TWRP-ROOT Android Pie XZ1

Search This thread

theflanker

Jun 13, 2012
Sony Xperia 5
What's needed:

• latest Android Pie firmware for Xperia XZ1 (I used 47.2.A.4.41_R4C UK or any version of the 47.2.A.6.30) from XperiFirm
  • newflasher_v13 tool here
  • Minimal ADB and Fastboot
  • TWRP Recovery here
  • last Magisk.zip here

first copy Magisk.zip to the sd card and insert it into the device

Install TWRP:

1. launch flashtool and download the latest firmware 47.2.A.4.41_R4C with XperiFirm ....
  2. follow the path C: users / name / .flashTool / firmwares / Download
  3. locate the unzipped firmware, open the folder and delete all the .ta files; then open the boot and partition folders and do the same thing
  4. search the internet or XDA newflasher_v13 tool and place all 7 files in the C: users / name / .flashTool / firmwares / Download / 47.2.A.4.41_R4C folder
  5. connect the device in flash mode
  6. launch the .exe command
  7. press "n" and again "n"
  8. finished the firmware flash unplug the phone
  9. When the first ignition is finished, open the debug and connect the mobile phone to the PC
  10. open the folder Minimal in the path C: Program / Minimal and paste in the folder the recovery.img, run cmd.exe type the following commands

Code:
    adb devices
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot devices
    fastboot flash recovery namerecovery.img
    fastboot reboot
  11. finished the start of the phone, turn it off and go into recovery mode (volume down + power button)
  12. flash Magisk from the sd
  13. turn on the cell phone and the root is done

Special thanks

oF2pks for the TWRP
munjeni for the newflasher

Last edited:

theflanker

Jun 13, 2012
Sony Xperia 5
So, what do we lose in this process? Granted it's been reported that the camera is working without the need for a DRM fix, but do we lose other things like video and sound enchantment options?

In my experience I can tell you that nothing is lost on the camera neither in the sound effects nor the color effects on the photos ...

I have pie stock...can i start guide from point 10 ?

Absolutely yes

From the use I note that the recovery doesn't read the internal data, but only the sd card. I still don't understand if it's the firmware that has bugs or the twrp that still isn't calibrated for Adroid Pie.

Edit: I found in the XDA site the recovery for the new firmwre and everything works fine here

Last edited:

dwang040

May 15, 2016
Wait... I'm confused. I need an unlocked bootloader for this correct? Also, am I missing a step? I can't seem to unlock the bootloader. I have the key from Sony, but whenever I turn off the phone and try to enter bootloader mode (volume up + usb charger), the notification light turns blue, and that's it. Nothing appears on my screen, if I type fastboot devices, no devices appear as listed. And if I try to run the line of code, I'm just stuck "waiting for device" and nothing happens? Am I being stupid and missing something? Don't remember having this many issues with my htc m9.

lilbrat

Jun 13, 2011
Amman
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
Nothing Phone 2
Wait... I'm confused. I need an unlocked bootloader for this correct? Also, am I missing a step? I can't seem to unlock the bootloader. I have the key from Sony, but whenever I turn off the phone and try to enter bootloader mode (volume up + usb charger), the notification light turns blue, and that's it. Nothing appears on my screen, if I type fastboot devices, no devices appear as listed. And if I try to run the line of code, I'm just stuck "waiting for device" and nothing happens? Am I being stupid and missing something? Don't remember having this many issues with my htc m9.

Are your drivers properly installed reason I am asking is you're not getting a return when you type in fastboot devices, go back to you developer setting, revoke your debugging , then reinstall your drivers turn on USB debugging and see what happens?

dwang040

May 15, 2016
Are your drivers properly installed reason I am asking is you're not getting a return when you type in fastboot devices, go back to you developer setting, revoke your debugging , then reinstall your drivers turn on USB debugging and see what happens?

Hmm, I think I know why it wasn't working? I got the xperia xz1 drivers off of the sony developer website, and I went to device manager and tried to do the legacy driver install, but I keep getting "This device cannot start (code 10)" Maybe that's the issue? And if so, am I installing it wrong or something?

theflanker

Jun 13, 2012
Sony Xperia 5

did you install flashtool? did you install the drivers from the flashtool "drivers" folder? Did you unlocked the bootloader? ther'is no need to work on win10 signature

dwang040

May 15, 2016
did you install flashtool? did you install the drivers from the flashtool "drivers" folder? Did you unlocked the bootloader? ther'is no need to work on win10 signature

I was under the impression that flash tool is used to get the latest version of the pi (which I already have as the update rolled out a few days ago)? Not for unlocking the bootloader? As for my bootloader, I'm stuck on that step. I'm following sony's steps on unlocking the bootloader, however, I'm stuck on the fastboot as my device isn't recognized. I guess I'll try again from the top, uninstall all the current drivers and reinstall them again.

I also want to add, whenever I plug my phone in into bootloader mode, the pc does recognize that a device is connected as the notification pops up, but again, "fastboot devices" returns nothing. Is there supposed to be a screen for the bootloader? Or is it just a black screen with the blue led?

Last edited:

lilbrat

Jun 13, 2011
Amman
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
Nothing Phone 2
you have to unlock the bootloader

He won't be able to unlock his bl till he figures out the issues with his drivers.. whether he uses the ones in flashtool, installs min adb and fastboot drivers or the android sdk..

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

I was under the impression that flash tool is used to get the latest version of the pi (which I already have as the update rolled out a few days ago)? Not for unlocking the bootloader? As for my bootloader, I'm stuck on that step. I'm following sony's steps on unlocking the bootloader, however, I'm stuck on the fastboot as my device isn't recognized. I guess I'll try again from the top, uninstall all the current drivers and reinstall them again.

I also want to add, whenever I plug my phone in into bootloader mode, the pc does recognize that a device is connected as the notification pops up, but again, "fastboot devices" returns nothing. Is there supposed to be a screen for the bootloader? Or is it just a black screen with the blue led?

Once you get your driver's fixed, just follow the directions given by Sony.. Your phone screen will remain black as all info will be done on your computer..

Reactions: tombbb

theflanker

Jun 13, 2012
Sony Xperia 5

Absolutely no, flashtool doesn't need to unlock the bootloader, rather serves to re-lock it in some xperia devices. To unlock it you have to use cmd commands in adb & fastboot, but you can find it here in the XZ1 section.
The cell screen remains black and a blue led appears if you connect in fastboot mode, if you connect in flash mode the screen remains black, but a green LED appears.
if you have problems with the recognition of the device on your PC I can link my guide, it's in italian but if you use google translator you understand it well here

Last edited:
Reactions: tombbb

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What's needed:

• latest Android Pie firmware for Xperia XZ1 (I used 47.2.A.4.41_R4C UK or any version of the 47.2.A.6.30) from XperiFirm
    • newflasher_v13 tool here
    • Minimal ADB and Fastboot
    • TWRP Recovery here
    • last Magisk.zip here

first copy Magisk.zip to the sd card and insert it into the device

Install TWRP:

1. launch flashtool and download the latest firmware 47.2.A.4.41_R4C with XperiFirm ....
    2. follow the path C: users / name / .flashTool / firmwares / Download
    3. locate the unzipped firmware, open the folder and delete all the .ta files; then open the boot and partition folders and do the same thing
    4. search the internet or XDA newflasher_v13 tool and place all 7 files in the C: users / name / .flashTool / firmwares / Download / 47.2.A.4.41_R4C folder
    5. connect the device in flash mode
    6. launch the .exe command
    7. press "n" and again "n"
    8. finished the firmware flash unplug the phone
    9. When the first ignition is finished, open the debug and connect the mobile phone to the PC
    10. open the folder Minimal in the path C: Program / Minimal and paste in the folder the recovery.img, run cmd.exe type the following commands

Code:
      adb devices
      adb reboot bootloader
      fastboot devices
      fastboot flash recovery namerecovery.img
      fastboot reboot
    11. finished the start of the phone, turn it off and go into recovery mode (volume down + power button)
    12. flash Magisk from the sd
    13. turn on the cell phone and the root is done

Special thanks

oF2pks for the TWRP
    munjeni for the newflasher
    So, what do we lose in this process? Granted it's been reported that the camera is working without the need for a DRM fix, but do we lose other things like video and sound enchantment options?

In my experience I can tell you that nothing is lost on the camera neither in the sound effects nor the color effects on the photos ...

I have pie stock...can i start guide from point 10 ?

Absolutely yes

From the use I note that the recovery doesn't read the internal data, but only the sd card. I still don't understand if it's the firmware that has bugs or the twrp that still isn't calibrated for Adroid Pie.

Edit: I found in the XDA site the recovery for the new firmwre and everything works fine here
    Can the method be implemented on the xz1 G8342 phone?

I can confirm it does work..
    Well, after a bit trial and error, I did get my ta. backed up and reinstall and rooted my device.. And I can confirm that everything is working fine.. so far..
    Sorry for the late reply, check out the screen shot, is it still functional.. Also is the latest twrp you have posted working on the latest version?

Yes, it works and if you want to change the themes you can use the versions for 3.2.1