[Q] Complete noob -please help me get started

Search This thread

LostInNorway

Apr 28, 2014
Hi!

I want to revert to JB 4.3 from KK 4.4.2. Partly because of battery life, RAM use but also because I'm using an external SD card - which basically is pointless from 4.4. on as I've understood... :( Yes, I can store media files there, but I cannot move 3rd party apps from my internal storage (which I want to keep "clean"); e.g. I cannot move a Kindle book from the internal storage and on to the external SD card.
Also, I've noticed that when I take a picture it is stored on my SD card as I've chosen in the options, but if I edit it the edited version is saved on the internal storage... and uses precious space there. And the only program I can use to relocate it to where it belongs is FileCommander, which isn't the file manager of my choice, to put it that way... :)

The reason I chose this phone rather than i.e. an iPhone 32GB was, apart from it's (at least supposed to be :) ) waterproof, is (or rather was, at the moment) the option of using an external SD card to augment the somewhat abysmal storage capacity of 16 GB. With Google's new policy that only 1st party apps can write to it, the point of having an SD card becomes quite debatable...

So, basically - I want to go from Sony KitKat 4.4.2 back to Sony JellyBean 4.3 - nothing more.
And then, the questions I need to ask - and hopefully receive answers to. Perhaps people in the Nordic countries - and specifically Norway are best suited to help me. :)

1) I was thinking of simply using the approach in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNE3eZnlHIw
Which is basically using an official Sony 4.3 flash and use that and flashtool to overwrite 4.4.2 on the phone. ...or did I miss something? :)
I've noticed that I do not have any Developer options under my settings, but it seems that USB debugging is on by default.
a) Will this require that I unlock the bootloader (and perhaps void my warranty - living in Norway)? I can do so (unlock bootloader says "yes").
b) Should I root the device - do I need to back up the TA partition? Also because of potential warranty issues... I cannot understand why, as the phone had JB 4.3 when I got it anyway...

2) Is this 4.3 ftf usable for me, living in Norway? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2657610
I've noticed that some have expressed a little irritation since this ROM is in Chinese... Which I of course can't use. Is this usable anyway? Or are there any other more or less official ROMs I can download - I'd be happy enough even if from Sony itself?

I think that's all - at least for now. Hope some guru out there is able to help me. :)

Last edited:

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
You can use any ftf (Z1 compact firmware of course), but I don't recommend the one you linked as it's a chinese firmware. Check here for firmwares: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2631291
You don't need root or an unlocked bootloader to flash stock firmwares.

As for developer options, go to Settings => 'About phone' and press 7 times on 'Android Build'. This will unlock the Developer options in Settings.

Reactions: LostInNorway

LostInNorway

Apr 28, 2014
You can use any ftf (Z1 compact firmware of course), but I don't recommend the one you linked as it's a chinese firmware. Check here for firmwares: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2631291

OK, perhaps this is better then? I see that's older than the Chinese ROM....
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2633924

This and the Chinese ROM mentioned in my OP are the only I can think of "match" my phone, as the other two appear to be UK and Germany specific, respectively...? Remember, I was thinking of going from KitKat back to Jelly Bean... :)
That is from 14.3.A.0.757 to 14.2.A.1.142 (or maybe I have to settle for 14.2.A.1.114).

Also, if any one has good arguments for keeping KitKat or perhaps know of work-arounds for my main issues (file management and OS and app RAM usage), I'm all ears. :)

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
As I said you can use any firmware. The UK and german are not specific for that country, they just have a different customization. For example the UK version has the 4G icon and the option to enable national roaming. The pre-installed apps are also not the same.

I don't know any work-arounds as I've not experienced any problems since I upgraded to KitKat. There is a fix though for the SD card but it requires root.

LostInNorway

Apr 28, 2014
There is a fix though for the SD card but it requires root.

OK, wasn't thinking of going there originally, but JUST IN CASE I want to try that... Could you give me a pointer as to the procedure? That would be most helpful. :)

EDIT: Is it about rooting "only" (will probably be challenging enough...), and then installing this one: "SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD" ?
(forum rules prevent me from using an external link it seems, sorry)

Last edited:

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
Yes, that's the fix I was talking about. I'm not using it because I didn't face any problems yet with KitKat's SD policy.

Reactions: LostInNorway

LostInNorway

Apr 28, 2014
Sorry, but one thing remains somewhat unclear for me.

If I decide to stick to KitKat, is it enough if I root the phone (and keep the stock installed 757 OS) and then install the SD Card KitKat fix? Or do I also have to unlock the bootloader?
I'd be very happy if I don't have to do the latter, I must admit... I don't like the idea if I screw up totally while unlocking the bootloader and void my warranty and DRM rights, as it seems to me now that I've read a bit about this that unlocking the bootloader is what can really cause trouble... If I've understood everything correct. :)

Last edited:

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
Bootloader unlock is only required if you want to use custom kernels.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As I said you can use any firmware. The UK and german are not specific for that country, they just have a different customization. For example the UK version has the 4G icon and the option to enable national roaming. The pre-installed apps are also not the same.

I don't know any work-arounds as I've not experienced any problems since I upgraded to KitKat. There is a fix though for the SD card but it requires root.
    You don't need root or an unlocked bootloader to flash stock firmwares.

As for developer options, go to Settings => 'About phone' and press 7 times on 'Android Build'. This will unlock the Developer options in Settings.
    Yes, that's the fix I was talking about. I'm not using it because I didn't face any problems yet with KitKat's SD policy.

Yes, you can just do the rooting part. I recommend to upgrade to the latest KitKat firmware after rooting ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2688933 )