[Q] Front Facing Camera Upside Down/Inverted

Search This thread

defyiant

Nov 30, 2011
I'm having an issue with my Nexus 6 Front Camera inverting while in certain 3rd party Apps. Works well with the Stock Android Camera App but when I download certain 3rd party apps the picture is upside down. Even while using Google Hangouts video call and other video messaging apps the camera is inverted. It's not limited to just camera apps when I use anything with attach a photo/take a photo the camera is upside down any way of fixing this.

glensta

Jul 1, 2010
Over here
I'm having an issue with my Nexus 6 Front Camera inverting while in certain 3rd party Apps. Works well with the Stock Android Camera App but when I download certain 3rd party apps the picture is upside down. Even while using Google Hangouts video call and other video messaging apps the camera is inverted. It's not limited to just camera apps when I use anything with attach a photo/take a photo the camera is upside down any way of fixing this.

Same issue here.....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Premium HD app

Same here. I use a 3rd party app called Battlecam and it uses front and rear camera's. The rear cam is just fine but the front facing cam is upside down everytime. I have a Nexus 7 with android 5.0 and it works fine on that device. I'm thinking this is nexus 6 strictly.

Anyone else?

bigfonz

Oct 15, 2010
I've been having the same problem. It only happens for me on two apps so far, when I turn off my phone Lookout will take a pic and it's upside down and yesterday I downloaded A Better Camera, when I open it's front facing camera it's upside down as well.

ArsenalAM

Feb 14, 2013
I've been having the same problem. It only happens for me on two apps so far, when I turn off my phone Lookout will take a pic and it's upside down and yesterday I downloaded A Better Camera, when I open it's front facing camera it's upside down as well.

I got my Nexus 6 a couple days ago, and have noticed that on Snapchat and Hangouts the front-facing camera shows upside down. On Snapchat, it even utilizes the accelerometer to ensure that no matter the rotation, my face is always hanging down from the sky. Very annoying.

Anyone figure this out? I plan on factory resetting my phone later today and starting from scratch to see if it's a problem incorporating settings from my old phone.

Last edited:

defyiant

Nov 30, 2011
I got my Nexus 6 a couple days ago, and have noticed that on Snapchat and Hangouts the front-facing camera shows upside down. On Snapchat, it even utilizes the accelerometer to ensure that no matter the rotation, my face is always hanging down from the sky. Very annoying.

Anyone figure this out? I plan on factory resetting my phone later today and starting from scratch to see if it's a problem incorporating settings from my old phone.

Hey please let us know if performing a factory reset did anything to fix the problem because like you I'm annoyed with having my front camera face upside down. All apps should work properly front camera or not this is disappointing because this is a new device and this should not be happening.

jj14

Mar 5, 2008
Hey please let us know if performing a factory reset did anything to fix the problem because like you I'm annoyed with having my front camera face upside down. All apps should work properly front camera or not this is disappointing because this is a new device and this should not be happening.

These type of issues usually occur with new devices running the new OS - aka 'initial bugs' ;)
El Goog will get these sorted out (make sure you put in a bug report)

ArsenalAM

Feb 14, 2013

Factory reset fixed the issues I mentioned in my post. I suspect they were caused by importing data/settings from my previous device, which had a different version of the OS.

Nexus NYC

Jan 11, 2015
I'm having this issue, and I didn't import any settings from a previous phone. Is this a software or hardware problem?

capnbuh

Jun 13, 2015
I "fixed" this problem by uninstalling the updates on my Google Camera app. I guess something in one of the updates inverts the pics taken. At least, this was the "solution" on my Nexus 6. I re-installed the latest update to the camera and the problem came back.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nexus 6 portrait orientation is 270 instead of 90

The developers of these apps assume that the orientation for portrait mode is 90 degrees. From some reason on Nexus 6 it should be 270 degrees. Developers of camera apps should follow the code example at: http://developer.android.com/reference/android/hardware/Camera.html#setDisplayOrientation(int)