Clarification on no GMS please

Search This thread

Nesiah

Mar 25, 2020
Looking to grab the mate 30 Pro.. Or potentially the p40 Pro after tomorrows launch. But really wanna check out the slow mo on the mate, plus love the design

I'm an android user.

Been doing a lot of reading and still struggling to grasp if I actually need google services on my phone or not? I know I won't have generic Google apps, but there a possibility to install them. Done some custom rom installs many moons ago.

I'll still have my Samsung s10e work phone.

Can anyone clarify or point me in the direction of an an article that explains the pros and cons?

Failing this it looks like the p30 pro is by best alternate. As I tend not to go mainbsteam Samsung

xchatter

Hi there,

The installation of gms right now is unstable or tricky. For example using Chatpartner+Ice Box+Island is the most stable as it gets, but it has its own drawbacks(you can see info about the methods in the other threads). I don't know if we will get a clean permanent solution. I hope we get.

So let's assume you don't get gms, because you don't want to mess with the current unstable solutions. The drawbacks from my point of view are:
- no PlayStore -> So you don't get your paid apps. Also you can't get all apps from the Huawei store, because some of them are missing. Some partial solution: Use ApkPure or some other app store to get your apps.
- no Youtube -> Youtube requires gms. Solution: use Youtube Vanced;
- no Google Maps -> It requires gms. Solution: use Waze;
- no Google Drive/Photos -> It requires gms. Solution: use Microsoft OneDrive or any other cloud;
- no Contact Sync -> It requires gms. Solution: export contacts from Google and import them.(here I decided again to go with Microsoft so I sync my future new contacts in a cloud after all)
- no Gmail -> It requires gms. Solution: use Outlook app or any other email app like Nine. You can add you gmail account there.

Some people suggested to use the google apps through a browser and put shortcuts on your home screen, but this is not a replacement for the actual apps in my oppinion.

Bottom line:
- If you don't want any hassle and you want everything everywhere working then get P30 Pro;
- If you want to try the available workarounds for google apps and you won't get overwhelmed or irritated when some errors occur and you have to tinker again then get the Mate 30 Pro;
- If you want to detach from google ecosystem and try some new apps then get the Mate 30 Pro(just make sure you thought of all apps that you need and found a comfortable replacement);
- For the P40 Pro I can't speak;

I have one of the workarounds of GMS on my phone and the apps are working. However I am trying to move away a bit from gms, because I want to be free to try new tech and use all my apps. I am a heavy Google user paying for subscriptions for some services so I am dependent on their apps. However with this phone I realized that Google is closing their services forcing users to have certain hardware which I dislike. This is why I will make an attempt to use alternatives(mostly I will use Microsoft products) so I can buy whatever phone I like and use it seamlessly.

I hope this helps! :)

xchatter

xchatter what GMS work around are you using on your current device?

Chatpartner+Ice Box+Island , but I see someone just created a thread saying that ChatPartner doesn't work now(I don't know if it is true). However Chatpartner is just the first part for getting the gms on the device which can be achieved also with other methods like restoring a backup which has this chinese app for installing gms(you can search, videos are everywhere showing it). Then afterwards probably you will start getting the non-stop notifications that your device is not certified. From that point you will need to follow the guides to add your account and then use Ice Box to freeze some google apps(playstore and services). This way you won't get the notifications, but any installed google apps will work. From there you can use Island to activate your work profile and unfreeze those apps in an isolated scope where you can have your Play Store to get apps or you can just use some other app store. You can get more details in the other threads, basically this is the main topic in the whole Mate 30 Pro forum. :D

s1conan

Mar 26, 2009
Looking to grab the mate 30 Pro.. Or potentially the p40 Pro after tomorrows launch. But really wanna check out the slow mo on the mate, plus love the design

I'm an android user.

Been doing a lot of reading and still struggling to grasp if I actually need google services on my phone or not? I know I won't have generic Google apps, but there a possibility to install them. Done some custom rom installs many moons ago.

I'll still have my Samsung s10e work phone.

Can anyone clarify or point me in the direction of an an article that explains the pros and cons?

Failing this it looks like the p30 pro is by best alternate. As I tend not to go mainbsteam Samsung

the installation of gms is tricky complicated for most users, but it can be done if you want to learn. it works for now but no one knows till when.
the P40 definitely wont have GMS too, so if this is a problem, go with another brand or P30 or mate 20 if you still want huawei.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there,

The installation of gms right now is unstable or tricky. For example using Chatpartner+Ice Box+Island is the most stable as it gets, but it has its own drawbacks(you can see info about the methods in the other threads). I don't know if we will get a clean permanent solution. I hope we get.

So let's assume you don't get gms, because you don't want to mess with the current unstable solutions. The drawbacks from my point of view are:
    - no PlayStore -> So you don't get your paid apps. Also you can't get all apps from the Huawei store, because some of them are missing. Some partial solution: Use ApkPure or some other app store to get your apps.
    - no Youtube -> Youtube requires gms. Solution: use Youtube Vanced;
    - no Google Maps -> It requires gms. Solution: use Waze;
    - no Google Drive/Photos -> It requires gms. Solution: use Microsoft OneDrive or any other cloud;
    - no Contact Sync -> It requires gms. Solution: export contacts from Google and import them.(here I decided again to go with Microsoft so I sync my future new contacts in a cloud after all)
    - no Gmail -> It requires gms. Solution: use Outlook app or any other email app like Nine. You can add you gmail account there.

Some people suggested to use the google apps through a browser and put shortcuts on your home screen, but this is not a replacement for the actual apps in my oppinion.

Bottom line:
    - If you don't want any hassle and you want everything everywhere working then get P30 Pro;
    - If you want to try the available workarounds for google apps and you won't get overwhelmed or irritated when some errors occur and you have to tinker again then get the Mate 30 Pro;
    - If you want to detach from google ecosystem and try some new apps then get the Mate 30 Pro(just make sure you thought of all apps that you need and found a comfortable replacement);
    - For the P40 Pro I can't speak;

I have one of the workarounds of GMS on my phone and the apps are working. However I am trying to move away a bit from gms, because I want to be free to try new tech and use all my apps. I am a heavy Google user paying for subscriptions for some services so I am dependent on their apps. However with this phone I realized that Google is closing their services forcing users to have certain hardware which I dislike. This is why I will make an attempt to use alternatives(mostly I will use Microsoft products) so I can buy whatever phone I like and use it seamlessly.

I hope this helps! :)