Moto G LTE 4.4.4 [XT1039] OTA update 21.11.56

Search This thread

hkotaku

Dec 19, 2009
en_gb ota update for anyone who still needs it.

Attachments

• Blur_Version.21.1.46.peregrine_retgb.retgball.en.GB.zip
    11.9 MB · Views: 346
  • Screenshot_2014-09-26-21-47-35.png
    Screenshot_2014-09-26-21-47-35.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 808
Reactions: demolition23

vpnair

Jun 12, 2010
Melbourne
I'm a complete technical newbie, so I apologise for what might be stupid questions. I used to own a HTC Desire which had to be rooted to make it suit my requirements, and now I have a rooted Moto G LTE (4.4.4, 21.1.46 from Tesco) which I've had to root to suit most of my requirements.

I'd like to install this update to (maybe) fix the SD card issue. I have "CWM recovery" installed which seems to break the installation of this update. I get a 'install zip' question in the recovery, I swipe yes and then swipe to install root again. At this point the phone boots normally, and immediately after boot it reboots into the CWM recovery screen again (and over). I rebooted into CWM recovery and paniced when I realised that the SD Card isn't there with my backup and so I wiped the cache. This fixed the reboot problem, but I'd still like to update, but don't want to risk breaking my phone.

Can I use the zip 2 posts above me to update to the latest version? Will that be compatible with a Tesco version phone?
How do I create a backup that is located somewhere the phone can see in CWM recovery mode?

Apologies again if this is a silly question, stupid question or anything else. I'm not technically minded, but I'm forced into these corners to make my phone work how I'd like it to. :(

Thanks! :)

If you want to see your backups, place them in your internal SD, as older recoverys cannot read the microSD. I have latest TWRP from 4G development thread and it reads microSD perfectly.

It appears like you have modified the system partition and the OTA will fail (not custom recovery's fault AFAIK). First, try to uninstall anything that has modified the system partition (xposed, busybox, hosts file). Unroot as well if everything else doesn't fix it. Then try checking for updates and installing OTA. You can always 'fastboot erase cache' which will erase OTA and prevent looping (just means you have to check for updates and download it again).

If nothing works. Go to this thread, and download the firmware for XT1039 (Great Britain). You can download either the Retail (if you want to be unbranded) or Tesco. Then inside the zip there will be system.img_sparsechunk files. Flash these using mfastboot (dont use fastboot) using the following codes in this order (they may be more or less system.img files, but just flash them in order starting from the lowest number).

Code:
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3

This will refresh your system partition to how it was (you will lose root, and other modifications you made) - all your data remains untouched. Then reboot your phone and install OTA as per normal. Once complete, flash your custom recovery again and then flash the latest supersu.zip to get root. Done.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2014
Thank you you so much for that. I've tried to 'unroot' my phone as best as I can using version tools but it still won't work so I'm moving onto flashing the device.

I'm just downloading the files now. I'm using Linux, so I think; after a quick search on this forum following post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54927266&postcount=10 ; I use the tool "linux_fastboot instead of mfastboot? The download is taking a while so I'll report back with results. :)

Might I just add how baffling this can be? :silly: Once the phone's updated, I'll try flash the recovery too! :)

mici01

Jul 25, 2013
Rostock
OnePlus 8T
Xiaomi 11T Pro
Hey,

I also got this problem with my XT1039 on 21.1.46 en.DE.
Sadly the fix from vpnair hasn't worked. Maybe because I used en.EU instead of the German en.DE? (I couldn't find en.DE anywhere, but It now shows as en.EU)
CWM still aborts with Status 7 error message, but now reports that the recovery maybe replaced by stock. (But even when I say yes it aborts).
I searched a bit and it says when CWM gives back Status 7 you may have to make a factory reset.
Is there any other thing I could try without factory reset?

Sep 26, 2014
This will refresh your system partition to how it was (you will lose root, and other modifications you made) - all your data remains untouched. Then reboot your phone and install OTA as per normal. Once complete, flash your custom recovery again and then flash the latest supersu.zip to get root. Done.

Hi there,

This seems to have put my system back to stock, exactly how you said, but the update still won't install. It states
Code:
"EMMC: boot: ##lotsofnumbers##" has unexpected contents.
E: Error in /cache/Blur_version.21.1.46.peregrine_retgb.retgball.en.GB.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted"

Should I try and flash the stock recovery? My phone has CMW-based Recovery V6.0.5.0. You didn't explicit say that I should, but it was suggested in your final paragraph. I've literally just flashed the recovery you said you had and it doesn't seem to have made any difference. Different error message regarding problem executing binary in zip. I'm sorry for somehow mucking this up. :/

Last edited:

agusaon

Nov 20, 2013
Hi there,

This seems to have put my system back to stock, exactly how you said, but the update still won't install. It states
Code:
(Status 7)
Installation aborted"

Should I try and flash the stock recovery? My phone has CMW-based Recovery V6.0.5.0. You didn't explicit say that I should, but it was suggested in your final paragraph. I've literally just flashed the recovery you said you had and it doesn't seem to have made any difference. Different error message regarding problem executing binary in zip. I'm sorry for somehow mucking this up. :/

When the phone restarts in TWRP after you clicked install update, touch the middle button of the bottom of the screen, and post here what's the error message you're getting

EDIT: Post the TWRP error message, because it might be a CMW error

Last edited:

hacktrix2006

Jan 15, 2011
Unless the OTA has been modded for CWM/TWRP i.e removed the file hash checks etc, you need the stock 4.4.4 recovery flashed to your device and xposed framework uninstalled. If you have modded your kernel then you also need the stock boot.img flashed as well.

No need to flash system unless you have really modded that partition.

vpnair

Jun 12, 2010
Melbourne
Hi there,

Code:
(Status 7)
Installation aborted"

Weird, not many people have modified boot since there is no custom kernel for the 4G variant (or is there?). As hacktrix has stated, take the boot.img and recovery.img out of the stock firmware you downloaded and flash those too. Like he said, keep Xposed uninstalled (under the Xposed Installer).

Code:
mfastboot flash boot boot.img
mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
mfastboot erase cache

This should guarantee that boot and recovery is back to stock so OTA will work. I have had no problems flashing unmodified OTA on custom recovery, but no harm in flashing stock recovery anyway since you have to flash boot.img too. Good luck.

PS. I really shouldve said to flash boot.img too in the post. I never modify it (only the system partition), so i never do it.

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

Hey,

Sadly the fix from vpnair hasn't worked. Maybe because I used en.EU instead of the German en.DE? (I couldn't find en.DE anywhere, but It now shows as en.EU)
CWM still aborts with Status 7 error message, but now reports that the recovery maybe replaced by stock. (But even when I say yes it aborts).
I searched a bit and it says when CWM gives back Status 7 you may have to make a factory reset.

You have same issue, but you are changing regions (which is okay since it will work with EU too). You can do what is stated above (just the recovery and boot), but I would recommend a complete flash of the firmware for you (like factory reset - but not wiping your data). Backup everything just in case (onto your external SD).

Here's the code (I've omitted the userdata flash so you keep your data):
Code:
mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
mfastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
mfastboot erase modemst1
mfastboot erase modemst2
mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
mfastboot erase cache
mfastboot reboot

Last edited:

jdegreef

Oct 24, 2013
Brussels
Hello everybody,

I wanted to share my experience installing this new OTA (Blur_Version.21.1.46.peregrine_reteu.reteuall.en.EU for my XT1039 Peregrine).

I didn't do anything to get the OTA announcement on my phone, beside buying it :D

My phone has TWRP recovery installed and is rooted with SuperSu.
I used http://xdaforums.com/moto-g/4g-development/moto-g-4g-easyrecovery-toolkit-t2856710 to achieve this.
It has Xposed installed and a few modules too (Gravity Box,...).

First, (but should I say it ?) I made a Titanium Backup of all my apps + data, just in case and a nandroid backup with TWRP.

After googling and reading I knew my custom recovery (TWRP) would cause problems, as well as Xposed, to install the OTA.

So, I understood I had to revert my recovery to stock and disable Xposed.

Xposed was easily disabled by going to "Xposed installer" > Framework > Framework Uninstall.

To revert my recovery to stock I used http://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/app-simple-recovery-switcher-t2857554 with the custom recovery being the one from "Easyrecovery toolkit" and the stock one coming from the stock image for my device.

This beeing done I rebooted the device and install the OTA.
The OTA installation went smoothly and after a reboot my phone was updated.

I didn't even loose root.

To revert it back to it's initial state (custom recovery, rooted) I just add to re-enable Xposed and re-flash my custom recovery with 'Simple Recovery Switcher".

Feel free to ask me questions if needed and forgive my bad English, I'm actually french speaking :eek:

juliatan

Nov 6, 2012
OTA gone

Perhaps anyone kwows solution, but my ota notifcation on my XT1039 is gone. And when checking for system updates via about phone it says for 5 days now (translation from dutch): 'cannot check for system update try later'. Last thing I did was a backup with Titanium as I always do before OTA on any device in case something goes wrong. Setting in Titanium is 'pause app while backup'. After that backup and a reboot OTA problem occured. Never happened before doing a Tita-Backup before system ota update. So might not have to do with that.

I prefer to fix this immidiately for future system updates over the air before sideloading the Ota. But if only sideloading possible, the in this thread (post 11 & 18) offered OTA-file says 21.1.46.en.EU. This is a mistake and the ota is indeed 21.11.56?

Thanks

(PS.First time in a while using xda-website instead of Tapatalk. Awfully disordered it has become).

hacktrix2006

Jan 15, 2011
Perhaps anyone kwows solution, but my ota notifcation on my XT1039 is gone. And when checking for system updates via about phone it says for 5 days now (translation from dutch): 'cannot check for system update try later'. Last thing I did was a backup with Titanium as I always do before OTA on any device in case something goes wrong. Setting in Titanium is 'pause app while backup'. After that backup and a reboot OTA problem occured. Never happened before doing a Tita-Backup before system ota update. So might not have to do with that.

I prefer to fix this immidiately for future system updates over the air before sideloading the Ota. But if only sideloading possible, the in this thread (post 11 & 18) offered OTA-file says 21.1.46.en.EU. This is a mistake and the ota is indeed 21.11.56?

Thanks

(PS.First time in a while using xda-website instead of Tapatalk. Awfully disordered it has become).

The 21.1.46.en.EU is the 21.1.52 OTA the file name just states it a OTA for that firmware version. So sideload if you want mate its as simple as booting into stock recovery pressing Up and Power to get the menu and then hitting the ADB Update menu item, then typing into cmd adb sideload <OTA filename> it will then flash without issues so long as everything is stock i.e recovery and boot. If you have xposed installed just uninstall it then install OTA, after re-install xposed as root doesn't get removed or causes issues with OTA updates.

Reactions: juliatan

BlueFlame4

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 10, 2011
Dresden, Germany
Hi there,

Code:
(Status 7)
Installation aborted"

This is likely because you altered your Bootlogo. Did you remove the message saying your Bootloader was opened? ;)

hacktrix2006

Jan 15, 2011
No its because of the custom recovery. As stated before flash the stock recovery from the full images. Make sure the likes of xposed is uninstalled. If the boot(kernel) has been changed flash the stock boot.IMG once done boot into boot loader type fast boot erase cache boot boot in to recovery and providing you have adb and drivers, press up vol and power then select update adb. Then type adb sideload [name of ota zip] then press enter else pm me and I can do this via remote session.

Last edited:

bananas33

Feb 7, 2014
O2 update

How sluggish are O2 normally with updates like this? An EE handset updated about a week ago but I'm still stuck with effectively no SD card :(

hacktrix2006

Jan 15, 2011
How sluggish are O2 normally with updates like this? An EE handset updated about a week ago but I'm still stuck with effectively no SD card :(

If it a retail version on GB you can just OTA via the recovery using ABD and the OTA attached on this thread.

Just make sure ADB drivers are installed.

Then go into recovery hit VolUP+Power then select Update via ADB. Then use the adb sideload <OTA FILENAME> and it will update your device. Unless of course its a O2 branded firmware.

hacktrix2006

Jan 15, 2011
@kartongknuse thanks for your little quotation there, I am open to criticism, how ever i am not PERFECT! so if some one gets lost in translation they can either ask me for help or rephase or you do a simple search on this site or even google for Android terminology. Better still head here : http://xdaforums.com/moto-g/help/rc-faq-frequently-questions-motorola-t2795336 that will bring any as you put it newbie upto speed. On another note welcome to the site!

now back to on topic issues @bananas33 can you take a screen shot of the Settings -> About phone area only need the bottom area were it states about Baseband downwards.

Even after that and it is possible to flash a retail full image you'll still get the O2 Branding as that is in an area of the phone that doesn't get changed when crossflashing from one firmware to another. PM me if you want direct help and i will try my best to assist you the best i can.

bananas33

Feb 7, 2014
now back to on topic issues @bananas33 can you take a screen shot of the Settings -> About phone area only need the bottom area were it states about Baseband downwards.
Seems to have an O2 baseband and system, I'll try attaching a snapshot.

Even after that and it is possible to flash a retail full image you'll still get the O2 Branding as that is in an area of the phone that doesn't get changed when crossflashing from one firmware to another. PM me if you want direct help and i will try my best to assist you the best i can.
The branding seems to be minimal, three apps is all I've noticed so not a big deal. I was planning on skipping the partition flash and userdata erase but doing the rest of the mfastboot steps from 21.1.46 GB retail then hoping for an OTA update to kick in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-03-06-16-09.png
    Screenshot_2014-10-03-06-16-09.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 185

hacktrix2006

Jan 15, 2011
You'll need to do full flash for it to work. Baseband and system version are different. Just make sure you have a xt1039 you can find that out by connecting to you PC then going to my computer.

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Also you could ring O2 for a ETA on update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm a complete technical newbie, so I apologise for what might be stupid questions. I used to own a HTC Desire which had to be rooted to make it suit my requirements, and now I have a rooted Moto G LTE (4.4.4, 21.1.46 from Tesco) which I've had to root to suit most of my requirements.

I'd like to install this update to (maybe) fix the SD card issue. I have "CWM recovery" installed which seems to break the installation of this update. I get a 'install zip' question in the recovery, I swipe yes and then swipe to install root again. At this point the phone boots normally, and immediately after boot it reboots into the CWM recovery screen again (and over). I rebooted into CWM recovery and paniced when I realised that the SD Card isn't there with my backup and so I wiped the cache. This fixed the reboot problem, but I'd still like to update, but don't want to risk breaking my phone.

Can I use the zip 2 posts above me to update to the latest version? Will that be compatible with a Tesco version phone?
    How do I create a backup that is located somewhere the phone can see in CWM recovery mode?

Apologies again if this is a silly question, stupid question or anything else. I'm not technically minded, but I'm forced into these corners to make my phone work how I'd like it to. :(

Thanks! :)

If you want to see your backups, place them in your internal SD, as older recoverys cannot read the microSD. I have latest TWRP from 4G development thread and it reads microSD perfectly.

It appears like you have modified the system partition and the OTA will fail (not custom recovery's fault AFAIK). First, try to uninstall anything that has modified the system partition (xposed, busybox, hosts file). Unroot as well if everything else doesn't fix it. Then try checking for updates and installing OTA. You can always 'fastboot erase cache' which will erase OTA and prevent looping (just means you have to check for updates and download it again).

If nothing works. Go to this thread, and download the firmware for XT1039 (Great Britain). You can download either the Retail (if you want to be unbranded) or Tesco. Then inside the zip there will be system.img_sparsechunk files. Flash these using mfastboot (dont use fastboot) using the following codes in this order (they may be more or less system.img files, but just flash them in order starting from the lowest number).

Code:

Don't know if anyone has posted the actual OTA for XT039 EU. But here it is.

Motorola Moto G XT1039 (EU)
    Old Version: 21.1.46.en.EU
    Information: 21.11.56.en.EU
    Hi there,

Code:
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted"

Weird, not many people have modified boot since there is no custom kernel for the 4G variant (or is there?). As hacktrix has stated, take the boot.img and recovery.img out of the stock firmware you downloaded and flash those too. Like he said, keep Xposed uninstalled (under the Xposed Installer).

Code:
    mfastboot erase cache

This should guarantee that boot and recovery is back to stock so OTA will work. I have had no problems flashing unmodified OTA on custom recovery, but no harm in flashing stock recovery anyway since you have to flash boot.img too. Good luck.

PS. I really shouldve said to flash boot.img too in the post. I never modify it (only the system partition), so i never do it.

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

Hey,

You have same issue, but you are changing regions (which is okay since it will work with EU too). You can do what is stated above (just the recovery and boot), but I would recommend a complete flash of the firmware for you (like factory reset - but not wiping your data). Backup everything just in case (onto your external SD).

Here's the code (I've omitted the userdata flash so you keep your data):
    Code:
    mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    mfastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
    mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
    mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    mfastboot erase modemst1
    mfastboot erase modemst2
    mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    mfastboot erase cache
    mfastboot reboot
    en_gb ota update for anyone who still needs it.

Thanks

The 21.1.46.en.EU is the 21.1.52 OTA the file name just states it a OTA for that firmware version. So sideload if you want mate its as simple as booting into stock recovery pressing Up and Power to get the menu and then hitting the ADB Update menu item, then typing into cmd adb sideload <OTA filename> it will then flash without issues so long as everything is stock i.e recovery and boot. If you have xposed installed just uninstall it then install OTA, after re-install xposed as root doesn't get removed or causes issues with OTA updates.