Hipstreet TITAN HS-7DTB4-4GB Tablet - Proper Rooting, Market etc.

Search This thread

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
Hi all,

I picked up a cute little tablet for my young kids to use on trips in the car from my local Walmart called the Hipstreet Titan HS-7DTB4-4GB. After poking around the OS, i found out it was rooted but not properly and you couldn't even run the android market on it to unlock its' true potential. Since I found out that only branded (Samsung, Sony Acer etc) Android tablets have access to the marketplace, i got verrrrry curious as to how far i could push this little piece of technology to...

After some exhaustive searching on the 'Net, this is what i have come up with:

SPECS:
7" Capacitive touch screen @ 800x480
Android 4.0.4 OS
4GB built in capacity - expandable to 32 GB with Micro SD card (not included)
1.2 GHZ CPU single core A8 Cortex CPU
512 MB DDR2 RAM
Rechargable 2600 mah lithium polymer battery built-in
High speed direct micro USB 2.0 interface
WIFI 802.11 b/g/n
Built in speaker
Built-in front facing 300k camera
Multiple language format

After downloading Tasselhof's Root, Market utility HERE i was fully rooted and ready to go.

****UPDATE 08/26/2012*****
PROGRESS!!! After rooting and running the market fix with the above utility, i rebooted the unit and ran the android market which i then was able to download and install an app successfully WITHOUT A FC!!!
This problem is a major headache for tablet owners who have a partial root. Try to get an app to install from the market/play store and you would end up with an FC every time!! Not anymore!!!

I will add to this as i find out more... stay tuned and feel free to update me via PM if you find out more than i have here!

Last edited:

iToasterman

May 22, 2011
Hi all,

I picked up a cute little tablet for my young kids to use on trips in the car from my local Walmart called the Hipstreet Titan HS-7DTB4-4GB. After poking around the OS, i found out it was rooted but not properly and you couldn't even run the android market on it to unlock its' true potential. Since I found out that only branded (Samsung, Sony Acer etc) Android tablets have access to the marketplace, i got verrrrry curious as to how far i could push this little piece of technology to...

SPECS:
Android 4.0.4 OS
512 MB DDR2 RAM
WIFI 802.11 b/g/n
Built in speaker
Multiple language format

After downloading Tasselhof's Root, Market utility HERE i was fully rooted and ready to go.

PROGRESS!!! After rooting and running the market fix with the above utility, i rebooted the unit and ran the android market which i then was able to download and install an app successfully WITHOUT A FC!!!
This problem is a major headache for tablet owners who have a partial root. Try to get an app to install from the market/play store and you would end up with an FC every time!! Not anymore!!!

I will add to this as i find out more... stay tuned and feel free to update me via PM if you find out more than i have here!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=30772795#post30772795

Add me on skype: iToasterman

I'm breaking ground in these tablets with the Flare as a starter. Play is the big problem but I might right auto root scripts for these :3

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=30772795#post30772795

Add me on skype: iToasterman

I'm breaking ground in these tablets with the Flare as a starter. Play is the big problem but I might right auto root scripts for these :3

i'm a little confused, you are manually installing su, superuser.apk and busybox only. no rooting taking place or market fixes...

Open a ADB shell and you should see a '#' If you don't, you're screwed. if you do, just type these commands!

this doesn't invoke a sense of confidence my friend.... the utility i link to in my post actually roots the unit completely, and fixes the market issue 100% so we can help those whom you term as "screwed" not be "screwed". right?

Last edited:

iToasterman

May 22, 2011
i'm a little confused, you are manually installing su, superuser.apk and busybox only. no rooting taking place or market fixes...

this doesn't invoke a sense of confidence my friend.... the utility i link to in my post actually roots the unit completely, and fixes the market issue 100% so we can help those whom you term as "screwed" not be "screwed". right?

Actually my method gives you root but I'm revising it for safety reasons as I managed to brick my tab and get a new one :)

The manual install still works its not meant to do google market

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
The below rant requests a pardon from the MOD.. being a senior member i am flabbergasted at some members that just walk in and start cross-posting and making a mess of things in the OP.

Now for the rant:

Actually my method gives you root but I'm revising it for safety reasons as I managed to brick my tab and get a new one :)

The manual install still works its not meant to do google market

I am now further confused... your method DOES NOT invoke root status at all!! You are simply installing the binaries!!! you even plainly state this:
Open a ADB shell and you should see a '#' If you don't, you're screwed. if you do, just type these commands!

you DO NOT get root by simply installing the SU and superuser.apk binaries! if the user does not get a root prompt from the get-go, you leave the user hanging with "YOU'RE SCREWED" and that is the end of it! you are making an assumption that the unit has root access and just doing what others have posted by installing the binaries, not actually rooting or fixing the market issues as i have stated in my OP.

my linked utility from Tasselhof invokes/repairs root onto the HIPSTREET unit since up until now this tablet has had little exposure on XDA and has not been able to be rooted or have any utilities for it. I posted the utility because i have (after exhaustive experimentation and recoveries) found a utility that WORKS with this model.

We are here to HELP people out of these situations, you are just making it worse!! You aren't even breaking ground, you're burying users in false information!!

I'm revising it for safety reasons as I managed to brick my tab and get a new one :)

YOU EVEN BRICKED YOUR OWN UNIT USING YOUR METHOD WITHOUT A WAY OUT OF IT!!! OMG! Stop posting in this thread!

Last edited:

w98seeng

Oct 16, 2009
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Hi all,

I picked up a cute little tablet for my young kids to use on trips in the car from my local Walmart called the Hipstreet Titan HS-7DTB4-4GB.

Hey repherb, how is the tablet? I have a Pandigital Novel but oh boy is it a piece of sh*t. it is so slow, the screen has to be pressed very hard to get it to move and the Wi-Fi, works, but only about 25% of the time.

I installed kewlguy's ROM he made and I have the App Store and more features, but the Wi-Fi still sucks.

I was wondering if the Hipstreet Titan is any good. Google Play isn't that important as I can apps off of Appbrain, of get them off my S3.

How is the screen for sensitivity? Does the Wi-Fi work well? My father goes to Dialysis 3 times a week (4 hours each time) and I want to give him the tablet so he can play his online checkers and freecell while he is there. Does it have Flash?

Many thanks for the info,
Ian

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
Hey repherb, how is the tablet? I have a Pandigital Novel but oh boy is it a piece of sh*t. it is so slow, the screen has to be pressed very hard to get it to move and the Wi-Fi, works, but only about 25% of the time.

I installed kewlguy's ROM he made and I have the App Store and more features, but the Wi-Fi still sucks.

I was wondering if the Hipstreet Titan is any good. Google Play isn't that important as I can apps off of Appbrain, of get them off my S3.

How is the screen for sensitivity? Does the Wi-Fi work well? My father goes to Dialysis 3 times a week (4 hours each time) and I want to give him the tablet so he can play his online checkers and freecell while he is there. Does it have Flash?

Ian

The 4GB Titan tablet from Hipstreet works very well with the stock ICS ROM, as long as you run Tasselhof's full root. once that is done the OS really opens up. The 4GB on board allows for me to store some movies and music for the kids without the need for a microSD card.

The screen is multipoint-touch so the kids enjoy it for google earth etc. and responds to light touches. the kids do not need to be forceful.

The WiFi is good, rarely losing signal outside the house on the front lawn at about 40 feet from the router through the house structure to outside.

Flash can be installed on this unit, best to do it once you fully root from the utility. My 8-year old daughter plays online barbie and nick jr. games on the websites without a problem.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Reveers

w98seeng

Oct 16, 2009
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
The 4GB Titan tablet from Hipstreet works very well with the stock ICS ROM, as long as you run Tasselhof's full root. once that is done the OS really opens up. The 4GB on board allows for me to store some movies and music for the kids without the need for a microSD card.

The screen is multipoint-touch so the kids enjoy it for google earth etc. and responds to light touches. the kids do not need to be forceful.

The WiFi is good, rarely losing signal outside the house on the front lawn at about 40 feet from the router through the house structure to outside.

Flash can be installed on this unit, best to do it once you fully root from the utility. My 8-year old daughter plays online barbie and nick jr. games on the websites without a problem.

Hope this helps!

Many thanks for the info.

Ian

celphtitledooz

Jul 16, 2011
i tried using this method but after it said it was finished it rebooted and now it i stuck on the android logo and will not boot up wondering what i can do to resolve this i tried running again and resetting but nothing happened.

repherb

Aug 7, 2008
Milky Way
can you post up your build.prop please...

here ya go!

# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=IML74K
ro.build.display.id=hs_7dtb4-eng 4.0.3 IML74K 20120505 test-keys
ro.build.version.incremental=20120505
ro.build.version.sdk=15
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=4.0.3
ro.build.date=2012å¹´ 05月 05æ—¥ 星期å…* 11:12:13 CST
ro.build.date.utc=1336187533
ro.build.type=eng
ro.build.user=ksd
ro.build.host=ksd-desktop
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.product.model=HS-7DTB4
ro.product.brand=softwinners
ro.product.name=hs_7dtb4
ro.product.device=hs-7dtb4
ro.product.board=hs
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=unknown
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=exDroid
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=hs-7dtb4
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=hs_7dtb4-eng 4.0.3 IML74K 20120505 test-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=softwinners/hs_7dtb4/hs-7dtb4:4.0.3/IML74K/20120505:eng/test-keys
ro.build.characteristics=tablet
# end build properties

#
# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
ro.com.android.dateformat=MM-dd-yyyy
ro.config.ringtone=Ring_Synth_04.ogg
ro.config.notification_sound=pixiedust.ogg
ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg
dalvik.vm.heapsize=48m
ro.kernel.android.checkjni=0
persist.sys.timezone=America/New_York
persist.sys.language=en
persist.sys.country=CA
wifi.interface=wlan0
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=15
debug.egl.hw=1
ro.opengles.version=131072
persist.sys.strictmode.visual=0
persist.sys.strictmode.disable=1
hwui.render_dirty_regions=false
persist.sys.usb.config=mass_storage,adb
ro.sf.lcd_density=120
ro.product.firmware=V1.2_20120505
ro.setupwizard.mode=OPTIONAL
net.bt.name=Android
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

Nemo1984

Aug 2, 2012
Québec
It worked but the home button doesn't work anymore. Thanks anyway, I will live without it.

Sent from my LG-P500 using xda premium

Last edited:

duotei

Aug 11, 2010
build.prop

Hey, I used this and it worked great, with one exception... I didn't back anything up, and let the tool replace the build.prop file, now things are very very broken. Does anyone have an original build.prop that they backed up? Or failing that, a known working one that I could try?

metalchef

Jan 22, 2009
Fredericton
www.metalchef.com
Hey, I used this and it worked great, with one exception... I didn't back anything up, and let the tool replace the build.prop file, now things are very very broken. Does anyone have an original build.prop that they backed up? Or failing that, a known working one that I could try?

build.prop from unmodified HS-7DTB4. :cool:

Attachments

• build.prop.gz
    962 bytes · Views: 829
Last edited:

Goldenmeadow

Oct 13, 2011
Southwestern Ontario
Will it work for Hipstreet Nova 4?

Hi repherb,

Thanks for this great info.

And I have question:
I'm getting Hip street Nova 4, that is basically Titan but with HDMI port. Do you think this method of rooting would work?
I'm not guru, rather advanced user so would really appreciate some help.

Thanks!

Hi all,

SPECS:
Android 4.0.4 OS
512 MB DDR2 RAM
WIFI 802.11 b/g/n
Built in speaker
Multiple language format

Last edited:

Mes111

Jun 28, 2012
request Step by Step instructions

Hello.If it possible can somebody put a step by step Rooting and Enablenig Google Play market useing Tasselhof script. The instructions there are for another tablet and my understanding that some steps are not needed or even be harmfull for Titan tablet.I've used Newtech utility for one of my Titan tablets, and it worked with the exception of Calendar synch issues and i think it's really reduced camera resolution/quality. I just got another Titan tablet and would like to tryTasSelhof script. Thank you in advance.
Also can somebody post alink to an original /clean Hipstreet Titan firmware/image backup?Just incase somehting goes wrong. I couldn't find information on how to create full system back up.
Thank you!!!!

Last edited:

Greywolf_Ghost

Nov 11, 2009
Guelph
www.facebook.com
Hi all,

SPECS:
Android 4.0.4 OS
512 MB DDR2 RAM
WIFI 802.11 b/g/n
Built in speaker
Multiple language format

Works on Hipstreet Flare 9DTB4-8GB 9" Tablet however I think I messed myself up. Took 1 extra step too much.

I managed to root, but now I have lost my bottom taskbar, and thus the ability to see multi task, back, volume up and down.

On Boot up I get "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped"

I made the huge mistake and backed up nothing from the start, so apart from my major sin, how can I get my task bar back?

Need a clear step by step as this is my first android.

Oh I can still surf, view app store... but since the task bar went I can't install from the store ( error ), but I can with an apk download from web.

Any advice would be welcome.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

SPECS:
    Android 4.0.4 OS
    512 MB DDR2 RAM
    WIFI 802.11 b/g/n
    Built in speaker
    Multiple language format

Ian

Hope this helps!
    Many thanks for the info.

Ian

Ian,

there's a little button on the bottom left marked THANKS... would you be kind enough to hit it please?

thanks in advance! :)

Thanks, fixed all up!