's the case causing the signal drop, I ordered an international version of the S3 housing off ebay because it was black and mine was busted. The antennae in the housing doesn't line up with my AT&T S3 and causes terrible signal. Took a while to figure that out.
You need the right housing.