Logs menu item added: view adbLink/Kodi logs

Download SPMC file menu function added

Double-print of port in logfile corrected

Parallel adb processes functionality restored

ADB Port is not reset when switching OS in preferences: fixed

Root menu removed

http://www.jocala.com

Excellent work Jocala! Can't wait to go home and test it out! :D

A question regarding 2.05 when connecting to multiple devices, when I click Connect sometimes it doesn't connect/appear in the connected devices straight away and I have to close adblink and reopen it and try again, and it then it usually works. This doesn't always happen but it does sometimes so was wondering if you had any ideas why? do I need to give it a few seconds before I click Connect once I select a different device?

Edit: the first device always connects first time, its the devices after the first that sometimes don't appear straight away

Last edited:

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
Excellent work Jocala! Can't wait to go home and test it out! :D

A question regarding 2.05 when connecting to multiple devices, when I click Connect sometimes it doesn't connect/appear in the connected devices straight away and I have to close adblink and reopen it and try again, and it then it usually works. This doesn't always happen but it does sometimes so was wondering if you had any ideas why? do I need to give it a few seconds before I click Connect once I select a different device?

Edit: the first device always connects first time, its the devices after the first that sometimes don't appear straight away

That's odd, check your log for clues if it happens again. BTW, next time you see lag, try pressing the Refresh ADB button.

christoophat

May 20, 2011
SoCal
Installed 2.07 yesterday & used it to:
update SPMC to 16.5, and also to move my data files over to the SD card. Very cool! We watched movies using it last night , everything was fine.
This morning however, now when I try to use SPMC, it won't boot. Have tried restarting AFTV2 several times, but am seeing the same results. I'm kind of lost here on what else it could be, since I didn't change anything , and it worked yesterday. The only difference was using AdbLink. If I wanted to wipe everything & start over, will adblink uninstall SPMC AND also remove the data folder for me? thanks

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
Installed 2.07 yesterday & used it to:
update SPMC to 16.5, and also to move my data files over to the SD card. Very cool! We watched movies using it last night , everything was fine.
This morning however, now when I try to use SPMC, it won't boot. Have tried restarting AFTV2 several times, but am seeing the same results. I'm kind of lost here on what else it could be, since I didn't change anything , and it worked yesterday. The only difference was using AdbLink. If I wanted to wipe everything & start over, will adblink uninstall SPMC AND also remove the data folder for me? thanks

You can un-install SPMC with adbLink or the AFTV launcher, however, you'll need to
wipe your external sdcard clean manually and delete the /sdcard/xbmc_env.properties file, or
use adbLink to move your data back prior to SPMC deletion.

adbLink uses the Android "pm uninstall" command to uninstall apps and while it
will delete the default SPMC data area, it doesn't know about the redirect that
the xbmc_env.properties file creates, telling SPMC that its data is located
elsewhere.

christoophat

May 20, 2011
SoCal
You can un-install SPMC with adbLink or the AFTV launcher, however, you'll need to
wipe your external sdcard clean manually and delete the /sdcard/xbmc_env.properties file, or
use adbLink to move your data back prior to SPMC deletion.

adbLink uses the Android "pm uninstall" command to uninstall apps and while it
will delete the default SPMC data area, it doesn't know about the redirect that
the xbmc_env.properties file creates, telling SPMC that its data is located
elsewhere.
Figuring I needed to just wipe & start over, I first tried uninstalling it via adblink, but it couldn't seem to find it in the list of installed .apks for me to attempt it, so ended up doing it thru AFTV. During the process, it noted that all data related to the app would also be removed, and I notice the SD now is showing about 2GB more available that when SPMC was installed, so...did it also take out the data folders too (which were about 2.1 GB when I moved them?
Just confused as to why it was working fine last night, but not today...oh well.
Update: I pulled the SD card & looked at it in my PC, and indeed it appears that AFTV does also remove the linked data files from SPMC. All I saw on the card were the normal Android folders

Last edited:

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
Figuring I needed to just wipe & start over, I first tried uninstalling it via adblink, but it couldn't seem to find it in the list of installed .apks for me to attempt it, so ended up doing it thru AFTV. During the process, it noted that all data related to the app would also be removed, and I notice the SD now is showing about 2GB more available that when SPMC was installed, so...did it also take out the data folders too (which were about 2.1 GB when I moved them?
Just confused as to why it was working fine last night, but not today...oh well.

Unfortunately, the search filter for uninstalls is broken (working on a fix for 2.08). However, scrolling through the list and selecting com.semperpax.spmc will delete SPMC. It's easy to miss a package name when browsing through the list, though.

In my tests, deleting Kodi/SPMC when data has been moved to external locations, does not delete the moved data. It must be done manually. Also, as I mentioned, the /sdcard/xbmc_env.properties file is also left behind. This file will cause problems for a new install if it's not deleted.

adbLiink is mainly just a front-end for Android SDK's adb. No software is bug-free, but I haven't encountered any issues with moving Kodi/SPMC data via adbLink vs doing the same thing manually using the Android SDK.

christoophat

May 20, 2011
SoCal
Unfortunately, the search filter for uninstalls is broken (working on a fix for 2.08). However, scrolling through the list and selecting com.semperpax.spmc will delete SPMC. It's easy to miss a package name when browsing through the list, though.

In my tests, deleting Kodi/SPMC when data has been moved to external locations, does not delete the moved data. It must be done manually. Also, as I mentioned, the /sdcard/xbmc_env.properties file is also left behind. This file will cause problems for a new install if it's not deleted.

adbLiink is mainly just a front-end for Android SDK's adb. No software is bug-free, but I haven't encountered any issues with moving Kodi/SPMC data via adbLink vs doing the same thing manually using the Android SDK.
Yes, I'm sure I missed it (kept looking for "spmc" versus semperpax). Anyways, I reformatted the SD card & have reinstalled SPMC using adblink & am rebuilding Movies database, then will move data folder to SD, then continue to rescan TV Shows & Music files. Was time for a refresh anyways, as I've moved my files to a dedicated NAS box & wanted to rescan from the new locaiton.

irokutwo

Jan 12, 2015
I can confirm that the Mi Box does not allow for Network Debugging. Utilizing Minimal ADB and Fast Boot with USB Debugging turned on in the Mi Box while connected to a PC via male to male USB cable did the trick. It's a bit of a PIA but I really enjoy having SPMC Launcher over the stock Leanback Launcher.

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
I can confirm that the Mi Box does not allow for Network Debugging. Utilizing Minimal ADB and Fast Boot with USB Debugging turned on in the Mi Box while connected to a PC via male to male USB cable did the trick. It's a bit of a PIA but I really enjoy having SPMC Launcher over the stock Leanback Launcher.

Thank you for the report. Using adbLink with the male->male USB cable will work as well.

christoophat

May 20, 2011
SoCal
Man, I don't know what is going on here, again SPMC refuses to open after a fresh install using ablink, scanning Movies, set up skin. Then tried to exit, screen froze, had to pull power. Rebooted, and now have same issue, only shows grey screen. Even updated to the latest apk (16.5.1) whack! I posted issue on Github.
One thing I noticed is that after I'd scanned my movies to build up a data file & went into adblink to try & move it to SD card, abdlink said it already existed?

Last edited:

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
Man, I don't know what is going on here, again SPMC refuses to open after a fresh install using ablink, scanning Movies, set up skin. Then tried to exit, screen froze, had to pull power. Rebooted, and now have same issue, only shows grey screen. Even updated to the latest apk (16.5.1) whack! I posted issue on Github.
One thing I noticed is that after I'd scanned my movies to build up a data file & went into adblink to try & move it to SD card, abdlink said it already existed?

Sorry to hear that. It will be interesting to hear what Koying has to say.

christoophat

May 20, 2011
SoCal
Sorry to hear that. It will be interesting to hear what Koying has to say.
May try reinstalling 16.4 again , just to see what happens.
I was wondering why I couldn't move the data file, or rather why adblink said that /sdcard/xbmc_env.properties already existed? If SPMC/Kodi is installed or moved to the SD card right afterwards (before and media scanning is done), will the data file automatically reside on the SD card? I know when I used it yesterday to move data, it worked, moving over 2GB to SD.:confused:

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
May try reinstalling 16.4 again , just to see what happens.
I was wondering why I couldn't move the data file, or rather why adblink said that /sdcard/xbmc_env.properties already existed? If SPMC/Kodi is installed or moved to the SD card right afterwards (before and media scanning is done), will the data file automatically reside on the SD card? I know when I used it yesterday to move data, it worked, moving over 2GB to SD.:confused:

adbLink checks for /sdcard/xbmc_env.properties before it does a move. If it exists, it thinks the move has already been done.

In my tests, moving Kodi to SD via AFTV settings does not move data. Settings warns that some apps display this behavior.

christoophat

May 20, 2011
SoCal
adbLink checks for /sdcard/xbmc_env.properties before it does a move. If it exists, it thinks the move has already been done.

In my tests, moving Kodi to SD via AFTV settings does not move data. Settings warns that some apps display this behavior.
So would you say the best process would be to install SPMC/Kodi, then scan media, then move SPMC/Kodi to SD card via AFTV, and finally move datafiles to SD card via abdlink?
Currently have 16.4.2 installed on AFTV via ESExplorer and am scanning media now. I closed it & reopened it & it worked, so ...fingers crossed.

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
So would you say the best process would be to install SPMC/Kodi, then scan media, then move SPMC/Kodi to SD card via AFTV, and finally move datafiles to SD card via abdlink?
Currently have 16.4.2 installed on AFTV via ESExplorer and am scanning media now. I closed it & reopened it & it worked, so ...fingers crossed.

Personally, I don't see the point of moving the Kodi app to sd. You only save a whopping 120Mb or so.

christoophat

May 20, 2011
SoCal
Still confused

OK, so I want to move just the SPMC data over to SD card. I opened adblink, connect, click move Kodi Data, but then all I see it the attached. What does that mean?

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
OK, so I want to move just the SPMC data over to SD card. I opened adblink, connect, click move Kodi Data, but then all I see it the attached. What does that mean?

adbLink checks for /sdcard/xbmc_env.properties before it does a move. If it exists, it thinks the move has already been done. You need to delete it, before you move your data again.

You can use the delete button after selecting sdcard or you can use the ADB Shell button and paste the following into the console

Code:
rm  /sdcard/xbmc_env.properties

Reactions: christoophat

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    04/12/24

Version 6.1

File manager dialog geometry saved between sessions.

Start program dialog: The Start program choice is now saved between sessions

Stop program dialog: The Stop program choice is now saved between sessions

Send text to device: Send text string to active input field on connected device

Quest headset (beta): Change various settings on the Quest headset. Tested with Quest 2/3. Changes are not persistent, and are cleared by rebooting the device.
    There are videos:

And help pages:

More help links at jocala.com and help within the adblink program itself. Have a look, feel free to post questions about anything you need clairification on.
    @jocala , the first thing I do when opening File Manager in adbLink is resize the window to a much larger size. Would it be possible to add an option/setting that would allow for the saving/remembering of the last window size for such windows? Thanks.

TBH, I don't know. I'll look into it.
    Hello all, please forgive me but I’ve never used adblink before yesterday. I was using filezilla and es file explorer to move my build around my devices. I recently acquired a new firestick, that has the android data file locked and my ild way of transferring my build isn’t working anymore. I tried using adblink to move my build from a windows laptop to the new firestick but couldn’t figure out how. Couldn’t really find any tutorials for a noob like myself. I would appreciate any help I can get. I’m running adblink version 6.0 thanks again 🙏

Edit one: I feel dumb for posting this but do I have to connect my laptop to adblink? Or is it considered connected since I have it installed? If I do have to connect it how do I do that? I managed to connect my new fire stick to it. But when I tried to connect my laptop it wasn’t working.
    Hi, My knowledge using Abdlink is limited, but yes you do need to connect each firestick to to abdlink via your FS network ip address. from your laptop.
    04/12/24

Version 6.1

File manager dialog geometry saved between sessions.
    Confirmed that this is working as-anticipated. Thanks for the quick inclusion.
    adbLink is a companion program for Kodi.

It works with Kodi for Windows, Mac,Linux and Android

Global Features

Manage multiple Kodi devices from one PC
    Edit XML and other files on your devices
    Clone Kodi setups to new devices
    Backup/Restore Kodi setups
    Custom Cache Support for Kodi
    Log file viewer for adbLink/Kodi logs
    Hyperlinked HTML Help

Android Features

Install Programs without Android SDK
    ADB/Fastboot enabled command-line
    Busybox for root and non-root
    Built-in WIFI/USB remote
    Move Kodi data to external drives
    Manage devices via USB or IP address
    Root-aware File Manager
    Install/Uninstall Apps

adbLink is available for Windows, macOS and Linux/ChromeOS

adbLink 3.6 released

adbLink v 3.6 released

/sdcard, /data/local/tmp, & /storage
    added to presets for file manager

Activity indicator for local restores
    now properly resets when job is done.

File manager checks that preset
    or ad hoc path exists prior to
    directory change via go button.

Android Debug Bridge updated
    Version 1.0.39 - 0.0.1-4500957

File manager updated to work with
    adb v1.0.39

Fastboot updated
    Version 0.0.1-4500957

08/08/22

adbLink 5.1 release

Internal script directory made
    uniform for all architectures.

Terminal selection expanded.
    Preferences now allows you to
    choose Windows Terminal or
    Command Prompt for Windows,
    Terminal or iTerm for macOS,
    and Gnome Terminal, KDE Console
    or XFCE4 Terminal for Linux.

Initial support for Intel ChromeOS.
    Tested with ChromeOS Flex.

adbLink 3.1 released

adbLink 3.1 changelog 05/01/17

The file manager is now root-aware. Perform common file management
    functions (copy,move,rename,mkdir,etc) on the /system and /data
    partitions if your device is rooted.

When upgrading adbLink versions, data is preserved. Tested
    with adbLink 2.04 and up.

The database and log files are now stored in a standard
    directory located in the user's $HOME. Mac users can
    now run adbLink without admin privileges.

The progress bar activity indicator is back.

Devices can be accessed on an ad hoc basis: double-clicking
    a USB serial number or entering an IP address on-the-fly
    allows interaction with the device w/o first creating
    a device record. In this case, Kodi defaults are assumed.

Notification messages: toast-style messages or normal style is
    now a preference, with normal set as default.

A global folder location for files copied from your device
    is set to your system $HOME. Changed to a global location of your
    preference, or overridden by a per-device preference in a
    device record.

Keypad now uses device address as dialog title

Log filename defaults to kodi.log or spmc.log depending on
    configuration

System help updated

New video for adbLink v3.1 will be available later this week.