[Q]Can rooting and flashing stuff mess up the speaker on a tablet?

Search This thread

pachi72

Nov 18, 2008
Miami
Everything was fine...all of the sudden as soon as I rooted the 701t the speaker just went to hell. It crackels and very distorted. I mean WTF, it was working fine before all the rooting and flashing..Now I am screwed of the warranty.

schoeni_tho

Jul 26, 2008
Everything was fine...all of the sudden as soon as I rooted the 701t the speaker just went to hell. It crackels and very distorted. I mean WTF, it was working fine before all the rooting and flashing..Now I am screwed of the warranty.

the same here, even after a clean install, i tried the cromi-x (odexed&deodexed), the cromi-kk and the latest cm- snapshot version ,same issues,the Sound over earphones is perfect but the tabletspeaker Sound is terrible! can software like viper4android broke the Hardware speaker?
Tanks vor help in advance!

Sent from my K00C using XDA Premium HD app

pachi72

Nov 18, 2008
Miami
the same here, even after a clean install, i tried the cromi-x (odexed&deodexed), the cromi-kk and the latest cm- snapshot version ,same issues,the Sound over earphones is perfect but the tabletspeaker Sound is terrible! can software like viper4android broke the Hardware speaker?

Damn you to? Wow.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

pachi72

Nov 18, 2008
Miami

Maybe it can be fixed with a kernel?

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
If it is over multiple roms it's more like to be a hardware issue. Other wise everyone would have the problem.

Simply rooting cannot affect the speaker - rooting installs two files and a script - that is it.

What have you flashed on top?

viper4android is a sound enhancer so yes flashing that will most likely break the speaker if it is not compatible with the device ....

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

I followed his instructions and I even flash everything back to stock and uprooted.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2516215

Still having issues.

By the way that is a way out dated way of rooting and has pushed you back to an old 4.2.2 kernel that you are now running on a 4.3 bootloader and android rom base so YES in your case that MAY have caused issues.

LOOK AT THIS:

Prerequisites: drivers, adb and fastboot (this), firmware >= 10.14.1.47, asus unlock app

What bootloader are you on?

Update your device to that latest stock from the asus website or flash CROMi-X to see if that recovers it.

pachi72

Nov 18, 2008
Miami
If it is over multiple roms it's more like to be a hardware issue. Other wise everyone would have the problem.

Simply rooting cannot affect the speaker - rooting installs two files and a script - that is it.

What have you flashed on top?

viper4android is a sound enhancer so yes flashing that will most likely break the speaker if it is not compatible with the device ....

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

By the way that is a way out dated way of rooting and has pushed you back to an old 4.2.2 kernel that you are now running on a 4.3 bootloader and android rom base so YES in your case that MAY have caused issues.

LOOK AT THIS:

Prerequisites: drivers, adb and fastboot (this), firmware >= 10.14.1.47, asus unlock app

What bootloader are you on?

Update your device to that latest stock from the asus website or flash CROMi-X to see if that recovers it.

I flash Cromi-x and nothing. Also did a unroot back to stock and still have problems.

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
10.26.1.7-20131108

There's your problem (or the most likely cause) Incompatible bootloader.

Now you have the hard task of upgrading to 10.26.1.18.

OK. I got it working! I had to install the 4.3*V10.26.1.18*bootloader from an externally mounted sdcard.

Here's a "cookbook" of all the steps I performed ...

1. Unpack the device and fully charge it.

2. Meanwhile, go to the ASUS TF701T download site (http://www.asus.com/Tablets_Mobile/A...pport_Download).

3. Select*Android*as the OS.

4. Select*Firmware.

5. Download this to my desktop computer. It's the TF701T unlock utility:*http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...01T_Unlock.rar

6. Unrar the unlock utility file (TF701T_Unlock.rar). I got this file*0820-0954_SIGNED_UnLock_for_TF701_repart.apk

7. Download this to my desktop computer. It's the 4.3 upgrade with the V10.26.1.18 bootloader:*http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...8_SDupdate.zip

8. Unzip the 4.3 upgrade file (WW_10_26_1_18_SDupdate.zip). This file was extracted:*T4_SDUPDATE.zip.

9. Copy*T4_SUPDATE.zip*to an empty sdcard.

10. After the TF701T is fully charged, boot it up.

11. Do the most minimal setup possible, without even connecting to my Google account.

12. Power down the TF701T.

13. Insert the sdcard with*T4_SDUPDATE.zip*into the TF701T's sdcard slot.

14. Hold down the*Volume Down*and*Power*buttons on the TF701T to boot into bootloader mode.

15. Using the*Volume Down*key, make sure that "RCK" is flashing on the screen.

16. Press the*Volume Up*key.

17. The screen will go blank for a few seconds, and then the Android icon will show up with the dodecahedron moving as the software installs.

18. After a few minutes, the device will reboot back into the OS.

19. Message boxes will show up, indicating that apps are getting optimized and that the OS is being upgraded.

20. After a few minutes, the system reboot will be completed and the system will be up.

21. Do the most minimal setup possible, and do not connect to a Google account.

22. Go into*Settings -> About -> Software Information.

23. Click again and again on the*Build Number*section until a toast pops up, saying, "You are a developer!".

24. Go into*Settings -> Developer options*and select USB debugging. I also unchecked*Verify apps over USB, although that might not actually be necessary.

25. Go into*Settings -> Security*and enable*Unknown sources.

26. Connect the USB cable from the desktop computer to the TF701T.

27. Received this notification:*Connected as a media device.

28. On the desktop computer, issue this command:*adb push 0820-0954_SIGNED_UnLock_for_TF701_repart.apk /sdcard/

29. Using*File Manager*on the TF701T, navigate to /sdcard/

30. Select*0820-0954_SIGNED_UnLock_for_TF701_repart.apk

31. Select*Install, then*Open, and then answer "Yes" to all prompts.

32. Device will reboot

33. During reboot, messages will appear showing that the device is unlocking, and the "Device is unlocked" message appears on the upper left of the screen.

34. After that, device will reboot again. At the upper left of the screen, the "Device is unlocked" message appears during the boot sequence.

35. When the TF701T reboot completes, redo the mimimal setup.

36. Power down.

37. Remove the externally mounted sdcard.

38. Reboot.

39. Go into*Settings -> About -> Software Information.

40. Click again and again on the*Build Number*section until a toast pops up, saying, "You are a developer!".

41. Go into*Settings -> Developer options*and select*USB debugging. I also unchecked*Verify apps over USB, although that might not actually be necessary.

42. Connect the USB cable from desktop computer to the TF701T.

43. This notification popped up:*Connected as a media device.

44. On the TF701T, confirm that debugging can be performed from the connected device.

45. Issue this command on the desktop computer:*adb reboot bootloader

46. Now follow the instructions in the first post of this thread to install the recovery and the cm-11 ROM:*http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2621028

Reactions: pelago

pachi72

Nov 18, 2008
Miami
Is gives me an error when I go into RCK and it tries to flash the file. Is there a way to adb force the tablet to update? I called Asus for an rma and they are gonna charge me probably a lot to fix the tablet.

Last edited:

schoeni_tho

Jul 26, 2008
Damn you to? Wow.

hi there,
yes me too.......but I´m sure it´s my fault, sdbags is wrigtht with "Simply rooting cannot affect the speaker - rooting installs two files and a script - that is it. " , I think I played too much with soundenhancers like->viper4android, fx music and on cm11 the dsp manager!!! It escaped my notice in wich configuration at last run correctly. I tried everything , I even formated every partition in the recovery mode!How ever IT´S MY FAULT , on my mobile phones all enhancers working perfect!!!Sound from my HTC ONE M7 +Viper4Android is awesome ......now I`ve learned that a "phone " is not a "tab"

p.s : anybody some knowledge in changing the hardware speaker on a tab???

:eek:

jojo665

Nov 9, 2010
same for me.

i used towerroot v1 to rooted my tf701f (still locked). and only have installed titanium backup on it -- then the audio is all distorted.

i have tried full wipe (using setting menu), and has since upgraded to 4.4.2 -- still no dice. My bootloader version is "us-epad-11.4.1.17-20140711".

Since my bootloader is still locked, is there a way i can do a full stock flash ? (I tried to download update/flash from asus site (US_epaduser_10_26_1_18_UpdateLauncher.zip), but they do not work)

thanks

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
same for me.

i used towerroot v1 to rooted my tf701f (still locked). and only have installed titanium backup on it -- then the audio is all distorted.

i have tried full wipe (using setting menu), and has since upgraded to 4.4.2 -- still no dice. My bootloader version is "us-epad-11.4.1.17-20140711".

Since my bootloader is still locked, is there a way i can do a full stock flash ? (I tried to download update/flash from asus site (US_epaduser_10_26_1_18_UpdateLauncher.zip), but they do not work)

thanks
Rooting is not going to have any effect on the speaker. That's most likely a hardware problem.

You are on 4.4.2 and Asus has not posted that firmware on their website yet. The file you downloaded is JB 4.3. If you want to flash it, you have to unzip it once, resulting in another zip. It's that xxxx...user.zip you need to copy to the root of your SD. But that would be a downgrade at this point. Make sure you got the correct SKU or it won't work.

Reactions: socalrocker

socalrocker

Mar 15, 2009
Orange County Calif
are there any updated instructions with working links for this issue? a little late to the game rooting my tf701 and im also having the issue with the speaker sounding like its totally blown out

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
are there any updated instructions with working links for this issue? a little late to the game rooting my tf701 and im also having the issue with the speaker sounding like its totally blown out

Mine blew a few months ago. Cheap hardware... Not worth it to repair IMO as long as Bluetooth works.

Reg. update /rooting: What exactly do you want to accomplish?
The best way still is:
Unlock the bootloader
Fastboot flash custom recovery
Flash SuperSU if all you want is rooted stock.
Or flash a custom rom

Reactions: socalrocker

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    10.26.1.7-20131108

There's your problem (or the most likely cause) Incompatible bootloader.

Now you have the hard task of upgrading to 10.26.1.18.

OK. I got it working! I had to install the 4.3*V10.26.1.18*bootloader from an externally mounted sdcard.

Here's a "cookbook" of all the steps I performed ...

1. Unpack the device and fully charge it.

2. Meanwhile, go to the ASUS TF701T download site (http://www.asus.com/Tablets_Mobile/A...pport_Download).

3. Select*Android*as the OS.

4. Select*Firmware.

5. Download this to my desktop computer. It's the TF701T unlock utility:*http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...01T_Unlock.rar

6. Unrar the unlock utility file (TF701T_Unlock.rar). I got this file*0820-0954_SIGNED_UnLock_for_TF701_repart.apk

7. Download this to my desktop computer. It's the 4.3 upgrade with the V10.26.1.18 bootloader:*http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...8_SDupdate.zip

8. Unzip the 4.3 upgrade file (WW_10_26_1_18_SDupdate.zip). This file was extracted:*T4_SDUPDATE.zip.

9. Copy*T4_SUPDATE.zip*to an empty sdcard.

10. After the TF701T is fully charged, boot it up.

11. Do the most minimal setup possible, without even connecting to my Google account.

12. Power down the TF701T.

13. Insert the sdcard with*T4_SDUPDATE.zip*into the TF701T's sdcard slot.

14. Hold down the*Volume Down*and*Power*buttons on the TF701T to boot into bootloader mode.

15. Using the*Volume Down*key, make sure that "RCK" is flashing on the screen.

16. Press the*Volume Up*key.

17. The screen will go blank for a few seconds, and then the Android icon will show up with the dodecahedron moving as the software installs.

18. After a few minutes, the device will reboot back into the OS.

19. Message boxes will show up, indicating that apps are getting optimized and that the OS is being upgraded.

20. After a few minutes, the system reboot will be completed and the system will be up.

21. Do the most minimal setup possible, and do not connect to a Google account.

22. Go into*Settings -> About -> Software Information.

23. Click again and again on the*Build Number*section until a toast pops up, saying, "You are a developer!".

24. Go into*Settings -> Developer options*and select USB debugging. I also unchecked*Verify apps over USB, although that might not actually be necessary.

25. Go into*Settings -> Security*and enable*Unknown sources.

26. Connect the USB cable from the desktop computer to the TF701T.

27. Received this notification:*Connected as a media device.

28. On the desktop computer, issue this command:*adb push 0820-0954_SIGNED_UnLock_for_TF701_repart.apk /sdcard/

29. Using*File Manager*on the TF701T, navigate to /sdcard/

30. Select*0820-0954_SIGNED_UnLock_for_TF701_repart.apk

31. Select*Install, then*Open, and then answer "Yes" to all prompts.

32. Device will reboot

33. During reboot, messages will appear showing that the device is unlocking, and the "Device is unlocked" message appears on the upper left of the screen.

34. After that, device will reboot again. At the upper left of the screen, the "Device is unlocked" message appears during the boot sequence.

35. When the TF701T reboot completes, redo the mimimal setup.

36. Power down.

37. Remove the externally mounted sdcard.

38. Reboot.

39. Go into*Settings -> About -> Software Information.

40. Click again and again on the*Build Number*section until a toast pops up, saying, "You are a developer!".

41. Go into*Settings -> Developer options*and select*USB debugging. I also unchecked*Verify apps over USB, although that might not actually be necessary.

42. Connect the USB cable from desktop computer to the TF701T.

43. This notification popped up:*Connected as a media device.

44. On the TF701T, confirm that debugging can be performed from the connected device.

45. Issue this command on the desktop computer:*adb reboot bootloader

46. Now follow the instructions in the first post of this thread to install the recovery and the cm-11 ROM:*http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2621028
    same for me.

thanks
    Rooting is not going to have any effect on the speaker. That's most likely a hardware problem.

You are on 4.4.2 and Asus has not posted that firmware on their website yet. The file you downloaded is JB 4.3. If you want to flash it, you have to unzip it once, resulting in another zip. It's that xxxx...user.zip you need to copy to the root of your SD. But that would be a downgrade at this point. Make sure you got the correct SKU or it won't work.

Mine blew a few months ago. Cheap hardware... Not worth it to repair IMO as long as Bluetooth works.

Reg. update /rooting: What exactly do you want to accomplish?
    The best way still is:
    Unlock the bootloader
    Fastboot flash custom recovery
    Flash SuperSU if all you want is rooted stock.
    Or flash a custom rom