Blackhole Custom ROM for Vibrant

Search This thread

sonofskywalker3

Jan 22, 2009
Hey guys, I'm a developer on the Samsung Fascinate. I developed the Blackhole Custom rom for it. Basically what Blackhole is, is a stripped-down version of the stock rom with almost nothing pre-installed. After installing the base you are able to select what else you want to install, and what you don't. I'm thinking about branching out some and would like to know if there is anyone interested in something like this for the vibrant. If you want to see some details and feedback from users on the fascinate check out www.androiddoes.net/sonofskywalker3, or the Fascinate development boards here on XDA.

Heres an overview of how it works (on the fascinate, and eventually vibrant if there's anyone who wants me to port it):

Open ROM manager
Select Download ROM
Select Sonofskywalker3
Choose Blackhole Custom ROM
Choose a Bootanimation
Choose a Calendar App
Choose a Desk Clock app
Choose a Kernel
Choose a Launcher
Choose a Theme
Choose any extra programs, mods, live wallpapers, or other extras you want installed with the ROM
Reboot to install

And once it's installed, my section of ROM manager will be full of different flashable options, so if you decide you want to change to something else, you can.

This way you can have a phone with exactly what you want, and nothing else on it, to save space and battery life.

Since I don't have a Vibrant myself I will need a few Beta testers before I can release a public build. So please, if this sounds like something you would want on your phone, let me know. If there's no desire for something like this on the vibrant, just ignore this thread and it will get buried.

Thank you for your time.

Reactions: nnk61209 and c-pimp

Ashex1

Feb 2, 2010
This definitely sounds interesting. I would be happy to participate but I'll be out of the country for a few weeks.

sonofskywalker3

Jan 22, 2009
ok, well there does seem to be some interest, so i'll get to work on this right away. If anyone wants to beta test for me i'll set up an IRC channel on freenode tonight and post the name in here when i'm ready to get started. as i said, I don't have this phone, so the first few versions are very likely to not work =) only join me if you are ready, willing and able to download and flash several attempts, understand ADB and odin (Just in case), and have a nandroid backup you can revert to. also it's best not to get your expectations too high just yet, because it works wonderfully in ROM manager, but doesn't quite shine when you have to install each package one at a time :)

hotadef

Dec 20, 2007
Sounds cool and if you can keep up with the mods that keep coming out this sound like it can really be something.

oka1

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 4, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Like the idea

I hate bloatware i'm interested

Actually, if eventually the link could provide it in this menu format I think most advanced users would like it

I ll keep my eye out for it

sonofskywalker3

Jan 22, 2009
Just to give you guys an idea of the scope of the project for the fascinate, here is my existing rom manager manifest. if you don't understand everything that's going on, just mainly look for the stuff in quotes. I started this about a month ago and it's grown almost constantly. I'm still adding stuff to it also, and if this takes off i'd love for the vibrant port to get the same number of choices.

http://www.androiddoes.net/sonofskywalker3/Manifest/Sonofskywalker3_Manifest.js

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, I'm a developer on the Samsung Fascinate. I developed the Blackhole Custom rom for it. Basically what Blackhole is, is a stripped-down version of the stock rom with almost nothing pre-installed. After installing the base you are able to select what else you want to install, and what you don't. I'm thinking about branching out some and would like to know if there is anyone interested in something like this for the vibrant. If you want to see some details and feedback from users on the fascinate check out www.androiddoes.net/sonofskywalker3, or the Fascinate development boards here on XDA.

Heres an overview of how it works (on the fascinate, and eventually vibrant if there's anyone who wants me to port it):

Open ROM manager
    Select Download ROM
    Select Sonofskywalker3
    Choose Blackhole Custom ROM
    Choose a Bootanimation
    Choose a Calendar App
    Choose a Desk Clock app
    Choose a Kernel
    Choose a Launcher
    Choose a Theme
    Choose any extra programs, mods, live wallpapers, or other extras you want installed with the ROM
    Reboot to install

And once it's installed, my section of ROM manager will be full of different flashable options, so if you decide you want to change to something else, you can.

This way you can have a phone with exactly what you want, and nothing else on it, to save space and battery life.

Since I don't have a Vibrant myself I will need a few Beta testers before I can release a public build. So please, if this sounds like something you would want on your phone, let me know. If there's no desire for something like this on the vibrant, just ignore this thread and it will get buried.

Thank you for your time.