Camera shootout

Search This thread

SEFanX10i

Oct 26, 2010
Pune

sonic_boom

May 20, 2010
Dublin
I have seen this article yesterday, I dont know what's going on but. I had chance to play with IPhone 4g and HTC ONE X cameras and I have to say that my SONY XPERIA S is the winner. Whoever made this macro picture with bananas for XPS _ completely f **** it. For me this looks like an anti -Sony competition ...

Sent from my LT26i using XDA

shmoejoe

Jan 9, 2011
Zuid-Holland
Hmm...

I always take these photo reviews with a grain of salt. It is really the reviewers who make/break these sort of reviews.

He doesn't say whether he uses Auto-Mode, or anything like that. With standard settings I feel you aren't even capable of reviewing a camera properly...they leave it all up to the auto-mode to decide what settings to use.

Oh well, I know my Xperia S takes amazing pictures in comparison to most of those devices, that's all that matters to me, regardless of the random negative reviews here and there :).

SEFanX10i

Oct 26, 2010
Pune
True. I am surprised to see such horrible photos taken with the Xperia S. XS can do much better than what the author managed. Pretty sure he used auto mode and didn't let the phone focus properly. Or maybe messed up the settings to make it seem worse.

tel033

Apr 4, 2012
Have you already tried any photos with low light.. they are pretty noisy i think the flash its not very good .. i mean my satio did better

optik19918

Jan 3, 2012
München
Hmm...

I always take these photo reviews with a grain of salt. It is really the reviewers who make/break these sort of reviews.

He doesn't say whether he uses Auto-Mode, or anything like that. With standard settings I feel you aren't even capable of reviewing a camera properly...they leave it all up to the auto-mode to decide what settings to use.

Oh well, I know my Xperia S takes amazing pictures in comparison to most of those devices, that's all that matters to me, regardless of the random negative reviews here and there :).

fully agree there is full of fanboys with no respect for the tecnology look at this video for example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A33-6M-XChs&feature=related

Sent from my LT26i using xda premium

a4rocks

Jun 27, 2009
Kolkata
www.indiastudychannel.com
Bad review I must say. I wonder if companies are paying reviewers to bash another company's product and make them less appealing. I find the iPhone 4S pics quite colour accurate but the Xperia S has much more detail and gives me perfect pictures. I seem to use my dSLR less since I got the S. I don't like HTC One X's camera. Just not as good. One reason I didn't consider it. Though I am not sure about S3. If it's close to S2's camera unit, I can crown my Xperia S as the winner :D

Sent from my wonderful Xperia S

tel033

Apr 4, 2012
That seems to be a software problem

Any tip or solution?

Bad review I must say. I wonder if companies are paying reviewers to bash another company's product and make them less appealing. I find the iPhone 4S pics quite colour accurate but the Xperia S has much more detail and gives me perfect pictures. I seem to use my dSLR less since I got the S. I don't like HTC One X's camera. Just not as good. One reason I didn't consider it. Though I am not sure about S3. If it's close to S2's camera unit, I can crown my Xperia S as the winner :D

Sent from my wonderful Xperia S
Can you upload some pics in low light please I'm having problems in normal conditions camera is great although sometimes a bit of noise but in low light AF problem but the worst is noise

nit

Jul 8, 2007
Hong Kong
Any tip or solution?

Can you upload some pics in low light please I'm having problems in normal conditions camera is great although sometimes a bit of noise but in low light AF problem but the worst is noise

The noise is caused by the small (better say tiny) light sensor on the phone. Sony makes the best sensor. I don't think any other phone uses better sensor than XS.

Photos from some phones "looks" better because they apply a stronger software noise reduction than SX does or they have a bigger apperture (e.g. HTC One X has F2.0 compare to F2.4 in XS). My solution to this is to apply noise reduction after I've loaded the photos to my PC using Lightroom.

tel033

Apr 4, 2012
Any way to applied it in the phone not in pc? Better is there a software to reduce the noise before shooting? You said that it's sensor was good but tiny right? So is it hardware problem ? Or software? Or both?

Efe64

Mar 14, 2012
Brussel
Sony Xperia 1
Sony Xperia 1 III
Wow!
Hold on!

Just one picture and tooken with auto mode and this whole review...?

What the hell is this. This doesnt even makes sense...
This is more like:
Hey buddy im bored, let pick up some phones and take pictures and put it on internet.
So "we" can read it and discuss it so they can laugh their ass of...

In another threats .. With no "auto" mode they made few compares...
Different stages, scenes etc...

The xs came the best out.. It just beat all of them..
4s to s2(whens3 was not out)
Every high end smart phone.. But doesnt mind..

keithwalton

Nov 6, 2010
Southampton
The original review work comes from the mobile reviewer at cnet. Having read her reviews in the past she is very apple biased and seems unable to operate phones correctly.
In her original review of the xperia s (put up against iphone 4) she complained about the xs' camera taking 'letterbox' photos and that she prefered the iphones 4/3 images. If she'd of bothered to hit the menu button when using the camera she'd of found it was set to 9mp 16/9 and that a couple of clicks would of then set it to 12mp 4/3.
So dont expect her to have used anything but full auto mode.

The manual options in the xs' camera are great with things like target iso, and multi point auto focus.
If only they'd bothered to include the jpeg compression options as the default level dratically over compresses images and introduces artifacts.

Also on her low light test (and most of the tests tbh) ... the iphones colours look artificially over saturated (post process) the noise level on the iphone is also horrific yet she complains at the rest!
It's also funny to see her complaining about the iso effect, its probably because the xs and gs3 can change there iso and the rest cant! Try having some movement in the image and then see how well the iphone copes.

What is also funny is that the images have all been resized for web display, having 50% more pixels to start with gives you more options for post processing and thus noise reduction

Last edited:
Reactions: heart_of_life

tel033

Apr 4, 2012
So if we could adjust the jpeg compression the noise would be reduce right?

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
The noise is caused by the small (better say tiny) light sensor on the phone.

That's not strictly true, the noise comes from the software raising ISO in low light, all sensors from the tiny ones in a phone to a full frame 35mm one will suffer from noise as the ISO is raised. Its just that the bigger the sensor the higher the ISO needs to before it to become a problem.

If noise is a problem then just use Neat Image, nothing comes close to it http://www.neatimage.com/

pixy132

Apr 1, 2012
The noise in this camera is not particularly bad, tbh in low light every digital camera will have noise because of the use of higher ISO. I think the 12mp sensor also make the noise more visible...I'm not sure about the technical details though...

keithwalton

Nov 6, 2010
Southampton
The basic gist of iso levels is as follows.

For a given amount of light hitting the sensor (metered) an exposure duration is determined.

Increasing the iso level decreases the exposure time for the same amount of light.
A shorter exposure time reduces the signal to noise ratio significantly, but it also reduces motion blur. Noise can be post processed, blur not so much.

My old nokia n95 would have exposure times of over 2 seconds in low light conditions, chance that everything remained totally motionless in this time is very small!

The exposure duration is usually stored in the exif file, I hope her original files kept all this sort of info!

The xs' camera has potential because we can change the target iso value (though compared to a still camera they're still low) we can also change the metering method as well. I haven't seen either of these features before in a phone camera.
The only thing we are missing is the ability manually specifiy exposure duration.

You are also correct in that the higher pixel density of a sensor the higher probabiltiy of noise.
Ability to take raw photo's or 100% quality jpegs would be nice (people have done mods to enable 100% jpeg quality, but I cant root my phone at present to test it as i use sky go)

Edit - Just checked the exif info on the 'original full size' images and its been wiped :( file sizes are interesting though.
GS3 - 2.1mb, IP4 - 2.6mb, 1X - 1.5mb, XS - 2.0mb

Have just noticed all the 1x pics are 6 megapixel images in 16:9 format which seems suspicious to me. But it says it all for the XS when it has a smaller file size than the GS3 and IP4 yet 50% more pixels.

Rough rule of thumb is that you need at least 1/2mb per megapixel to avoid any degradation on a full image (ie no patches of black or white)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The original review work comes from the mobile reviewer at cnet. Having read her reviews in the past she is very apple biased and seems unable to operate phones correctly.
    In her original review of the xperia s (put up against iphone 4) she complained about the xs' camera taking 'letterbox' photos and that she prefered the iphones 4/3 images. If she'd of bothered to hit the menu button when using the camera she'd of found it was set to 9mp 16/9 and that a couple of clicks would of then set it to 12mp 4/3.
    So dont expect her to have used anything but full auto mode.

The manual options in the xs' camera are great with things like target iso, and multi point auto focus.
    If only they'd bothered to include the jpeg compression options as the default level dratically over compresses images and introduces artifacts.

Also on her low light test (and most of the tests tbh) ... the iphones colours look artificially over saturated (post process) the noise level on the iphone is also horrific yet she complains at the rest!
    It's also funny to see her complaining about the iso effect, its probably because the xs and gs3 can change there iso and the rest cant! Try having some movement in the image and then see how well the iphone copes.

What is also funny is that the images have all been resized for web display, having 50% more pixels to start with gives you more options for post processing and thus noise reduction
    Literally all other smartphones now use sony's sensor that first appeared on the Xperia arc, iPhone 4s, Samsung S3 etc. The xperia S uses the same sensor but with the advantage of having more megapixels.

I know how megapixels isn't the most important thing and blah blah, but it is really nice to have an image you can zoom in and have good clarity still. Plus if I want to shoot in 16:9 mode I have a nice 9MP resolution instead of the 6MP on an 8MP lens.

I do think the XS takes decent photos, the focusing issue some have experienced (me included) is annoying but that aside it does take some good shots.

Then again most new cameraphones take photos which are all of pretty good quality, and comparing them is hard. I suppose the technology is current at its max and until something revolutionary comes along to make it as good as a proper camera I see the whole 'which takes a better shot' kinda silly.
    Well, I am also little dissapointed with the camera. I have made few 720p videos and they are BLURRY, they were made on the grass and on a sunny day. Also, photos inside the house with less light have too much noise. I really dont get that, iPhone has Sony sensor and makes far better photos and videos. Ive had iPhone 4 and SGS II and while Xperia maybe makes better photos than iPhone 4, video is a lot worse,SGS II has far better video, photos are similar quality but man, iPhone 4S makes insanely good videos and photos, I have never seen better camera on the phone to date. I will not buy an iphone, at least not before iPhone 5 but we must be realistic.

Sent from my LT26i

It more or less depends on person to person and what settings they are using. I am using a custom ROM which has modded the camera APK for less compression. Gives me great pictures. The problem lies in the software and I am sure with the ICS upgrade, we will see a much better camera. The sensors in essence are the same, its the software that's making the difference. Though quite a few people have had some focus issues but I haven't had it even once
    noise in pics

Any tip or solution?

DO NOT USE STOCK CAMERA.
    drivers are not optimized.
    Use lgCamera instead. There is zero noise in low light shoots