Modified Droid X Keyboard by WJD

Search This thread

yourfriendwayned

Apr 30, 2010
content___media_external_images_media_6981.jpg
content___media_external_images_media_6983.jpg
content___media_external_images_media_6982.jpg

UPDATE: Updated to show all white keys where needed

Alright, so I was bored and feeling productive… as you see that is a good thing! I have redone the original Droid X multi touch keyboard to a better black version with a special Droid Eye style voice level meter (that works so well!) This version only has been tested on the Droid X 2.2 Deodexed Rom so feel free to test it for your own device – I will go ahead and tell you how to load this on your device below….

below....

GRAB BOTH Files HERE with other MODS

*UPDATED METHOD*

1. Download Zip from website above....
2. Place on SD Card of device
3. Boot into recovery (clockwork recovery or other custom recovery)
4. Install Zip from SD Card
5. Locate "WJDKeyboardMod.zip.zip" and click install
6. Reboot and ENJOY :)

-If that didn't work try this!

*The working way I done it requires you to grab “root explorer” via the market - or any other methods ;)*

Grab APK from site above....

1. Grab Apk and Throw it on your SD Card
2. Open Root Explorer and navigate to /system/apps/
3. Rename LatinIME.apk to LatinIME.bak (this will back it up in case of any problems so you can revert back to stock)
4. Navigate to your SD Card via Root Explorer
5. Long press “DroidX_Multi_WJD.apk” and click copy
6. Navigate back to /system/apps/ via Root Explorer
7. Rename “DroidX_Multi_WJD.apk” to “LatinIME.apk” then reboot or power cycle your device
8. When device loads open Root Explorer
9. Navigate to /system/apps/
10. Tap “LatinIME.apk and click install
11. Once installed go to your devices “settings” then to “Language & Keyboard
12. Check the box next to “Multi-touch Keyboard” and make sure that is the selected input method
13. Enjoy :)

*Some multi touch keyboards floating around are not done well - you will notice the "&" symbol on most are "&" instead and float of the key - this and many other incorrect coding - so I fixed it up in this one and made sure all the keys were correct woohoo*

Last edited:

nitsuj17

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 24, 2010
PA
awesome job on the keyboard, thanks! swype is my primary but i d/l this for use in terminal emulator etc.

btw, what theme are you using? it looks like a black version of vanilla android

Aug 26, 2009
South Ga.
Ok, I used terminal emulator to mount the system rw then I renamed LatinIME.apk to .bak, then copied the new LatinIME.apk into the system/app/ directory, rebooted, was unable to install from Astro (don't have root explorer, no money right now), it only gives me the option to uninstall. Help please.

yourfriendwayned

Apr 30, 2010
Alright guys - updated new easier method - enjoy the KB - I can't currently customize the KB for anyone right now since this is actually part of a ROM I am currently in the works with but as you can see from my slight contributions, I am legit and wanted to get that out - since we all know I don't want to J$#% yah lol

Wanted to spread the love :)

h0mewreck3r

Aug 26, 2010
WJDDesigns Modified Keyboard

Installed they keyboard. Very nice look. Especially like the droid “eye” mic input with sound level.

Kudos to WJDDesigns!

yourfriendwayned

Apr 30, 2010
Ok, used zip method, I have transparent keyboard in landscape but still not transparent in portrait...?

This maybe just the screen your on - try holding down the menu button while on homescreen - this will show trans on both landscape and portrait - some screens bring up a white bg to the keyboard so it isn't trans and I would have to edit those apps as well....

Aug 26, 2009
South Ga.
This maybe just the screen your on - try holding down the menu button while on homescreen - this will show trans on both landscape and portrait - some screens bring up a white bg to the keyboard so it isn't trans and I would have to edit those apps as well....

Ok, your right. I was testing in the browser, assumed if it worked anywhere it would be there, lol. Tested again in the notepad widget and it's all good.

BB2DX

Jul 24, 2010
Any chance of an identical (or as close as possible) theme for swype? Like a lot, swype is my primary keyboard.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

blu1080

Aug 14, 2009
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for! Nice work!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

MXMike

Aug 20, 2010
Atlanta
Very nice...love it! Just a little thing I noticed is the space bar still has a grey symbol not white like the others...not a big deal though

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

rezistrat

Feb 5, 2009
Yes, whats the one with the Camera icon on it. I want this.

Never mind it's tweet deck

Last edited: