Lumia 900 Headphone Compatability

Search This thread

kkrull

Mar 3, 2006
As a thank you to everyone who submitted input on this topic I created the attached spreadsheet. Let me know if I have any information wrong.

------------------------------------------------------

(Original Post)

I have a pair of Skullcandy Aviators, which other than listening in stereo have no functionality. I am curious about other Skullcandy and other branded headphones. I would appreciate it if anyone would chime in with their own headphone experiences:

SKULLCANDY AVIATORS
Stereo music - yes
Stereo (dual-mono) calls - yes
Mic - no
Track skip - no
Track rewind - no
Volume up - no
Volume down - no
Call pickup - no
Call hangup - no

Last edited:

Seed 2.0

Oct 26, 2010
OH-IO
The Nokia Purity by Monster in ear work for:

Mic: Yes
Vol: Yes
Play/Pause: Yes
Call pickup - Yes
Call hangup - Yes
Master Search: Yes (Hold center button down) Make calls, search, open app, etc..

But sound bad for anything not based centered.

waltah!

May 29, 2009
The over the ear Purity HD's sound pretty decent. More natural and not as bass heavy as Beats. They are made to control everything listed above.

937dytboi

Jul 30, 2007
Dayton, Ohio
I have the bowers and Wilkins p5. The inline buttons didn't work for my dvp and I doubt it will be any different for the lumia 900 since the b&w were geared for iPhones. But I will try and give my feedback here soon. I think the only thing that worked on my dvp and the b&w were Te mute button. I could receive a call but they couldn't hear me.

I have been trying to contact monster so I can ge a replacement inline cable from their HD purity. Cut the inline control off of that and fan my own to work with the b&w

Sent from my Lumia 900 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

jmerrey

Aug 28, 2010
I have the purity hd on-ear (not the in-ear), and the inline remote only works fully when the phone is unlocked, or on the lockscreen but not asleep. When the phone is asleep the volume will work all the time, the single press pause/play will work about 50% of the time, and the next/previous double/triple press works about 10% of the time. Needless to say, I'm amazingly upset about this. I'm taking them to the AT&T store in the morning to see if it's just my phone or all lumia 900's. Since this problem is amazingly similar to the problem I had with my Focus S, I'm suspicious to say the least.

A guy on wpcentral.com said the in-ears work completely all the time.

hdskifreak

Feb 28, 2007
B & W C5: No workie

I was seduced by the B&W C5 and they have the iphone only disease.
The sound is just about perfect, which is why is so disappointing.
The worst part is that the connector layout not only prevents the in line mic from working, but the handset mic as well, so it's a 22X killer!

Play controls work
Volume control does NOT work
Mic does NOT work

naplesbill

Jun 13, 2008
The headphones I have from my Titan work perfectly. Play, Volume, and Mic all work. Even on the lock screen.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jdigital007

Aug 29, 2007
Chicago
www.jdigital007.com
I picked up the over the ears on launch at ATT and returned them the next day. I purchased the in-ears from amazon and LOVE them.

Sound quality is good on both. I just did not like the over the ear feel and the controls did not work very well on them. I thought they were uncomfortable after a few hours of wear and had a terrible whistle from the wind.

The in ears are one of the best pairs of in-ears I have had. I am comparing them to SKull Candy and Ultimate ears.

They also match the phone rather nice and both have a really nice cord that wont tangle.

Also- The headphones that came with my Focus worked 100% with all the controls and dont sound too bad either. The Purity are way better. Worth the $100 price tag and Amazon overnighted them to me for only $3. Free 2 day shipping with prime.

jmerrey

Aug 28, 2010
Ditto for the purity in-ears here. They sound pretty good, and the controller works perfectly. I have no idea why the purity on-ears controller is so spotty, but whatever.
My only complaint is that the flat cable makes it difficult to wrap behind/over the ears to eliminate the thump bump, but otherwise I'm liking them alot.

jdigital007

Aug 29, 2007
Chicago
www.jdigital007.com
Best way to describe it is inconsistent. The double tap, next track is the worst. Seems like volume control and phone answer is very consistent. As many others have posted, it may be a known bug when the phone is asleep when people are affected. My Samsung focus headphones worked better than the purity so take it for what its worth. Still very happy with the in -ear. Over the ear not as much but a majority of that is personal preferance. I still thing controls worked better on in ear model though. Only had over hear for one day to compare.

KonAitor

May 29, 2008
I use my old headset from the Focus, and I too have the issue with the track controls not working when the screen is off. I use the feature a lot when walking to class. I hate having to keep taking my phone in and out of my picket, or pressing the button over and over until it does what it needs to.

misterlim

Jun 4, 2010
las vegas
Hey guys I just got a set of Nokia bh-111 Bluetooth earphones but unfortunately I'm unable to make or receive calls. Though I can use all audio controls and even do voice to text? If anyone can chime in and help me out it would be appreciated!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Red Grenadine

Dec 23, 2010
Best way to describe it is inconsistent. The double tap, next track is the worst. Seems like volume control and phone answer is very consistent. As many others have posted, it may be a known bug when the phone is asleep when people are affected. My Samsung focus headphones worked better than the purity so take it for what its worth. Still very happy with the in -ear. Over the ear not as much but a majority of that is personal preferance. I still thing controls worked better on in ear model though. Only had over hear for one day to compare.

I have this issue. Got a replacement and same issue so I'm thinking its a phone problem

jhoff80

Apr 8, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I'm curious if you're trying only with the screen off, or with it on as well.

For me, all of the buttons except for the power button work very inconsistently with the screen off: the volume buttons on the phone, the camera button, and the headset button. They work 100% of the time with the screen on. I think it's just a software bug when the screen is off.

Also, other than the above issue, I believe that any single-button iPhone compatible headset should work. That's been my experience with three different headsets, the Etymotic hf2, the Phonak PFE122, and the Meelec M6P. Three-button iPhone headsets will not work because they do something proprietary.

Bighurk

Aug 14, 2010
California
I currently have a set of Nokia earphones that came with my old Nokia N8 and the controls on the earphones does not work. Even the sound is not full compatible... My other pair of ear phones that came with my Samsung Galaxy Player 5 works perfectly.

dfkd

Jan 30, 2009
I got a pair of Bose MIE2i which are technically designed for iDevices and nothing worked except holding the middle button to invoke speech. But the mic didn't work so even that was useless. Button presses resulted in a weird click in the headphones too.

Exchanged today for the Bose MIE2 designed for 'everything else' and initially it wasn't working and then it was. Like there's a delay before the phone sees and starts working with them.

I may exchange again if the iPhone ones will work the same so I can use it on my iPad with the volume controls.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

Addendum:

After some testing I'm finding that I have plug in and remove the headphones repeatedly until I hear a little click through the headphones. At that point the button on my headphones will control the music and speech recognition correctly.
Also, when the button works, the mic does too.

I'm finding this pattern on both my HD2 and my Lumia 900 so that kinda points at a WP7 issue.

Could a few of you with buttons that don't work try this out and see if it changes for you as well? Annoying but at least it opens an option (with some work).

Last edited:

aarondr

Nov 5, 2010
ht tp: //w ww.bhpho tovideo.com/c/prod uct/834115-REG/Fiio_LU1_LU1_Smart_Adapter_ Cable.h tml

Has anyone tried this adapter with a Windows Phone?

Ordered it. We'll give it a shot and see. I have a pair of Klipsch Image One over the ear that I love. I hope I get mic back with this. Awesome (pipe dream) if volume worked.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Reloop RHP-5

So it turns out that the Reloop RHP-5 (http://www.reloop.com/reloop-rhp-6) call answer button and microphone work fine with the windows phone.

Does anyone else have another Reloop model? I would prefer the more expensive Reloop models but I prefer a more subdued color scheme than even the black and dark gray RHP-5.

There are other headphones that have minimal functionality. Astro gaming headphones mic works on some Windows phones for example. Anyone know of any other wired headphones that work well?

Volume is manual on those Reloop headphones and there are no forward and back buttons. The microphone "pod" is pretty big but the quality seems really good.