Atrix 2 SOFTBRICK - Help Please!

Search This thread

Benseri

Sep 18, 2012
Hi ya'll.

I have managed to softbrick my Atrix 2 (I do hope it's ONLY a soft brick...). :crying:

I'll try to describe my situation as accurely as I can:

First the current status of my phone - When I turn it on it boots, and I can even call it, and it will ring, and I can answer! - but the screen is off, and the phone is practically unusable...
When I connect the phone through USB to my PC, RSDLite recognates it, and I can try to flash firmwares from there (and also using the moto-fastboot commands directly).

It seems that the screen is off even through the bootloader phase - it dosen't show the Moto logo when it boots at all..

One time I did manage to boot it, and the screen was ON - but after a few hours it whent pitch black again...

Now I'll describe what led me to this situation:
My atrix 2 was bought online from ebay - from an Honk Kong store (I live in Israel).
It doesn't have any AT&T logo on it, and under it's battery it has these details written on it:
MB865
CHWG3219AA
AP3378AE7U2
L646QU228Q

And some more numbers... (If this has any use for somebody I can attach them as well).
From RSDLite this information is printed to me:

ESN: 356378040836041
Technology: WCDMA
Software Version: 6.7.2-226-EDICS-10
Flex Version: NOTAVAILABLE
Bootloader Version: 0a72
DRM Version: N/A

At first it was running the official ICS firmware - but I don't know which one! I didn't know that it was important to know what version if first arrived with - So I rooted it, installed the A2 bootstrapper, and through it Installed PA3, including the needed Gapps.
It was running just fine with PA3, but I preferred returning to the originaI ICS firmware, cause it was faster to me.

OK - now this is were things started to go wrong -
It seemed that I needed to know what was the original ICS Firmware that my phone had come with, inorder to download it from here (sbf.droid-developers.org/edison/), and flash it through Fastboot using RSDLite.

So because it came from the Hong Kong, I thought it might be MEREAT, or SEREAT - And I just tried flashing this version:
6.7.2_EDEM-18-SEARET_cfc.xml.zip

Blah... it was resulted in Failed to flash firmware: cdt.bin - phone returned FAIL.
And now my phone was stuck in Fastboot failure screen.
OK - I thought, this was probably the wrong firmware, i'll just try a different one.

Now I don't remember the next steps I did, because it was all kind of stressfull - but I just tried flashing all the mideastern ICS firmwares (and maybe also the GB firmwares as well) - and non of them worked (all failed the same - with cdt.bin failure).

Now the screen had gone OFF, and I became realy woried that the phone was hardbricked...
Luckely - despite the screen going OFF, it was still (and is still) showing up in RSDLite, and I was able to try other firmware's to flash, hoping I would eventually end up with the right one!

Some where in a post about how to downgrade to ICS, I read that someone failed to flash any firmware, but the InlineFlashing_Edison_67.21.125_CFC_P3_APBP.xml.zip one. So despertely enough, I tried this firmware, although I didn't think my Atrix is running AT&T US firmware originally...
Somehow this firmware flashed! but the screen was still off....

Later I tried to flash using Altered restore-to-ics scripts (using the moto-fastboot command) - And with it I successfully flashed p3_edison-edison-user-4.0.4-6.7.2_GC-220-EDS-3-65-release-keys.
But still...the Screen IS OFF....

Any help would be highly appriciated!!!!
Thank You!

Ben.

1BadWolf

Aug 12, 2012
Nowhere, Louisiana
Oh no, just stop what you're doing and thoroughly read about what you are doing before you do anything else. I don't know how you haven't bricked your phone by now. If at all possible you need to find out what the original firmware version is and download the proper FXZ for that firmware version, and for future reference if you don't have an AT&T phone then you should never, ever, ever flash AT&T firmware.

Brought to you by time and relative dimensions in space.

Benseri

Sep 18, 2012
Do you have any idea how I can find out what was the original firmware at my current situation?

Thank you!

Sent from my MB865 using xda app-developers app

Benseri

Sep 18, 2012
I Tried the Jb leak... It also fails on cdt.bin.
Maybe Ive managed to **** my cdt.bin, and now it prevents me from installing the right ROM? Is there a way to override the phones check of the cdt.bin?
The only cdt.bin it allows me to install is the AT&T one...

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Maybe Ive managed to **** my cdt.bin, and now it prevents me from installing the right ROM? Is there a way to override the phones check of the cdt.bin?

That is because you flashed the AT&T FXZ. Your ONLY possible way to fix it, is to use BMM and backup your cdt.bin and then erase the cdt.bin, then try and flash the proper cdt.bin file with fast boot commands, then try and flash the proper FXZ for your PROPER version of the phone.

I am not going to give any specific details or a how to on this because it is VERY dangerous, but you can search there are a few threads in here on how to do it, or something very similar which you can adapt.

next time, read, read again, then read a third time, and make sure you know 100% that you know and understand what you are doing before you do it. You might be stuck with the AT&T firmware at this point, if you can not do what I am describing.

Benseri

Sep 18, 2012
Wow, it does sound complicated, I hope I can achieve it.
Do you know if the fact the screen has turned Off is related with the damaged cdt.bin?
Besides that - how could I guess at this point what was the original firmware, and thus the original cdt.bin?

Thanks a lot!

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Do you know if the fact the screen has turned Off is related with the damaged cdt.bin?
Besides that - how could I guess at this point what was the original firmware, and thus the original cdt.bin?

Thanks a lot!

At this point I would just pick the firmware you really want and stick with that. The fact that you have not bricked means you probably have an SEARET/MEARET version by default.

I am not quite sure if the screen issue is related, which makes me think that you might have an Asian me865, because it uses a little different video driver, but all of this is just a thought/guess at this point.

Reactions: Benseri

Benseri

Sep 18, 2012
Ok, Thanks. Any idea on how I can install BMM through the fastboot commands? I cant seem to find a guide to this in the forum...

Thanks again for all the help...

Benseri

Sep 18, 2012
Hi,
I'm still looking for a way to install BMM through fastboot, would appreciate any lead on this...

Is there a chance that I already have it installed, or that it is related with my issues? since I had PA 3.15 prior to the problems that I'm facing now.

1BadWolf

Aug 12, 2012
Nowhere, Louisiana
Hi,
I'm still looking for a way to install BMM through fastboot, would appreciate any lead on this...

Is there a chance that I already have it installed, or that it is related with my issues? since I had PA 3.15 prior to the problems that I'm facing now.

BMM is an app. You don't flash it with fastboot, you just install it like any other app, or you could probably push it to your phone using ADB.:thumbup:

Benseri

Sep 18, 2012
BMM is an app. You don't flash it with fastboot, you just install it like any other app, or you could probably push it to your phone using ADB.:thumbup:

Ahhh.... I don't know how this happened, but my phone was sitting dead all week, and I just tried turning it on, and it did! with the screen ON and everything, and it booted the AT&T ICS firmware somehow.
I have a strong feeling that it won't last, because it happened one time before, that it came to life, but after a couple of hours it died again.

I installed BMM through the regular Play store procedure, in case it dies again, maybe the BMM can help me rescue it.

In case any of these makes sense to anyone - an international atrix 2 that managed to boot AT&T ICS Firmware - I would appreciate any suggestion on how to keep it alive.

These are the details that the phone has in "About Phone":
System Version: 67.21.125.MB865.ATT.en.US
Model Number: MB865
Android Version: 4.0.4
Firmware configuration version: GAS_NA_EDSNICSATT_P006
Baseband version: 2012-07-26 12:10 Off.Bld LUD_EDISON_R1D7_PATCH_49_120726_1154 crh1090280_M570_PC_CARD_RAIN
Webtop version: wt-3.0.0
Kernel Version: 3.0.8-g41e08bd emk037@il93lnkdroid12 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 31 19:09:18 CDT 2012
AP flex version: GAS_NA_EDSNICSATT_P006
Build number: 6.7.2-226-EDICS-10
Build date: Fri Aug 31 18:50:08 CDT 2012

alrojas

Apr 18, 2013
Ahhh.... I don't know how this happened, but my phone was sitting dead all week, and I just tried turning it on, and it did! with the screen ON and everything, and it booted the AT&T ICS firmware somehow.
I have a strong feeling that it won't last, because it happened one time before, that it came to life, but after a couple of hours it died again.

I installed BMM through the regular Play store procedure, in case it dies again, maybe the BMM can help me rescue it.

In case any of these makes sense to anyone - an international atrix 2 that managed to boot AT&T ICS Firmware - I would appreciate any suggestion on how to keep it alive.

Baseband version: 2012-07-26 12:10 Off.Bld LUD_EDISON_R1D7_PATCH_49_120726_1154 crh1090280_M570_PC_CARD_RAIN
Kernel Version: 3.0.8-g41e08bd emk037@il93lnkdroid12 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 31 19:09:18 CDT 2012

You need install an International Firmware (Not ATT) MB865 or ME865. But you need fix cdt.bin first.
So you need execute the bat file, inside the attachment, with your phone in FastBoot mode. As another user said it's a dangerous process, but i should work. Althought always there is a possibility that it won't. :/

Then You need flash the international Firmware, I think it's a process that you know, but just in case...

You need 3 things:

The firmware (ICS 4.0.4): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1934874
RSD Lite: http://fwteam.grupoandroid.com/OTAs/RSDLite6.1.5.zip
and Drivers: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_detail/a_id/78863/p/30,6720,8109
About firmware: You can install the five first if you are very sure that your phone is not AT&T. In my experience the ME are more FASTER than MB, but I love my native language ESPAÑOL, and the spanish language of ME is not complete. So I recommend you MB865 Version: 6.7.2_EDEM-18-ASIAOPS It works very well for me XD.

Later of download firmware, install RSD Lite and drivers What you need to do is:

1. Connect the phone to PC
  2. Turn off the phone and then press the volumen +, volumen - and power button, the three at the same time.
  3. Then, you select AP Fastboot.
  4. Open RSD Lite and click the three points (...) and select the firmware downloaded
  5. Click Decompress only wait and...
  6. Click Start button and wait...

Obviously in the proccess do not disconnect the phone. And you need 50-60% of battery at least.
It takes about 10 minutes aprox and the first boot takes another 10 minutes. All you need to do is wait until your phone ask you to SELECT A LANGUAGE.

I hope this can help you.
Bye

Attachments

• flash.zip
    120.6 KB · Views: 118

Benseri

Sep 18, 2012
Wow, Thanks for all the help.
Currently my phine just works somehow with the at&t firmware...
But he dies again I'll try using your script.
Thanks a lot!

1BadWolf

Aug 12, 2012
Nowhere, Louisiana
Thanks a lot!

You should hit his thanks button for the time and effort he put into that post.:thumbup:

Apr 14, 2013
That is because you flashed the AT&T FXZ. Your ONLY possible way to fix it, is to use BMM and backup your cdt.bin and then erase the cdt.bin, then try and flash the proper cdt.bin file with fast boot commands, then try and flash the proper FXZ for your PROPER version of the phone.

I am not going to give any specific details or a how to on this because it is VERY dangerous, but you can search there are a few threads in here on how to do it, or something very similar which you can adapt.

next time, read, read again, then read a third time, and make sure you know 100% that you know and understand what you are doing before you do it. You might be stuck with the AT&T firmware at this point, if you can not do what I am describing.

Please I am not found the thread to fix cdt.bin
Can any one get a link? Please

Benseri

Sep 18, 2012
You need install an International Firmware (Not ATT) MB865 or ME865. But you need fix cdt.bin first.
So you need execute the bat file, inside the attachment, with your phone in FastBoot mode. As another user said it's a dangerous process, but i should work. Althought always there is a possibility that it won't. :/

Then You need flash the international Firmware, I think it's a process that you know, but just in case...

You need 3 things:

and Drivers: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_detail/a_id/78863/p/30,6720,8109
About firmware: You can install the five first if you are very sure that your phone is not AT&T. In my experience the ME are more FASTER than MB, but I love my native language ESPAÑOL, and the spanish language of ME is not complete. So I recommend you MB865 Version: 6.7.2_EDEM-18-ASIAOPS It works very well for me XD.

Later of download firmware, install RSD Lite and drivers What you need to do is:

2. Turn off the phone and then press the volumen +, volumen - and power button, the three at the same time.
  4. Open RSD Lite and click the three points (...) and select the firmware downloaded

Obviously in the proccess do not disconnect the phone. And you need 50-60% of battery at least.
It takes about 10 minutes aprox and the first boot takes another 10 minutes. All you need to do is wait until your phone ask you to SELECT A LANGUAGE.

Bye

Hey, I tried running your attached flash.zip, but I got these output:
writing 'cdt.bin'... INFOPreflash validation failure

Am I stuck with the bad cdt.bin? Is there any way out of it?

Thanks a lot...
Ben.

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX

Thanks a lot...
Ben.

You MUST erase the cdt.bin first, it will try and do a match of what you are trying to flash and what you already have on the partition, especially since you flashed the at&t firmware, it is locked down so tight.

How to erase the cdt.bin with fastboot commands:

1) put your phone in fastboot mode
2) connect your USB cable to your computer
3) open your command prompt (cmd.exe, from the run prompt)
4) cd to the directory that your SDK and fastboot commands are located in, it may be different from my example below, so be aware if/where you have them
5) Run the following from the command line of your OS (assuming windows here, but if you have linux or mac os X, then you should know how to do command line ;) )

Code:
cd \"Program Files"\"Android SDK"\platform-tools\
fastboot erase cdt.bin

6) Try and run the other script that will change your cdt.bin

**NOTE: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU KILL YOUR PHONE, YOU CHOSE TO ATTEMPT THIS AT YOUR OWN FREE WILL!!!

Last edited:

Benseri

Sep 18, 2012
I tried that, it returns:

erasing 'cdt.bin'...
(bootloader) Command restricted
FAILED (remote: )

Do you know any way around that?

Thanks again for trying to help me.

Reactions: 4464

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You need 3 things:

Bye

Thanks a lot!

At this point I would just pick the firmware you really want and stick with that. The fact that you have not bricked means you probably have an SEARET/MEARET version by default.

I am not quite sure if the screen issue is related, which makes me think that you might have an Asian me865, because it uses a little different video driver, but all of this is just a thought/guess at this point.
    Thanks a lot!

You should hit his thanks button for the time and effort he put into that post.:thumbup:

Thanks a lot...
    Ben.

You MUST erase the cdt.bin first, it will try and do a match of what you are trying to flash and what you already have on the partition, especially since you flashed the at&t firmware, it is locked down so tight.

How to erase the cdt.bin with fastboot commands:

1) put your phone in fastboot mode
    2) connect your USB cable to your computer
    3) open your command prompt (cmd.exe, from the run prompt)
    4) cd to the directory that your SDK and fastboot commands are located in, it may be different from my example below, so be aware if/where you have them
    5) Run the following from the command line of your OS (assuming windows here, but if you have linux or mac os X, then you should know how to do command line ;) )

Code:
    cd \"Program Files"\"Android SDK"\platform-tools\
    fastboot erase cdt.bin

6) Try and run the other script that will change your cdt.bin

**NOTE: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU KILL YOUR PHONE, YOU CHOSE TO ATTEMPT THIS AT YOUR OWN FREE WILL!!!