Would you still get the Gear?

Search This thread

Jerry69

Dec 16, 2011
as the title says, would you buy again a gear today? or in the end it was an awful choice?

hurdlejade

Sep 29, 2012
It would be an awful choice if I couldn't use Null ROM. But then on the other hand, all other smart watches currently released have way too limited functionality for what I would like SW to do.
So, stock Gear? Give me my money back.
Null ROM? I keep my gear.

BlackZenith

Dec 23, 2011
Yes. Although I did return my Galaxy Gear after Christmas to wait for the Gear 2. I'll be buying the Gear 2 over the Galaxy Gear. I think the watch is handy, especially when the Note 3 is in my pocket. I'm not looking for a toy or something to replace my Note 3, so I am satisfied with stock.

ronfurro

Oct 24, 2013
O-Town
I would think this question would be better asked in the Gear General section but,

Yes, stock it is expensive crap. Null makes it amazing!

The bottom line is buy old Galaxy Gear for cheap or buy new Gear 2.... and that really depends on your $$$ and if Tizen is as unrestrictive as they are claiming it will be. So either way your good but rooting it is a must, and getting Null on it is key.

BlGPAPA1321

Nov 30, 2011
VA
Samsung Galaxy S21+
I love my gear with null rom as it sits today. If I were in the market to buy a smart watch I would just wait til the NeptunePine is released.

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

AndiF85

Jan 26, 2013
It would be an awful choice if I couldn't use Null ROM. But then on the other hand, all other smart watches currently released have way too limited functionality for what I would like SW to do.
So, stock Gear? Give me my money back.
Null ROM? I keep my gear.

I agree! If the gg 2 is at the right price I may purchase, but the asking price for the gg was too much. I luckily picked mine up for half the price from a mate that got it free with his note 3.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

guisof

Feb 5, 2008
I own the Sony smartwatch 2. It is quite good with the stock. I just purchased the gear 1 at a bargain price in France to test it (60€!) And will root and install null ROM as a start.

From the Galaxy

Samuel Sung

Jun 16, 2011
I would buy it again. Cause it's even cheaper ^^ i have the hope that it will be possible to bring Samsungs Ultrapowersaving mode onto the gear. This is the only concearn i have about it...Batterydrain. Currently it runs on 2 cores 400mHz-1100mHz...still laggy sometimes...which annoyes cause of the clock syncing...

But i like this little thing...

GG2 is a no go with Tizen as long as i am not sure about the possibilities...

Skeleton

Dec 1, 2005
Vancouver, BC
No.

In the previous year I had the Sony Smartwatch. After 2 weeks of continuous use, and serious effort to make the best of it, I stopped using it. I was disappointed mostly with the dim display which made it hard to use outside.

Last fall I got the Galaxy Gear, just weeks after it was available. Again, I made a concerted effort to use it and make the most of its functionality. But after a few weeks, again I stopped using it. My disappointment was:

MAJOR FAILINGS
- Bluetooth connection often fails when running outside (wanting to track performance on Runtastic app).
- Buggy (notification of missed calls)

POOR DESIGN
- Not adequately weather proof.
- Short battery life.
- Noisy when taking camera photo.

POOR FUTURE
- Very few third party apps. Evidence of now future apps being developed.
- Don't like that third party apps often use lots of resources on Note-3 phone.

I won't upgrade to the Galaxy Gear 2 either - since I have lots confidence in this type of device (smart watch).

Samuel Sung

Jun 16, 2011
Curios to me that so many people does not like the design i like it. But Gear 2 is better. Except for the removed lock key and the removed screws...
- Noisy when taking camera photo.
Nope not with Null rom. Photo taking is quiet.
Blame the government fot the sound. ;)

POOR FUTURE
- Very few third party apps. Evidence of now future apps being developed.
But other smartwatches use android. Devs developing apps for them? or not? In future Smartwatches will a normal thing. if the android smartwatch itself grows. The Galaxy Gear with android grows too...

I won't upgrade to the Galaxy Gear 2 either - since I have lots confidence in this type of device (smart watch).

I hope Tizen fails and they will bring back an Android Gear with the Note 4...Tizen makes this a nogo for me. Because of the compatibility to android...for the moment...

animatechnica

Dec 12, 2010
Freakmont
Taizen will and feel like Touchwiz. This way the regular consumer will not notice the engine underneath. The same will likely happen to phones down the road as samsung wants to have control of their own ecosystem. Soon many more apps will appear on the samsung app store that mimics thier android counterpart and the majority of users will not notice they are using tizen, nor will they care as long as they have the 'samsung experience'

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

Clarky78

Dec 11, 2010
I think the Gear is great fun. It's not meant to be a fancy mini phone which I think too many people think it is/should be.

However, I just put Null on last night and either Iäm really missing something or I just don't get it. But. I prefer stock. It's fussy, trying to be a tiny phone which is pointless and it destroys battery. Stock up to 4 day usually 3 days and recharge at 20% or so, Null, less than 1 day, barely touched the watch, 20% after 18 hours. Rubbish! Only thing it has gained for me is the ability to see Facebook messenger (technically, as message received today didn't show) although you can't reply which kinda makes it pointless, and also Gmail, but again can't reply so kinda pointless. Unless reading around, I find something that everyone else is getting excited about Null, iäm flashing stick back. I way prefer the simple look of it too.

So for me, stock GG is great, but buy of eBay or something cause 300 is way too much

Reactions: BlackZenith

animatechnica

Dec 12, 2010
Freakmont
I think the Gear is great fun. It's not meant to be a fancy mini phone which I think too many people think it is/should be.

However, I just put Null on last night and either Iäm really missing something or I just don't get it. But. I prefer stock. It's fussy, trying to be a tiny phone which is pointless and it destroys battery. Stock up to 4 day usually 3 days and recharge at 20% or so, Null, less than 1 day, barely touched the watch, 20% after 18 hours. Rubbish! Only thing it has gained for me is the ability to see Facebook messenger (technically, as message received today didn't show) although you can't reply which kinda makes it pointless, and also Gmail, but again can't reply so kinda pointless. Unless reading around, I find something that everyone else is getting excited about Null, iäm flashing stick back. I way prefer the simple look of it too.

So for me, stock GG is great, but buy of eBay or something cause 300 is way too much

I think you are missing the whole point of null ROM...do a little of homework

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

Sandy_samuel

Mar 23, 2014
Just picked up a GG for £125 in o2, so far quite impressed, not blown away, but by the time I can upgrade (Galaxy note 4,5?), hopefully the third iteration will be kicking about, it's brilliant as a media remote (as beats don't allow for volume up /down etc. ) feedly is fun to.

All in all, yes I think I would by another iteration of the GG.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.