OnBootKodi (No Root)

Search This thread

Xtraordinair

Jan 22, 2014
OnBootKodi
OnBootKodi starts Kodi when you start up your device! Also, has the option to start Kodi after a screen timeout period [user set] (If you turn on/off the timeout service, one reboot is required for changes to take effect)

Requirements
-Kodi installed

Changelog
Added timeout support

Source:
Bitbucket

Donations
Donations are not required, but if you like my work they certainly are appreciated! :D
Donate!

Download
GDrive

XDA:DevDB Information
OnBootKodi, Device Specific App for the Amazon Fire TV

Contributors
Xtraordinair, Xtraordinair
Source Code: https://bitbucket.org/Xtraordinair/onbootkodi/overview

Version Information

Created 2017-05-18
Last Updated 2017-05-18

justjones

May 19, 2017
Working with issue

Goes to the Amazon home screen, so far only supports loading Kodi on boot and after screen timeout.

Thank you working on my first gen ftv stick with new menu update. However could not interact with it via either the remote or the amazon iOS remote app. Had to uninstall and reboot to stop it booting kodi. Thanx BB

AFTVnews.com

Jul 22, 2014
www.AFTVnews.com
Worked for me on both a Fire TV 1 and Fire TV 2. Both on latest 5.2.4.1 version. But I could not get the timeout option to work. Not sure about the units used, so I tried 1, 1000, and 1000000 but it always just launched immediately after boot each time.

oppman29

Apr 16, 2007
Philly
Looks like the Time out function is to start kodi after the fire tv has gone to sleep for X amount of time.

Worked for me on both a Fire TV 1 and Fire TV 2. Both on latest 5.2.4.1 version. But I could not get the timeout option to work. Not sure about the units used, so I tried 1, 1000, and 1000000 but it always just launched immediately after boot each time.

nyln

Dec 30, 2015
You can modify Kodi to run as a launcher. Then use Launcher Hijack v3 to make it act as the default launcher. It works WITHOUT root.

Patrick_445

Jun 18, 2014
You can modify Kodi to run as a launcher. Then use Launcher Hijack v3 to make it act as the default launcher. It works WITHOUT root.

How do you turn Kodi into a launcher? And once you have, would pressing the home button on the FireTV remote open Kodi or will it continue to load the Amazon dashboard?

nyln

Dec 30, 2015
How do you turn Kodi into a launcher? And once you have, would pressing the home button on the FireTV remote open Kodi or will it continue to load the Amazon dashboard?

I am not 100% sure, but I think you can edit the manifest.xml file and add a launcher behavior. Not my specialty. If not you could edit Launcher Hijacks open source code to work with kodi, In the meantime just press home when it turns on and it will load your launcher of choice :).

Y314K

Dec 29, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G

I am not 100% sure, but I think you can edit the manifest.xml file and add a launcher behavior. Not my specialty. If not you could edit Launcher Hijacks open source code to work with kodi, In the meantime just press home when it turns on and it will load your launcher of choice :).
Would recommend SPMC with Launcher build in. Might be best option:

https://github.com/koying/SPMC/releases/tag/16.7.1-spmc

Haven't had time to test this option. Post your experience.

TV33

Sep 12, 2017
Unfortunately OnBootKodi is being blacklisted via Amazon.

I tried to hide Amazon blacklist Service, but it didnt help
pm hide com.amazon.tv.settings/com.amazon.tv.settings.tv.AppDisableService

OnBootKodi is being shown as disabled package after a FireTV reboot which cant be re-enabled due to non-root privileges.

edit1: also deinstalling tv settgins wont help
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.tv.settings

Last edited:

killerz298

Dec 24, 2007
Unfortunately OnBootKodi is being blacklisted via Amazon.

I tried to hide Amazon blacklist Service, but it didnt help
pm hide com.amazon.tv.settings/com.amazon.tv.settings.tv.AppDisableService

OnBootKodi is being shown as disabled package after a FireTV reboot which cant be re-enabled due to non-root privileges.

edit1: also deinstalling tv settgins wont help
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.tv.settings
I mentioned this in another thread some time ago but it never gained any traction. It appears Amazon is currently blocking these apps by package name alone. Why don't any of these developers just change the package name to something already in use on the app store that way Amazon can't block it without also blocking the real app?

Top Liked Posts