[q] 4.3 jellybean ota questions

Search This thread

SapiasLupus

Mar 5, 2014
I've got a Galaxy S3 I747 it is currently running 4.1.1, I747UCDLK3 Baseband. I'm not exactly a noob when it comes to flashing and rooting, I know my way around CWM and Odin pretty well. But I have a few questions on this 4.3 OTA. (I am a forum noob) :cool:

-Will I still be able to root? (I heard CF works for it)

-Can I install CWM? (Is the Bootloader locked??)

-Will I be be able to I flash other roms than the 4.3 TW like CM11Snapshot? (Is the bootloader locked?)

-What the h*ll is knox and why should I be worried? :eek:

-What is with the boot loader downgrading thing? (Have to do with locked bootloader??)

I AM NOT AT ALL WORRIED ABOUT A FLASH COUNTER OR VOIDING A WARRANTY I AM NOT ON A CONTRACT :p . I JUST DO NO WANT TO HARD BRICK MY PHONE. :rolleyes:

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
If you take the OTA 4.3 update, it will install Knox and the 4.3 bootloader.

The 4.3 bootloader cannot be downgraded and attempts to do so will probably brick the phone.

You can root the stock 4.3 ROM with auto root but Knox may interfere with the process of cause issues after the fact.

You can still install CWM. I rrefer Philz Touch which is CWM-based.over TWRP.

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Yes, you can flash ROMs. Is your phone unlocked? Since you're on 4.1.1 stock, you can unlock it for free.

Personally, I avoided the 4.3 update because it installs knox and the 4.3 bootloader which can cause problems when using Odin to get back to stock.

I have a Canadian version of the s3 and I'm able to run KK ROMs with a stock 4.1.2 bootloader.

Reactions: SapiasLupus

SapiasLupus

Mar 5, 2014
Yes, you can flash ROMs. Is your phone unlocked? Since you're on 4.1.1 stock, you can unlock it for free.

Personally, I avoided the 4.3 update because it installs knox and the 4.3 bootloader which can cause problems when using Odin to get back to stock.

I have a Canadian version of the s3 and I'm able to run KK ROMs with a stock 4.1.2 bootloader.

Unlocked as in Bootloader? Yeah I've been able to flash roms via CWM and Odin on 4.1.1 and as in Carrier unlocked? Yes I use Straight Talk on this ATT S3 :p
If I got the 4.3OTA I wouldn't need Odin to go back stock if I flashed a ROM would I? I could just make a back up via CWM then restore later if I wanted right rather than using ODIN?
See I can't use KK roms because I have the 4.1.1 BL so is there a way I can upgrade my boot loader to the 4.1.2 version??

Would I lose my carrier unlock if I upgraded to 4.3 or if I upgrade my bootloader??

Last edited:

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I suggest downloading a ROM you want to try, then unzip the ROM and look at the updater script to see which bootloaders are supported. The updater-script file is located in \META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script. You can use a text editor to open the updater-script file.

The first few lines will list the bootloaders that are supported. I run Validus which is a KK ROM using a stock 4.1.2 i747m bootloader.

SapiasLupus

Mar 5, 2014
Do you know about this > "If I got the 4.3OTA I wouldn't need Odin to go back stock if I flashed a ROM would I? I could just make a back up via CWM then restore later if I wanted right rather than using ODIN?"

Also couldn't I just upgrade my Bootloader and Modem from here?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2321310
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1831898

I feel like if I upgrade my boot loader then I won't have to worry about restrictions.

Would I lose my carrier unlock if I upgraded to 4.3 or if I upgrade just my bootloader??

SapiasLupus

Mar 5, 2014
I ended up flashing the MG2 Modem and Bootloader, I'm good now, also if I want 4.3 I saw loserskater has a leak version that will be good and wont not let me downgrade my bootloader.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.