[ROM] Verizon i815 STOCK ICS rooted IMM76D.LP11 - Verizon OTA as CWM flashable ROM

Search This thread

worldsite

Mar 25, 2005
phone app killing battery

Hi, did a lot of reading in this forum and still not sure if this was ever solved with LP10, but with LP11 I have the tablet die on me randomly.
The "Phone" application killed the battery in less then 8 hours of stand-by (during the night and with display off) after I installed LP10 (no wipe), then LP11. So I did "wipe cache partition" and also "wipe data/factory reset" on this device using Androids own system recovery <3e>.
The tablet behaved well for 2 days after that and battery only dropped about 12-15% per day with little to no use but wifi on.
When I went to bed last night it was charged around 90% but was down to 2% just a few hours later, because "Phone" used the entire battery.

Unfortunately, if I force stop this "Phone" app, it starts itself again within a few seconds. Is there a way to simply remove the application or at least prevent it from running? ..it's a Verizon tablet after all, so there is no phone service available anyway ;)

Thanks!
Robin

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 257

maxyoda

Nov 11, 2009
Hi, did a lot of reading in this forum and still not sure if this was ever solved with LP10, but with LP11 I have the tablet die on me randomly.
The "Phone" application killed the battery in less then 8 hours of stand-by (during the night and with display off) after I installed LP10 (no wipe), then LP11. So I did "wipe cache partition" and also "wipe data/factory reset" on this device using Androids own system recovery <3e>.
The tablet behaved well for 2 days after that and battery only dropped about 12-15% per day with little to no use but wifi on.
When I went to bed last night it was charged around 90% but was down to 2% just a few hours later, because "Phone" used the entire battery.

Unfortunately, if I force stop this "Phone" app, it starts itself again within a few seconds. Is there a way to simply remove the application or at least prevent it from running? ..it's a Verizon tablet after all, so there is no phone service available anyway ;)

Thanks!
Robin

I have the same problem...

Royaltiger

Jan 24, 2012

Thanks!
Robin
You can easily remove/freeze the application using Titanium Backup.

worldsite

Mar 25, 2005
You can easily remove/freeze the application using Titanium Backup.

Thanks Royaltiger, I didn't try that but I renamed /system/app/Phone.apk and /system/app/Phone.odex to /system/app/Phone.apk_off and /system/app/Phone.odex_off, which I guess should have the same effect.

Unfortunately this also stopped 4G from working, so apparently the "Phone" application is also in charge for the mobile broadband connection :/

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Thanks Royaltiger, I didn't try that but I renamed /system/app/Phone.apk and /system/app/Phone.odex to /system/app/Phone.apk_off and /system/app/Phone.odex_off, which I guess should have the same effect.

Unfortunately this also stopped 4G from working, so apparently the "Phone" application is also in charge for the mobile broadband connection :/

Actually it seems to make a difference. I installed Titanium Backup and froze "Phone" in there. 4G is still available and I will keep an eye on the battery use while on 4G and wifi.

mindstream98

Nov 10, 2006
I formatted Data, Cache and System. Trying again today with wipe version of LP10. I'll post results. Thanks again.

Victor

Did you wipe data/cache? Coming from CM10 you definitely need to do a clean install. You can simply flash the "wipe" version of the LP10 rom first, then upgrade to the LP11

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

worldsite

Mar 25, 2005
"phone" eats battery

Unfortunately freezing the "Phone" app didn't do anything and this application still consumes 85-90% of the battery. I'm a bit lost here, since this tablet is no "phone" and it should not be running in the first place. Plus it appears that it always starts in the middle of the night, when I don't use the device (something like a cronjob triggering it?).

Anybody any idea how to get rid of this annoying battery drain?

Thanks!

jkrell

Sep 16, 2009
Unfortunately freezing the "Phone" app didn't do anything and this application still consumes 85-90% of the battery. I'm a bit lost here, since this tablet is no "phone" and it should not be running in the first place. Plus it appears that it always starts in the middle of the night, when I don't use the device (something like a cronjob triggering it?).

Anybody any idea how to get rid of this annoying battery drain?

Thanks!

This was a problem for me back when I upgraded to LP10. A full wipe fixed things. However, I don't want to do that now. For now, my problem isn't nearly as bad as yours and is bearable. Maybe at some point I'll have the stomach to do a full wipe.

Back on LP10, I can confirm that a wipe did the trick.

Kralik

Nov 12, 2011
My battery life has been terrible with LP11, even with the device in Airplane mode and/or with the modem turned off. Better Battery Stats revealed that there was a modem usb suspend block that was constantly keeping my tablet from going into deep sleep. In the end I solved the issue by using ES File Explorer in root mode to rename Phone.apk and Phone.odex to Phone.apk.bak and Phone.odex.bak. Now my tablet complains that phone has crashed on startup, but no more battery drain! :D

Luckily I don't want/need phone/data. I have GrooveIP if I want to make calls.

worldsite

Mar 25, 2005
4G still working?

My battery life has been terrible with LP11, even with the device in Airplane mode and/or with the modem turned off. Better Battery Stats revealed that there was a modem usb suspend block that was constantly keeping my tablet from going into deep sleep. In the end I solved the issue by using ES File Explorer in root mode to rename Phone.apk and Phone.odex to Phone.apk.bak and Phone.odex.bak. Now my tablet complains that phone has crashed on startup, but no more battery drain! :D

Luckily I don't want/need phone/data. I have GrooveIP if I want to make calls.

Hi Kralik, are you still getting 3G/4G signal with this solution? My Verizon tablet seems not to pickup signal anymore when I rename the phone app.

td1320

Dec 5, 2008
Many thanks! I just decided to go back to stock for stability reasons. Your method works perfectly.

I don't know where many of us i815 users would be without your help. Thanks again man!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Well said Gilbot, thanks a ton electron73!!!

scratchnbell

Nov 27, 2007
electron73,
I'm not able to download the ROM file. All other files, I had no problem with. Can you check the link and let me know. My browser opens a new window and then times out.
Thanks
Bob

Here's the new Verizon OTA packaged up as a full CWM flashable ROM. Wiping should not be necessary if you are coming from our last ICS ROM (LP10).

This is meant for those who have CWM installed and for those who modified their system to the point that the OTA does not work because it expects certain files.
If you are on full stock (rooted) ICS LP10 and are not getting the OTA update the regular way, you can look here for a way to manually install it:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1932597&page=26

The rom is pre-rooted. After installing, run super-su and let it check for binary updates. Also a cached copy of su for restoring with Voodoo OTA rootkeeper is included (for extra safety).

Part1: The ROM
Install with CWM
http://electron73.org/XDA/i815/electron_ICS-LP11_i815.zip

Part2: The MODEM
Flash with ODIN in PHONE section
http://electron73.org/XDA/i815/electron_ICS-LP11_i815_modem.tar

Part3 (optional): Stock Recovery
If you want to be full stock afterwards, flash with ODIN in PDA section
http://electron73.org/XDA/i815/electron_ICS-LP11_i815_recovery.tar

Part4 (optional): Stock SBL
If you did all 3 parts above and want to be able to receive future Verizon OTA's flash this in ODIN in BOOTLOADER section
http://electron73.org/XDA/i815/electron_ICS-LP11_i815_sbl.tar

Enjoy :)

electron73

Mar 17, 2007
Vegas, baby!
Ok I Was able to get the ROM file. IT did take about 15 minutes before it started to download.

Sorry about that. Probably an issue with the hosting. I will need a new server at sone point. Never expected the rom to get this "popular" lol.
Thanks to the neglect from Verizon for our beloved tablet :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Kralik

Nov 12, 2011
I'm going to share my story in case it is helpful to anyone.

First, I use my tablet with wifi only and do not need/want phone/data with Verizon.

I tried a bunch of custom ROMs before deciding I wanted stability and going with LP10. Everything seemed to be great.

Then I upgraded in-place to LP11 and had a myriad of issues: extremely poor battery life and random wifi disconnects. When using wifi, I would be forced to go into settings, turn wifi off, turn it back on, and reconnect to the AP every 5-10 minutes. I "solved" the battery life problem by renaming Phone.apk, which was keeping my tablet from going into sleep mode properly.

To try to fix the wifi problems, I downgraded (again, in-place) to LP10. To my surprise I had the phone/battery problem even though I didn't have it before and the wifi problem remained. I also had to rename otacerts.zip to avoid constant update nagging.

So I decided to wipe data and start over from backups. After reinstalling LP10 wipe version I found that I could not encrypt my data. It would freeze without rebooting at the encryption screen. I left it overnight with no progress. Updated to LP11... same problem. Went into CWM and did a factory reset. Same problem.

Loaded TWRP and did a data format. Yay, it finally worked! TWRP seems to handle encrypted (or previously encrypted) partitions better than CWM. Stock recovery can do a factory reset as well but I wasn't touching that one with a ten-foot pole because of the infamous brick bug.

So... now I have a tablet that is running LP11 with the LP10 modem and as far as I can tell my problems are gone. No drain, no wifi disconnects, no update nags. I'm thinking that I remember reading earlier in this thread or another that a full data wipe helps with the battery drain issues. I wonder if I could flash the LP11 modem anyway, but... since I don't need it, and what I have is working, I'll stick with my frankentablet. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: My hosting I had for XDA related work expired, so I re-uploaded everything here: http://www.mods4cars.com/pub/xda

Here's the new Verizon OTA packaged up as a full CWM flashable ROM. Wiping should not be necessary if you are coming from our last ICS ROM (LP10).

This is meant for those who have CWM installed and for those who modified their system to the point that the OTA does not work because it expects certain files.
    If you are on full stock (rooted) ICS LP10 and are not getting the OTA update the regular way, you can look here for a way to manually install it:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1932597&page=26

The rom is pre-rooted. After installing, run super-su and let it check for binary updates. Also a cached copy of su for restoring with Voodoo OTA rootkeeper is included (for extra safety).

Part1: The ROM
    Install with CWM
    http://electron73.org/XDA/i815/electron_ICS-LP11_i815.zip

Part2: The MODEM
    Flash with ODIN in PHONE section
    http://electron73.org/XDA/i815/electron_ICS-LP11_i815_modem.tar

Part3 (optional): Stock Recovery
    If you want to be full stock afterwards, flash with ODIN in PDA section
    http://electron73.org/XDA/i815/electron_ICS-LP11_i815_recovery.tar

Part4 (optional): Stock SBL
    If you did all 3 parts above and want to be able to receive future Verizon OTA's flash this in ODIN in BOOTLOADER section
    http://electron73.org/XDA/i815/electron_ICS-LP11_i815_sbl.tar

Enjoy :)
    My hosting plan expired. I updated the OP
    I have an older Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 LTE Verizon SCH-i815 and I broke one of the most important rules of flashing, never flash while drinking. :silly: So I accidentally flashed the wrong cwm recovery and soft bricked then unbricked then bootlooped my tablet. I managed to install what I think is the correct CWM recovery img but now I am in bootloop with CWM recovery and stock recovery both working (sorta). I am not an expert so I have to follow guides and all the guides I can find for this device are old and the links for the files I need are dead. Please someone help!!! :eek:
    Try Twrp instead as its still being actively developed and maintained. Cwm is no longer being developed