Nexus 4: How's that glass back holding up?

Search This thread

cb474

Oct 25, 2010
For people who have the Nexus 4, I'm wondering how that glass back is holding up?

The review unit at The Verge already has a small crack, from when it was accidentally knocked off of a table. And Android Central, in their review, said they were already seeing hairlines scratches on the back. I was also in a T-Mobile store today looking at their demo unit, which had a few hairline scratches on the back (even though they just got the phone today).

The glass back is one part of the build of the phone that I a bit worried about in the long run (after all, it didn't work out so well on the iPhone 4).

Thanks for any comments.

Reactions: ismethajametovic

KyraOfFire

Feb 23, 2012
Champaign
Ouch.... I ordered screen protector for front and back, and a soft case but they won't come until later this month.

I guess I will have to stick with my old g2 for a while?

dyslexicpenguin

Nov 13, 2012
Why is everyone so worried about the BACK glass breaking? If I dropped the phone I'd be a whole lot more concerned over the front SCREEN breaking. The glass on the back cracking would be annoying, but it won't hurt the function of the phone. The front breaking obviously would, and every single smartphone has a glass screen.

jacklebott

Oct 22, 2010
Land of the Idiots
Why is everyone so worried about the BACK glass breaking? If I dropped the phone I'd be a whole lot more concerned over the front SCREEN breaking. The glass on the back cracking would be annoying, but it won't hurt the function of the phone. The front breaking obviously would, and every single smartphone has a glass screen.

Shattered glass in your hands is bad either way

matrix0886

Sep 21, 2011
Houston
I'm curious how well it'd hold up with a Zagg Invisi-Shield on it...if it would still crack simply from shock or not. Either way, i'll still get a bumper case for the phone simply out of paranoia, lol. I drop my phones like crazy. It's amazing how crazy I am over gadgets and protecting them, yet they still seem to slip from my desk/car/hand :p

I think i'm going to give this phone 2 months before I invest any money into it. I'd rather play it smart and wait than to be "cool" because I was the first to get one (which honestly, nobody really gives a **** about, lol). I had friends who were all "hey, hey look. I got the new 'insertnewphonehere'. I'm one of the first people to get one" and everyone else was like "......um, ok. You want a prize or something?" lol

cb474

Oct 25, 2010

Yes, every single smartphone does have a glass screen, which is why there would be no point asking this question about any particular phone. It's a necessity and it's not a reason one is going to choose one phone over another.

But there's no reason the back of the Nexus 4 has to be glass, so it is relevant to consider how durable it's going to be when comparing it to other phones. Why effectively double a risk (of a glass part breaking), if it's not necessary?

It's also possible that the back of the Nexus 4 is not as durable as the typical screen. It is interesting that all of the stories of breaking and scratches, so far, are on the back phone.

Reactions: OppaGangnamStyle

ferozfero

Nov 10, 2011
thing is ..its simple... google heard all of last year how samsung screwed up the build quality of nexus with plastic..so they thought what material while cheap can provide a lil if not lot more premium feel...(the 4s pops into their head)..lg presents a similar phone..and voila nexus 4 is made.. im not saying its bad quality..to be honest its the best quality phone im gonna buy...

qwahchees

Jul 7, 2012
Toronto

Holy, Deja Vu. I swear I saw this post somewhere before. Maybe I was dreaming of you...

Anyways. Screen protectors won't hold the phone together from a drop. A case will. I'm getting a bumper.

Reactions: XxSHaDoWxSLaYeRxX

Richieboy67

Dec 10, 2011
CT
www.talkdevelopment.net
Personally I love the glass back. I will not drop this phone and I will be using a case like I do with any expensive smart phone..

Sure, drop it onto a stone, cement or tile floor chances are it will crack. Many phones would.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

funky247

Nov 15, 2012
Why care about the glass breaking at all? There will surely be OEM back plates available for sale on eBay (just as there are for the iPhones) and seeing how easy the Nexus 4 is to take apart, you could just replace it yourself for $20-$30!

Although the Nexus 4 back plate may be a little more expensive as it actually has components on it...

stratax

Aug 21, 2010
Missouri (misery)
Yes, every single smartphone does have a glass screen, which is why there would be no point asking this question about any particular phone. It's a necessity and it's not a reason one is going to choose one phone over another.

But there's no reason the back of the Nexus 4 has to be glass, so it is relevant to consider how durable it's going to be when comparing it to other phones. Why effectively double a risk (of a glass part breaking), if it's not necessary?

It's also possible that the back of the Nexus 4 is not as durable as the typical screen. It is interesting that all of the stories of breaking and scratches, so far, are on the back phone.

The back and front are both Gorilla Glass 2. if you are THAT worried about it, get ghost armor or something or a otterbox case.

cb474

Oct 25, 2010
thing is ..its simple... google heard all of last year how samsung screwed up the build quality of nexus with plastic..so they thought what material while cheap can provide a lil if not lot more premium feel...(the 4s pops into their head)..lg presents a similar phone..and voila nexus 4 is made.. im not saying its bad quality..to be honest its the best quality phone im gonna buy...
Yeah, I imagine something like this was the logic. And it is a nice phone. Defintely a step up in at least perceived build quality. But there are certainly a lot of other ways to get there. The rubbery matte material on the side of the phone has a nice feel to it. If the back had been made from that material, I think it would have had an equally premium feel and seemed a lot more durable. It's also a little sad to think that the best idea Google had was to copy the iPhone.
Richieboy67 said:
Personally I love the glass back. I will not drop this phone...
Good luck with that.
I have not heard of anyone that had a shattered glass back on a Nexus 4. Cracked and scratched is a far cry from shattered.
Cracked and scratched on day 1 (even with review units) is not a good beginning. I suspect it's only a matter of time until we start seeing the image of shattered backs posted online. I hope I turn out to be wrong.
The back and front are both Gorilla Glass 2. if you are THAT worried about it, get ghost armor or something or a otterbox case.
The back of the iPhone 4 is Gorilla Glass too. It didn't stop backs from shattering. Anyway, the point is that there is no reason to take the extra risk of having not just the screen as a fragile component, but also the back. It just doubles the odds of shattering something for no good reason. Sooner or later most people drop their phones. The job of a good designer is to mitigate (not enhance) the possible downsides of this.

By the way, I like this phone. I may still get one. I'm just not excited about having to treat something I carry with me everywhere, like a delicate piece of equipment. I'm not clumsy. I've only dropped my Nexus One a couple times in two years. But things like that happen when you're least expecting it and coming up with a shattered back, rather than a nick or dent is going to be really annoying. (And I hate cases and all that crap. I carry my phone in my pocket. I don't need to make a device designed to be as thin and pocketable as possible, thicker and more cumbersome.)

Reactions: grrratt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wait... those cracks / scratches are most likely caused by your own fault and you're requesting for a replacement?

Seriously?

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

How is it a defective product when you're the one who broke it?

If you say so. ;) lol.

& how am I bitter? I already have my phone.

Google sold you in good condition, you broke it, now you want them to fix it? If it is a manufacturing defect that leads to easily broken glass than I guess that's a case. But if you drop it on a metal bar or hardwood floor its your fault.

Well I don't think I was saying your phone was part of this issue, if it came defective, send it back and get a replacement. It's unacceptable to sell a phone with scratches and I agree with you... My phone arrived already opened with the side plastic bits off and the package was a little used...

But for others who have pictures of their phones with obvious falls, or descriptions of how the back screen cracked. You have a manufacturer's warranty which doesn't cover accidental drops/breakages. I really don't think XDA should be endorsing this kind of behavior. If there is a manufacturing flaw with glass that just breaks then I think that is another story and should be directed at LG.

As the OP, let me say, for the umpteenth time, that the purpose of this thread is for people who actually have the Nexus 4 to discuss their experiences with the glass back (good or bad). The purpose is not to snidely deride and critique people's comments about the phone or their attempts to seek some redress from Google, for what they feel is a flawed design. If you have nothing to say but to be snide to other people, please go elsewhere and don't clutter this thread with purposeless comments that are clearly not meant to be helpful or kind. If you think that this thread is ridiculous, please ignore it. I, for one, do not jump into threads that I think are pointless in order to arrogantly tell other people what they should be talking about. I just ignore them. Let people have the conversations they want to have.
    I just dropped my phone about 1 FOOT between my couch and it hit the metal railing and that's all she wrote for the back glass. When I say I dropped the phone it actually slid off the couch and into the crack due to the slipperiness of the phone. I will be calling Google Monday to complain. IDK if that will help any but it's worth a try...

Sorry to hear about your phone, unisound1, that's a bummer. Thanks for posting and providing the images of how the back cracked.

To those who said the glass back does not make this phone more fragile, because the word "Gorilla" has been placed before the word "Glass," and any time you use the word gorilla in the same phrase with the word glass you make that thing industructable, well, here we are. Just yesterday I said that sooner or later these glass backs are going to cause problems and shatter. One day later, we see the first instance of this. And it's less than a week since the phone came out. The phone didn't even fall that far (one foot, as compared to say a phone slipping from someone's hand onto the sidewalk).

I forget who it was, but one of the reviewers with a pre-release unit did warn that not only is the back fragile, but that the back also makes the phone more slippery and likely to inadvertently slip from surfaces. Sounds like it's exactly this combination of problems that befell unisound1.

As someone else said, I still might buy this phone if there's ever a 32GB version, because the price is right for this quality of a phone. But the unnecessarily fragile back does concern me. People who say, "if you're so worried about the back, don't buy it," are just missing the point. I started this thread to try to get some information from owners of the Nexus 4 about how the glass back is holding up. It should be possible to have a conversation about this, without people getting all defensive of the Nexus 4, like I kicked their puppy. I like the Nexus 4 a lot and think is very well made in many respects. But that doesn't mean I feel the need to close my eyes, cover my ears, and pretend that the phone is prefect. I just want to be able to have an adult conversation about the glass back an its potential pitfalls.

Sorry again, unisound1, about your phone. Hope you're able to work something out with Google.
    I agree that the phone looks quite elegant. It's a nice design, from an aesthetic point of view. But that, I think, will be ruined by putting ghost armor and/or a bumper on it. I really do not like the touch or feel of screen cover materials. And bumpers totally change the appearance.

So what's the point of the elegant design, if you have to cover it up to protect the phone? And if you don't cover it up, then you have the unnecessary risk of a glass back breaking. It's a lose lose choice.

That aside, I really don't think the fact that no one has posted about the back shattering yet means much. The phone is only a couple days old. What's striking it that there are already a number of cases of cracks and that review units were getting damaged even before that phone was released. That to me does not forbode a back that is very durable.

And the fact that there is yet to be a known case, in only a couple days, of a shattered back still does not respond to the point that the glass back is a completely unnecessary risk, no matter how much better Gorilla Glass 2 is than the first verion. There is no logical way that having a glass back makes the phone more durable than not having one. It's a choice of elegant looks over practicality. And there are other ways to come up with elegant looks (I also like the polycarbonate shell designs--which in Nokia's defense, they invented with the N9), so the glass back is an unnecessary choice at that.

Also, are we sure that the back is Gorilla Glass 2? As I noted in my OP, the demo phone I saw in the T-Mobile store already had a hairline scratch on the back (the day they got the phone). And Android Central reported similar scratches on their review unit. That surprises me. I'm skeptical that Gorilla Glass 2 is going to be shatter proof in a fall on a hard surface, but I really expected it to hold up to minor scratches better. Most Gorilla Glass screens do. So I wonder if they used a cheaper material on the back. If not, then I am not super impressed with Gorilla Glass 2 as far as scratches go.

1. Glass was a design direction pushed by LG and they were adamant on it being included, NOT GOOGLE
    2. almost all of the nexus 4's antennas are built into the back cover so glass is used because it's radio transparent. They *could* have used plastic but everyone was complaining about "oooooooooh the nexus sucks it dosnt feel 'premium,'" " cheap plastic crap again" etc. and again, LG insisted.
    3. No matter what material they use to make the back, someone will have something negative to say about it. Plastic is cheap, glass breaks, metal just doesn't work. there's literally no winning material.
    4. hairline crack, big deal. get a bumper/case if you want. Design is always tradeoff.
    5. yes the glass is GG2
    6. all glass scratches when in contact with silica (sand), nothing we can do
    7. GG is not shatter proof, it's shatter resistant
    8. GG2 has exactly the same coating as GG. The only thing that's different is the ion treatment where they add the compression to the surface of the glass.
    Yeah, it is. Apple has just been cagey about acknowledging their use of Gorilla Glass in the iPhone.

1. grip
    2. process difficulty/scaling
    3. way way way way way worse durability, not only to major drops/accidents.
    I was being sarcastic for the sake of making a point, when I said, why not just make the entire phone out of gorilla glass. You're missing my point and responding as if I were being literal. The point, which seems to elude most people, is that adding glass surfaces to the phone does not make it equally durable because it already has a glass screen. The more fragile parts there are, the less durable the phone is. It doesn't have to be perfectly resilient, as some fantastically suggest, but a phone shouldn't be more fragile than necessary just to have a pretty pretty glossy back that shines and makes people feel good. It's not an art object that you keep on a pedestal, it's a practical device that you carry with you and needs to be able to withstand, as best as possible, the ups and downs of daily use. There are plenty of good, aesthetically appealing, functional designs that do not gratuitously add fragile parts.

I feel like the people who need to defend the Nexus 4 against any critique of any part of it, just want to act as if the phone is perfect and can't possibly have a poor design choice about any element. It seems like people can't like a phone and also admit that it's not perfect. It's very black and white, simplistic thinking.

And the people who somehow think they can say they won't drop the phone and magically it will never happen are fooling themselves. No matter how careful you are accidents happen. People are going to drop this phone. LG/Google should have done what they could to minimize the risk of damage, not enhance it.

That aside, as the OP, the point of this thread was to ask what experience people are having with the Nexus 4 who actually own it. Have they dropped it? Has anything happened to the back? How's the back holding up?

I'm really not interested in people's defense of a design choice that obviously makes the phone more fragile. Is it aesthetically appleaing? Yes. But, If you want to believe that glass doesn't shatter, even magical unicorn powered Gorilla Glass, then I can't help you.