Newb-Friendly Guide to Rooting Moto G 4G LTE(peregrine)

Search This thread

Hitorijanae

Feb 23, 2011
Newark
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 7T
Remember! Rooting the Moto G 4G LTE will void your warranty! Neither I, nor the XDA-Developers Forum is responsible for bricked devices!

What you'll need

Code:
1. A Moto G 4G LTE running Android 4.4.3 KitKat. (Codenamed peregrine or xt1045)
2. The Moto G xt1032 TeamWin Recovery Image (attached to this post, Thanks TeamWin)
3. ADB and Fastboot Drivers. You can get these from the regular Moto G Toolkit.
4. The [URL="http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu"]SuperSU[/URL] zip (thanks Chainfire)
5. A brain.

First, you'll need to unlock the bootloader on your Moto G. This can be done from the Motorola bootloader unlock website. This will delete all your data!

Reboot your Moto G, and plug it into your computer with the USB cable, then copy the SuperSU zip to the Internal Storage(NOT the sdcard)

Next, copy the TeamWin Recovery image to the same location as your installed ADB and Fastboot.

Open a command prompt, or terminal in Linux/Mac, and execute the cd command.
Code:
cd /path/to/folder/with/recoveryandadb

Next, boot into the bootloader by powering down, and pressing the power and volume down buttons simultaneously.

Then, type this exactly
Code:
fastboot boot recovery.img

Finally, when TWRP loads, go to install and navigate to the location of the SuperSU zip in the internal storage.

Reboot, and enjoy a rooted Moto G 4G LTE

Attachments

• openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-xt1032.img
    7.5 MB · Views: 19,387

ChavitoArg

Aug 13, 2011
Why u fastboot boot instead of installing? Wont hurt your device. Also if TWRP is overwritted by stock recovery u can disable that function.
Delete or rename "recovery-from-boot.p" from /system

Enviado desde mi Moto G mediante Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hitorijanae

Feb 23, 2011
Newark
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 7T
Why u fastboot boot instead of installing? Wont hurt your device. Also if TWRP is overwritted by stock recovery u can disable that function.

The reason is because when I tried fastboot flash, it damaged the recovery partition, and since the stock images for the 4G LTE version haven't been released yet, I couldn't get a stock recovery image. So, recovery would just say "boot failed"

ChavitoArg

Aug 13, 2011
The reason is because when I tried fastboot flash, it damaged the recovery partition, and since the stock images for the 4G LTE version haven't been released yet, I couldn't get a stock recovery image. So, recovery would just say "boot failed"
How did u "damage" recovery partition?

roygbiv856

Jun 19, 2014
EDIT: Nevermind. I figured it out and it worked great! Wahoo!

When I type in "cd /path/to/folder/with/recoveryandadb", it says "the system cannot find the path specified"?

Last edited:

LewisAGarcia

Jun 19, 2014

Code:

Next, boot into the bootloader by powering down, and pressing the power and volume down buttons simultaneously.

Then, type this exactly
Code:

Finally, when TWRP loads, go to install and navigate to the location of the SuperSU zip in the internal storage.

So after typing in exactly "fastboot boot recovery.img", it didn't work.

EDIT: Nevermind, got it to work. Not too confusing actually, thanks.

Last edited:

bigjackt

Apr 17, 2014
Worked! Restore ?

Hi

Your instructions worked properly on both G 4Gs I recently purchased.
However, one of the phones is having problems with the SD card. Keeps saying it was
removed unexpectedly.

I want to restore the phone to factory with boot loader locked so I can ship it back for warranty.
2 Questions:
How do I restore it?
Has unlocking boot loader and rooting it left a trace that the show ?

Thanks

Triggeh

Jan 13, 2014
Edit: worked on my xt1039 as a temporary solution If anyone is feeling experimental

One of the phones is having problems with the SD card. Keeps saying it was
removed unexpectedly.

I want to restore the phone to factory with boot loader locked so I can ship it back for warranty.
2 Questions:
How do I restore it?
Has unlocking boot loader and rooting it left a trace that the show ?

Thanks

The sdcard issue is a known problem with some cards, check this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783238 supposedly motorola is working on a fix. Do note that this phone will not use UHS-1 or UHS-2 speeds so buying those cards is a waste of money. Check this out aswell:https://forums.motorola.com/posts/7e59cc7baf

If you still have your receipt maybe you can return the card for a different model and try it in store? Depending on how/when you purchased it also I would avoid class-10 or UHS cards as those seem to be less likely to work in this device currently.

1. Turn the phone off hold power and volume down for a few seconds let go and you should instantly see a menu pop up. Navigation: Volume down scrolls down then goes back to the top of the list, volume up selects power... reboots.

You voided the warranty when you unlocked the bootloader, unless your in UK you can't return it. Returning it probably won't fix the issue anyway, they did say they were working on a fix but until that is available I doubt they can help you.

2.You input your device code when you unlocked it on motorola's website unless there is a way to change that to a legitimate one then no, I highly doubt you can hide that you unlocked the bootloader.

Last edited:

jensen2112

Oct 13, 2011
XT1045?

I have the Moto G 4G LTE XT1045. This file is from the other Moto G, the original one (falcon). Doing this in my phone will not brick it?

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina
I have the Moto G 4G LTE XT1045. This file is from the other Moto G, the original one (falcon). Doing this in my phone will not brick it?

Note for the new ones here:

XT1045 is code name "peregrine" the other Moto G's, with exception of the UK, and probably other 4G LTE..All other models are code name "falcon"..the two are NOT compatible..

Moto X code name is "ghost"
Droid Maxx code name is "obake"

The above mentioned are NOT interchangeable.. (UNLESS) you are a Dev and experienced in Porting..

Sent from my 4.4.3_21.23.4
(Unlocked) XT1045 Moto G 4G LTE
http://waynekent.com/page6.html

Last edited:

Sleepy!

Jul 20, 2010

XT1045 is code name "peregrine" the other Moto G's, with exception of the UK, and probably other 4G LTE..All other models are code name "falcon"..the two are NOT compatible..

The above mentioned are NOT interchangeable.. (UNLESS) you are a Dev and experienced in Porting..

XT1039 is Peregrene as well.

Reactions: schakusa and NWKENT

Viqsi

Jul 13, 2014
Columbus, OH

So far as I can tell, no. The command being used with that image is "fastboot boot", not "fastboot flash". The former is (so far as I can tell) a "download this image and use it to boot once" command; it (if I'm reading correctly) wouldn't actually overwrite the recovery on your phone. The latter, OTOH, would surely overwrite your recovery, and would probably be ill-advised here (judging by some other posts, the OP gave it a try and subsequently recovery on the OP's phone stopped working).

So unless that recovery image is so horribly broken that even just booting with it will release the magic smoke (unlikely, as I doubt TeamWin would release it in that state :) ), I suspect it'd be fine. Probably. Just make sure you get the command right!

DISCLAIMER: I'm not actually fully familiar with fastboot myself, but I've worked with similar utilities on similar devices before (in particular, for my old Nokia N900). Have seen similar distinctions between "use this image this one time only" and "flash this image to the device and use it", though, so I'm feeling good about what amounts to an educated guess here.

Guardian29

Jul 19, 2014
Hey guys so I did this fully, seemed to work, but when I go back and launch bootloader and try to run recovery it says "boot failed"

Initially I installed SuperSU through TWRP like stated and functions, but I feel like I dont actually have a recovery installed..?

jensen2112

Oct 13, 2011
So far as I can tell, no. The command being used with that image is "fastboot boot", not "fastboot flash". The former is (so far as I can tell) a "download this image and use it to boot once" command; it (if I'm reading correctly) wouldn't actually overwrite the recovery on your phone. The latter, OTOH, would surely overwrite your recovery, and would probably be ill-advised here (judging by some other posts, the OP gave it a try and subsequently recovery on the OP's phone stopped working).

So unless that recovery image is so horribly broken that even just booting with it will release the magic smoke (unlikely, as I doubt TeamWin would release it in that state :) ), I suspect it'd be fine. Probably. Just make sure you get the command right!

DISCLAIMER: I'm not actually fully familiar with fastboot myself, but I've worked with similar utilities on similar devices before (in particular, for my old Nokia N900). Have seen similar distinctions between "use this image this one time only" and "flash this image to the device and use it", though, so I'm feeling good about what amounts to an educated guess here.

Thanks. I notice that once I did the process. "fastboot boot" only boot the device, it don't flash anything. In my case I only want the root, this works perfectly for me.

spatuluk

Jun 14, 2010
Stockport
XT1039, here. Worked fine for me!

Now I can actually install apps without worrying about the internal memory evaporating. It's almost as good as Gingerbread! :silly:

bezoomny

Jul 29, 2014
install 4.4.4 after root.

Thanks for this guide it worked perfectly.

But what is the newbiest way to remove root, install 4.4.4 update.
And return to root. I tried using the supersu app to un-root but it didn't work.

Brian D

Feb 18, 2014
Oceanside, Ca
Has anyone tried this method? http://www.droidviews.com/root-moto-g-4g-lte/

Seems I am torn between fastboot boot as described in this tread, or the fastboot flash described in the droidviews instructions. Although I am not interested in ROMs, I do want the ability to backup and restore the way TWRP does it. I have TWRP on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.

The two files associated with this TWRP boot/flash are:

twrp-2.7.1.0-peregrine-201407161845.img (from droidviews instructions)
openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-xt1032 (from this thread)

Thanks

vpnair

Jun 12, 2010
Melbourne

Seems I am torn between fastboot boot as described in this tread, or the fastboot flash described in the droidviews instructions. Although I am not interested in ROMs, I do want the ability to backup and restore the way TWRP does it. I have TWRP on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.

Thanks

fastboot boot --> temporary boot from computer, no files modified on device
fastboot flash --> files are modified on device

This thread (OLD) --> The recovery in this thread is actually for Moto G (falcon). Do NOT fastboot flash - it will not work for our devie (Moto G 4G - peregrine). Only fastboot boot works. It was useful for installing SuperSu and gaining root (but you couldn't boot into custom recovery again without computer as it remained stock recovery)

Moto G 4G Development Thread on CWM, TWRP and Philz recoveries (NEW) --> These are fully functional recoveries specific for the Moto G 4G (peregrine) - Our device! Thus we can 'fastboot flash' onto our device and it will work. Droidviews has done a nice guide on how to 'Fastboot flash' with TWRP. But you can flash the otehr two recoveries too (just download the file from the thread and flash like droidviews says). Choose whichever you prefer!

You can then install SuperSU for root, and reboot into recovery at any time to install/backup/restore etc with recovery.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Remember! Rooting the Moto G 4G LTE will void your warranty! Neither I, nor the XDA-Developers Forum is responsible for bricked devices!

What you'll need

Code:
    1. A Moto G 4G LTE running Android 4.4.3 KitKat. (Codenamed peregrine or xt1045)
    2. The Moto G xt1032 TeamWin Recovery Image (attached to this post, Thanks TeamWin)
    3. ADB and Fastboot Drivers. You can get these from the regular Moto G Toolkit.
    4. The [URL="http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu"]SuperSU[/URL] zip (thanks Chainfire)
    5. A brain.

First, you'll need to unlock the bootloader on your Moto G. This can be done from the Motorola bootloader unlock website. This will delete all your data!

Reboot your Moto G, and plug it into your computer with the USB cable, then copy the SuperSU zip to the Internal Storage(NOT the sdcard)

Next, copy the TeamWin Recovery image to the same location as your installed ADB and Fastboot.

Code:

Then, type this exactly
    Code:

Reboot, and enjoy a rooted Moto G 4G LTE

Thanks

fastboot boot --> temporary boot from computer, no files modified on device
    fastboot flash --> files are modified on device

This thread (OLD) --> The recovery in this thread is actually for Moto G (falcon). Do NOT fastboot flash - it will not work for our devie (Moto G 4G - peregrine). Only fastboot boot works. It was useful for installing SuperSu and gaining root (but you couldn't boot into custom recovery again without computer as it remained stock recovery)

Moto G 4G Development Thread on CWM, TWRP and Philz recoveries (NEW) --> These are fully functional recoveries specific for the Moto G 4G (peregrine) - Our device! Thus we can 'fastboot flash' onto our device and it will work. Droidviews has done a nice guide on how to 'Fastboot flash' with TWRP. But you can flash the otehr two recoveries too (just download the file from the thread and flash like droidviews says). Choose whichever you prefer!

You can then install SuperSU for root, and reboot into recovery at any time to install/backup/restore etc with recovery.

XT1039 is Peregrene as well.
    I bit the bullet and flashed a stock firmware using this thread.

I already had the Motorola drivers and adb installed from rooting the phone previously (I installed adb using the 15 second adb installer, so the adb and fastboot commands work from anywhere)
    • Download stock firmware for the phone from this thread (For my UK XT1039, I used Android 4.4.3 (Retail EU) KXB21.14-L1.31).
    • Extract the zipped firmware to the hard drive.
    • Open a command prompt and change directory to the extracted firmware location.
    • Reboot the phone into bootloader mode (turn off, hold volume down, tap power).
    • Plug in the USB.
    • Execute these commands in the command prompt to flash the firmware (it might work as a script, if you paste it into a .bat file. I preferred to do it line by line, in case an error occurred):
    Code:
    fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
    fastboot flash logo logo.bin
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot reboot

That's it, and it worked - it let me do an OTA update to 4.4.4. I suppose I could've done that by choosing a 4.4.4 firmware, but meh. :p

Naturally, my class 10 memory card STILL doesn't work. :rolleyes: