the 4.4.2 update - discussion thread

Search This thread
R

richii0207

Can't wait for this update, I'm taking it in a heartbeat. A shame there's no word on it for Verizon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

ChristianPreachr

May 8, 2011
I no longer see a need to root. So much function is freely given now. The only reason I would root again would be for ad block. That said, break me off a piece of that Kit Kat!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: MedleHed

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Seriously... I don't get it. Those of you that are on SafeStrap mk2 or mj7 are better off staying where you are. You're not missing some huge thing other than saying... Your s4 is on KitKat.
I have a sprint s4 on TW 4.4 and let me tell u...it looks just like TW 4.3.
So keep root..keep SafeStrap and wait and see if the XDA gods can bring root to it first before anything else.
I don't know I guess this kitkat thing is already tickin me off!
Do what you want.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

R

richii0207

What aspect of it are you looking forward to the most?

An update is an update...I enjoy browsing through for new things. It's like flashing a rom? Some people like stock, it's clean and functional :D. Have been rooting and installing roms since my og droid days and this is the first device that I find no need to root to enjoy. It's filled with customizable options and speed.

Last edited:

Tada10

Feb 19, 2013
I am sure Vroot can already root this. I will be updating when its out and root.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

riker147

Jul 11, 2011
Last edited:

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma

Once Verizon sends that OTA this way these forums are going to be littered with alllll sorts of nonsense like the sprint one are now. Trying to talk people down from the ledge after they Odin mk2 once they see they really don't like kitkat.... seriously it's been happening all day over there lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have no experience with finding exploits or any other magical feats, but I was wondering how this all works. I tried to search for the info but the actual process to find exploits was lacking. Could you explain a little or point me in the right place? Also, how could I get get a look at bootloader etc. files? Is it something that I can pull from the phone or whatever? Thank for any help you can give.

It's not some "weekend project". The people that do it are extremely good at what they do. And what they do is rip apart kernel code looking for permission escalation exploits. Tools like IDA Pro make it a lot "easier" but it's extremely difficult and tedious work. Once a permission escalation exploit is found, then code has to be written to take advantage of it. That's what the root exploits are....they're pieces of code that execute in a specific way to escalate privs so that the system partition can be written to and the su binary pushed to it. It was difficult before, but, now things like SE Linux and KNOX make it even more difficult....preventing found escalation exploits from actually being used. I've been a software engineer professionally for 19 years and I can tell you this level of reverse engineering is well beyond my capabilities. Dan R is a professional in the field of kernel security. I don't know JCase's background but clearly he's got a good grasp of kernel security, as well. These guys literally spend hours/days/weeks pouring over code to find exploits. And it only gets harder as they're patched when found and measures taken to prevent exploiting them in the first place. I sincerely wish more people had an appreciation of what goes into finding and exploiting permission escalations for root. Maybe then people wouldn't be so hasty to upgrade and start asking "when is root going to be found" an hour later.
    NC5 is on sammobile

Im uploading the no-wipe and full-wipe Odin tars right now
    It's not some "weekend project". The people that do it are extremely good at what they do. And what they do is rip apart kernel code looking for permission escalation exploits. Tools like IDA Pro make it a lot "easier" but it's extremely difficult and tedious work. Once a permission escalation exploit is found, then code has to be written to take advantage of it. That's what the root exploits are....they're pieces of code that execute in a specific way to escalate privs so that the system partition can be written to and the su binary pushed to it. It was difficult before, but, now things like SE Linux and KNOX make it even more difficult....preventing found escalation exploits from actually being used. I've been a software engineer professionally for 19 years and I can tell you this level of reverse engineering is well beyond my capabilities. Dan R is a professional in the field of kernel security. I don't know JCase's background but clearly he's got a good grasp of kernel security, as well. These guys literally spend hours/days/weeks pouring over code to find exploits. And it only gets harder as they're patched when found and measures taken to prevent exploiting them in the first place. I sincerely wish more people had an appreciation of what goes into finding and exploiting permission escalations for root. Maybe then people wouldn't be so hasty to upgrade and start asking "when is root going to be found" an hour later.
    That right there was the most awesome informative answer I've seen on xda in a long time!!
    Everyone stop and think for a second. People will flash this and lose root. We're examining it and thinking of a game plan right now so if you want to keep root sit tight for a bit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    No need for discussion Naddict I got this.

P.S.A

Don't take the update