[APP][9/23/11] RunDroid-dual boot to (multi) Android [SD] or WM6

Search This thread

Pop45398

Jun 21, 2010
I've created an app for dual booting automatically to Android or WM6. V2.3.2 can boot multiple version of Android on a single SD card and can be customized for text content and language. See post #2 for documentation and screenshots.

The "lite" version is a replacement for using a file explorer to run CLRCAD then HaRET, allowing Android to be started with a single tap on an icon. To install the lite version, simply un-RAR the contents to your Android folder then use a file explorer to create a Start Menu shortcut.

Please leave feedback and suggestions/questions.

French translation:http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13123392&postcount=151

Attachments

• RunDroid_Lite.rar
    74.5 KB · Views: 9,398
  • RunDroid1_02.rar
    172.6 KB · Views: 6,526
  • RunDroid_v2.3.2.cab
    114.7 KB · Views: 10,891
  • RunDroid_v2.3.2_ini.rar
    712 bytes · Views: 5,426
Last edited:

Pop45398

Jun 21, 2010
Documentation and Screenshots

RunDroid app v2.3.2 for HTC HD2 by Pop45398 (@ XDA Developers)

This app can start Android on an SD card automatically on boot-up or with a single tap, thus allowing for an easy dual boot to Android or Windows Mobile, and should be compatible with all versions run with CLRCAD/HaRET. It features a setup menu which allows for user customization including setting the timeout before the default OS is started, thus allowing time to access the setup menu or select a non-default OS. It is actually a MortScript and corresponding MortRunner with a custom icon. It may work on other WM6 devices.

CHANGES:

Version 2.3.2 added a new subroutine to rename the Android folder back to its original name when “Enable Builds” is selected if RunDroid had renamed the folder to Android. This eliminates the folder being renamed to Android[1]. (Thanks to crazycranky!)

Version 2.3.1 features language/text customization. By editing RunDroid.ini with a text editor the user can now change all text for desired content and language (with exception of button text, i.e. Ok/Cancel, Yes/No). There is no longer a need to edit the script for non-English ROMs where the SD card is not called “Storage Card”, a directory tree will appear for the user to locate the SD card’s root.

Version 2.2.1 features some minor changes over v2.1.1. A StartUp shortcut is no longer used for auto-launching at boot-up, instead it is launched during the init process before StartUp programs, hence the elimination of creating and deleting shortcuts from the Setup Menu. A new option to Enable Sense has been added so that Sense can be easily re-enabled if somehow not properly re-enabled during script execution. A setup.dll is now used to run Install and Uninstall scripts.

Version 2.1.1 represents a major overhaul from version 1 and features the ability to boot to a basically unlimited number of Android builds and a guided setup that walks through the setup process on initial running. It will scan all folders in the SD card's root for Android builds, indicated by the presence of HaRET.exe. It asks whether to use each build then asks if it requires renaming the folder to Android in order to run (some builds don't require being in the Android folder). A .cab file is used for installation which is now in the RunDroid folder in the root of the device. The folder name is used for displaying the build's name in RunDroid, with one caveat: if there is more than one build and one of them is named Android, that folder will be renamed to Android[1] so that the selected build folder can be renamed to Android (which is renamed back to original when another build is selected), hence descriptive folder names should be used.

INSTALLATION:

Simply copy the .cab file to the SD card and run it with a file explorer to install. Version 2.3.1 MUST be installed to the device due to hard coded addresses required for auto-launching. This also eliminates the occasional possibility of the SD card not being initialized before RunDroid is started during boot-up. If during installation the SD card is not found by the default name “Storage Card” (usually due to a non-English ROM) a directory tree will appear for choosing the correct SD card root, not Android folder (see screenshots below for an example).

OPERATION:

Start RunDroid with the Start Menu icon. On initial running, a guided setup will walk through the settings. Menus are self-explanatory (see screenshots). Selection is done by double-tapping an entry or tapping once then tapping OK. Only the main (Boot Selection) menu is timed for auto-selecting. If auto-running at boot-up is NOT desired, select “Disable AutoStart” during initial setup or later from the Setup Menu. The Timeout Delay may be adjusted to suit the user and system (see ISSUES section below). Whenever another build is added or deleted, one is no longer desired to be run, or a folder name changed, Enable Builds must be selected from the setup menu which will once again walk through the setup of builds and default OS selection (but not other settings). Builds are displayed in alphabetical order and can only be rearranged by renaming folders, like by adding a number at the beginning of folder names.

ISSUES:

Startup programs, including HTC Sense and Notifications, etc, can briefly interfere with the ability to make selections, causing the default OS to be started before menu selections can be made. To combat this, if enabled and not already started, Sense is disabled then re-enabled on app exit. The Timeout can be adjusted to help with this. If the Timeout is set too low and selecting the Setup Menu or Boot to Windows is not possible, simply re-install the .cab. If unable to boot to Windows because Android starts before the menu appears, power off the device, remove the SD card, then power on the device; if not already at the menu, start RunDroid and go to the Setup Menu and adjust the Timeout to allow more time to access the menu, then power down and re-insert the SD card.

CUSTOMIZATION:

The user interface can be customized for text size, font type, language, and size of menu selection entries by editing RunDroid.ini with a (pure text) editor such as Notepad. Once RunDroid is installed, locate the .ini file in the RunDroid folder in the root of the device (not SD card) and open or copy to PC then open.

The following variables control the font and size of menu entries:

FontSize=23
EntryScale=1.3
FontType=Tahoma

Increase or decrease FontSize to make menu selection text larger or smaller. EntryScale controls the size of menu selections, larger size makes selections easier to make. The scale is in percentage of the font size, i.e. 1.3 equals 130% of the font size. To use a different FontType than Tahoma, the desired font must be installed on the device.

In addition to descriptive variable names, to make RunDroid.ini easier for editing text content and language certain conventions are used:

Variables containing “Sel” are for menu selection entries.

......WMsystemSel=Windows Mobile

Variables Containing “Hint” are for the text that appears in the upper portion. Note that “Setup Menu” is preceded by a period and several spaces. The spaces are to center the text; the period is required because leading spaces will otherwise be ignored and the text will begin on the left instead of centered.

......SetupMenuHint=. Setup Menu

Variables containing “Txt” are for messages and questions which pop-up in new windows.

......NoBuildsMessTxt=There were no Android builds using HaRET.exe found on this SD card.

Do not change the actual variable names, for example “TimeoutMessHint=”, only the text following the “=” sign as these names are hard coded into the script and the new text will not appear.

Editing prior to completing the initial setup is preferred. Once editing is complete, copy the modified file to \RunDroid, overwriting the original. A copy of the modified RunDroid.ini file should be saved somewhere besides \RunDroid because if RunDroid is reinstalled or a newer version installed the entire folder will be deleted along with the modified file. Once reinstalled, copy the modified file to \RunDroid before completing the initial setup.

Attachments

• thumbs1.jpg
    thumbs1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 7,751
  • thumbs2.jpg
    thumbs2.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 8,725
  • thumbs3.jpg
    thumbs3.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 7,046
  • thumbs4.jpg
    thumbs4.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 6,216
Last edited:

Pop45398

Jun 21, 2010

78 downloads (and another dozen in another thread) and finally some feedback, was beginning to wonder if it only works for me. Am glad it works for you.

My original intent was just to make a script that runs CLRCAD then HaRET by simply tapping an icon on the Start Menu instead of using a file explorer to run them separately like the chefs all say. That is what the "lite" version does. I then remembered I had routines in other scripts I'd written a few years ago that could be used to spice it up.

Reactions: revelacao

Pop45398

Jun 21, 2010
Is there interest in RunDroid having the ability to select different Android builds from the same SD card? If enough interest I can do this but because most builds require being located in the Android folder a small .ini file will be required in each build folder so that folders can be renamed then renamed back when a different build is selected. Sorry, I can't edit the original post to make it a poll so you will have to post your interest in this mod.

yesucan

Dec 12, 2010
Is there interest in RunDroid having the ability to select different Android builds from the same SD card? If enough interest I can do this but because most builds require being located in the Android folder a small .ini file will be required in each build folder so that folders can be renamed then renamed back when a different build is selected. Sorry, I can't edit the original post to make it a poll so you will have to post your interest in this mod.

Hooo man i want this :eek::D +1

palmbluetooth

Feb 27, 2006

That would be awsome!!!

Pop45398

Jun 21, 2010
New version

Hooo man i want this :eek::D +1
That would be awsome!!!

I've PMd y'all a download link for v2.01. The new version represents a major overhaul from v1.02 and features the ability to boot to an unlimited number of Android builds and a guided setup that walks through the process on initial running. It will scan all folders in the SD card's root for Android builds, indicated by the presence of HaRET.exe, then ask whether to use that build, then ask if it requires renaming the folder to Android to run (some builds don't require being in the Android folder). A .cab file is used for installation which is now in the RunDroid folder (when installing, be sure to select Storage Card) . The folder name is used for displaying the build's name in RunDroid, with one caveat: if there is more than one build and one of them is named Android, that folder will be renamed to Android[1] so that the selected build folder can be renamed to Android (which is renamed back to original when another build is selected). Whenever another build is added/deleted, one no longer desired to run, or folder named changed (in this case the Droid.ini file in that folder should be deleted), Enable Builds must be selected from the setup menu which will once again walk through the initial setup of builds (but not other settings).

I've tried every combination I could think of and the folder renaming process seems to work fine. Please post if you find any issues.

PS> Order of build appearance is by alphabetical order and can only be rearranged by renaming folders, for example by placing a number at the beginning of the folder name; however, more than 1-9 will screw that up because 10 will appear before 2, etc.

MainMenuV201.jpg

Last edited:

yesucan

Dec 12, 2010
I've PMd y'all a download link for v2.01. The new version represents a major overhaul from v1.02 and features the ability to boot to an unlimited number of Android builds and a guided setup that walks through the process on initial running. It will scan all folders in the SD card's root for Android builds, indicated by the presence of HaRET.exe, then ask whether to use that build, then ask if it requires renaming the folder to Android to run (some builds don't require being in the Android folder). A .cab file is used for installation which is now in the RunDroid folder (when installing, be sure to select Storage Card) . The folder name is used for displaying the build's name in RunDroid, with one caveat: if there is more than one build and one of them is named Android, that folder will be renamed to Android[1] so that the selected build folder can be renamed to Android (which is renamed back to original when another build is selected). Whenever another build is added/deleted, one no longer desired to run, or folder named changed (in this case the Droid.ini file in that folder should be deleted), Enable Builds must be selected from the setup menu which will once again walk through the initial setup of builds (but not other settings).

I've tried every combination I could think of and the folder renaming process seems to work fine. Please post if you find any issues.

PS> Order of build appearance is by alphabetical order and can only be rearranged by renaming folders, for example by placing a number at the beginning of the folder name; however, more than 1-9 will screw that up because 10 will appear before 2, etc.

MainMenuV201.jpg

Thanks man . will try it out ..

yesucan

Dec 12, 2010
I got problem when i install the 2.0.1 version follow the instruction . After doing set up press yes to all folder but i don't see the Android folder in the main screen :confused: only window . Reinstall delete RUNDROID folder still the some . thanks.

Pop45398

Jun 21, 2010
I got problem when i install the 2.0.1 version follow the instruction . After doing set up press yes to all folder but i don't see the Android folder in the main screen :confused: only window . Reinstall delete RUNDROID folder still the some . thanks.

After install was there a RunDroid folder in the root of your SD card? When running the .cab file you must select to install to Storage Card, not to the Device which is the default when installing cabs. It's best if you don't have an Android folder to start with. Each build should have a meaningful name which will be renamed to Android if required, however the original name will appear in the menu, not Android. I found a problem when reinstalling because of the Droid.ini files that were created on the first install but don't think that is your problem. I have now fixed v2.02 to delete all Droid.ini files whenever a setup of builds is done, whether on initial setup or when Enable builds is selected from the setup menu. Sent PM with new link.

yesucan

Dec 12, 2010
After install was there a RunDroid folder in the root of your SD card? When running the .cab file you must select to install to Storage Card, not to the Device which is the default when installing cabs. It's best if you don't have an Android folder to start with. Each build should have a meaningful name which will be renamed to Android if required, however the original name will appear in the menu, not Android. I found a problem when reinstalling because of the Droid.ini files that were created on the first install but don't think that is your problem. I have now fixed v2.02 to delete all Droid.ini files whenever a setup of builds is done, whether on initial setup or when Enable builds is selected from the setup menu. Sent PM with new link.

Thanks man ,will try out now .And give feedback . Will hit the thanks button tomorrow. Finish used already .:D

Edit: It works ! thanks .

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've created an app for dual booting automatically to Android or WM6. V2.3.2 can boot multiple version of Android on a single SD card and can be customized for text content and language. See post #2 for documentation and screenshots.

The "lite" version is a replacement for using a file explorer to run CLRCAD then HaRET, allowing Android to be started with a single tap on an icon. To install the lite version, simply un-RAR the contents to your Android folder then use a file explorer to create a Start Menu shortcut.

Please leave feedback and suggestions/questions.

French translation:http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13123392&postcount=151
    Documentation and Screenshots

RunDroid app v2.3.2 for HTC HD2 by Pop45398 (@ XDA Developers)

This app can start Android on an SD card automatically on boot-up or with a single tap, thus allowing for an easy dual boot to Android or Windows Mobile, and should be compatible with all versions run with CLRCAD/HaRET. It features a setup menu which allows for user customization including setting the timeout before the default OS is started, thus allowing time to access the setup menu or select a non-default OS. It is actually a MortScript and corresponding MortRunner with a custom icon. It may work on other WM6 devices.

CHANGES:

Version 2.3.2 added a new subroutine to rename the Android folder back to its original name when “Enable Builds” is selected if RunDroid had renamed the folder to Android. This eliminates the folder being renamed to Android[1]. (Thanks to crazycranky!)

Version 2.3.1 features language/text customization. By editing RunDroid.ini with a text editor the user can now change all text for desired content and language (with exception of button text, i.e. Ok/Cancel, Yes/No). There is no longer a need to edit the script for non-English ROMs where the SD card is not called “Storage Card”, a directory tree will appear for the user to locate the SD card’s root.

Version 2.2.1 features some minor changes over v2.1.1. A StartUp shortcut is no longer used for auto-launching at boot-up, instead it is launched during the init process before StartUp programs, hence the elimination of creating and deleting shortcuts from the Setup Menu. A new option to Enable Sense has been added so that Sense can be easily re-enabled if somehow not properly re-enabled during script execution. A setup.dll is now used to run Install and Uninstall scripts.

Version 2.1.1 represents a major overhaul from version 1 and features the ability to boot to a basically unlimited number of Android builds and a guided setup that walks through the setup process on initial running. It will scan all folders in the SD card's root for Android builds, indicated by the presence of HaRET.exe. It asks whether to use each build then asks if it requires renaming the folder to Android in order to run (some builds don't require being in the Android folder). A .cab file is used for installation which is now in the RunDroid folder in the root of the device. The folder name is used for displaying the build's name in RunDroid, with one caveat: if there is more than one build and one of them is named Android, that folder will be renamed to Android[1] so that the selected build folder can be renamed to Android (which is renamed back to original when another build is selected), hence descriptive folder names should be used.

INSTALLATION:

Simply copy the .cab file to the SD card and run it with a file explorer to install. Version 2.3.1 MUST be installed to the device due to hard coded addresses required for auto-launching. This also eliminates the occasional possibility of the SD card not being initialized before RunDroid is started during boot-up. If during installation the SD card is not found by the default name “Storage Card” (usually due to a non-English ROM) a directory tree will appear for choosing the correct SD card root, not Android folder (see screenshots below for an example).

OPERATION:

Start RunDroid with the Start Menu icon. On initial running, a guided setup will walk through the settings. Menus are self-explanatory (see screenshots). Selection is done by double-tapping an entry or tapping once then tapping OK. Only the main (Boot Selection) menu is timed for auto-selecting. If auto-running at boot-up is NOT desired, select “Disable AutoStart” during initial setup or later from the Setup Menu. The Timeout Delay may be adjusted to suit the user and system (see ISSUES section below). Whenever another build is added or deleted, one is no longer desired to be run, or a folder name changed, Enable Builds must be selected from the setup menu which will once again walk through the setup of builds and default OS selection (but not other settings). Builds are displayed in alphabetical order and can only be rearranged by renaming folders, like by adding a number at the beginning of folder names.

ISSUES:

Startup programs, including HTC Sense and Notifications, etc, can briefly interfere with the ability to make selections, causing the default OS to be started before menu selections can be made. To combat this, if enabled and not already started, Sense is disabled then re-enabled on app exit. The Timeout can be adjusted to help with this. If the Timeout is set too low and selecting the Setup Menu or Boot to Windows is not possible, simply re-install the .cab. If unable to boot to Windows because Android starts before the menu appears, power off the device, remove the SD card, then power on the device; if not already at the menu, start RunDroid and go to the Setup Menu and adjust the Timeout to allow more time to access the menu, then power down and re-insert the SD card.

CUSTOMIZATION:

The user interface can be customized for text size, font type, language, and size of menu selection entries by editing RunDroid.ini with a (pure text) editor such as Notepad. Once RunDroid is installed, locate the .ini file in the RunDroid folder in the root of the device (not SD card) and open or copy to PC then open.

The following variables control the font and size of menu entries:

FontSize=23
    EntryScale=1.3
    FontType=Tahoma

Increase or decrease FontSize to make menu selection text larger or smaller. EntryScale controls the size of menu selections, larger size makes selections easier to make. The scale is in percentage of the font size, i.e. 1.3 equals 130% of the font size. To use a different FontType than Tahoma, the desired font must be installed on the device.

In addition to descriptive variable names, to make RunDroid.ini easier for editing text content and language certain conventions are used:

Variables containing “Sel” are for menu selection entries.

......WMsystemSel=Windows Mobile

Variables Containing “Hint” are for the text that appears in the upper portion. Note that “Setup Menu” is preceded by a period and several spaces. The spaces are to center the text; the period is required because leading spaces will otherwise be ignored and the text will begin on the left instead of centered.

......SetupMenuHint=. Setup Menu

Variables containing “Txt” are for messages and questions which pop-up in new windows.

......NoBuildsMessTxt=There were no Android builds using HaRET.exe found on this SD card.

Do not change the actual variable names, for example “TimeoutMessHint=”, only the text following the “=” sign as these names are hard coded into the script and the new text will not appear.

Editing prior to completing the initial setup is preferred. Once editing is complete, copy the modified file to \RunDroid, overwriting the original. A copy of the modified RunDroid.ini file should be saved somewhere besides \RunDroid because if RunDroid is reinstalled or a newer version installed the entire folder will be deleted along with the modified file. Once reinstalled, copy the modified file to \RunDroid before completing the initial setup.
    Works Great!

Thanks
    New Version

I've uploaded a new version (v2.3.2). It corrects an oversight on my part. When "Enable Builds" was selected, if RunDroid had renamed a folder to Android it was renamed to Android[1]. In v2.3.2, when "Enable Builds" is selected, if a folder has been renamed to Android it will now be renamed back to original instead of Android[1].

All credit and kudos for this change go to crazycranky!