[Q] Tegra release 15 harmony

Search This thread

gokussx4

Jun 4, 2012
I did some searching on this and maybe I am failing here but this has the driver package for harmony. It is beta and they have deprecated harmony but isn't this what is needed in order to support hardware acceleration with ICS?

developer.nvidia.com/linux-tegra

Reactions: breadland

zoppp

Nov 17, 2011
Lets see what our talented Devs can do!

Sent from my Handheld Portal Device

nitrogen618

Jul 14, 2010
Supported Features

Kernel version 3.1.10
Media APIs:
OpenGL ES 2.0
OpenGL ES 1.1
Open GL ES path extensions
EGL 1.4 with EGLImage
X Resize, Rotate and Reflect Extension (RandR) 1.3
X11 ABI 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11 support

Looks promising.

Seems like i won't trash this phone for the Galaxy Nexus.

aaCotyaa

May 15, 2012
Alabama
New Features

This release fixes some issues that were found during continued testing and adds/enhances the following features:

Preliminary U Boot support. For more information, see U-Boot support is preliminary in this release in the Implementation Notes section. The multimedia streaming and capture applications nvgstplayer and nvgstcapture are included in the release file instead of being provided as a separate downloadable package. The Tegra X Driver ABI 12 is supported.

Also note that this is only a beta release and is for testing purposes only.

gokussx4

Jun 4, 2012
I believe that's for the tegra not tegra2

I believe you are incorrect with that statement, if you check out the site it says tegra 2. Please do correct how I am wrong if so, I am new to this :)

Linux For Tegra
Overview

NVIDIA is pleased to announce that Linux for Tegra release 15 Beta is now available. The NVIDIA Tegra Linux Driver Package supports development of platforms running:

NVIDIA Tegra 3 series computer-on-a-chip (Cardhu)
NVIDIA Tegra 2 series computer-on-a-chip (Harmony* and Ventana)
3.1.10 Linux kernel

* Additionally, developers should note that support for Harmony devices are deprecated. We provide the harmony build for reference only and it is provided as-is. Support for Harmony will transition to community-supported Linux kernels, and Ventana will be the Tegra 2 reference platform.

aaCotyaa

May 15, 2012
Alabama
I believe that's for the tegra not tegra2

Quoted from Nvidia's website:

NVIDIA is pleased to announce that Linux for Tegra release 15 Beta is now available. The NVIDIA Tegra Linux Driver Package supports development of platforms running:

3.1.10 Linux kernel
* Additionally, developers should note that support for Harmony devices are deprecated. We provide the harmony build for reference only and it is provided as-is. Support for Harmony will transition to community-supported Linux kernels, and Ventana will be the Tegra 2 reference platform.

robmalt

May 17, 2008
Here is my understanding:

This contains compiled binaries for a reference board.

There are two ways to get ICS support for the G2x:

1. Uncompiled reference source code is needed so it can be modified for use with the G2x.
2. Compiled binaries for the G2x must be provided.

#2 cannot come from nvidia for various reasons but rather must come from an OEM (LG).

Feb 28, 2012
Mississauga
Quoted from Nvidia's website:

3.1.10 Linux kernel

My mistake good man should have payed attention to detail

nitrogen618

Jul 14, 2010
Hm. I just noticed it is says Linux, and not Android...

I wonder if that will work.. Maybe some of our awesome dev can rip the right part to get everything working . :)

aaCotyaa

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Android is Linux based. Tegra is for mobile processors. I'm not sure but I don't think we can expect all the necessary components in this package.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA

SefEXE

Aug 1, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Maybe its just me, but I think if this is what was needed, well CM would be on it and someone would have at least attempted something by now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I did some searching on this and maybe I am failing here but this has the driver package for harmony. It is beta and they have deprecated harmony but isn't this what is needed in order to support hardware acceleration with ICS?

developer.nvidia.com/linux-tegra
    Well considering it's a 3.xx kernel, and it has new Video drivers...

I think this is newly released. Not sure. Hope it's something half useful.

We already have 3.x kernels in operation as of now. Yes the video drivers look tasty, but I won't bite till I know it's edible.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA
    NVIDIA released ICS Android images for the Tegra 3 platform and Tegra 2 platform as they stated they would.

"Tegra 2 Dual Core and Tegra 3 Quad Core reference devices to be made available early next year. This release package will comprise of binary code, drivers developed on our reference platforms and any patches necessary to ensure stability & performance with ICS."

Yet, the Tegra 2 AP20H SOC platform aka "Harmony" was depreciated since the Froyo release of Android by NVIDIA, and since then, the same binary drivers were used by LG (and developers of course) for Gingerbread and all other deviations of android. Since LG and Developers have to use the same drivers, the full use of ICS hardware acceleration is difficult to achieve and I believe that is the reason for LG's push back of releasing an update for the O2x and also the reason why the G2x will no longer be updated. So I assume that LG is experiencing the same problems that Ricardo and any other developer working on ICS is having. With the lack of NVIDIA's support on their own processor and them neglecting access to any hardware specification, it's almost impossible to write our own drivers. Therefore I predict that if we ever get an update to 4.0, either by LG or a Developer, it will be a crippled derivative of android using the same old drivers and hacked functionality close to what we have now. I hope this can help people understand the big picture of what is going on now and what to expect from our phones in the future.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk
    Wtf are you talking about? The games available on PC work better with an nvidia card (not flaming and). What does their mobile selection have to do with their PC gpu / mobo

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Nvidia dumps their product and dont provide updates. Happened for mobo and vid card.. drivers are closed source and cant recode ****.. Ati offers better performance imo

Sent via G2X-SINGH-UI
    Not entirely in my opinion, that doesn't mean they are gonna upgrade those phones to new any new os when they're released (4.1-5.0) and they probably wont be sharing anything with the community for devs like they handled the tegra 1,2. Nvidia is the first thing I'll look for when purchasing a phone, which blows since this has so much potential!!!

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Potential means nothing unless it is realized which, in the case of the Tegra 2 AP20H, is not and never will be. The Tegra 3 is just a transitional SOC, find NVIDIA's timeline for SOC development and you'll see that. I am probably not going to buy another Android phone because of all the B.S. from Google regarding promoting Open Source which Android isn't, just enough to fool developers and not enough to enable developers to fully implement hardware features because companies, such as NVIDIA, are not required to reveal source code for hardware drivers. We're stuck with only one iteration/version of the Android kernel for a phone's chipset because Google disenfranchises the hardware from receiving updates/upgrades due to Google correcting errors it made in its specifications for hardware before it developed ICS is another reason for abandoning Android. Even Apple, with its closed-source iOS, has a better track record for keeping prior hardware up-to-date with firmware and software.