[Q] Need help going back to stock, there's some complications with my phone now.

Search This thread

Dagobert_

Mar 8, 2014
I've spent all day yesterday trying to fix this problem. I've downloaded gigs upon gigs of stock rom files, saw a ton of youtube videos etc. Still nothing.

So here's the deal. I had Cyanogenmod 10.2 on my phone for a while now and I've always had problems, although a nice rom but too many crashes, battery drainage etc. So I wanted to go to stock but before doing so I thought I'd give Cyanogenmod 11 a try and see how that works, which turns out to be worse and I lost all phone signal and data, pretty much no service. So now I tried to go back to stock for good. I downloaded the stock 4.1 something rom file, odin and tried going back which didn't work cause I would keep getting a fail sign on odin. By the way I tried different versions of Odin since that was suggested to me by my friend and that didn't do anything either. Then I read a blog about using Samsung Kies on my PC, now after I did that I got a message on kies that my phone encountered an error. Now when I turn my phone on I get a message "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again."

Is my phone bricked for good? Can I go back to stock? I'm not sure what else to do here now. Why is it hard finding a stock unrooted 4.3 rom for my phone on the internet? I also can't use that clockwork recovery mode either, it just gives me the message "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again" when I try going into that to even try and install Cyanogenmod again so I can use my phone until I find a solution to going back to stock.

Help ploxkthxbai.

Edit: Ok so I just installed clockworkmod recovery through odin and I was able to install a rooted stock rom through the recovery, but now the problem I'm encountering is that it gets stuck on the AT&T logo when booting up the phone. Installing stock rom through odin still gives me the fail message.

Edit 2: I tried installing a stock unrooted rom through recovery and it gave me some error but now the phone goes passed the AT&T logo after that however I have no service now. How do I fix that and how should I go about installing stock unrooted rom since Odin gives me the fail message?

Last edited:

theramsey3

Jun 27, 2012
I've spent all day yesterday trying to fix this problem. I've downloaded gigs upon gigs of stock rom files, saw a ton of youtube videos etc. Still nothing.

So here's the deal. I had Cyanogenmod 10.2 on my phone for a while now and I've always had problems, although a nice rom but too many crashes, battery drainage etc. So I wanted to go to stock but before doing so I thought I'd give Cyanogenmod 11 a try and see how that works, which turns out to be worse and I lost all phone signal and data, pretty much no service. So now I tried to go back to stock for good. I downloaded the stock 4.1 something rom file, odin and tried going back which didn't work cause I would keep getting a fail sign on odin. By the way I tried different versions of Odin since that was suggested to me by my friend and that didn't do anything either. Then I read a blog about using Samsung Kies on my PC, now after I did that I got a message on kies that my phone encountered an error. Now when I turn my phone on I get a message "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again."

Is my phone bricked for good? Can I go back to stock? I'm not sure what else to do here now. Why is it hard finding a stock unrooted 4.3 rom for my phone on the internet? I also can't use that clockwork recovery mode either, it just gives me the message "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again" when I try going into that to even try and install Cyanogenmod again so I can use my phone until I find a solution to going back to stock.

Help ploxkthxbai.

The easiest way to fix it is to take it to a best buy store they will flash stock 4.3 on it free of charge, this is the advice that is now given by Samsung. Alternatively you could get the phone jtag'ed or while it says firmware upgrade encountered an issue it is in download mode and you can flash things with Odin. You can attempt to flash a recovery image to see if you can access recovery and flash enewman17's stock restore from the development section. You can also attempt to hard brick it with Odin by flashing stuff that has pre 4.3 bootloaders then use the debrick method here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2549068.

I recommend you try the best buy method first, then try to flash a recovery, then try to hard brick it and recover it and lastly to get it jtag'ed.

If you can't get it recovered after intentionally hard bricking it you haven't lost anything you were still going to need a jtag service but it might work.

Under the advice of Samsung I tried the same thing you did and they told me to take it to best buy to get it fixed, instead I hard bricked it then used the sd card method to debrick it. Which I had already done twice. But that method doesn't work for everyone I was lucky 3 times and had to jtag once(flashed the i747m bootloader bad idea had to jtag) since then I have quit pushing my luck and only flash things I know are safe for the phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

karmasblade

Mar 9, 2013

Help ploxkthxbai.

Edit: Ok so I just installed clockworkmod recovery through odin and I was able to install a rooted stock rom through the recovery, but now the problem I'm encountering is that it gets stuck on the AT&T logo when booting up the phone. Installing stock rom through odin still gives me the fail message.

Edit 2: I tried installing a stock unrooted rom through recovery and it gave me some error but now the phone goes passed the AT&T logo after that however I have no service now. How do I fix that and how should I go about installing stock unrooted rom since Odin gives me the fail message?

Do you still have your IMEI on your phone or is it showing 0?

theramsey3

Jun 27, 2012

Go to settings, about device, what does it show for baseband? Then go to settings, status does the imei number for the phone show up, say unknown or 0? If it shows unknown for the baseband and imei you simply need to flash a modem. If it shows the correct baseband but your imei shows as 0 your imei has become corrupt search for imei restore the fresh a ton of threads about it most people loose lte after an imei restore but there is a fix for that too. If you are having problems with wifi try flashing a kernel.

Last edited:

Dagobert_

Mar 8, 2014
Go to settings, about device, what does it show for baseband? Then go to settings, status does the imei number for the phone show up, say unknown or 0? If it shows unknown for the baseband and imei you simply need to flash a modem. If it shows the correct baseband but your imei shows as 0 your imei has become corrupt search for imei restore the fresh a ton of threads about it most people loose lte after an imei restore but there is a fix for that too. If you are having problems with wifi try flashing a kernel.

I just did that and my phone is now hard bricked. Won't turn on at all, won't vibrate or anything. It's completely dead. Tried the sd card method and that's not working so far. So I need a jtag service for this. Not even sure what that is right now until I look that up after this reply. I did look into those usb jigs but it seems that's only if it's soft bricked.

Edit: Trying the sd card method on the 4th try worked. Now back to fixing this.

Last edited:

theramsey3

Jun 27, 2012
I just did that and my phone is now hard bricked. Won't turn on at all, won't vibrate or anything. It's completely dead. Tried the sd card method and that's not working so far. So I need a jtag service for this. Not even sure what that is right now until I look that up after this reply. I did look into those usb jigs but it seems that's only if it's soft bricked.

Edit: Trying the sd card method on the 4th try worked. Now back to fixing this.

What did you flash that hard bricked your phone? A modem should have been pretty safe to flash. I have flashed a bunch of different ones the worst that ever happened to mine was no service or poor service.

What exactly still needs fixing? No service still? Did you check imei and baseband? Intact, unknown or 0? Will be available till about 7am off and on.

Dagobert_

Mar 8, 2014
What did you flash that hard bricked your phone? A modem should have been pretty safe to flash. I have flashed a bunch of different ones the worst that ever happened to mine was no service or poor service.

What exactly still needs fixing? No service still? Did you check imei and baseband? Intact, unknown or 0? Will be available till about 7am off and on.

Oh man, I might be sounding like a total noob by now but damn I've never had problems installing custom roms and going back to stock before.

So I flashed a modem that was for my phone and carrier in some thread here and that hard bricked my phone when I rebooted my phone. I tried the sd card method and in the end that worked and I could start my phone but no service or anything which at this point is the least important thing. In that thread of the sd card method it mentions how to flash a bootloader to make the phone not require the sd card (which was requiring it on my phone to start up the phone) and now it's hard bricked by trying that, and the sd card is not making it boot into download or recovery mode at all now.

If only I had enough to buy another phone I would seriously punch this phone repeatedly until nothing was left. I've spent like 2 days on this phone now with about 5 hours not counting sleep of time away from fixing this phone.

theramsey3

Jun 27, 2012
Oh man, I might be sounding like a total noob by now but damn I've never had problems installing custom roms and going back to stock before.

So I flashed a modem that was for my phone and carrier in some thread here and that hard bricked my phone when I rebooted my phone. I tried the sd card method and in the end that worked and I could start my phone but no service or anything which at this point is the least important thing. In that thread of the sd card method it mentions how to flash a bootloader to make the phone not require the sd card (which was requiring it on my phone to start up the phone) and now it's hard bricked by trying that, and the sd card is not making it boot into download or recovery mode at all now.

If only I had enough to buy another phone I would seriously punch this phone repeatedly until nothing was left. I've spent like 2 days on this phone now with about 5 hours not counting sleep of time away from fixing this phone.

Are you certain the battery is charged? Should be a question that should be un asked but it does happen. The bootloader you flashed you're sure was for your model and carrier(AT&T vs canadian)? If you flashed the wrong model bootloader then you will need to jtag, If not when I was debricking my phone I had to do a battery pull after each time I wanted the phone to boot with the debrick SD. Are you doing that I don't want you to feel stupid but if you have a lack of sleep and are frustrated simple things can be overlooked. My thought is that If the sd method worked before it should work now especially if you are using the same debrick image. Out of curiosity what model is your phone and carrier?

I wish you the best of luck and hope all works out.

Dagobert_

Mar 8, 2014
Are you certain the battery is charged? Should be a question that should be un asked but it does happen. The bootloader you flashed you're sure was for your model and carrier(AT&T vs canadian)? If you flashed the wrong model bootloader then you will need to jtag, If not when I was debricking my phone I had to do a battery pull after each time I wanted the phone to boot with the debrick SD. Are you doing that I don't want you to feel stupid but if you have a lack of sleep and are frustrated simple things can be overlooked. My thought is that If the sd method worked before it should work now especially if you are using the same debrick image. Out of curiosity what model is your phone and carrier?

I wish you the best of luck and hope all works out.

Yeah the battery is charged, I've tried the battery on another phone as well. I do pull out the battery and all that, and yeah I know simple things can be overlooked. Which is why I tried again today. Oh well I guess it's just one of those things that just won't work for whatever reason. Anyways, my model is SGH-I747 for AT&T. I even made sure that none of it was the SGH-I747M. Oh well jtag is what it is, I guess I rather pay than have to deal with this problem. Only thing is that I've never done that before and so many people are offering it on ebay and I don't know who to go with, I mean I'm sending my phone to someone with no real guarantee or anything that I will get my phone back. And yeah there's user feedback but that could also mean a thousand fake accounts giving good reviews or friends and family giving good reviews for 1 penny sales. Anyone you suggest I go with? Either on ebay or out of ebay? Thanks for all the help btw.

Dagobert_

Mar 8, 2014
Everything seems to be going downhill for me right now. My computer will not recognize any Micro SD or SD cards. It will recognize pro duo cards but not any SD or Micro SD card. I tried all my Micro SD cards and SD cards today and none of them are being detected although they do show up in MiniTool Partition Wizard. I even bought another card reader and it's the same thing. So now my computer is being a twat about this. I think I might as well just listen to some Linkin Park and slit my wrists to end it all. But before I do that, anyone know why my PC won't recognize SD and Micro SD all of a sudden?