Apps Hang and dont donwload from Market

Search This thread

david_ag

Feb 10, 2009
Miami, FL
I am having this problem recently. I try to download any app or an update to any app. It will just sit at starting download and never download.

I am on Fresh ROM 1.0
I did update some apps after installing the ROM so that's not the problem.
I also have a problem that if I clear the cache, when I reboot Everything force and keeps force closing forever. Whats up with that? isn't the cache supposed to recompile on reboot?
I tried clearing the cache to fix the market issue to no avail (beacuse of all the force closes never got to see what happened after clearing cache). I tried clearing the cache from recovery and using Fresh's app installer,and both times tons of force closes.

Someone please HELP!

rigamrts

Apr 12, 2009
this is not a gtalk issue. gtalk is not even related to what problem he has. i had it happen to me on my eris when i was playing around in the bootloader. when i started back up everything force closed and would not start. only sugetion i can give you on the force close it is a factory reset or ruu reset both will work. as far as downloads not starting are you rooted?

david_ag

Feb 10, 2009
Miami, FL
Yes, to install a custom ROM you need to be rooted. Tried the gtalk sing in to fix the Market issue and no dice. Still hanguing...

Anything else??

flipzmode

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
this is not a gtalk issue. gtalk is not even related to what problem he has. i had it happen to me on my eris when i was playing around in the bootloader. when i started back up everything force closed and would not start. only sugetion i can give you on the force close it is a factory reset or ruu reset both will work. as far as downloads not starting are you rooted?
So I'm not going to call you out or something, but please read before you speak. Gtalk is MAJORLY tied in to the market and it is a documented fix from google themselves to try signing in to gtalk to fix stalled downloads.

Even though it doesn't work for everyone (depending on the reason it's stalled) it IS related.
Yes, to install a custom ROM you need to be rooted. Tried the gtalk sing in to fix the Market issue and no dice. Still hanguing...

Anything else??

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Android+Market/thread?tid=57b5e3efa7477b50&hl=en

Hundreds (maybe thousands?) of posts. Starting back in March and dating all the way until today. Google hasn't been able to resolve the issue. I can tell you that what has always worked for me is a combination of cancel download > disable wifi > disable mobile data > enable mobile data > try download again.

Didn't work? Reboot and repeat. Eventually it will go......

rigamrts

Apr 12, 2009
So I'm not going to call you out or something, but please read before you speak. Gtalk is MAJORLY tied in to the market and it is a documented fix from google themselves to try signing in to gtalk to fix stalled downloads.

Even though it doesn't work for everyone (depending on the reason it's stalled) it IS related.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Android+Market/thread?tid=57b5e3efa7477b50&hl=en

Hundreds (maybe thousands?) of posts. Starting back in March and dating all the way until today. Google hasn't been able to resolve the issue. I can tell you that what has always worked for me is a combination of cancel download > disable wifi > disable mobile data > enable mobile data > try download again.

Didn't work? Reboot and repeat. Eventually it will go......

95% of the time your second sugestion works. it may be that gtalk has major issues with stalled downloads but ussually i have this issue when i start my download over wifi for some reason it just never connect to the google server but when i kill the download and connect over 3G or Edge it works everytime on my G1. that's been a documented fix too. this issue only happens more frequently on custom roms than stock android roms. so it's more of a rom issue that googe issue. we're all here to help each other not trash talk each other. from my point of veiw gtalk may have some type of issue but it's more with the rom cooks than the app itself and it's not their fault either gtalk was desighned to work on googles cookie cutter os not on the home brew roms so errors happen you just have to know how to sweat talk your andoid to doing things when issues happen. the problem i had with your post was you only stated the gtalk issue when the wifi issue is more prevelent. i wasn't sure if he was on stock os or custom os so i asked about it. then i would have given him the instructions on turning off the the wifi, killing the downloads, and restarting the phone. like you told him to in the second post cause that seem to work better than the gtalk method.

rigamrts

Apr 12, 2009
I stated clearly on my first post I am on Fresh 1.0 ROM, so everyone would know I was on a custom ROM. ;)

sorry. i did not read your post clearly thought when you said fresh you ment fresh install. haven't really been keeping up with the hero roms to much and thier names still waiting for my eris to get it's turn at root. when i saw your post it just reminded me of how my rooted G1 would not start downloads over wifi. so i asked rooted or not just to be on the safe side.

the thing that got me a little heated was when he said "not to call you out" then he goes into a trist about how wifi seems to be the better fix.

by the way did you get your problem fixxed?

Last edited:

david_ag

Feb 10, 2009
Miami, FL
sorry. i did not read your post clearly thought when you said fresh you ment fresh install. haven't really been keeping up with the hero roms to much and thier names still waiting for my eris to get it's turn at root. when i saw your post it just reminded me of how my rooted G1 would not start downloads over wifi. so i asked rooted or not just to be on the safe side.

the thing that got me a little heated was when he said "not to call you out" then he goes into a trist about how wifi seems to be the better fix.

by the way did you get your problem fixxed?

(Ok,fair enough it can be confusing when i wrote fresh; no worries).

About my problem: Not at all man, I tried every single one of the fixes and no luck. I am thinking about going back to stock and reflashing the custom ROM. I'll report back if/when/how it gets fixed :)

david_ag

Feb 10, 2009
Miami, FL
(Ok,fair enough it can be confusing when i wrote fresh; no worries).

About my problem: Not at all man, I tried every single one of the fixes and no luck. I am thinking about going back to stock and reflashing the custom ROM. I'll report back if/when/how it gets fixed :)

I ended up factory resetting and now everything downloads normally

david_ag

Feb 10, 2009
Miami, FL
So... apps were downloading perfect from market UNTIL I restored a nandroid backup. Afterwards, Apps hang again. I mean exactly after restoring, went to the market and the problem is there again. Can the problem be tied to restoring backups? Or just coincidence?

Update:
Got the downloads working after clearing the cache of every single google application on the phone as well as IM.

After this, started downloading the app and it still hung. Opened gtalk and exactly as it signed in it started downloading fine.

I tried the afore mentioned fixes and had no luck, so for anyone who has this issue and has not been able to resolve it, this is another workaround.

Last edited: