[ODIN][UCLB3] AT&T 2.3.6 Gingerbread with root and CWM recovery option - Infuse 4g

Search This thread

kinvid

Dec 14, 2007
Long Beach
That said, to clear up some confusion, bootloaders themselves aren't bad. You need them to boot your operating system. Gingerbread bootloaders are desirable to boot Gingerbread and ICS roms on our phones because they were designed to do that - and do that without rainbow bugs that people see when they stay with Froyo bootloaders.

If the majority of us will be flashing Gingerbread and ICS roms, why take out the Gingerbread bootloaders and make it as an optional install which makes it risky for an unfortunate flash if it ever happens?

So what bootloader does these packages comes with? Or are they without bootloaders?

I'm still new in understanding all of these components. So our phones can run these roms without a bootloader or must a bootloader be utilized?

J

jscott30

If the majority of us will be flashing Gingerbread and ICS roms, why take out the Gingerbread bootloaders and make it as an optional install which makes it risky for an unfortunate flash if it ever happens?

So what bootloader does these packages comes with? Or are they without bootloaders?

I'm still new in understanding all of these components. So our phones can run these roms without a bootloader or must a bootloader be utilized?

There are no bootloaders in these rooted UCLB3 packages, so you keep those already on your phone. Only those who have and are bothered by rainbow artifacts at boot and in recovery should update to GB bootloaders. UCLB3 runs fine on Froyo bootloaders other than the rainbow distortion in recovery and at boot. Also, many people already have GB bootloaders. It isn't good practice to flash bootloaders over and over, as a failed flash of bootloaders will brick your phone. Since flashing bootloaders is a risky operation, there is no need for everyone to flash them when using the rooted UCLB3 packages. That's why they have been made available as a separate package.

Some examples:

People who've already used Kies to get the official UCLB3 update - already have GB bootloaders
People who've already flashed an earlier GB leak using Odin or Heimdall - most likely already have GB bootloaders
People who've already been using GB and ICS roms - might have already flashed GB bootloaders

So, it isn't good to have a package that includes them by default, because many won't need them. Better to just flash them separately, and flash them once, because once you've got them, you've got them. Most development packages on xda don't include them for these same reasons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

kinvid

Dec 14, 2007
Long Beach
There are no bootloaders in these rooted UCLB3 packages, so you keep those already on your phone. Only those who are bothered by some rainbow artifacts at boot and in recovery should update to GB bootloaders. Since flashing bootloaders is a risky operation, there is no need for everyone to flash them when using the rooted UCLB3 packages.

I easily rooted my Infuse because it was still on the Froyo 2.2.1. Assuming the phone has FROYO bootloaders, if I was to ODIN flash to one of these Gingerbread 2.3.6 UCLB3 package, my FROYO bootloader will carry on to this rooted UCLB3 package?

My plan is to run my Infuse on a stock but rooted Gingerbread rom for now. Eventually I will move on to custom roms. These custom roms states in their posting that in order to flash the rom, I need to be on Gingerbread bootloaders.

Which flashing methods should I proceed with?

Coming from FROYO:
1. ODIN flash one of these rooted UCLB3 package
2. ODIN flash the Gingerbread bootloader
3. Flash away

or

Coming from FROYO:
1. Update to Gingerbread 2.3.6 through Samsung Kies (thus obtaining Gingerbread bootloaders)
2. ODIN flash one of these rooted UCLB3 package
3. Flash away

THANKS FOR CLARIFYING!

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

LOL..more clarifications, thank you!

J

jscott30

Coming from FROYO:
1. ODIN flash one of these rooted UCLB3 package
2. ODIN flash the Gingerbread bootloader
3. Flash away

This will be your best route. Doing the Odin flash of the rooted UCLB3 package will test whether you can successfully do an Odin flash. If you can, you will be safe to go ahead and flash the GB bootloaders package.

Since it sounds like you want to test out some other ROMS, go ahead and use Option C, which already has CWM recovery.

Last edited:

kinvid

Dec 14, 2007
Long Beach
This will be your best route. Doing the Odin flash of the rooted UCLB3 package will test whether you can successfully do an Odin flash. If you can, you will be safe to go ahead and flash the GB bootloaders package.

Since it sounds like you want to test out some other ROMS, go ahead and use Option C, which already has CWM recovery.

Thanks for giving me a better understanding of all of this. Coming from an iPhone jailbreaker lol...I find Android rooting/flashing to be more involved and challenging.

Another thing, I have Samsung Kies mini installed. Is the Samsung drivers obtained from the Kies mini version adequate for the ODIN flashing or should I go with drivers from the regular Samsung Kies you specified?

J

jscott30

Kies mini drivers should work the same. Good luck.

M4sAREawesome

May 17, 2012
Houston, Texas
Hey guys I need a bit of help. So I'm on Zeus Build 6, right. So I want to flash CM9, which of these should I use? I've downloaded "A", will I still have a safe flash of CM9 if I flash from choice "C"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using xda premium

J

jscott30

If you plan to flash CM9 or any other ROM, you'll need CWM recovery. So you want Option C if you use one of these packages.

Last edited:

M4sAREawesome

May 17, 2012
Houston, Texas
Ok thanks, Ill use option "c" then. I was just skeptical cause option "c" doesn't seem like stock with all the other stuff added.

J

jscott30

And to flash CM9 I have to do it from stock Gingerbread.

You don't have to be on stock Gingerbread to flash CM9, though Option C is based on stock UCLB3 and will be a good platform from which to flash. That isn't a requirement to flash CM9, though.

Last edited:
J

jscott30

Stack on Samsung logo with option "c". Wiped before flashing.
Any advice?

Go into recovery, wipe user data and cache. Reboot. If that doesn't work, you had a bad flash and should start over and try your flash again.

veeRob

Jul 26, 2009
I installed option C. Everything works great, but I was under the impression that the accurate battery mod would show me battery percentage over the icon. Is this not the case?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good Job, bro.
    just wondered ... does enabling lagfix from recovery actually help with speed ... don't totally understand it, but I'm curious about it because voltage control only allows me to max out at 1200 (I was used to getting 1600 in other roms).

lagfix in recovery converts your file systems to ext4 from the default of rfs. ext4 can be faster, especially with some of the more popular tweaks applied.

You can get 1600 via a kernel that implements over clocking.. Check my sig for some options there.

No, lazy is guys like me that take all the hard work all you guys do and use it on our phones with barely any thinking required on our parts.
    Correct. This package uses the stock kernel. That being said is there any interest also in another version w/ Entropy's Daily Driver
    and CWM recovery in this format? I'll have to get Entropy's permission, but can do that also.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

I was curious, mostly.

2 wks ago, I had put together a method to root the UCLB3 when we saw a spike in how to root this thing in the Q/A everyday. It consisted of a cwm-flashable that installed busybox and superuser, then deleted most ATT bloats. And then installed google talk video from the G-Nex.

To get to cwm, I had a Heimdall-1-click of Entropy's DD kernel. I suppose any GB insecure kernel would work too. Entropy's latest would be nice because it would also have HDMI and CWM recovery.
    After the kernel flash, you can boot into recovery and flash the cwm package.
    And then UCLB3 would be "rooted", busybox and SuperUser.apk. Plus some bonuses (Gtalk, Gvoice, Terminal Emulator and minus ATT bloats. :D It was painful but I left Facebook and a few others in place)

Once you started with the Tar for Odin, I made a Heimdall-1-click for this rooted ROM as well. What was odd was that I had corrected the vold.fstab for the external sdcard access, before copying over the factory.rfs.
    After the package was put together, the vold.fstab reverted back to mm2 instead of mm1 for the stock kernel.
    Odd...
    I didn't know if that happened to you or not.

Anyway, imo, I don't think you need to worry about another version with Entropy'd DD, I think most users should be able to use SGS-Kernel flasher to get to cwm.

About the deodex aspect, dman already made up a deodex version...I thought it was odd that others didn't use it. It may also be redundant too, but that's just my opinion.

I think the Odex apk do not make dalvik caches. Thereby, have a fast boot time and less chance of cache corruption. I've been using the odex rooted version with the stock kernel, and have noted an initial lag, but after leaving the phone alone for 20 minutes, it is pretty responsive and snappy.
    This stock rom is missing Lidroid's, Battery mod, and a few other things..but then, after you add those, lol..we are running vagabond, spartan, pharmnerd midagu's etc...

If anyone wants a heimdall 1 click... :)
    Mr. qkster, that anti-Odin talk has no place in this here Odin package thread ;)

And I've thought about making Odin packages with just the various custom kernels and CWM recovery. It would be easy to do, but that would be for another thread. This thread is for rooted UCLB3 packages, and for people who want to use Odin to get rooted UCLB3.

Honestly, more people need to learn how to use the Heimdall suite command line to flash kernels. If that's too hard (and it's not), we can point them to your Heimdall one-click packages (which you just did). :D

Yup, I hear you. Odin and Heimdall drivers use tend to confuse the beginners. I seen a few panicked when they switch method and ball when the device is no longer recognized when they use the same USB port.

But hey, we are all about spoon feeding right? :)

Sent from USA