Screen feedbacks/issues

Search This thread

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
Dear all,

I just got my new tab after the old one had burned in, and become yellowish on the status bar. I had sold it and get a new one. My question is, is there anyways to avoid that issue after using two weeks? How to protect it? Thnank guys for your kind helping

Its all about luck of the draw when it comes to SAMOLED, some use 100% brightness at all times and never suffer any screen burn-in with in a year of usage while others already get a mark after days.

mailings

Aug 1, 2008
My replacement tablet arrived yesterday and it have exactly the same circles.

So I now have to decide if keep it with that "defect" on the screen or return it and get another brand/model.

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
On the same spot?

EDIT:

Id be interested if someone else who cares about these circles but dont have them on their screen post up a picture using 20s shutter speed, just to rule out that not all of the screens have this issue.

Last edited:

earthman5678

Oct 19, 2007

Just sent it back today. Still subject to the technician diagnosis result before they will say yes to replace. And it is not going to be a unit replacement but only the screen. They are going to tear my tab apart and replace the amoled. I told them I want mine return without any physical damage. They said I'll loss my screen protector... Okay I can live with that but never the less disappointed. The original galaxy s and tab build quality were so much better.

f1ux

Jan 2, 2011
I most definitely do not have the circles.

A 20 second exposure is not exactly a realistic test as your eyes will not see the same as that.

Even if you did that 'test' you need to make sure everyone uses the same image and same brightness in the same ambient light

secreetadm

Nov 15, 2010
Use this picture attached for testing a cup rings issue. Zoom in, minimum brightness level for max test.
My tab got it. Poor me :(
What should i do? Is a hardware or software trouble?

Attachments

• capture_08.jpg
    capture_08.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 144

earthman5678

Oct 19, 2007
Those who work in electronic engineering know that the first hardware version is most likely to be buggy. Just like the Galaxy S where it had GPS antenna issue in first version but fixed in second version. iPhone4 antenna gate is the same. They tried to avoid recall that will cost them allot and quietly fix all those problem in an engineering revision that layman will not notice.

joseph168

Sep 19, 2011
I don't think I am lucky enough, just using it 2 days now my screen getting burn on the status bar. So sad

Sent from my GT-P6800 using XDA Premium App

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
I most definitely do not have the circles.

A 20 second exposure is not exactly a realistic test as your eyes will not see the same as that.

Even if you did that 'test' you need to make sure everyone uses the same image and same brightness in the same ambient light

Well good for you that you dont see any on your screen, a 20s exposure may be realistic or not but I just want an objective result for anyone wanting to contribute. My Galaxy S2 had visible splotches which was seen with the naked eye but my camera is only able to capture it at 20s exposure, anyone with a better camera can probably just set 5seconds, the objective here is just to capture the screen glow which in turn also captures the circles if there are any screens w/o them.

Here is a reference test image, brightness does not matter but for the sake of uniformity set it at lowest possible take the picture in a totally dark room. Of course for anyone willing to contribute.
Image is #000000 created with GIMP2 and saved under PNG format.

I got this from my local samsung tech support

in our own opinion as technical support, the cirlces or suction cup like image should not appear. However, we cannot determine yet weather this is a technical defect. In line with this, rest assured that this matter will be raised up to our Head Quarters for thorough assessment.

If you have not purchased the product yet, we suggest you pospone your plan for purchase for the meantime. If you still wish to purchase this model, please have a thorough check on the item you will get from the store prior to purchase.

TBH, this circles are at the bottom of my concerns but its better to have a good screen when buying that to have the endless lottery replacement cycles. I really dont intend to use this as an ebook reader so I might let this slide if ever I get one like the picture posted a few pages back.

Attachments

• black.jpg
    black.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

randomgent

Feb 2, 2012
My replacement tablet arrived yesterday and it have exactly the same circles.

So I now have to decide if keep it with that "defect" on the screen or return it and get another brand/model.

Thats really sad to hear, i also sent my tablet for replacement/repair. Does the replacement tablet came in its original sealed box?

Edit: Here some of the images of the circles and screen burn in before i sent my tablet for repair/replacement.

Red square hightlights= circle mark, pink highlight= screen burn in

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh546/randomgent/IMG_3475.jpg
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh546/randomgent/IMG_3479.jpg
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh546/randomgent/IMG_3483.jpg - Its an app that check pixels for defect, cant remember the name for the app, you can notice the circles at the dark side of the gradient but it disappears as the brightness increases.
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh546/randomgent/IMG_3633.jpg - Screen burn in on the notification bar , you can even see the remains of the softkey buttons.
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh546/randomgent/IMG_3636.jpg
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh546/randomgent/IMG_3643.jpg
- Correctly exposed, this image was taken when the tablet is shutting off, after the samsung logo animation finish, the tablet will "glow" showing the imperfections.
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh546/randomgent/IMG_3644-1.jpg - Overexposed to show the imperfections of the screen, totally look like a mold infestation

Last edited:

tboy2000

Oct 21, 2006
London
Huawei Mate 20
Huawei Mate 20 X

wow that is terrible. I am ready to buy this tab but now I am not so sure.

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010

And I thought the suction cup rings that can be seen only in the dark are terrible but those images you posted above are beyond a horrid! I dont think anyone can classify those as ' acceptable '
Maybe they just returned the very same unit?
Can you attach a copy of the test images you used, thanks!

Same as mine. But that's not really bothering me though. I love this tab. What I have concerned is the screen burn in :-(

For real? Your not bothered by the visible cirlces at even the test color pattern that is 100% visible ? I envy your standards, no offense.

Last edited:

Coolman4now

Nov 17, 2010

:(

OMG, this is truly unacceptable, I thought you were exaggerating !
Where did you get your unit ??

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
Not pointing any fingers out but its an entirely different story when we post pictures of our issues, some will say we are just nitpicking but when they see the issue they also find it unacceptable as well.. Its always been like that with all of the screen issues I have.

EDIT:

Im wondering if there is a certain color shade that we can use to test the tablet out before buying that will not require a dark room test for us to check if there are suction cup marks.

Last edited:

Coolman4now

Nov 17, 2010
Sometimes you have to live with the minor issues but if its that obvious its unacceptable.

I bought a Xperia Mini two months ago, it has a scrolling issue in which the digitizer doesn't seem to catchup on the middle of a swype across the screen. It was a nightmare when you scroll over on a big list like the contacts. I took it back and no one could find it an issue !! replaced it with a new one and the new one came with the same stupid issue. last week I finally snapped and replaced it with Xperia Arc S, I couldn't take it anymore. No one of my family or my friends found it an issue, but It was killing me.

Long story short, I know what you're feeling. Everybody thinks you're a lunatic, you just know the issue.

palle04

Nov 9, 2011
Thats really sad to hear, i also sent my tablet for replacement/repair. Does the replacement tablet came in its original sealed box?

Edit: Here some of the images of the circles and screen burn in before i sent my tablet for repair/replacement.

Red square hightlights= circle mark, pink highlight= screen burn in

oh **** :( i couldn't stand this for a minute. Sorry to hear that and i hope you will get a decent replacement without this

randomgent

Feb 2, 2012
oh **** :( i couldn't stand this for a minute. Sorry to hear that and i hope you will get a decent replacement without this

haha thanks, its cool , hopefully they repair or replace the screen.

Sometimes you have to live with the minor issues but if its that obvious its unacceptable.

I bought a Xperia Mini two months ago, it has a scrolling issue in which the digitizer doesn't seem to catchup on the middle of a swype across the screen. It was a nightmare when you scroll over on a big list like the contacts. I took it back and no one could find it an issue !! replaced it with a new one and the new one came with the same stupid issue. last week I finally snapped and replaced it with Xperia Arc S, I couldn't take it anymore. No one of my family or my friends found it an issue, but It was killing me.

Long story short, I know what you're feeling. Everybody thinks you're a lunatic, you just know the issue.

Oh nah , i showed it to a friend of mine in a lecture room where it was quite dark , he totally can see it, im still sane xD.

Not pointing any fingers out but its an entirely different story when we post pictures of our issues, some will say we are just nitpicking but when they see the issue they also find it unacceptable as well.. Its always been like that with all of the screen issues I have.

EDIT:

Im wondering if there is a certain color shade that we can use to test the tablet out before buying that will not require a dark room test for us to check if there are suction cup marks.

Try to shut down the tablet , you can easily see the imperfections when its 'glowing' but it has to be in a dark room. Grey screen is the best way to check the circles but yet again it has to be in a dark room. Oh im not a picky person, when i first bought it ,i didnt check for any screen issues or defects but after 3 weeks of use i can noticed the screen burn in, circle marks and such.

:(

OMG, this is truly unacceptable, I thought you were exaggerating !
Where did you get your unit ??

JB Hifi in Australia,i bought it in january, when it first came out.

And I thought the suction cup rings that can be seen only in the dark are terrible but those images you posted above are beyond a horrid! I dont think anyone can classify those as ' acceptable '
Maybe they just returned the very same unit?
Can you attach a copy of the test images you used, thanks!

For real? Your not bothered by the visible cirlces at even the test color pattern that is 100% visible ? I envy your standards, no offense.

I used a pixel checker apps, sorry i cant remember the name of it. Yea im hoping for a replacement unit straight away when i head back to the store but they wouldnt give me a replacement unit because they cant see the circle marks under store lighting but they offer me to repair it which takes 6-8 weeks.Im kinda annoyed that they wouldnt replace it on the spot because the tablet was only 3 weeks old, but i cant blame them though. Hopefully they give me a replacement unit because im worried that a repaired unit would have scratches but then again it gonna take me 6-8 weeks to get my tablet back. I guess i ranked lowest in the screen lottery ;)

Same as mine. But that's not really bothering me though. I love this tab. What I have concerned is the screen burn in :-(

Been using my tablet on 0 brightness since day 1 and i still received screen burn-in. Im curious how bad is screen burn-in after two years of use.

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
Impossible to check for this quality issue at the store and might prove difficult to show at the service center unless they have a room where the lights can go off. A user from a local forum also reported that he has visible circles on his screen. I dont know how severe as he didnt post pictures but Im starting to believe all the tab7.7's suffer from this defect as we havent seen someone dispel our fears..

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    at my country doesn't have any information about exchange product.
    i've got newton ring, yellow tint (above samsung logo..on grey wallpaper), screenburn (actually the screen burn at status bar, it's block-long-darker color than other place)
    i already speak to the store where i buy it, but they say the must asking the principal (samsung it self) about exchange product, until now only replacement screen! and now i just wait the new information about replacement new product.
    mine almost 3months

@earlz
    how's your tab now? still problem with screen? nothing solution from Samsung about how to fix this problem?

You should goto a service center instead of a store. Same issue with the replacement.
    Exactly. Rings are only visible in complete darkness, on a dark background and at the lowest screen brightness. Many people do not notice them. If anyone thought that they do not exist, then by chainfire3d let them set their own night mode, such that the sliders on the color scale were in the middle or lower. If the artifacts do not come out, the screen is actually perfect, but it probably is not possible at AMOLED, just different screens are backlit, so you do not have such deep blacks and contrast, but so similar imperfections not visible. I have three AMOLED screens in a variety of devices and all it has.

Wysyłane z mojego GT-P6800 za pomocą Tapatalk 2
    This thread is very interesting and I appreciate that the tone hasn't become judgmental or degraded into attacks on peoples' expectations of technology.

I just purchased, exchanged and returned three 'new' iPads at Best Buy this week. The first one had at least two dozen dead pixels; the second had yellow banding and light leakage and the third had a pink/reddish tint to white screens. Unacceptable on any level and definitely makes me think Apple's QC has fallen off a cliff. Also doesn't give me a lot of confidence that the current sole supplier of the magical unicorn retina display - Samsung - has ironed out the 'first production batch' issues. Which frankly is ridiculous since Apple claims three million were sold during the launch weekend.

To EarlZ's remarks about the original Galaxy S - I had a Captivate (i897) and loved the screen. It was my first Super AMOLED device and I fell in love with the over-saturated colors and deep, rich black levels. When I replaced it with the SGSII (i777) I had to go through more than seven of them due to various screen issues including the grey banding problem mentioned frequently in this thread. I thought perhaps the '+' tech and non PenTile matrix was pushed to market and not properly tested, but lo and behold my eigth SGSII is and remains perfect and looks as such even in low light levels, and even on gray backgrounds. No IR or burn-in either.

So in the end I think it's just a crap shoot as to what you'll get in terms of screen quality. There's a 25-page-long thread on macrumors about various display issues with the new iPad. The resolution was outstanding - sure, but when I want a white screen, that doesn't mean pink or yellow-striped. I ended up buying a Galaxy Tab 8.9 from CL (after selling my Blackberry Playbook, which to its credit had a decent screen, but horrible black levels). The 8.9 uses, to the best of my knowledge, a PLS-TFT display, which is Samsung's version of IPS. Viewing angles are great but of course when I'm laying in bed looking at a letterboxed movie, there is some light bleed through the panel. No light leakage at the bezel, but still nowhere near as black as an AMOLED panel.

From the issues being reported here, I think I will keep the 8.9 for now and try the 7.7 in a couple months. My luck with technology has taken a nose-dive lately, and since I can't find any of them locally (in Los Angeles) that aren't littered with Verizon's horrible carrier branding, rolling the dice on an overseas purchase seems against the odds that I'll get one that meets my expectations.
    Like everyone else I have seen signs of burn in on my Tab and I also see the circle marks on the screen, they are very annoying and its not even in a totally dark room.. Like what was mentioned on this thread as long as you dont see any hard reflections on your face the circles are pretty visible on dark or dimmer shades of color. Im currently on my 3rd Tab7.7 due to these circle issues. I actually find this very serious despite I rarely use the tab in total darkness. Also font rendering is just horrible on the Tab7.7 as compared to the Galaxy Note or even on the Galaxy S2.

I dont know whats going on but SuperAmoled's quality control is just hitting a new low and luck should not be the major factor in getting a good screen, I honestly dont care what others say about their screens, I've seen a lot and they are problematic mostly uneven screen brightness which is not only limited to greys. Id like to see a photo of these so called perfect screens but they have their reasons not to post pictures.

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

This device probably isn't for you, yet.

I just got the 7.7 and have issues. The brightness is a bit brighter along one side, and I have the dark spot issue, this time in the form of dark circles, equally spaced (probably from the glass handling suction cups or something)

On the bright side, at least I don't have any bad pixels ;/

BTW a good app for testing is the simple "Advanced task manager" app, it has a dark screen near black and these blotches are visible with this even in a room with some light.

What is this advanced task manager app that your talking about, can you give us a market link? Maybe this makes it easier to do some testing at the store before getting the device.

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

Are you willing take pictures with specific settings and images?

Do not expect anyone to provide you with pictures of their screens unless it has issues, this has always been the case for those people with empty claims. They keep on spouting that screens with issues are at the extreme minority, if thats the case then inspecting 10 tab's should at least provide me with 6-7 good screens which is not the case.
    As EarlZ already said, that glow would be aceptable if where even across the screen
    I have attached a picture of how my screen looked like.