Getting too hot

Search This thread

chinedu40

Jul 3, 2010
Has anyone experienced that the phone gets warm ( between 30-42 degrees centigrade) even when doing normal tasks like browsing the Web/the screen simply being on? Is this normal? Is there a fix for this if it is not?

TheOnlyIntruder

Jan 13, 2009
Sony Xperia XZ1
Sony Xperia 1 II
Has anyone experienced that the phone gets warm ( between 30-42 degrees centigrade) even when doing normal tasks like browsing the Web/the screen simply being on? Is this normal? Is there a fix for this if it is not?

You'd enjoy using the HTC One X then, normal use it easily reaches 42ºc, extended use and/or heavy use can see the phone reach 55ºc so for me, that's a welcome change.

I should be receiving the Z2 tomorrow anyway so I'll post my findings then.

PiskopatYazar

Feb 7, 2013
Take your phone to the shop. My wife had same issue with her samsung s4 she took it back in 28 days they replaced a new one

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Xernoxis

Jun 6, 2012
Akershus
How is 30 degrees warm? What country do you live in? Because that is a big factor.

Sent fra min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
Yupp unfortunately. It does cool down quickly when the screen is off though so I'm wondering whether it's a design issue and poor heart dissipation

Sent from my D6503 using xda app-developers app
Water resistant coating will always trap more heat inside, maybe that's why Sony uses the slightly lower clocked SD801.

chinedu40

Jul 3, 2010
Water resistant coating will always trap more heat inside, maybe that's why Sony uses the slightly lower clocked SD801.

I think that would be a reasonable assumption.

I guess the only question is whether it's a deal breaker or not.

Does increased temperature effect battery life at all?

soulreaver99

Dec 17, 2007
Pasadena
I noticed this happening recently but on rare occassions. It gets hot right where the camera is located but I'm not sure if it is related to the camera or some other app. I know that it overheats when recording 4K videos over 3 minutes. The quick fix when it heats up is to restart the device so to me it is definitelty software realted.

chinedu40

Jul 3, 2010
Mine gets warm, but not got enough to be a problem so far. I'm in the UK.

Coming from the Galaxy Note 2, when my phone got warm it indicated that there was a problem. Maybe since this is part of the design, with the waterproofing at all, I'll just have to learn to accept that the phone will get a little warm.

On the plus side, it'll be good for the winter, to warm up the hands :p

Strif3

Oct 31, 2013
Well i can asure you that all snapdragon 800 soc overheat and it depends on what you do,my curent device lg G2 when i bought it,it had jellybean on it whne browsing web listening to music etc it always got hot,but when plating games it was a very big overheating ,the procesor got up to 72`C ad baterry was on 42`C and i thought it was a problem with the phone but after updating to kitkat all problems with overheating where gon even in graphinc intense games it took the phone 30 minutes to heat up significantly + on a side note the battery got a lot better i managed 4 hours and 36 minutes of screen time.

Botom line its a software problem coupled with the nano coting(it blocks heat but not in a bad way that the phone will overheat from that maybe a 5`C block).

Reactions: chinedu40

Sensamic

Jul 27, 2010
Overheating is the reason I didn't get the G2.

It overheated doing basic stuff.

It can't be fixed by software. LG certainly didn't release a fix, so don't expect one for the Z2.

When a phone has overheating problems then it will always have it, just like a laptop or any other hardware.

You'll have to deal with it.

Shan89

Oct 23, 2012
Overheating is the reason I didn't get the G2.

It overheated doing basic stuff.

It can't be fixed by software. LG certainly didn't release a fix, so don't expect one for the Z2.

When a phone has overheating problems then it will always have it, just like a laptop or any other hardware.

You'll have to deal with it.

Well not really my m7 used to get warm / hot with 3g or gaming up to 42c after sense 6 it refuses to go above 35c and when gaming up to 39c , so far only known phone that doesn't get hot is the m8. Imo it's tolerable for z2 to stay warmer then other devices , glass isn't the best option for cool phone + sealed phone due water resistance.

Btw yes warm / hot phones have shorter battery life due heat issues , warmer battery = faster discharge rate.

Imo if z2 gets hot only when gaming it's fine, all phones get warm but if it's crossing 37/38c up to 40+ on WiFi and normal usage I'd call that a problem. You can forget the gaming if this is the case lol , at least stable gaming without fps loss and throttle.

chinedu40

Jul 3, 2010
The overheating when using the camera is a bit of a concern, especially since that was one of the main reasons i bought the phone.

Is it definitely software related or hardware?

As if its software i can wait for a fix, but if its hardware then i'll need to swap phones

Sensamic

Jul 27, 2010
After reading other device forums seems like all the Snapdragon 800/801 devices have the overheating issue: SGS5, Z2, G2, etc.

I think it's because the new SoC is so powerful that it generates a lot of heart, especially when gaming.

Maybe the 805 will fix this. Not gonna buy a device with 800/801 because almost all of them have overheating issues.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mine gets warm, but not got enough to be a problem so far. I'm in the UK.

Does increased temperature effect battery life at all?
    Most definitely.
    Well i can asure you that all snapdragon 800 soc overheat and it depends on what you do,my curent device lg G2 when i bought it,it had jellybean on it whne browsing web listening to music etc it always got hot,but when plating games it was a very big overheating ,the procesor got up to 72`C ad baterry was on 42`C and i thought it was a problem with the phone but after updating to kitkat all problems with overheating where gon even in graphinc intense games it took the phone 30 minutes to heat up significantly + on a side note the battery got a lot better i managed 4 hours and 36 minutes of screen time.

Botom line its a software problem coupled with the nano coting(it blocks heat but not in a bad way that the phone will overheat from that maybe a 5`C block).