Search This thread

pittvandewitt

Mar 11, 2012
's-Hertogenbosch
IoQldeF.png

Wavelet
Headphone specific equalization

Introduction
Wavelet may be the most powerful equalizer for Android to date that doesn't require root or an unlocked bootloader. It is capable of processing audio system wide and supports optimal equalization settings for over 3300 headphones. That's way more headphones to choose from than the Sonarworks and Dirac android apps combined have to offer.
Supporting this many headphones has been made possible by Jaakko for letting me use his awesome AutoEq project.

Features
The app features a minimal UI with plenty of options for customization:
You can use AutoEq to equalize your headphones to the Harman standard. The graph visualizes the compensation applied.
There's a 9 band graphical equalizer you can use fine tune the result or set up when your headphones don't appear to be available in the database.
The effects section offers effects such as bass boost, virtualization and reverberation. There's a bass tuner option too to give your beats that little extra thump, or reduce bass if you're not a basshead.
At the bottom you can find the gain controls. There's a limiter allowing you to reduce dynamic range and a channel balance feature for when you find one channel playing too loud or if you just want to reduce the overall output volume.

Installation
Wavelet can be downloaded here from Google Play.
Features displayed vary on the mode you're using and what output device is connected.
I strongly recommend checking out the README and read up on legacy mode to help you get the best experience

XDA:DevDB Information
Wavelet, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
pittvandewitt

Version Information
Stable
Current Stable Version: 23.09
Stable Release Date: 2023-09-27

Created 2020-05-11
Last Updated 2023-09-27

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220702-215756_framed.png
    Screenshot_20220702-215756_framed.png
    302.4 KB · Views: 742
  • Screenshot_20220702-220125_framed.png
    Screenshot_20220702-220125_framed.png
    237.5 KB · Views: 756
  • Screenshot_20220702-220225_framed.png
    Screenshot_20220702-220225_framed.png
    346 KB · Views: 627
  • Screenshot_20220702-220115_framed.png
    Screenshot_20220702-220115_framed.png
    277.4 KB · Views: 717
Last edited:

s8m

Oct 9, 2010
Google Play link isn't working...

EDIT: Now it is!

Last edited:

s8m

Oct 9, 2010
Google Play link isn't working...

EDIT: Now it is!
First impressions - awesome work! Nice UI and my headphones were recognized. I could only get legacy mode working but the graphical EQ is nice to have if the headphone correction isn't quite tuned for your ears. I think this is going to be a popular audio mod/app...looking forward to further development. :good:

MishaalRahman

Retired Editor in Chief
Nov 2, 2015
www.xda-developers.com
Can you explain how this app is able to apply EQ effects without having root access or being a system app? What kind of APIs are you using? Thanks!

edit: actually, would love if we could chat more about this project. Giving this a shot right now with my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones and it seems pretty nice. Feel free to email me at mishaal@xda-developers.com

Last edited:
Reactions: fraz1776

pittvandewitt

Mar 11, 2012
's-Hertogenbosch
First impressions - awesome work! Nice UI and my headphones were recognized. I could only get legacy mode working but the graphical EQ is nice to have if the headphone correction isn't quite tuned for your ears. I think this is going to be a popular audio mod/app...looking forward to further development. :good:
Thank you! I put a lot of thought in the design.
Legacy/regular mode is the best solution I could come up with to cope with the finicky audio sessions design Android has implemented. If it works or not depends on the music player you use and if your device manufacturer allows processing the global audio session or not. Sometimes both modes work and in the worst case nothing might work

Can you explain how this app is able to apply EQ effects without having root access or being a system app? What kind of APIs are you using? Thanks!
The app makes use of standard libraries Android provides. Most of them are available since Android 2.3, but the DynamicsProcessing library is relatively new and allows for much more customizability. It allowed me to build the equalization and gain control features.
Default mode listens for audio sessions started by music players and applies these effects to them. Legacy mode applies them system-wide (session 0), but this may not work on all devices.

coilbio

Apr 22, 2011
Bought the app for developer support, awesome job! I was waiting to see when someone would pick up the audio development.
One less reason for root.

The only thing is clipping when adding bast boost. Bass tuning helps but volume clipping still happens.
Still awesome though.

Medfordite

Aug 29, 2012
Portland
I can confirm. my device also requires unlocking to even test the effects. I have a Galaxy A20 stock phone and quite frankly, it lacks severely with the sound quality on my headphones (Sony MDR-XB50AP/R). I have been looking for an alternative to Viper4Android which has really shown the power of the earbuds, but that requires rooting the phone and a supported ROM. I can understand the monetization of an app to help support the development and do not have an issue with that, but I gave this app a hard pass for two reasons:

1) You can't try the effects mode without paying the fee.
2) The fee for me was $5.49 to take a chance on it, yes I can get a refund on an IAP through Google, but that's not what I'd really like to do.

Why not set the app up to allow people to try the effects for say 20-30 minutes to allow them to see if it works for their needs and then charge the fee if they want to continue using it ?

aillez

Jun 28, 2010
Bangkok
OnePlus 10 Pro

Legacy/regular mode is the best solution I could come up with to cope with the finicky audio sessions design Android has implemented. If it works or not depends on the music player you use and if your device manufacturer allows processing the global audio session or not. Sometimes both modes work and in the worst case nothing might work

The app makes use of standard libraries Android provides. Most of them are available since Android 2.3, but the DynamicsProcessing library is relatively new and allows for much more customizability. It allowed me to build the equalization and gain control features.

Default mode listens for audio sessions started by music players and applies these effects to them. Legacy mode applies them system-wide (session 0), but this may not work on all devices.
Thank you for the app. I've tried work fine with Spotify but not with PowerAmp (i've tried legacy mode with PowerAmp but not working) but as it a first version I hope this can solved in the future update.

So I guess I'll stick with Viper4Android from your release for now.

Sent from my beloved Oneplus 5T

pittvandewitt

Mar 11, 2012
's-Hertogenbosch
Bought the app for developer support, awesome job! I was waiting to see when someone would pick up the audio development.
One less reason for root.

The only thing is clipping when adding bast boost. Bass tuning helps but volume clipping still happens.
Still awesome though.
Thank you!
There is a build in closed testing with a new function that reduces clipping at cost of increased latency. If I'm satisfied I'll release it publicly.

I can confirm. my device also requires unlocking to even test the effects. I have a Galaxy A20 stock phone and quite frankly, it lacks severely with the sound quality on my headphones (Sony MDR-XB50AP/R). I have been looking for an alternative to Viper4Android which has really shown the power of the earbuds, but that requires rooting the phone and a supported ROM. I can understand the monetization of an app to help support the development and do not have an issue with that, but I gave this app a hard pass for two reasons:

1) You can't try the effects mode without paying the fee.
2) The fee for me was $5.49 to take a chance on it, yes I can get a refund on an IAP through Google, but that's not what I'd really like to do.

Why not set the app up to allow people to try the effects for say 20-30 minutes to allow them to see if it works for their needs and then charge the fee if they want to continue using it ?
Thanks for the input and the support. I will think of a way to cleanly implement a short trail. It's easier said than done

Thank you for the app. I've tried work fine with Spotify but not with PowerAmp (i've tried legacy mode with PowerAmp but not working) but as it a first version I hope this can solved in the future update.

So I guess I'll stick with Viper4Android from your release for now.

Sent from my beloved Oneplus 5T
PowerAmp might work if you disable direct volume control in PA and enable legacy mode in Wavelet. The result differs depending on your phone. Else you may be able to get it to work using https://zackptg5.com/android.php#acp (requires root).
Current implementation is the best I can come up with. Android audio sessions are mess..

Reactions: ajsat3801

Dante897

Feb 24, 2013
Thessaloniki
Works pretty well with my S9+ (Exynos) and Sony 1000XM3, I tried Spotify and Spotify Stations, for Stations the app doesn't realize that music is playing, can you do something for this or is it up to Spotify?

Pavamarea

Sep 18, 2013
São Paulo
Working fine in legacy mode on my Pocophone, MIUI 11. I bought the pro version but i couldn't see the limiter option.
Could someone share some phone models for me to search in the autoeq list?

scowley7

Dec 30, 2010
Mornington
Very, very nice. Have it on my Pixel 3a and bought the pro key. Using my Sennheiser HD 120 and sounds fantastic. I like the Legacy mode as I use Google Podcasts most of the time and Wavelet doesn't detect it as a session but I believe this is correct. Could it detect GP so I could use the non Legacy features? Anyway, well done on a great app and slick UI.

thepersona

Nov 9, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
I needed to use legacy mode with Poweramp on my Samsung note 10 plus. I have yet to test this on my pixel 4 XL but I think it'll be the same thing I'll need to enable legacy mode in order to run this app through Poweramp. Sadly I'm missing the limiter option and all the audio effect features like bass boost virtualizer and stuff like that I'd have to pay for I thought the application is free. Is there some kind of code being passed around? If not let me know

Also, are there plans to update the application in order to fix some of the notable errors or issues that have been mentioned, particularly with audio static? Beyond that this is an exciting application and I'm excited to see where it goes. I've been looking for a viper4android alternative that didn't need root and this seems to be the gym that potentially can match that app. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IoQldeF.png

Wavelet
    Headphone specific equalization

Introduction
    Wavelet may be the most powerful equalizer for Android to date that doesn't require root or an unlocked bootloader. It is capable of processing audio system wide and supports optimal equalization settings for over 3300 headphones. That's way more headphones to choose from than the Sonarworks and Dirac android apps combined have to offer.
    Supporting this many headphones has been made possible by Jaakko for letting me use his awesome AutoEq project.

Features
    The app features a minimal UI with plenty of options for customization:
    You can use AutoEq to equalize your headphones to the Harman standard. The graph visualizes the compensation applied.
    There's a 9 band graphical equalizer you can use fine tune the result or set up when your headphones don't appear to be available in the database.
    The effects section offers effects such as bass boost, virtualization and reverberation. There's a bass tuner option too to give your beats that little extra thump, or reduce bass if you're not a basshead.
    At the bottom you can find the gain controls. There's a limiter allowing you to reduce dynamic range and a channel balance feature for when you find one channel playing too loud or if you just want to reduce the overall output volume.

Installation
    Wavelet can be downloaded here from Google Play.
    Features displayed vary on the mode you're using and what output device is connected.
    I strongly recommend checking out the README and read up on legacy mode to help you get the best experience

XDA:DevDB Information
    Wavelet, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    pittvandewitt

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 23.09
    Stable Release Date: 2023-09-27

Created 2020-05-11
    Last Updated 2023-09-27

Beta test is now open!

Hi all,

I just opened the beta track for everybody interested in testing Wavelet. By joining you will receive early bug fixes and maybe bugs I haven't encountered myself despite testing.
    This track is not meant for feature requests, but for helping me out catching bugs before I implement them to stable.

Joining is appreciated!
    20.06 update rolling out right now!

Hi all,

I want to thank everybody for the incredible amount of positive reactions and support. It's truly amazing. A big thank you to the people who pointed out some early issues as well.
    I started rolling out version 20.06 gradually. It contains important bug fixes and some exciting new features, so updating is highly recommended.
    This article published on XDA covers all you need to know about the update.

Enjoy!
    Do you mean that wavelet is not applying any effects to any of the music players?

Did you disable battery optimisation? Battery optimisation stopped wavelet from detecting music sessions for me... @pittvandewitt maybe you can ask the user to disable battery optimisation for the app when it is opened for the first time...

Ps I use a OnePlus 7... So your phone can work differently
    Thanks for the heads up. I will instruct users to do so when this occurs again. This is a major issue plaguing a lot of devices from Chinese vendors: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/122098785

I'm using this app on a OP6t with a BT Bose QC30. Normally there is a short clipping effect at the beginning of the new songs, but it can be avoided by using legacy mode. Its a very simple and nice app!
    Thank you! What you hear is the driver initializing, something that can not be avoided.

Hi Pitt. I downloaded today on my Redmi K20 Pro and it works with Creative Outlier Air flawlessly . l purchased full package right after for support as well please keep up the great work !

Only one minor issue: When I switched bluetooth from Creative OA to Bose Soundlink speaker, Wavelet recognizes new device ( Bluetooth connected ) but it decreases volume to point of tiny sound overall. So I need to manually turn Legacy mode on and volume comes back ( tested on Spotify & Soundcloud )

Could you explain how this happens and can it be improved in future ?
    Thank you for your support! I have no idea how it happens and I'm unable to reproduce it. Do you have both devices connected at the same time? Could you share a screenshot of how you have both devices configured?

thanks hope it gets fixed, also wondering if this helps when you have an LG phone with quad dac
    That won't help. But it seems like Deezer fixed the issue, which is great.

Please read the readme in the op... The player has to send the broadcast for wavelet to detect... Maybe Plex amp doesn't send a broadcast
    Your assumption is correct. A feature request to the developers of Plexamp was made about a month ago.

I don't know how but wavelet has started detecting the headphones I use... Have noticed it for the first time... Will keep you posted...

PS I'm using an OnePlus 7 with OOS open beta 15
    I know how :)