[Q] No Signal/Emergency Service Only after ODINing stock rom

Search This thread

myleskeller

Sep 14, 2011
Atlanta
Google Pixel 3a
Hi, guys.

I recently had my gps abruptly go out and did a bunch of stuff to my phone in an attempt to rectify it.
to include:
  • running "gps sgtatus" tools and recalibrating/downloading agps data
  • tightening all the screws on the back of the phone
  • inserting a piece of paper below the contact plate for the gps antenna
  • restoring back to a stock 4.1.2 rom via odin just to access the stupid samsung service mode and doing a nv rebuild

none of these worked. i've basically accepted that my phone will never navigate me anywhere ever again.

HOWEVER, now my signal is going crazy.
Ever since i did the odin flash, I've had:
  • dropped coverage to "no signal" or "emergency calls only" every five minutes or so with no consistency
  • virtually unusable sms, with a single push maybe once every 10 minutes
  • anytime i do attempt to flash something fresh, a signal outage of at least five minutes ocurrs during the initial configuration of the rom

what i've attempted to do to rectify this so far is:
  • reinstall just about every nandroid restore package i've made since before the odin flash
  • install every rom i have on my phone, anywhere from JB to KK and touchwiz to aosp
  • install every baseband i could find, to include MB1, MF1, and ML1 (via recovery .zips)

what the heck can i do?
everything is so unreliable that i basically have a glorified wifi-only device about 80% of the time.

The phone stats:
  • SCHI535
  • VRBMF1 modem (had ML1 at one point via recovery .zip, but reverted back)
  • ParanoidAndroid 4.4 BETA1

Last edited:

Wh1t3Rose

Sounds like to me you just a got a bad egg. How long have you had the phone? Honestly with all you have done so far I would just Odin stock, reset flash counter, lock the bootloader and get a replacement from VZW. This sounds like a hardware failure.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

myleskeller

Sep 14, 2011
Atlanta
Google Pixel 3a
Sounds like to me you just a got a bad egg. How long have you had the phone? Honestly with all you have done so far I would just Odin stock, reset flash counter, lock the bootloader and get a replacement from VZW. This sounds like a hardware failure.

i've had it since last april. like i said, i'm okay with the gps not working for now. if i could just get the thing reliable for the next week, that would be great.
i highly doubt multiple hardware components would fail so close to one another, especially with me seeing the side effects immediately after flashing via odin.

how about this:
i'm trying to eliminate all variables, so i'll go as far back to stock as possible.
would going all the way back to 4.0.4 VRALG1 with a locked bootloader remove any software issues?

Last edited:

Wh1t3Rose

i've had it since last april. like i said, i'm okay with the gps not working for now. if i could just get the thing reliable for the next week, that would be great.
i highly doubt multiple hardware components would fail so close to one another, especially with me seeing the side effects immediately after flashing via odin.

how about this:
i'm trying to eliminate all variables, so i'll go as far back to stock as possible.
would going all the way back to 4.0.4 VRALG1 with a locked bootloader remove any software issues?

With all due respect, if you go back to stock and the problem Is not fixed its a hardware problem. Simple as that. And no going back to 4.0.4 will not help. Also seeing these problems arise right after flashing stock proves its not a software problem because if it was it would be fixed by flashing stock.

myleskeller

Sep 14, 2011
Atlanta
Google Pixel 3a
well, i was able to discover that my imei somehow got wiped, because i never noticed that i could never actually make calls and had the symptoms of this thread.

i followed the instructions in this post, and now i don't even have 4g anymore. 100% tablet mode.

*digs self further into hole*

disregard. i had to check a bunch of boxes in the mobile network options to re-enable data for some reason. basic call functionality still inoperable.

Last edited:

Wh1t3Rose

well, i was able to discover that my imei somehow got wiped, because i never noticed that i could never actually make calls and had the symptoms of this thread.

i followed the instructions in this post, and now i don't even have 4g anymore. 100% tablet mode.

*digs self further into hole*

disregard. i had to check a bunch of boxes in the mobile network options to re-enable data for some reason. basic call functionality still inoperable.
do you have a backup of your IMEI? Even if you restored your IMEI you would still have GPS issues I would think.

myleskeller

Sep 14, 2011
Atlanta
Google Pixel 3a
do you have a backup of your IMEI? Even if you restored your IMEI you would still have GPS issues I would think.

i did not have/make a backup, but i think i got the IMEI straightened out.
and i'm not focused on the gps issues currently. i just need to make/receive calls.

i would like to reiterate that, at this time, my phone does the following:
  • has a fully functioning LTE connection any time that i would ordinarily have one
  • receives sms and mms with absolutely no delay
  • rarely if ever sends sms/mms at all
  • makes emergency (911) calls with no issue
  • will dial out for ordinary calls, but never actually connects or begins ringing

this makes me think it couldn't be hardware failure if the antenna still works for functions like sms reception and outgoing emergency calls.
is there anything else i could try?

Wh1t3Rose

i did not have/make a backup, but i think i got the IMEI straightened out.
and i'm not focused on the gps issues currently. i just need to make/receive calls.

i would like to reiterate that, at this time, my phone does the following:
  • has a fully functioning LTE connection any time that i would ordinarily have one
  • receives sms and mms with absolutely no delay
  • rarely if ever sends sms/mms at all
  • makes emergency (911) calls with no issue
  • will dial out for ordinary calls, but never actually connects or begins ringing
this makes me think it couldn't be hardware failure if the antenna still works for functions like sms reception and outgoing emergency calls.
is there anything else i could try?
What is your PRL an SV #