Can the 8Gb MicroDrive by Hitachi be "upgraded" ?

Search This thread

lbarouf

Apr 16, 2007
Has anyone try or does anyone know why it could or could not be done? Biggest MicroSD/TransFlash is 2Gb or 4Gb?

LTxda

Jan 1, 2005
USA
possibly yes...

Has anyone try or does anyone know why it could or could not be done? Biggest MicroSD/TransFlash is 2Gb or 4Gb?

I would guess that if the power consumption and size are the same for a larger drive then the answer would be yes. Check the specifications of the installed drive and see if any larger drives exist with the same power consuption and size....let us know what you find...i'm interested. Also, PocketPCTechs are known for updates of this sort. You might consider e-mailing them and asking if they plan on having a HD upgrade for the Athena and letting us know what they say.

I've only found a 4gig SDHC card. If you find something larger let us know this also.

thnx

wu5262

Mar 17, 2006
London
I would guess that if the power consumption and size are the same for a larger drive then the answer would be yes. Check the specifications of the installed drive and see if any larger drives exist with the same power consuption and size....let us know what you find...i'm interested. Also, PocketPCTechs are known for updates of this sort. You might consider e-mailing them and asking if they plan on having a HD upgrade for the Athena and letting us know what they say.

I've only found a 4gig SDHC card. If you find something larger let us know this also.

thnx

i can confirm 4G SDHC works fine on Athena

lbarouf

Apr 16, 2007
What I settled for trying.

I found a 16Gb CompactFlash to replace the MicroDrive. Pricey... very pricey, but want to try that. Power comsumption is slighly lower, so I might see improvement. I will try to mirror the "drives" before inserting the CompactFlash. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Access time is much faster also. Can't wait to try to run a movie on a plasma. Finally an alternative to renting movies in hotels! For those interrested in the drive: http://www.flash-memory-store.com/16gb-compact-flash.html The Qmemory drive seems the most interresting one. 24Mb/s access... not even sure the south bridge on this device can access the drive that fast.

LTxda

Jan 1, 2005
USA
I found a 16Gb CompactFlash to replace the MicroDrive. Pricey... very pricey, but want to try that. Power comsumption is slighly lower, so I might see improvement. I will try to mirror the "drives" before inserting the CompactFlash. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Access time is much faster also. Can't wait to try to run a movie on a plasma. Finally an alternative to renting movies in hotels! For those interrested in the drive: http://www.flash-memory-store.com/16gb-compact-flash.html The Qmemory drive seems the most interresting one. 24Mb/s access... not even sure the south bridge on this device can access the drive that fast.

If this works for you please let me know. I'll buy one also and replace mine. Are you sure the 8GB drive in the Athena is Compact Flash? I have no clue so just asking.

bogusiano

Nov 15, 2005
HOLD IT!

Guys, please hold it, those MicroDrives won't fit on the Athena, Athena's MicroDrive is slightly different in dimensions. :( Just take a look at Asukal's Blog (Naked Athena):

http://asukal.net/blog/?p=299

Athedis%20(9).jpg

Good luck finding the one we need, I am happy now with the one provided!​

LTxda

Jan 1, 2005
USA
Guys, please hold it, those MicroDrives won't fit on the Athena, Athena's MicroDrive is slightly different in dimensions. :( Just take a look at Asukal's Blog (Naked Athena):

http://asukal.net/blog/?p=299

Athedis%20(9).jpg

Good luck finding the one we need, I am happy now with the one provided!​

Thanks for the info. I didn't think the Athena used Compact Flash. I'm sure if we contact Hitachi support they will provide us with information on a larger drive. Maybe PocketPC Tech's will soon offer an upgrade. I would prefer having them do it with a warranty.

lbarouf

Apr 16, 2007
Hitachi isn't the problem... the problem is the darn CE-ATA interface I didn't notice. Intel is heading the new standard, and the founding member? Hitachi. So far, no other drives then Hitachi's 3K8. Well, they have 2/4/6/8 Gb in sizes, nothing else. 10Gb was suppose to exist, but never saw light. Tough luck for now. Until 20Gb transflash sees light, no expansion. Why oh why HTC didn't you choose the standard CF interface? Looks like I'm returning a 16Gb CF card. :-S

Buch070

Oct 10, 2006
Hitachi isn't the problem... the problem is the darn CE-ATA interface I didn't notice. Intel is heading the new standard, and the founding member? Hitachi. So far, no other drives then Hitachi's 3K8. Well, they have 2/4/6/8 Gb in sizes, nothing else. 10Gb was suppose to exist, but never saw light. Tough luck for now. Until 20Gb transflash sees light, no expansion. Why oh why HTC didn't you choose the standard CF interface? Looks like I'm returning a 16Gb CF card. :-S
Good that HTC installed from the beginning the max available capacity, not 2/4/6 GB.

lbarouf

Apr 16, 2007
That's another way of looking at it. It's positive... true. I guess if you are ultra conscious in the design also, shaving off a few milimeters and tenth of grams is immportant also.

Last edited:

RichardKAthena

Apr 24, 2007
Scotlandonia
Why do people keep referring to Transflash? Transflash was the standard that became MicroSD, I thought - the thumbnail sized cards. MiniSD is like the SD equivalent of the 1/2 MMC cards.

LTxda

Jan 1, 2005
USA
Good that HTC installed from the beginning the max available capacity, not 2/4/6 GB.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm soooooooooo glad they went with the largest available drive. Means they didn't cut too many corners. Way to go HTC on this choice! Doesn't feel like they skimped on us. :)

RichardKAthena

Apr 24, 2007
Scotlandonia
Doesn't really matter, you can put a Transflash (MicroSD) card into a MiniSD adapter.

Uh, yeah, and you can put a Transflash into an SD card adaptor and use it in your camera, too, if you want expensive, slow, small amounts of memory.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to use Transflash in the device, but that people saying Transflash may be confused about what card slot the device has and buy the wrong memory. Or more importantly, people reading might think it has a MicroSD slot.

lbarouf

Apr 16, 2007
I use MicroSD aka Transflash because I can put them in all my devices 9sometimes using adapters obviously). Where SD or MiniSD wouldn't fit in a Motorola phone or Blackberry with Transflash (or MicroSD for the purists *grin*)

cheers! I love my Athena the way it is. I still feel the urge to tweak it though! ;-)

RichardKAthena

Apr 24, 2007
Scotlandonia
Memory is so cheap these days, I just get each device a card - especially since my Nokia's MiniSD card doesn't seem to be recognised by the Mac (I haven't tried it in the Athena yet). 4GB is only £40!

Last edited: