RockPlayer: First public beta available

Search This thread

opensky2

Nov 13, 2008
We released first public beta of RockPlayer just several minutes ago.

RockPlayer can play most kinds of video files including avi, mkv, rmvb, flv, mp4, 3gp, wmv, mov, asf, divx, xvid, and h264 formats. This version supports android versions from 1.6 to 2.2. It requires an armv6 or armv7 CPU with vfp instruction set. Sorry G1/Magic/Hero users, your phone's CPU didn't have vfp.

This forum prevented me from posting external links. So please replace # with dot in following links:

Download link: http://groups.google.com/hk/group/rockplayer/files
Official forum: http://www.diffthink.com/forum/

Please also note this is a beta version and would expire on July 15.

Thanks for support.

Last edited by a moderator:

jpayne97

Feb 16, 2006
Erlanger, KY
When I try to adjust the volume it does it for the ringer and not the video MOST the time, but not all the time. I usually have to hit play and pause a bunch and then do the volume to adjust the media volume. Using the motorola droid.

seanhassars

Feb 2, 2009
When I try to adjust the volume it does it for the ringer and not the video MOST the time, but not all the time. I usually have to hit play and pause a bunch and then do the volume to adjust the media volume. Using the motorola droid.
You can only adjust media volume while media is playing. If it's paused there's no volume to adjust.

Loving the beta so far.

thrik

Jun 10, 2010
Does anyone else have issues with playing certain files?

When I try to play MKV files on my N1 (running kang-o-rama 0.8 final) it will not play properly at all. Also, when I try to play FLV files I just get audio, no video.

And eventually I would like to see subtitle support. Yeah I know I'm picky, but I like to watch anime on my phone :)

beta_boy

Jul 2, 2007
opensky2... Congrats on the release. Have you licensed the decoders you are distributing? ie; MP3, AAC, ASP, AVC, etc. I don't see you listed as a licensee on the MPEGLA website for either AVC or ASP. Also... What about links to the FFmpeg source code that you are using?

mingoid

Oct 30, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
:D The July 15 expiration can be removed! :D It is not so hard.
Now i patched it for myself. :)

This product is being provided in good faith as a beta test after the original closed beta was leaked. It looks like it's a great app and a first for android - it's obviously taken time and effort to develop and I'm sure most here would be prepared to pay for the final product.

Please don't put other developers off making the effort to bring cool things to android by abusing the trust the developers are giving us here.

mbk.2k3

Jul 1, 2008
folks..i can't seem to open any files.

tried 4 different avi's. all of them bring the app back to the folder selection screen.

running on cyanogen 5.0.8 android 2.2 on my HTC magic.

i tried uninstalling + reinstalling the player twice as well.

any suggestions?

animoo

Nov 14, 2009
Kecskemét
folks..i can't seem to open any files.

tried 4 different avi's. all of them bring the app back to the folder selection screen.

running on cyanogen 5.0.8 android 2.2 on my HTC magic.

i tried uninstalling + reinstalling the player twice as well.

any suggestions?

It won't work on Magic, as it doesn't have any of the required cpus.

P

pongothemagnificent

Downloaded a house episode, full fps on an unedited avi 320mb video, full screen options dosnt distore screen like the demo version.

bearmacerick

Jun 7, 2010
great! this is exactly what i've been looking for. im definitely willing to pay.

two areas for potential improvement that i've noticed...
1. i cant access the internal memory on my htc incredible. only sd card.
2. i cant set this as the default video player on my phone. ...this would allow a workaround of #1 by using astro file manager to access my files and open them from there.

the 2nd one is more important to me, personally. i would be accessing my videos on my home server and opening them via astro to play over my network.

other than that, this is awesome!