[Q] Bad WiFi Performance?

Search This thread

caveman999

Dec 21, 2010
Austin
I just got my S3 today and it has been great so far save for one issue. I seem to be experiencing really bad WiFi performance. I ran a speed test using the speedtest.net app on my iPhone 4 and got around 8 megabits per second down. However, when I ran the same test on my S3, I got about 1 megabit per second down consistently between numerous tests.

I don't have this issue while using LTE, which makes me think that it is a problem with the WiFi antenna. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Thanks

daraj

Jun 21, 2007
Florida, USA
I just got my S3 today and it has been great so far save for one issue. I seem to be experiencing really bad WiFi performance. I ran a speed test using the speedtest.net app on my iPhone 4 and got around 8 megabits per second down. However, when I ran the same test on my S3, I got about 1 megabit per second down consistently between numerous tests.

I don't have this issue while using LTE, which makes me think that it is a problem with the WiFi antenna. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Thanks

Try forcing the WIFI to 2.4GHZ and see if that improves things

stan.s

Aug 29, 2010
NYC metro
Mine runs perfect on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands through wifi.

Getting 30Mbits down and 22Mbits up.

Well, I have tested and yes you can get great speeds via the wifi, however something is quite wrong with it too, see my bug post in this subforum.

199926501.png

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

manny05

Feb 21, 2011
I have the same issue. It's not as fast as my s2 on WiFi.also sometimes it loses signal and the WiFi turns off by itself and then on. It's really weird

sent from my GALAXY SIII

caveman999

Dec 21, 2010
Austin
Thanks for all the suggestions. It might have just been a temporary thing because I wiped the cache on my phone using the default recovery, rebooted the phone a few times and now its fine.

I'll keep testing it to check if this issue comes back, but ad of now I'm just glad that it is working now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA

Liferules

Feb 7, 2011
I've had issues also with it "re-initiating wifi" after waking, even though set to keep wifi always... feel like this is truly a bug. Dropping wifi frequently...

navymac62

Jan 22, 2011
Atlanta
Same issue with wifi. I also notice a difference every time as well if I single handly hold the phone back case mid section or higher. Bars go from 4 to 2 or 1. Then back to 4 if I move my hand and palm below the buttons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

ormandj

Mar 30, 2012
San Antonio
That made a HUGE difference for me. From 5mbit/s to 50mbit/s downstream. THANK YOU.

I take that back, now I'm getting 10mbit/s down when my laptop does 50mbit/s down shortly after. Tried a few more times, same results. Something is not right with WiFi on this device. It lost 5gHz signal when i stepped outside, not more than 10m from the base station.

caveman999

Dec 21, 2010
Austin
I take that back, now I'm getting 10mbit/s down when my laptop does 50mbit/s down shortly after. Tried a few more times, same results. Something is not right with WiFi on this device. It lost 5gHz signal when i stepped outside, not more than 10m from the base station.

Yeah, I have continued to test the wifi on the phone and I am getting inconsistent performance. I hope this can be fixed in a software update and isn't a hardware defect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA

outz

Nov 16, 2004
Greenville, SC
we had a few galaxy nexus phones in our office that had horrible wifi performance/signal. i believe that device used the BCM4330 chipset.. which is odd, because my 4s has that same chip (i believe) and the wifi performance/range is great - can anyone confirm what the S3 uses?

Last edited:

ewingr

Dec 1, 2007
I posted this in another wifi complaint thread. I don't know if anyone has tried.

I had this problem on my Captivate. It was not very obvious, because the disconnects were so brief. I discovered while working with some Tasker WiFi settings.

The fix was to set my phone to use static addresses. You can use WiFi Static in order to achieve static addresses only where you want. I am using this on my S3, so I don't know if I would have problems without it.

I'd be curious to know if this helps anyone.

davidstech11

Jun 17, 2011
CA
Not at all. In fact, when I ran tests against my iPhone 4S my Galaxy S3 on WiFi got faster data speeds every time.

manny05

Feb 21, 2011
Wifi problem went away for me. Although I know for a fact it's not as fast as it should be.. I'm going to double check my router to make sure

sent from my GALAXY SIII

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WIFI disconnect fix!

A VERY long time lurker here. I saw quite a few people here having issues with their WiFi disconnecting all the time. I too had the same problem until I stumbled across a fix. I found this on another site, but either way it worked for me.

Open up your dial pad and enter *#0011#

Service Mode will open up.

Hit the menu button, select "WiFi"

You'll see "WiFi power save mode", the button under it will say "on" and the letters will be blue.

Turn this setting "off" and you should be good to go.

I take no credit for this fix, but thought I would share with those having issues.
    Make sure your phone is not on Power Save mode.
    In a related note, the wifi tethering performance is laggy, glitches and is terribly slow.

That's weird. I'm getting great performance using FoxFi. Its actually faster than my home internet, lol.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app
    I didn't realize I was having disconnects. I had posted earlier about using static addresses. I set up a Tasker task to say when connecting or disconnecting from WiFi, and I find that it is happening to me also, albeit not very often.

I was so jealous of yours working.:):eek: Again I noticed because of Unlock with Wifi
    http://benhirashima.com/unlockwithwifi/ which is a great app that I have been using for the last couple of years. I had to change a timeout setting to keep the phone unlocked longer than normal, when it detects that I'm not connected.

Where are these settings?

Settings /wifi/Advanced /wifi frequency