[Q] S-Voice mod possible? or get a differnet app?

Search This thread

bajungadustin

Sep 18, 2009
I am wondering if it would be possible to alter the TTS engine in S-Voice. like maybe just replacing the TTS file in the S-Voice folder or something like that.

I like S-Voice but it is kinda slow.. and sounds like GARBAGE... the voice is super clunky and sounds like the equivelent to the old microsoft voice.. just female version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIHGiVNlH9k my S voice doesnt sound ANYTHING like this guys S-Voice.

I tried setting my Voice TTS to google but S-Voice doesnt change. this really bums me out. i have a scottish accent TTS voice i LOVE but its for a program called acapella. and while that app is installed it does show up under the TTS options again it does not overwrite the S-Voice and the Google Brittish accent i have would work but again it wont replace the S-Voice sound.

So i am just wondering if its possible to transplant a TTS file into a different app assuming its the same format..

if not what are some other alternatives to S-Voice.
I like being able to say "stop" or "snooze" on my alarm...
i like being able to wake my phone with my voice...
i like the ability to double press home to open the app
and i like all the features that i can control, settings, timer, texting, ect..

so what are my alternatives that i can get without lsing functionality but get customizble voice options.

Last edited:

vo0x

Nov 4, 2013
I'd like to know this as well before I use my jump upgrade

Sent from my C6603 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

bajungadustin

Sep 18, 2009
I'd like to know this as well before I use my jump upgrade

i recommend the note.. you cannot go wrong.. it does have S-Voice.. but.. it also has Google Now.. so you are not stuck with either.. and anything else you get would be an app available to any newer android.. you just lose some functionallity with the apps not designed for samsung phones.

vo0x

Nov 4, 2013
What does the fox say?

bajungadustin

Sep 18, 2009
What does the fox say?

FlashAnnotate.jpg

Jun 23, 2008
I suspect you are confusing things up with your question..

Basically there are 3 bits of software at work here..

1) The Text to Speech engine that reads out messages/asks you questions in hands free mode etc

2) the Voice Recognition Engine that processes your commands into words when you say things like "hello galaxy"

3) the app that appears when you say "hello galaxy and uses both 1 and 2 to act as a personal agent for you..

it seems you want to change the voice your note speaks to you in.. this link has a tutorial with pictures on how to install more voices for the built-in engine

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2013/11/higher-quality-text-speech-voice-galaxy-note-3.html

In addition you can also swap in settings for S-Voice between the Google and Samsung recognition engine

hopefully this helps somewhat :p

bajungadustin

Sep 18, 2009
I suspect you are confusing things up with your question..

Basically there are 3 bits of software at work here..

1) The Text to Speech engine that reads out messages/asks you questions in hands free mode etc

2) the Voice Recognition Engine that processes your commands into words when you say things like "hello galaxy"

3) the app that appears when you say "hello galaxy and uses both 1 and 2 to act as a personal agent for you..

it seems you want to change the voice your note speaks to you in.. this link has a tutorial with pictures on how to install more voices for the built-in engine

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2013/11/higher-quality-text-speech-voice-galaxy-note-3.html

In addition you can also swap in settings for S-Voice between the Google and Samsung recognition engine

hopefully this helps somewhat :p

No i understand how it works. When i say "hello Galaxy" the technology designed by Sensory called "Truly Handsfree" activates, recognizes that i have said the command and launches the App S-Voice

Then when i say something... The voice recognition engine interperates what ive said and inputs it into the app.

Then the app (in this case S-Voice) responds using a TTS engine.

My issues is that i cant change the engine that S-Voice responds with other then setting a different language and having it talk to me in Dutch or some other nonsence.

I have already downloaded the HQ Brittish accent under samsungs TTS settings. This option selected does not change the voice the S-Voice responds with

Also.. if i uninstall S-Voice.. the option to "play music, send texts, snooze my alarm, take pictures, and wake my phone" go away.
ive tested this... twice...

So my origional question is still the same.. how can i get better quality TTS for the S-Voice app inparticular. The HQ UK voice is not even in my top 5.. there is a lovely Scottish acccent TTS that i have and i would love to be able to make that work. but if i cant transplant the TTS then the UK will suffice.. but even that will not work.
Settings 1
Settings 2
Settings 3
Settings 4 (S-Voice)

Last edited: